A Tweet from Itoi
In the last few months, I’ve noticed (non-Deluxe Box) MOTHER 3 prices on eBay starting to rise higher than I’ve ever seen. Complete copies used to sell for $45, which even then I felt was overpriced, but lately it’s been creeping into the $65-$70 or higher range, in a way that reminds me a lot of how EarthBound prices behaved about ten years ago.
Here’s a chart of the average monthly price on eBay for the past 12 months, based only on auctions that actually sold:
You can see an interactive version of the above graph plus the prices from Japanese shops here.
At first, I thought it was just an eBay thing, but checking the prices on Amazon Japan, Yahoo Auctions Japan, and Rakuten, it looks like the price is going up everywhere in general.
The thing is, it’s not as if the game is rare (or even in English for us non-Japanese folks), so it’s odd that it’s going up in price. EarthBound’s the same way, it’s not rare at all, but still costs a lot of money. MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 carts remain pretty cheap, meanwhile.
Remember when MOTHER 3 was like $15 at Play-Asia? Man, those were the days 😛
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to MOTHER 3 Prices on the Rise
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.