Earthbound (SNES)

June 22nd, 2011 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

Recently, Checopoco sent me this:

I had found a strenge piece of paper that came with my mother card,it looks like a cut from famitsu but I dont know what the heck is

It turns out it’s a clipping from something, and includes a neat little bug/trick that I’ve never heard of. It’s a pretty fuzzy pic, but what I get out of it is this:

• Get Pippi in your party
  • Give her Bread
  • Turn it into Bread Crumbs
  • Meet the mayor, and part with Pippi
  • Go meet Pippi at her house and she’ll give you her Bread Crumbs
  • Use the Bread Crumbs
  • The audio should start to screw up and start playing in monotone

Has anyone tried this before? I would think that the TAS community’s probably already given stuff like this a shot. I’m not sure if it works in EarthBound Zero or not, it might be a MOTHER 1-only thing. If anyone has more info or can try it out, lemme know!

UPDATE: Turns out it was talking about the screen turning monotone, not the audio. I was so busy focusing on the super-fuzzy letters that I glossed over the headline. So this is basically just explaining the good ol’ breadcrumbs glitch we all know and love.

UPDATE 2: You can see pics of this in action here and here..

14 Comments to MOTHER 1 in Monotone?

6you7me said on Jun. 22, 2011

that’s really neat! I’ll try it on Earthbound(NES) and see what happens!

Carl said on Jun. 22, 2011

Checopoco says this paper came with his “mother card”? What is that?

Kafei2006 said on Jun. 22, 2011

I think he meant his “Mother Cart”, as in “His cartridge” ;). Maybe the guy bought a used copy and the previous owner left in the game box a slip from a Japanese magazine of sorts…

sticktendo said on Jun. 22, 2011

From what it looks like, that’s just the Bread Crumbs glitch. It’s only in the Famicom version, and there is a TAS that uses it. It’s quite entertaining.

Mother 7 said on Jun. 22, 2011

Awwwww… no monotone weirdness for me.

Ninten said on Jun. 22, 2011

I tried this in the JP version. The audio didnt mess up, but simply just shut off.

kal said on Jun. 22, 2011

@sticktendo

which TAS was that?

platinatina said on Jun. 22, 2011

I believe maybe they meant not the audio screwing up, but the colors. When using Pippi’s breadcrumbs, the game kind of goes “wait, what???” and places you… um… somewhere. Like so: http://puu.sh/2LY2 But everything’s in grey. So maybe they meant monochrome…? Mixups like that can happen. (And yeah, I’m aware that it says “monotone” pretty clearly on the little snippet.)

I recall surfing the giant EB0 map a couple times (http://starmen.net/mother1/miscinfo/ there) and finding a couple random black and white towns used as filler space.

And yes, there was a TAS that used this glitch, mostly to get to Snowman to get Ana early. Don’t remember where it was, though. 🙁

no name given said on Jun. 22, 2011

From reading the comments, I think that if you do this glitch in the japanese version, something random will happen, and if you do this in the american version, something random will happen. Much like the tent glitch from earthbound.

Sweet-Michiko said on Jun. 22, 2011

Someone should record it and upload it to youtube.

Mitchell said on Jun. 22, 2011
Mato said on Jun. 22, 2011

Ah, you’re right, it’s not the audio but the video, and it does sound like they’re referencing that weird gray area in the map. Mystery solved! I should’ve paid closer attention to the fuzzy writing, I blame the early morning daze 😛

Checopoco said on Jun. 22, 2011

Really sorry for the fuzzy letters,I should have taken a better picture

LakituAl said on Jun. 22, 2011

Oh, so I guess it’s akin to that bug with the poison and the stairs in M1+2?