July 10th, 2011 | Auctions, EarthBound

Just saw that someone is selling a copy of the EarthBound Player’s Guide on eBay for only $3.99: EarthBound snes 1995 Guide

Suspicious of it since the game’s average price is much higher (as seen here), I took a look and it turns out the guy’s just selling digital scans of the guide for download.

Don’t fall for it though, the guys at Retromags scanned the guide in high-quality for everyone to see a few years back (see here) for free. I suspect these scans are exactly what this guy is trying to sell, too 😐

25 Comments to EB Player’s Guide Profiteering

KingDarian said on Jul. 10, 2011

Aaaand…reported! The seller’s other items look awfully suspicious, as well.

~Sits back and waits for angry post from seller~

Zoom! said on Jul. 10, 2011

Hopefully no one falls for it…

Sweet-Michiko said on Jul. 10, 2011

To go and post something like this and think that nobody is going to notice?

Dave said on Jul. 10, 2011

eBay seller ‘sum1x’ reported

Rock said on Jul. 10, 2011

“eBay sum1x is the rights holder for this download product. Therefore, the download file is an authorized version for sale and distribution.”

HA!

Sweet-Michiko said on Jul. 10, 2011

^ Seriously? Did he write that to you in an email?

What'sHerFace said on Jul. 10, 2011

@Rock
HA HA HA! Seriously?! He’s trying to pull that kind of crap?! What an idiot.

Rock said on Jul. 10, 2011

He’s also trying to sell KFC’s secret recipe. 😀

ozwalled said on Jul. 10, 2011

But is the KFC recipe in high quality? 😉

Rock said on Jul. 10, 2011

It has to be. He’s probably the rights holder for that product, too.

Anonymous said on Jul. 10, 2011

This is hilarious.

RedDekuScrub said on Jul. 10, 2011

I saw that too! I was like Waaah? But then I saw that it was a download and I was like NO!

Crysta said on Jul. 10, 2011

Technically, FuncoLand WAS selling the guide alone at a severe discount for several years. Seems they had a large stock of it and several other old guides somehow. So that price actually should be about right for a physical copy.. too bad it isn’t one.

meleemario said on Jul. 10, 2011

Is it just me, or are people seriously starting to try to make big bucks off of anything Earthbound/Mother related, thinking we’re stupid, and that we’ll pay through the nose for something like this? I started wondering when that reproduction cartridge of Mother 2 in an American SNES cartridge appeared the other day…

DJMankiwitz said on Jul. 10, 2011

Oi! Yeah I’m just glad I still have my game. Collecting this thing is crazy, especially considering some games I know for a fact are much rarer and won’t ever be put on the VC (Uniracers is an example, taken off shelves when Pixar of all people sued over it) go for about $10.

KingDarian said on Jul. 10, 2011

Looking at the amount available, it looks like some poor sap went ahead and bought one. 🙁

Schlupi said on Jul. 11, 2011

History: 2 sold. People already have…. T_T

KingMike said on Jul. 11, 2011

“Rights: eBay sum1x is the rights holder for this download product. Therefore, the download file is an authorized version for sale and distribution.”

Somebody asked Nintendo about that yet? 😉

Uniracersrules said on Jul. 11, 2011

It’s dishonest that he didn’t even put PDF in the title.
But he does have positive feedback so maybe he was an honest seller at one point
or maybe there is a market in buying scans of guides you could find for free?

Anyways I feel sorry for those caught in the scam and wish this guy would smarten up.

Zoom! said on Jul. 11, 2011

3 sold.

Schlupi said on Jul. 11, 2011

@ Uniracer: There is ALWAYS a market for items you get for free anyways… it’s called the “uneducated consumer market”. People unknowingly buy fake/free resource things ALL THE TIME and don’t ever do research on it.

For example… if you type in “Earthbound Guide pdf” EBC’s FREE scans comes up, FIRST LINK. People who don’t know better… they “deserve to suffer the consequences”. It’s not like it’s hard to do research.

Of course I am not promoting this type of thing, it DISGUSTS me. All I am sayin’ is this is a venus fly trap and some bugs can’t resist it’s sway, because they don’t know better.

Zoom! said on Jul. 11, 2011

Its sad that you need an account on Ebay to report stuff like this.

KingDarian said on Jul. 11, 2011

I also found this rather amusing:

Zoom! said on Jul. 11, 2011

@KingDarian Remind me again why the seller has like 100% positive feedback?

Uniracersrules said on Jul. 12, 2011

@Schlupi

Yeah I do agree with that. Just look at Betascript publishing, they’ve been selling Wikipedia articles as books, and flooding Amazon. Plenty of consumers buy it without even looking at the info first. It may be a trap, but I still feel sorry for those who get caught in it

Find Merchandise!