Man’s Ultimate Friend
In the last few months, I’ve noticed (non-Deluxe Box) MOTHER 3 prices on eBay starting to rise higher than I’ve ever seen. Complete copies used to sell for $45, which even then I felt was overpriced, but lately it’s been creeping into the $65-$70 or higher range, in a way that reminds me a lot of how EarthBound prices behaved about ten years ago.
Here’s a chart of the average monthly price on eBay for the past 12 months, based only on auctions that actually sold:
You can see an interactive version of the above graph plus the prices from Japanese shops here.
At first, I thought it was just an eBay thing, but checking the prices on Amazon Japan, Yahoo Auctions Japan, and Rakuten, it looks like the price is going up everywhere in general.
The thing is, it’s not as if the game is rare (or even in English for us non-Japanese folks), so it’s odd that it’s going up in price. EarthBound’s the same way, it’s not rare at all, but still costs a lot of money. MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 carts remain pretty cheap, meanwhile.
Remember when MOTHER 3 was like $15 at Play-Asia? Man, those were the days 😛
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to MOTHER 3 Prices on the Rise
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...