MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

July 9th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Once again, I’ve updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison section, this time with a bunch of stuff about Dungeon Man. Some of it’s a bit picky, hopefully it doesn’t bore too many people 😛

I might’ve mentioned it before, but I’m thinking of doing this sort of thing but with other games in the future. Check out my list and thoughts here, and if you know of any short, older games that might be interesting to look at in detail, lemme know. I got a couple NES games in mind to start off with at some point, but only after I finish this EarthBound stuff, of course!

13 Comments to M2 vs. EB: Dungeon Man

BigDream said on Jul. 9, 2011

IM THE FIRST TO COMMENT!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!

Zoom! said on Jul. 9, 2011

I’m second! yay…

Darien said on Jul. 9, 2011

I don’t agree that they didn’t do anything to make Brick Road’s dialogue seem different. Just in your screenshot, look at the construction “Mr. Jeff” — that’s not a common form in English, and is usually employed in a context implying that the speaker is lowly or subservient. That makes it seem to my eye as though the translators were aware of his “simple laborer” style and attempted to convey that in English, but were probably constrained by political correctness (don’t want his speech to be too classically slave-like).

Anoymous said on Jul. 9, 2011

For some reason, I can’t access the Dungeon Man page at all. Whenever I try, I’m redirected to the Mother 1 vs. Mother 2 page.

Mato said on Jul. 9, 2011

Darien: Actually, the “Mr.” just comes from the fact that he calls Jeff “Jeff-san” in Japanese. Trying to delve into the laborer thing is probably a bit much, by manual labor I meant more like carpentry, etc. anyway. I should’ve been more clear in that regard.

Anonymous: It’s a weird WordPress bug. Keep trying and it will eventually fix itself. Another way is to delete any earthboundcentral.com cookies in your browser and then try again.

LakituAl said on Jul. 9, 2011

I read the text, and it loves me! Yay~!

Anyways, I’ve seen the list of games Mato has in mind and it seems people have already said everything I thought about. Maybe I’d add a lil’ Kirby to the mix (both Adventure and Super Star must be text heavy for a plataformer).

Saturnome said on Jul. 9, 2011

I don’t think the Care Bears ever teamed up with the Lucky Charms guy. In fact I think they are bitter ennemies, trying to monopolize the market of children joy by adding addictive drugs in their stuff.

Also I just wanted to say how much I’m glad that this feature is running again, M2EB is the best thing for super EarthBound nerds. Thanks

no name given said on Jul. 9, 2011

super mario bros 2 vs doki doki panic. The games are both short and so it would be a good idea to do these games.

Crav said on Jul. 10, 2011

Actually Mato, I also always got the impression that Brick Road was sort of a simple working man, kind of guy from the way he talks. It’s just subtle.

There’ve actually been a number of little spots throughout your comparisons where it seems like you might have gotten the wrong impression about the US text. Maybe wrong is too strong a word. I guess different? than I read the meaning.
And then when I see what you’re trying to point out, a little lightbulb goes off in my head and I sort of say to myself “Oh, I guess it COULD be read that way…”

Don’t take this as critisism. If anything, I think it just shows how we all interpret things differently, and the real nuance and complexities that go into translating.

It’s quite fascinating, really.

Mato said on Jul. 10, 2011

I think the point I was trying to make with Brick Road is that his speech pattern in Japanese is very non-standard; if you showed his text to some random person who’d never played the game, they’d *instantly* know he wasn’t speaking standard Japanese. The same doesn’t hold true for the English version, though. The difference in style in Japanese is maybe comparable to the difference between American English and Jamaican English. It’s that obviously different.

Anonymous said on Jul. 10, 2011

I think “Jamacian English” is Creole, which is distinct enough to be considered its own language.

If Mato’s going to work on another one of these, it might as well be games that are long enough to be worth it. Maybe Dragon Quest, Crystalis, Princess Tomato and the Salad Kingdom, something like that.

But I wouldn’t complain if you think it’s more fun to do River City Ransom.

Anonymous said on Jul. 10, 2011

Oh man, I totally didn’t notice that list. I’ll vote for Illusion of Gaia. The game was written by Mariko Ohara, who might be pretty accomplished according to Wikipedia:

1980 Nihon SF Taisho Award for Senso-wo Enjita Kamigamitachi
1991 Seiun Award for Haiburiddo Chairudo
President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of Japan from September 1999 to September 2001.

Mato said on Jul. 10, 2011

Wow, that IS impressive. I’ll have to give it a shot sometime. I never played the game before, though I read all about it in Nintendo Power and other mags at the time like crazy. Something like this would be a good chance to finally play it!