July 1st, 2011 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

There’s always a ton of new stuff to find in MOTHER 3 – in terms of size, it’s packed with almost 11 times as much data as EarthBound was. I think we’ll be discovering new stuff for years, if not decades to come.

I recently came across some new stuff on some Japanese sites, so I’ll share it with English-speakers now!

• It’s nothing special, but after you beat the game, all the songs in the sound player will have their titles revealed. But if you then delete your save game, apparently all the titles will still remain revealed. I haven’t tried it myself, anyone know if this works?
  • If a character likes cheese, the HP they regain from eating it increases. This is nothing new. But apparently Lucas’s personal preference is decided by what you name him – if his name has an odd number of letters, he’ll like cheese, and if it’s an even number, he’ll hate cheese.

I haven’t tried this out myself, so if anyone knows if this is true or not, please let me know!

There’s so much in the ROM – I really feel like we’ve only scratched the surface in terms of finding out little secrets and unused content. So here’s hoping we’ll keep finding stuff out over the years 😀

14 Comments to Some MOTHER 3 Tidbits

Fortenium said on Jul. 1, 2011

I can actually say the first thing works. Personal experience. When I could barely any Japanese, I accidentally removed my clear save file. One day, while messing around, I saw all of the music titles were still in place. I was excited because I had proof I had beaten the game.

gwalms said on Jul. 1, 2011

Well.. my name was odd and I happened to like cheese.. So that doesn’t disprove that theory..

LucasPSI said on Jul. 1, 2011

nice find’s the 2nd one seemes interesting. 🙂

Cheese in Mother 3. : danbruno.net said on Jul. 1, 2011

[…] a post on EarthBound Central: If a character likes cheese, the HP they regain from eating it increases. This is nothing new. But […]

Miche said on Jul. 2, 2011

Next time I play the game the whole way through, I’m going to have to test out that bit about Lucas and cheese.

PKPwnsome Omega said on Jul. 2, 2011

In both my files he likes cheese. But one is odd (Lucas) and one is even.(Tobias)

So… yeah.

Greiv said on Jul. 2, 2011

o_o

I love things like these, keep it up!

Jungyin said on Jul. 2, 2011

@PKPwnsome Omega
That little Easter egg might have been lost during the hacking process, so we’ll need to test it with an original Japanese cart to be sure.

Mato said on Jul. 2, 2011

Yeah, if this is really the case, then when we expanded the character names we might not have made the appropriate changes to the thing that does this check. The problem is that it takes so long from the naming screen up until you control Lucas, so I can’t easily test it without taking forever. I could mess with his name in RAM, but that wouldn’t help if the game does the check right after the naming screen and sets a variable then.

RandomGuardian said on Jul. 2, 2011

I love how were finding new things. The cheese fact was totally new to me.
My favorite things are when Itoi puts insignificant things in hidden places like when you check a stump table in (insert lumberjack dudes name)’s house and get a unique message. I never found that out until my 3rd playthrough 😀

Miche said on Jul. 2, 2011

@PKPwnsome Omega Maybe it only works in the Japanese version for whatever reason.

(Also, this is off-topic, but do you happen to be an Agota Kristof fan? I’m asking because the protagonist of her novel Yesterday [only novel of hers that isn’t about the original Lucas and Claus] is named Tobias.)

Someone or other said on Jul. 3, 2011

When I played as Dude, Dude (Lucas) wasn’t fond of cheese.

When I played as Doughnut, he loved it.

They’re both even…?

PKPwnsome Omega said on Jul. 3, 2011

Ah. Thanks.

BTW, no.

ajmax8462 said on Mar. 28, 2013

The cheese thing is inverted for other characters.
(Even likes, odd hates)
I accidentally found this out as I was playing with Kumatora named Chell (portal fans, don’t be shy) and gave her cheese.