Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #53

June 30th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound section again with a new page about Scaraba, which you can see here.

Nothing too major this time, except for the fact that Scaraba goes by a different name in the Japanese version for reasons unknown. Anyone have any ideas?

10 Comments to MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound: Scaraba

Sweet-Michiko said on Jun. 30, 2011

The only thing I’ve been able to find in a Google search is that apparently there is a character by the name of Scarabi in the Lion King. That may have been the reason the name was changed, but I have no idea.

kenisu said on Jun. 30, 2011

I’m not so sure if that “Magic truffle” line really was a singular/plural mistake. There are times in English where a singular can be used when referring to a plural. I wish I could think of some examples, but right now my brain is a bit fried. Just think of him as using “Magic truffle” in the context of a whole species of fungus, rather than just one object; or imagine somebody saying “come to Idaho and see the majestic potato” 😀 or something like that.

The lone ranger of ROCK! said on Jun. 30, 2011

Another idle thought about the singular/plural thing: given the guy’s use of the word “humble” (too lazy to look up his whole spiel for more context) it could be the localizers’ attempt at writing some stereotypical non-native English to give the place foreign flavor (for some reason Balki from Perfect Strangers keeps popping into my head, i.e. “I am searching for the humble magic truffle, cousin.”)

But I’m probably reading too much into it.

kenisu said on Jun. 30, 2011

^ Oh, wow… Perfect Strangers. That brings back memories.

LakituAl said on Jun. 30, 2011

The only thing I can think of for Scarabi is that they wanted to make it sound “Scarab”, but the Japanese system doesn’t allow that easily. However, that makes me think they would have gone with “Scarabu” instead, it makes me think I’m just bad at guessing.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 30, 2011

It’s possible that Scarabi was changed to Scaraba because it sounded more like Agrabah, also a desert-y, Egyptian-y city? Just a guess, but that’s the first thing that jumped out to me. 🙂

guruzeth said on Jun. 30, 2011

Sweet-Michiko could be right, but my presumption was that they changed it to Scaraba because “Scaraba” sounded cooler to an English-speaking mind. Which I think it does.

Zinco said on Jun. 30, 2011

Agrabah, sure, or Arabia, or Persia… -a words probably just sound more Middle Eastern to our ears. Or even just region-y (America, Africa, Asia, etc.).

Mato said on Jul. 1, 2011

I took an extra close look at the Magic truffle line in both games, it turns out it’s printed in singular form in English because it uses a control code to print the item name and then the writers simply left it as-is.

I remember the same thing happening a couple times in Mother 3, and whenever it did I tried to pluralize them properly.

kenisu said on Jul. 1, 2011