May 25th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, Merchandise

By now, I’m sure many people here already know about this, but a bunch ofJapanese video game musicians are working together on a relief benefit album called “Play for Japan”. Here’s a little video about it:

One of the musicians listed is Hirokazu “Hip” Tanaka, one of the musicians for MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 / EarthBound. I don’t know what kind of music his original song will be, it sounds like his track is called “HVC-1384”. Which is still a complete mystery to me 😛

Anyway, if you’re interested, check out the post here for details and such. There’s no release date announced yet, but it’s probably soon.

16 Comments to Play for Japan Charity Album

Poe said on May. 25, 2011

And album art by Yoshitaka Amano! Man, this is gonna be so cool. 😀

Carl said on May. 25, 2011

“HVC-1384” makes me think of “THX-1138.”

KingDarian said on May. 25, 2011

HVC is the prefix of all Famicom game model numbers.(likewise, Super Famicom games all begin SHVC) I’m not sure what 1384 could mean. Maybe something happened on March 1, 1984?

Carl said on May. 25, 2011

Could that be the model number for an actual Famicom game? Googling it just turns up references to this album.

Randomguardian said on May. 25, 2011

Wait isn’t he the guy who made an 8 melodies song that sounded nothing like the 8 melodies. All I remember was that song was awfull 😉

Mato said on May. 25, 2011

If anything, he’s probably the guy who CREATED Eight Melodies.

Rafael R120 said on May. 25, 2011

I’m looking pretty forward to this :D. I have a feeling this will be more than just awesome!

Soulier said on May. 25, 2011

I will be buying, that’s for sure.

Tin said on May. 26, 2011

Hip Tanaka is probably Nintendo’s biggest composer, after Koji Kondo.

“Among the many game soundtracks he composed, the most well known include the music of Metroid, EarthBound, Mario Bros., Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Land, Famicom Wars, Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong, Balloon Fight, Kid Icarus, Wrecking Crew, and Gyromite. In addition, he also was instrumental in developing the Game Boy Camera and the Game Boy Printer.

“He is the composer of much the opening theme and ending theme songs used in the Pokémon anime, but he is also currently the president of Creatures, Inc.”

JAMESGHOST said on May. 26, 2011

Hip is one of my favorites with Koji Kondo, Jun Ishkawa, Shogo Sakai and Kazumi Totaka

The Great Morgil said on May. 26, 2011

Normally i just download japanese albums like this, but due to the Charity aspect of this one, i’ll probably buy it if it isn’t too much and i have enough money. I just wonder when it’ll be released.

Soulier said on May. 26, 2011

On the website it says that it is set for release in early June on the iTunes Store.

SmaMan said on May. 27, 2011

Awwwesome! Consider this bought!

Also, I checked my MOTHER cartridge, and it’s model/serial number thing is HVC-MX. Maybe 1384 is Metroid? That seems to be what he’s credited for. Anyone want check their Metroid Famicom cart if they have one?

Carl said on May. 27, 2011

It looks like Metroid is “FMC-MET”: http://cgi.ebay.com/METROID-Famicom-Disk-System-Nintendo-Game-Free-Ship-/300537917709

Does it not start with “HVC” because it’s a disk instead of a cartridge?

SmaMan said on May. 27, 2011

Well there was a disc version that had slightly upgraded music FM music.

Actually, it looks like there wasn’t a Famicom cart of Metroid… huh, the mystery thickens.

The Great Morgil said on May. 31, 2011

@ Soulier: I hope iTunes isn’t the only way to get it. I don’t have iTunes. I wouldn’t mind digital distribution through other means, but i mainly prefer to have an actual disc when i buy music.

Find Merchandise!