July 27th, 2011 | Merchandise, MOTHER 3

In the last few months, I’ve noticed (non-Deluxe Box) MOTHER 3 prices on eBay starting to rise higher than I’ve ever seen. Complete copies used to sell for $45, which even then I felt was overpriced, but lately it’s been creeping into the $65-$70 or higher range, in a way that reminds me a lot of how EarthBound prices behaved about ten years ago.

Here’s a chart of the average monthly price on eBay for the past 12 months, based only on auctions that actually sold:

You can see an interactive version of the above graph plus the prices from Japanese shops here.

At first, I thought it was just an eBay thing, but checking the prices on Amazon Japan, Yahoo Auctions Japan, and Rakuten, it looks like the price is going up everywhere in general.

The thing is, it’s not as if the game is rare (or even in English for us non-Japanese folks), so it’s odd that it’s going up in price. EarthBound’s the same way, it’s not rare at all, but still costs a lot of money. MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 carts remain pretty cheap, meanwhile.

Remember when MOTHER 3 was like $15 at Play-Asia? Man, those were the days 😛

8 Comments to MOTHER 3 Prices on the Rise

perplexingArticulator said on Jul. 27, 2011

Something tells me I should probably hasten in procuring a copy, particularly given how well the Australian dollar currently trades. Though, I’m more or less determined to (eventually) get a Deluxe Box, and that’ll already cost me my bone marrow regardless of price creeps for the standard version. 😛

man said on Jul. 27, 2011

Hey I just had an idea and I think it might be pretty cool

Okay hear me out

Just a hunch but like, what if they re-released those games, lol

Onion said on Jul. 27, 2011

Remember when the M3 Deluxe boxes clearanced out at Play-Asia? Oh man. Good times.

DJMankiewicz said on Jul. 27, 2011

Prices are on the rise. The first instinct is “buy before it gets too high”, but all that’ll do is make the prices go even higher. The best bet is to stave it off. The time will come when this buzz dies down and the prices all drop. Then you can snag it up.

I recently bought Uniracers. That’s a game that’s genuinely rare, having the production cut short, but it only goes for about $10 right now. I really wouldn’t worry too much about Earthbound or Mother 3 while the prices are so completely out of step with their rarity.

Mato said on Jul. 27, 2011

EarthBound’s been on the rise for ten years now, so I hope it finally drops in price. Right now I can only see that happening if everyone suddenly starts hating the game or if it gets a rerelease of some sort, though.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 28, 2011

Poor MOTHER 1 carts. I’ll give them all a home and cherish them like they deserve!

neonix said on Jul. 28, 2011

I noticed this a couple months ago when I started trimming down my collection and sold my MOTHER 3 cart in box on ebay and got about $60 for it. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I see peoepl putting them up buy it now for $89 and even one for $299!! O_O

Big A2 said on Aug. 7, 2011

I can remember my Mother 3 costing something in the $80s, but keep in mind that was in Australian dollars, and back in 2008 when the exchange rate was much different.

Nowadays the Australian exchange rate to the US dollar is about 1:1.