Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

July 5th, 2011 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1

A long while ago I started working on a hack of EarthBound to recreate EarthBound Zero. I put the project in stasis, but since then a bunch of other fans have tried to pick up the pieces to continue the hack. It’s still got a loooooong way to go (if it ever gets finished), but the map editing by Food_Eater has been the highlight of the new work, by far.

We’ve already seen work on the new Snowman map here, now here’s a shot of Youngtown / Easter in action:

You can see the whole map here:

And you can compare it to the original here: EarthBound Zero Youngtown map

Editing maps in EarthBound is the devil, and keeping the data from corrupting over time is even worse. So seeing these maps coming together is like a miracle!

You can follow progress on the project here.

30 Comments to Easter / Youngtown Map Remake

Matteomax said on Jul. 5, 2011

Wow! they did an amazing job designing it!! 😀

Dlakii said on Jul. 5, 2011

That is some /slick/ mapwork. I’m wondering if the palette used here is more vibrant than the standard EarthBound palette – it sort of looks it to me, particularly in the way of greens and browns, and that’s what’s really taking my notice and making it stand out.

Also, smooth going by hiding the (inevitably) really awkward-looking bend in the rails with a tree. 😛

Earthboundfan15 said on Jul. 5, 2011

Is there a expected release for the patch? Amazing work can’t wait to see the final work.

RedDekuScrub said on Jul. 5, 2011

Looks great! When it is finished it will be awesome!

Mato said on Jul. 5, 2011

Earthboundfan15: It’s just a project a few people are working on in their super spare time. If this project DOES work out (I estimate the project’s still only like 10% done) then it will likely be many years before it’s done.

If I had the time, I’d love to work on this again with Food Eater doing the troublesome map work that I suck at, but that’s not very likely going to happen :/

BOX said on Jul. 5, 2011

So, is this remake intended to have the battle system from Earthbound with the story, maps, enemies, characters, and items taken from Earthbond Zero?

I only ask because . . . that sounds damn fun to play even if it takes 100 years to finish.

Mato said on Jul. 5, 2011

Yeah, that was my original intent, see here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/06/earthbound-zero-remake-update/

Rafael R120 said on Jul. 5, 2011

Too bad it probaly won’t be released, because so far, it looks pretty good :(. Anyway, I wish them luck if they still plan on working on it :D.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 5, 2011

Aw, this is so cool! I wish there was a formal project to try to organize the effort! I hate tinkering with low-level crap, but for MOTHER, I think I would make the sacrifice. After all, a CS major really has no excuse…

Earthboundfan15 said on Jul. 5, 2011

Mato: Has anyone ever tried to a recreation of Earthbound 64? Which is your favorite mother game?

EBrent said on Jul. 5, 2011

Isn’t his name “Food_Eater”?

TalonKhan said on Jul. 5, 2011

Wow that’s amazing! o.o

gg said on Jul. 5, 2011

TRUE Earthbound0.

[…] project is not yet complete, but you can check out more screens here […]

Zinco said on Jul. 5, 2011

I have to wonder if something like this is easier to build from the ground up… but maybe not. Or maybe the fun is in the challenge of getting an ungainly Frankenstein hack to work. Man, though, I loved those Mother 3-style Mother 1 mock-ups from a year or so ago (and my understanding is that hacking Mother 3 to remake the first game would be nigh impossible).

Mato said on Jul. 5, 2011

It definitely would be easier to do from the ground up, it was the challenge and the fact it would be playable on an actual SNES that inspired me to start the project so long ago before freezing it. Plus I like tinkering with the EB engine.

FAN said on Jul. 5, 2011

The idea is very good, maybe you should create a file that we can download, so anyone can try it 🙂

shihe said on Jul. 5, 2011

Oh please finish it! Mother 1 is by far my favorite Mother game! (Ok, not by far, but it’s my favorite, followed closely by Mother2 /Earthbound).

BOX said on Jul. 5, 2011

Wait. Is Lloyd’s hair gray, or am I blind?

ben said on Jul. 5, 2011
BOX said on Jul. 5, 2011

Weird. It looks tan-colored in the game itself.

Halloween said on Jul. 5, 2011

I always wondered: why does the sign say JACK?

meleemario said on Jul. 5, 2011

Holy hell, this look amazing!!! I’d love to play this whenever it’s completed! This plus the translation text of Mother 1 from the GBA, and we’d have a killer game here for sure! Would it be possible to use the text from the GBA translation with this at all?

Mato said on Jul. 5, 2011

Halloween: I looked into why it says “JACK” when working on M1+2, but couldn’t find any good answers.

meleemario: there’s no reason why not – the script and all the translation files are out there for anyone to mess with.

espermiocitoman2 said on Jul. 6, 2011

this looks great!
im hoping to see it finished some day, it seems pretty well done, or also help on it, because i have a lot of free time for things like these.

J-dog said on Jul. 7, 2011

well, I’m a double-edged sword on this. I have tons of free time, but I don’t know how to do any of this. 🙁

G.Wicks said on Jul. 7, 2011

It’s like EarthBound… With better graphics. So dang byootiful. If people are willing to keep contributing and keep this project from dying, I’m sure the game will be considered legendary. I’ll probably play the hell out of it!

Shaun said on Aug. 2, 2011

How do you play on this map?Another IPS patch?=)

Zoom! said on Sep. 16, 2011

First EBCentral Article I ever saw

Raine said on Oct. 2, 2011

This is absolutely beautiful.