GameStop Has Some EarthBound Stuff
Shigesato Itoi’s main job nowadays is mostly just chatting with and interviewing all kinds of people, and today I stumbled across a recent multi-part discussion he had with an illustrator and book designer (Ayumi Ohashi), and at one point he briefly brings up some MOTHER stuff.
(context: Ohashi is talking about working with different types of people and how different people will act differently toward design ideas she would propose to them)
Itoi: Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Working with other people in a team is always that way.
Itoi: That’s how it always is. When we were working on games called “MOTHER”, I decided who I wanted to team up with because one person had said, “Programmers aren’t allowed to say ‘no’.” Basically, that programmers can’t say, “We can’t do that,” to any ideas we would come up with.
After hearing this from one of the programmers – who happens to be the president of Nintendo now – I said, “Oh?! I can just tell you to do whatever I want?” To which he responded, “Of course. That IS your job, after all, Mr. Itoi.”
Itoi: He told me, “Only at the very end, as a last resort, should one say, ‘We can’t do that.'” Having him say that made everything so much easier on me.
He’s of course talking about Satoru Iwata, who had been brought in to save MOTHER 2 from cancellation with his programming skills. Now that I think about it, Iwata also helped get MOTHER 3 released on the GBA too after the N64 game’s cancellation. He’s like the series’ savior I guess 😛
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Itoi and the Programmers
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues