July 11th, 2011 | Auctions, Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Merchandise

For a while now, an “EarthBound Soundtrack” has been popping up on eBay regularly. It’s clearly fake, but a LOT of people have been asking about it, much to my surprise. It’s 100% fake and not official.

Just from the pics it’s clearly pretty crappy quality stuff:

I’m guessing the auction titles like “Earthbound Complete Soundtrack Mother2 EXTREMELY Scarce” and the sub-titles like “2 Discs!! All 138 Tracks!!!! Crystal clear audio!” are convincing people into thinking this is a legitimate thing, but it’s not.

teknomaniac bought a copy a while back and made some videos to show it in more detail:

Original Video

Original Video

Basically, don’t waste your $70 on this. If you want the EarthBound music on a CD or whatever, download the MP3 archive here and just transfer that to whatever you want.

There’s been a surge in counterfeit EarthBound merchandise lately, as you may have noticed, so watch out for stuff like this.

27 Comments to Fake EarthBound Soundtracks

RandomGuardian said on Jul. 11, 2011

GOSHNABIT Why are all these people trying to cash in on ower beloved game? It makes me sick! 🙁

LucasTizma said on Jul. 11, 2011

If anyone wants anything in MOTHER/EB music form, just let me know. Don’t spend your money on these idiots… If the album can be purchased anywhere, I can tell you where. If not, then I can share it with ya’. 🙂

Sweet-Michiko said on Jul. 11, 2011

It’s really disappointing to see the number of bootlegs out there recently 🙁

MG said on Jul. 11, 2011

Now I’m sad.

DJMankiwitz said on Jul. 11, 2011

This people are scam artists, that’s for sure. I’m not the sort to blame the victim in this situation either.

However, I see one bright spot in all this. Earthbound in particular seems to be singled out for these scams, and that can only be because the fan base for this game is large enough for them to “justify” it (well I suppose it could also be an odd delusion spreading among scammers). It’s the sort of thing that might suggest to Nintendo that releasing a Mother collection in the US could be a good idea.

Zoom! said on Jul. 12, 2011

The listing ended,nobody bought it,and it was apparently from some anime thing that happened in 2000. Still,it’s nice to have a soundtrack to listen too,offical or not.

Sweet-Michiko said on Jul. 12, 2011

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Japanese chain, Book Off. They specialize in used books, DVD’s and CD’s. They have a location in Vancouver, BC.

I bought a few things from there, and the condition of their items is amazing. Like new! I think you’re better off buying from Book Off if you want to save a few bucks on imports, like the Mother 1+2 soundtrack, etc.

PK Rockin said on Jul. 12, 2011

Is it legal to download the Mother series music on Starmen?

DJMankiwitz said on Jul. 12, 2011

Well I happen to own Earthbound, meaning I already own the sound track for that game. Downloading it from there is just easier than manually ripping all the music from the game via RCA jack connected to my computer (and playing the entire game just to get each track). Can’t say anything about the other two games… I just downloaded a few of my favorite songs from Earthbound and left the rest.

KingEnigma said on Jul. 12, 2011

The sound quality is tremendous on it. All 138 tracks are there, as advertised.

The booklet/insert/back cover of the CD is fine, but it’s very clearly just stapled together computer paper. Same goes for the CD labels themselves. The contents of the book are fine and actually kind of cool but I’d be lying if I said it couldn’t have been better quality.

It’s not trying to pass itself off as an official Nintendo product in any way, shape, form or fashion. The book tells a story of the trials of making the set. It’s just a fan-made compilation

I have zero regrets buying the thing. I’m having fun with it. Sounds great, could look better but no big deal. All in all I’m A-OK with it.

Take it easy, everybody–

Poe said on Jul. 12, 2011

But KingEnigma, you could have gotten it for free 🙁 And by supporting someone who charges $70 for something that people can get for free, you gave them a damn good reason to continue trying to sell more copies. I guess I could understand charging $5-10 to cover the cost of creating the packaging, but $70 is outrageous.

I get that you’re okay with what you’ve done, but I don’t think I will understand why, no matter what reason you give.

Linkzcap said on Jul. 12, 2011

It looks like someone put a decent amount of work into that, still!

Uniracersrules said on Jul. 12, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, Mato.

Carl said on Jul. 12, 2011

Where can I get this CD set for free?

[…] Direct link and another video here Permalink […]

FAN said on Jul. 12, 2011

It’s bad that it is fake.

RandomGuardian said on Jul. 12, 2011

@KingEnigma
I feel there is nothing wrong with buying it. As you stated it is a nice object. The problem is they try to pass it off as the real thing 🙁 Now if the seller had stated it was home made then perhapse I would buy it.

Captain Bozo said on Jul. 12, 2011

I still feel a tiny bit bad for accidentally tricking Tekno into buying that soundtrack for 50 bux. I was like “LOL TEK LOOK AT THIS SOUNDTRACK I made an offer for 1 buck” and he was like “WOAH AWESOME GONNA BUY IT” and he didn’t know it was fake until it was too late XD

iwata kicks you know what said on Jul. 13, 2011

What’s the deal with this stuff? I’ve been seeing a lot of this BS merchandise on eBay. Get a life people, it’s so obviously fake.

Big A2 said on Jul. 20, 2011

@KingEnigma: You’re insane. The disc probably just has the mp3 files from Starmen.net dumped onto it. 😐

KingEnigma said on Jul. 24, 2011

Insane? No doubt! lol–

Matteomax said on Jul. 29, 2011

Hey, Mato, hate to go off topic, but I saw a custom earthbound poster of a Starman on eBay. ($9.80)

Any thoughts?

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2011

If someone wants it, then that’s okay I guess. I see people selling custom stuff all the time, like handmade plushes and such. I mostly just don’t like it when people rip people off and/or sell stuff that they basically just pirated.

MsSaturn said on Sep. 30, 2011

Ditto on what you said KE. I bought the CD for $80 and I do not regret it one bit. The audio is astounding and it’s neat finally having a complete EB OST. I feel that the reviewer in the video is way too harsh on the quality..it was obviously made with a lot of love and care.

“Say hello to the very man who bought that CD. I knew it was bogus going into it, I didn’t mind. I saw it, said “Sure. Why not?” and pounced on it.

The sound quality is tremendous on it. All 138 tracks are there, as advertised.

Take it easy, everybody–”

BigDream said on Oct. 22, 2011

What a freaking rip off!!!

psiness said on Jan. 8, 2012

nice I want to play EB songs on my bells can anyone help?

Just Call Me Daddy! said on Feb. 11, 2013

Theres 137 tracks? I thought there was like 25 at most.