June 18th, 2011 | Auctions, MOTHER 3

I’m not sure what the deal with this is, but apparently someone’s trying to sell a translated version of MOTHER 3 on eBay here. Anyone know anything about this? Is it real? It looks exactly like a Japanese cart to me, with no indication that it’s translated.

Most ROM translators/hackers don’t like it when people try to sell their work, myself included. It’s also against eBay’s terms of service to sell pirated software, so if you ever see someone trying to peddle a translated MOTHER 3, send eBay an e-mail.

59 Comments to English MOTHER 3 on eBay?

Qiezei said on Jun. 18, 2011

Aw, you’re making my job harder! 😀

But in all seriousness, this look really iffy to me. I’m guessing someone used a device to switch out the Japanese ROM inside the cartridge with the English ROM. I don’t think it’s a bootleg (if it is, it’s the nicest bootleg I’ve ever seen). Someone should request pictures of the game in action so we can clarify whether it is in English or not.

I doubt Ebay will do much about this. Half the bootleg stuff I’ve collected is from the site (and there’s still plenty of Pokemon Arcoiris games for everyone). It’s even worse over at the Hong Kong site.

Poe said on Jun. 18, 2011

But is it even possible to write over the original ROM with new information like that on an official cartridge? Unless the outer shell of a flash cart has been replaced by the official one, but I dunno if that’s possible either. It does look like that cartridge in the auction has been damaged a little.

JAMESGHOST said on Jun. 18, 2011

it says USA in the top right corner, hmmm I dunno.

I’ve come across fake DS carts at markets but I’ve never seen any fake GBA before.

I guess the only way to see if somebody has really stolen your work and selling non-offical versions of the game is to buy the damn thing =/
(but no one should, or it be supporting the theives)

mark said on Jun. 18, 2011

Most likely it’s just the guts of a flash card with Mother 3 on it, stuck into a GBA cartridge shell, with a custom label printed on it.

mark said on Jun. 18, 2011

and you can tell it’s a custom label – badly printed, badly cut out, not stuck on straight. also the plastic has stress marks (the white bit on the left) where it was opened up.

JAMESGHOST said on Jun. 18, 2011

why not bother removing the japanese writing while adding ‘USA’ to the code?

Jake232 said on Jun. 18, 2011

I bought one of these years ago on eBay. Looks very similar.

n45800 said on Jun. 18, 2011

There are websites where you can buy english translated copies of various games, there is an article about it here: http://blog.pricecharting.com/2011/04/terranigma-is-enigma.html .

Crippler said on Jun. 18, 2011

Yup, Flash Cart stuffed inside another case. I have thought about doing this for my own uses… Granted, I would never be dumb enough to try and sell it.

6you7me said on Jun. 18, 2011

Even if it IS a flash cart, wouldn’t you like to buy it? i mean, you ARE technically supporting the game by buying a cartridge. Even if it IS not Official. I’d like to buy it….

6you7me said on Jun. 18, 2011

Wait! Neglect my last comment! I found the auction for that cart, and the description says that the seller doesn’t believe that it is official, and that “he” bought it on eBay a little over a year ago!

6you7me said on Jun. 18, 2011

Wait! Neglect my last comment! I found the auction for that cart, and the description says that the seller doesn’t believe that it is official, and that “he” bought it on eBay a little over a year ago.

Matteomax said on Jun. 18, 2011

Hmm… I MAY buy it ( Pretty good price), but it does look fake…. 🙁

man said on Jun. 18, 2011

And yet…

…people are betting on this like no tomorrow

Espyo said on Jun. 18, 2011

>I believe this is not a official game.
So the guy on the auction didn’t “create” the cart. He bought it off of eBay in the past.

Matteomax said on Jun. 18, 2011

Maybe he bought it off of “hackBay” by accident? 🙂

LucasPSI said on Jun. 18, 2011

I wish it would come to America so people wouldnt have to do crap like this. 🙁

platinatina said on Jun. 18, 2011

Strange that they would change the region in the corner (AGB-A3UE-USA instead of AGB-A3UJ-JPN) but not the katakana for Game Boy Advance. 😛

PSIPikmin said on Jun. 18, 2011

Why should they expect people to pay money? They can just download the ROM and translation pack.

KyleRXZero said on Jun. 18, 2011

This is an obvious fake. Hopefully Ebay will do their job and remove this as it has been reported.

As a community, I think we’re all better then this. Nobody should even think about letting people profit off of the hard work that was done in translating this.

If you want to play Mother 3 in english on real hardware, that’s fine. But do it the right way. Don’t buy some cheap knockoff on ebay, preloaded with the game.

LakituAl said on Jun. 18, 2011

@JAMESGHOST

You say you haven’t seen fake GBA carts? Such thing I cannot believe!!

Over here in Cali there are tons of carts like those in the flea markets, with labels that are so obviously poorly made and pretty much pirated. Gray Pokemon Ruby copies, carts that say Super Mario 4 or Donkey Kong 5, all of them with the pic poorly scaled and thus out of proportion! It’s laughable at best!!

Random Guardian said on Jun. 18, 2011

Hey guys I just bought pokemon jade yesterday! :p
In all seriousness I would love to buy it but then I would be supporting there bad behavior.

Rock said on Jun. 18, 2011

The truth about this is….
Reggie ordered the Treehouse staff to translate MOTHER 3 in secret. Once it was done, he made 8 secret carts, and scattered around the world as gifts for Mato, even though he hadn’t met Mato before. This guy found one of those gifts, and tried to sell it on Ebay. That’s the story.

Oh, yeah, and this is a FAKEEE!!! 😀

PK Rockin said on Jun. 18, 2011

I found this when I was on the Mother 3 page on Game Swag.

JeffMan said on Jun. 18, 2011

I can’t wait until whoever buys it plays it and sees the intro screen that says it’s supposed to be completely free

Jungyin said on Jun. 18, 2011

@6you7me
What does “supporting the game” mean to you? Looks like this game would support nothing but the seller’s income.

@JeffMan
Couldn’t have some removed the intro from the game? I haven’t looked myself but I wouldn’t doubt there’d be prepatched ROMs with the intro removed floating around.

Magicsgame said on Jun. 18, 2011

This is a very obvious fake. If this is supposed to be a real English cart, it’s missing the ESRB rating, Nintendo logo, etc.

Also, I love how the serial is changed but there’s still Japanese in the top-right.

gg said on Jun. 18, 2011

It’s in japanese…it’s fake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random guy said on Jun. 18, 2011

I’m going to bid on it. I’ve been looking for a reproduction of Mother 3. 🙂

Doruchan said on Jun. 18, 2011

No one even knows if the contents are English. Everyoen is assuming that because it SAYS English, it IS English. It might be the official release with a crappy new sticker.

KyleRXZero said on Jun. 18, 2011

@Doruchan
Well the seller could be lying about it being in english, but in doing so just to get more money for his auction is against Ebay policy.

He says its in english. He says he thinks it’s unofficial(his way of letting people know its a bootleg without saying it, he’s trying not to get it taken down). The sticker is obviously a fake. And the cart looks like its been under stress, possibly from having been taken apart and put back together.

If it looks like a Mad Duck, decreases PP like a Mad Duck, and sometimes drops a Fresh Egg like a Mad Duck…

It’s probably a Mad Duck 😛

JerkyMcGee said on Jun. 19, 2011

Why are we even debating this? It’s fake. period. I mean, it’s a tangible cartridge, and I don’t necessarily doubt that there’s a patched ROM on it, but it’s clearly not official.

/b/ said on Jun. 19, 2011

Guys…report this.

Naito said on Jun. 19, 2011

This is a fakey, look at the label.

JAMESGHOST said on Jun. 19, 2011

@lakituAl

such irony that today I found out my ‘Link to the Past’ cartridge was actually a fake.

no wonder four swords wouldn’t work with my friend…
(stupid ebay seller)

PerpetualSkeptic said on Jun. 19, 2011

Definitely a flashcart inside a cartridge (Maybe an EZflash3in1). I have one that I put together myself. You’d have to be an idiot to sell one, though. Also, mine looks much nicer than his.

Also, I live in Shanghai, there’s a lot of bootleg GBA games available, although the gba has started to go out of fashion, so they’re harder to find now. I’ve never seen a bootleg Mother 3 anywhere, though.

Mark said on Jun. 19, 2011

Even if it’s a translated Mother 3, I wouldn’t buy it. Lots of bootlegs have issues with saving games and maintaining save data.

Matteomax said on Jun. 19, 2011

Nah.. not buying it ($51.00) 🙁

Matteomax said on Jun. 19, 2011

If Mother 3 were ever released in English, it probably would be rated M for Mature.

K said on Jun. 19, 2011

/\What?

BOX said on Jun. 19, 2011

I’ve reported the item. Given the absurdly low character limit for explanations, hopefully I got the point across.

Now, eBay is full of counterfeit stuff, so I don’t know how long it will take. That said, this is the most interesting “fake” item I’ve seen in a while. Usually it’s just obnoxiously bad copies of games from widely popular series.

Sweet-Michiko said on Jun. 19, 2011

Not cool! It’s so disconcerting to see people profiting off a fan translation project you worked so hard on!

Hopefully ebay does its job and pulls the auction.

Emile said on Jun. 19, 2011

It look’s like its down lot of people probably reported it Hahahaa

Captain said on Jun. 19, 2011

Hooray! Listing canceled. Justice done.

Dave said on Jun. 19, 2011

It’s still up at $56

legojimmie said on Jun. 19, 2011

I’m actually going to be surprised if it’s on youtube as a warning that it is a bootleg….

Kevan said on Jun. 19, 2011

it says its already been removed =\

Leirin said on Jun. 20, 2011

No one should waste their money on this. Just wait for eBay to pull it down.

Anonymous said on Jun. 20, 2011

Haha! Someone sent eBay an e-mail to tell that its fake! ( I do feel bad for that guy that bid $54.00 to try to win..)

Jon-Jon said on Jun. 20, 2011

ebay took it off.

Mr. Saturn fan said on Jun. 22, 2011

If ebay wouldn’t of took it of someone would have bought it but you should do it leigly and buy a Japanese verson of the game,Get a rom,Then get the translation pack.I guess people are retarted and cant figure out how to do this for themselves so they spend a large amount of money on ebay to try to get a english translation.(No offence to anyone)

Jungyin said on Jun. 22, 2011

@Mr. Saturn fan
Actually, your method is still not “leigl”.

gg said on Jul. 3, 2011

Also, it’s spelled “legal”.

guydudething said on Jul. 13, 2011

Sucks it was removed, I would’ve loved to buy a English copy of Mother 3 on an actual GBA cart. 🙁

Matteomax said on Sep. 4, 2011

@K:
Mostly because of language, and sexual references.

Anonymous said on Sep. 4, 2011

That doesn’t make a lot of sense. If it was released in English (let’s say we luck out and it comes out on 3DS VC), the translation would be handled officially… Meaning they could censor all of that as they needed. There’s no “sexual references” that I recall, either, unless you count crossdressers (nothing sexual about them) and Kumatora’s costume (they can show her disliking it without having people ogling her).

I’d be more concerned with the fact that there’s a section of the game where heroes use hallucinogens (accidentally). Imagine all the gaming journalists: “Mario’s mushrooms don’t seem so innocent after Nintendo’s latest game!”

Anonymous said on Sep. 28, 2011

It is bootleg you idiots 🙂
but seriously, fake gba carts are very popular in china.

so yeah. your translation patched rom in a bootleg gba plastic cart.

Alexander said on Jul. 30, 2013

Uhhh… there’s another one on eBay now, and its bids are already $51… :P.
Well, at least THIS one is from a trusted seller AND has MANY more pics of it. I’m gonna try to get it, cause I’m too lazy to do the work myself :D.

Alexander said on Jul. 30, 2013