July 22nd, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison section with two more pages:

This time we see what Tendas were called in MOTHER 2, plus take a look at the Eraser Eraser. And some usual nitpicking 😛

Speaking of which, I just realized this, but apparently at some point I changed the format of the pages. Do you like it when pics are after the text (like this) or when it’s before the text (like this)? I’m sure it doesn’t matter much – I only ask because I hope to start similar projects for other games in the near future and early feedback is always good.

22 Comments to M2 vs. EB: Tendas and More

Carl said on Jul. 22, 2011

I like the pictures after the text. Even on the entries with the pictures first, my natural tendency is to scroll down to read the text first, then go back to the pictures. I think it’s more natural to read the text first for context, so I have a better idea of what I’m looking at in the pictures.

Ross said on Jul. 22, 2011

Before text looks more organized IMHO. Also, “Incidentally, this is also why in some Japanese gag manga, you might see some of the character trying to eat members of this tribe.”
*characters
Sorry, just wanted to point this error out for you! It’s in the Tenda section! 🙂

The Great Morgil said on Jul. 22, 2011

I don’t know Japanese (though i wish i did), but i did take German in High School. From what i remember, in German “gumi” basically means “rubber”, but can also be used to describe other things rubber-like, like gummy candy or pencil erasers. For example, if a fellow student asks if they can borrow your gumi, they want your rectangular pink eraser.

Halloween said on Jul. 22, 2011

I’m too legit to quit reading these, so it doesn’t matter whether text or images come first.
I always read the text first so maybe that would save some time if that was above the pictures.

Darien said on Jul. 22, 2011

I prefer the pictures before the text, but it’s not particularly a big deal. Honestly, I hadn’t even noticed you changed formats until you pointed it out.

I wonder if they changed the Gumi tribe to avoid potential legal issues with Disney over their Gummi Bears property.

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2011

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that, that could be it.

Kris said on Jul. 22, 2011

I understand “Kokeshi-keshi Machine” but what’s the pun with the Octopus exactly?

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2011

Honestly, I don’t know, I don’t know if there even is one like we have. The way Iwata and Itoi talked about it during that recent Mother 4 interview makes me think it was just him being weird, not necessarily pun-related.

Kris said on Jul. 22, 2011

Interesting that they would change it in the American version, then. It’s not so much a cultural thing as just making a nonsensical joke sensical (which is apparently not a word). Maybe they just did it so the kokeshi thing made sense.

Kris said on Jul. 22, 2011

Unless it’s supposed to be like, “Ta-kokeshi,” then “kokeshi-keshi.” “Kokeshi” being used both times.

joeymartin64 said on Jul. 22, 2011

After. Best to illustrate after the reader knows specifically what to look for/at.

Starman 99 said on Jul. 22, 2011

I think pics after text is a more natural progression.

Reagle said on Jul. 22, 2011

I always figured they made it Tenda so it could be TEN

ONEtt TWOson THREEd FOURside SUMmers TENda

Then again that leaves out winters so I dunno.

Starman 99 said on Jul. 22, 2011

By the way, the Deep Darkness link on the M2 vs. EB page is gone.

Angryeyebrows17 said on Jul. 22, 2011

Reagle, that’s genius! I never realized that before.

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2011

Starman 99: Thanks, I’ll fix it now.

Angryeyebrows17: Yeah, it’s actually been drifting around the internet for I think almost a decade now, if not more: http://earthboundcentral.com/2010/02/the-earthbound-equation/

DJMankiwitz said on Jul. 22, 2011

Personally I don’t really care which way as long as it’s consistent, so I’ll leave it up to you.

Poe said on Jul. 23, 2011

I always preferred the pictures after the text. Like joeymartin64 said, it helps the reader know what to look for.

Kelsyjones said on Jul. 23, 2011

I prefer the pictures before the text for some reason…

Tansunn said on Jul. 23, 2011

I like the pictures before the text. It just seems like a natural progression. Like show and tell. I’ve never even heard of tell and show.

As for the erasable statues, I also like the English translation better. In M2, it seems like the tako-keshi is just strange and purely a way to set up the kokeshi-keshi pun. In EB, the pencil eraser is a pun to begin with, and while the eraser eraser is a bit odd on its own, it builds upon the previous pencil eraser pun.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 26, 2011

I don’t really like how “Sebastian, chum, was kidnapped!” sounds at all. The word ordering is odd, and I never understood what this guy meant. I think something along the lines of “My pal, Sebastian, was abducted!” would be a bit more natural…

Maybe it’s just me!

Miche said on Jul. 26, 2011

@LucasTizma No, it’s not just you.

I thought the guy was addressing Ness as “chum” at first, but even then the word ordering was strange and unnatural. Then I thought it might’ve been a verbal tic. I don’t think I ever would’ve guessed that “Sebastian, chum” was originally “Sebastian-chan.”