MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

July 27th, 2011 | Fan Games, MOTHER 1, Videos

There are many attempts at making a remake of EarthBound Zero, some using RPG Maker, some more complicated, like the old hack I dropped a while back, and more. Here’s one being worked on by uyuyuy99 that’s basically an attempt to recreate EarthBound Zero to the exact little detail:

I’ve always wished there was more than just a simple text editor for Earthbound Zero – you know, like level editors, music editors – stuff like that. But since I’m not nearly an experienced enough ROM hacker, I decided to recreate Earthbound 0 from scratch, and then release the source code to the public.

My plan is to make program a complete replica of Earthbound 0 in Game Maker, so people can finally “hack” EB0 once and for all.

You can easily keep up to date by subscribing to my blog here: http://eb0remake.wordpress.com/

A bunch of videos have been posted over the last month or two, here are just a couple:

I’m really impressed by how authentic everything is coming along. If anything, this project will make uyuyuy99 a Game Maker master 😛

23 Comments to EarthBound Zero: Source

Someone Else said on Jul. 27, 2011

It looks pretty much like EarthBound Zero to me! Except, I noticed the music didn’t loop authentically.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 27, 2011

Nice! The only differences I could find were the music and the dialog text appearance is a little of. Really nice work!

EppsNL said on Jul. 27, 2011

Read the title “EarthBound Zero: Source”, think someone is recreating EarthBound Zero in the Source engine.

Nonetheless this sounds like a nice project. Added to my RSS feeds for future reading =D

Darien said on Jul. 27, 2011

EppsNL: I thought exactly that as well. Which would be a really, really odd thing to do. 🙂

kmeisthax said on Jul. 27, 2011

Anyone make a GBC remake yet?

uyuyuy99 said on Jul. 27, 2011

Thanks for the positive comments people 😀

And yeah, I realized that the title might make people think that I’m remaking EB0 in the Source engine, but whatever.

meleemario said on Jul. 27, 2011

Just a couple of questions… When this is all said and done, and the source code is released, does this mean that those of us can hack the NES version of the game to our liking? Or just do it for game maker? Also, from a programming point of view, when the source code is out, would it be at all possible to make a source port (or engine, like what they did with Doom) so we could play Mother 1/Earthbound Zero natively on modern operating systems?

Mato said on Jul. 27, 2011

Since it’s being made with Game Maker, I’m fairly certain it won’t be portable.

meleemario said on Jul. 27, 2011

By the way, I love the idea, and it looks great so far!! Keep up the good work!

Rock said on Jul. 27, 2011

Actually, you make PSP ports of Game Maker games using the latest version of GM.

meleemario said on Jul. 28, 2011

Rock: Thats interesting to know!

Just thought of another question too. Will this use Tomato’s translation, or the original translation from the prototype ROM?

uyuyuy99 said on Jul. 28, 2011

meelemario: It will use the official prototype translation

uyuyuy99 said on Jul. 28, 2011

Also, in response to what Rock said, that’s actually not completely true. YoYoGames (who made Game Maker) have the ability to port GM games to the PSP, but they haven’t released the porter-thingy to the public (and, sadly, it doesn’t look like they’re going to any time soon.

There’s emulators for most portable devices, though, so you can still play EB0 that way 😉

uyuyuy99 said on Aug. 23, 2011

Hey guys, I just released a demo of this. Go to my blog to check it out 🙂

Zoom! said on Aug. 23, 2011

@uyuyuy looking good so far!

GiegueStrikesBack said on Aug. 23, 2011

Due to being on an itouch I cannot play the demo 🙁 can someone post a let’s play on YouTube 🙂

Zoom! said on Sep. 20, 2011

It’s been 20 years since Earth Bound was to be released in the US in Fall 1991 why not celebrate?

uyuyuy99 said on Oct. 1, 2011

Sorry guys, due to me being busy lately, I haven’t been working on this for a while. I’ll come back to it sometime soon.

Powderlead said on Oct. 25, 2012

Awesome keep at it, once its done people will be able to make reproduction carts of it and everyone can get a physical copy.

Mr. Carpainter said on Sep. 19, 2013

I found this while looking for an EB0 ROM.
real url is long and obnoxious

Mariotti said on Sep. 19, 2013

@Mr. Carpainter:
2006 called! It want’s it’s joke back!

Kaabii said on Sep. 20, 2013

@Mr Carpainter:

Old joke is old. Nobody I know RickRolls anymore.

mac said on Sep. 20, 2013

Yea but it was still slightly funny