Popular Posts:

None found

July 25th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison section once again, this time with a new page about the Stonehenge base. Among other things, we take a quick look at the Apple of Enlightenment and even how Giygas causes his own downfall.

10 Comments to M2 vs. EB: Stonehenge Base

Poe said on Jul. 25, 2011

That’s interesting about Giygas causing his own downfall! I never made that connection all those times I played EarthBound.

Pwesty said on Jul. 25, 2011

Me either. That’s interesting.

Dave said on Jul. 25, 2011

These and other “uncommon knowledge” posts are by far my favorite things about this site. Thank you.

I found this one particularly interesting because of the insight about the Starmen most likely being biological, and Giygas’s mistake in keeping his biggest threats alive and all in the same place. I also saw someone on a forum mention how the Starmen are “defeated”, as opposed to “destroyed” or “scrapped” as a robot would be.

steinmitz said on Jul. 25, 2011

Is any of the text that depends on whether a certain party member is fallen at the time, like here with Tony’s alternate text if Jeff is defeated, very different in Japanese? Also, I love what you’re doing here, this is great stuff. One thing I was wondering about though, was if you might make a section detailing stuff like the hotel newspaper headlines or the “for sale” sign customer text? In any case, this is a great study and an indispensable resource for Earthbound fans.

Anonymous said on Jul. 25, 2011

I’d like to note that Starmen have a small head, and a thin, wiry figure. Giegue has pretty much the same figure.

Let’s add some more to that. They were both in the original Mother, neither of them has any exposed flesh (Giegue’s in the bubble). They’re all highly advanced extraterrestrials with psychic powers.

I figure that Giegue’s a member of this race of these aliens, “star men”. If my understanding of EB0 is correct, Giegue was pressured into carrying out the rules of his race when he didn’t want to. So maybe the Starmen are the bad guys after all.

Mato said on Jul. 25, 2011

steinmitz: From what I could tell (I had to consult a Japanese site), the text in both games is basically the same in that case.

As for newspaper headlines and such, I’d like to do that sometime, it’s just harder to gather all that info up easily.

BlackSmith said on Jul. 26, 2011

Is there anything special about the Japanese names of the equipments “of Kings”?

Mato said on Jul. 26, 2011

Nothing special that I know of, the term used is this.

JesusLovesNess said on Jul. 30, 2011

So according to that sight, it could mean “the sword of kings” or “the sword of champions”

…I wonder if “Wheaties” is the Breakfast of Kings. If so then maybe it will be one of the few Western food that increases Poo’s HP by more than 6.

asdfjal said on Aug. 3, 2011

so, the dolls are little replicas of ness?