EarthBound Completed in 9 Minutes
Shigesato Itoi’s main job nowadays is mostly just chatting with and interviewing all kinds of people, and today I stumbled across a recent multi-part discussion he had with an illustrator and book designer (Ayumi Ohashi), and at one point he briefly brings up some MOTHER stuff.
(context: Ohashi is talking about working with different types of people and how different people will act differently toward design ideas she would propose to them)
Itoi: Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Working with other people in a team is always that way.
Itoi: That’s how it always is. When we were working on games called “MOTHER”, I decided who I wanted to team up with because one person had said, “Programmers aren’t allowed to say ‘no’.” Basically, that programmers can’t say, “We can’t do that,” to any ideas we would come up with.
After hearing this from one of the programmers – who happens to be the president of Nintendo now – I said, “Oh?! I can just tell you to do whatever I want?” To which he responded, “Of course. That IS your job, after all, Mr. Itoi.”
Itoi: He told me, “Only at the very end, as a last resort, should one say, ‘We can’t do that.'” Having him say that made everything so much easier on me.
He’s of course talking about Satoru Iwata, who had been brought in to save MOTHER 2 from cancellation with his programming skills. Now that I think about it, Iwata also helped get MOTHER 3 released on the GBA too after the N64 game’s cancellation. He’s like the series’ savior I guess 😛
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Itoi and the Programmers
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound Super Nintendo SNES Cartridge Cart Game Earth Bound
- Mike: Also, I have to post once more to say: The cover texture effect is incredible and so Earthboundy. So many details like that make this utterly...
- Mike: I just received my copy this week, and it is amazing. The fact that you didn’t just throw a bunch of Earthbound localization facts, but...
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!