Random Post:

MOTHER Figures Unboxed

July 29th, 2011 | MOTHER 1, Videos

Good ol’ OKeijiDragon recently dug up an old Japanese video with a preview of MOTHER 1. Since it’s before the game was released, a lot of the stuff shown is slightly different from the final version. It isn’t translated, but you can see all the differences for yourself:

I don’t really have time in the next few days to translate this, but basically the guy is saying simple stuff like, “Oh, this game uses diagonal-like graphics instead of the traditional top-down style. That sure gives the graphics a feeling of depth!” and other general stuff about how many party members you get, the creators behind the game, that kinda stuff, nothing too important.

It’s always really cool when old videos like this are uncovered, so if anyone ever comes across stuff like this, let me know!

17 Comments to MOTHER 1 Beta Video

TalonKhan said on Jul. 29, 2011

A ZOMBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE a tree and a truck walk into a kid…

TalonKhan said on Jul. 29, 2011

I don’t know why I waited so long but I finally made a account! >w>

Carl said on Jul. 29, 2011

KeijiDragon says in the video’s annotations that the English release was planned for September 1991. Where does that date come from?

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2011

Off the top of my head I know there’s this: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/04/earthbound-zero-in-nintendo-power/

But I don’t remember where an actual month was given. It’s possible one was given somewhere, though.

OKeijiDragon said on Jul. 29, 2011

Sorry, everyone. I should have put in Fall of 1991. When I wrote that annotate, I was thinking off the top of my head, and I confused the September for the month NOA actually finished the game in 1991. =P

Source: http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/200407-earthbound2.shtml

It has been fixed. Thanks for pointing it out everyone.

OKeijiDragon said on Jul. 29, 2011

*They finished the game in 1990.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Jul. 29, 2011

BigWoodoh, Mad Truck and PseudoZombi make an odd trio.

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2011

For some reason the SM.Net page for EB0 says September 1991 too, but I don’t know why. Maybe that’s why you were confused.

LakituAl said on Jul. 29, 2011

I only understood certain stuff, like he mentions the party of 3 and Keichi Suzuki being involved with the music. Pffft, 2 semesters of Japanese and only that? Sensei, I have failed you… T.T

-li+_/\_+iI- said on Jul. 29, 2011

Green grass on Holy Loly mountain? Imagine if Pollyanna played there as well

? said on Jul. 29, 2011

Thank you for sharing and annotating, OKeijiDragon!

A-wel Cruiz said on Jul. 30, 2011

Off topic, but I’m having trouble reading Mother 2 vs. Earthbound. For some reason, Threed 2 keeps redirecting me to Winters.

Rex said on Jul. 30, 2011

I saw this on gonintendo.

Mato said on Jul. 30, 2011

A-wel Cruiz: I thought I had fixed that problem recently, I’m sad to see it still happens. For now, it should fix itself over time (like 15 minutes to an hour), or if you delete any earthboundcentral.com cookies and try again, it should work again. It’s some really weird WordPress problem that just won’t go away 🙁

KingDarian said on Aug. 1, 2011

This is from the May 1989 Famimaga video? (http://gameswag.com/view/bimonthly-famimaga-video-may-1989/) I could have sworn I sent this footage to you years ago with other MOTHER clips(like the commercial) when I ordered a bunch of VHS cassettes and DVDs from Yahoo! Japan.

Mato said on Aug. 1, 2011

I don’t remember it, but it’s been so long that maybe you did and maybe I just accidentally didn’t download it for some reason.

OKeijiDragon said on Nov. 29, 2011

MOTHER 1 video translated and subbed!

I forgot to mention this when it was translated (I found this topic again upon seeing the SSBM beta videos), but this video has been translated by GlitterBerri (and subbed by yours truly) for months now:

Those who wanted to know the narration back then but didn’t, now you can. =)