June 20th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Got another MOTHER 2 / EarthBound comparison page up, this time it’s when you return to Fourside after getting Poo. I wasn’t sure whether to go to Scaraba or Fourside first, then figured it’s probably best to tie up the loose ends before leaving the continent 😛

You can check out the new page here.

13 Comments to M2 vs. EarthBound: Fourside 4

LucasTizma said on Jun. 20, 2011

Love this stuff. Makes me wish I was a translator! Really interesting about the Carrot Key.

ebcentral said on Jun. 20, 2011

dang lucas tizma beat me to commenting!

LucasTizma said on Jun. 20, 2011

YOU WON!

Well, more like I WON, right?

Sweet-Michiko said on Jun. 20, 2011

I was going to be the first to comment, but then the internet died and I had to reset the router D:

LakituAl said on Jun. 20, 2011

This will sound really childish, but I myself wonder what is the most exact English translation for Kuso, what with the cop saying that (at least I think I read it in his speech balloon). For some reason I see some characters in other media overreacting to such word, while the Japanese audio for Knuckles in Sonic Adventure 2 throws it around like it was nothing!!

@Sweet-Michiko

Maybe your Internet was trying to save you from being the obnoxious person who says first?

Shyamalan said on Jun. 20, 2011

@LakiuAl: Kuso basically means crap.

Mato said on Jun. 20, 2011

Very literally it means crap or any other synonym. It’s non-literal use can cover a very wide variety of English words, from things like “darn” or “drat” all the way to the top-level English swear words. And plenty of other completely different uses. It definitely really depends on the context.

tintinophile691 said on Jun. 21, 2011

Mato, I’d just like to point something out. You forgot to add the Fourside 4 link in the ‘Differences’ panel.

Mato said on Jun. 21, 2011

Thanks, I added it.

Carl said on Jun. 21, 2011

I really enjoy these comparisons. Thanks for putting them together.

I do have one suggestion. For jokes, puns, and other things that don’t translate well, like the konjac wordplay in this update, why not explain exactly what the joke is, how it works in Japanese, and why it’s funny.

Of course the joke won’t be the same if you have to explain it. But I would still like to know exactly what the gag is in cases like this, and I know many other Earthbound fans would, too.

KingMike said on Jun. 21, 2011

I’m not sure if they were the first to come up with it, but I KNOW I heard that ice cream line in some ice cream commercial that definitely predates EB.
And clearly the cop is a Bart Simpson fan.

More potential VC problems?

Carl said on Jun. 21, 2011

“I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream” is from an old song. It goes back to the ’20s, at least: http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/iscreamy.html

Jungyin said on Jun. 21, 2011

My favourite use of “kuso” is in the term “kusoge”.

Find Merchandise!