Random Post:

MOTHER 3 Mini-Foods

May 12th, 2011 | MOTHER 3

Shortly after we released the English-language MOTHER 3 fan translation, we gave a bunch of other small teams the stuff they needed to translate the game into their own languages. At last count, the number of translations (not including English) was at 9.

That was like two and a half years ago though, so what’s happened with the projects since then? Here’s a quick look.

Spain Spanish

Jimmytrius and his team have been working hard for as long as I can remember, and they’re very close to releasing a full patch! Here are some screenshots:

You can check out their site here.

Brazilian Portuguese

TragicManner and his group have been making great strides as well, and it looks like they’re starting to enter the near-completion phase. Here’s a sample video from about six months ago:

You can check out their site here!

Bahasa Melayu (Malay)

This translation started out very strong, spearheaded by only one person, but is now stalled indefinitely. You can see the project site here.

Portugal Portuguese

This project had been going for a little while, but died out. Apparently they’re now going to work off of the Brazilian Portuguese’s work when they’re done.

French

This project was officially dropped. If you’re a native French speaker and want to translate the game, see below.

Latin American Spanish

Netza was working hard on this version, but it appears to have stalled a long time ago. I’ve tried to get in contact to no avail, so I deemed it dropped. Since then, a nice fellow named Vongore appeared and is currently hard at work on translating the game. No project site yet, though.

German

This was probably one of the fastest translation projects at first, but eventually stalled and has since been officially dropped. If you speak German natively and want to translate the game, see below.

Italian

Our good friend emilio was heading this translation project, but it sounds like it’s pretty much stalled forever/dropped now. So if you’re a native Italian speaker and want to translate the game, see below.

Dutch

The Dutch translation is stalled indefinitely, but it’s not dead, according to Skye07, who you might also know as the Saturn Valley Online guy.

Starting New Translations

If you want to translate the game into your native language (and a translation isn’t already being worked on) AND your language uses these letters AND you use a Windows PC, then send me an e-mail.

Be absolutely warned, though: Translating the game WILL take years of your life! As you can see from the number of dropped translations and that a translation still hasn’t come out after two and a half years, it’s a very grueling task.

Also, here’s a suggestion/warning from Jimmytrius, head of the Spanish translation that’s finally about to come out after all these years:

Only one person should translate the script. Dividing it in parts and assign one to each member could seem a good idea, but it isn’t… you could think that five people work faster than one, but in the end one person will have to check the whole thing again in order to unify styles (every person translates in his own, personal way, and that is reflected in the resulting script) and make sure that there are no mistakes, like the same name with different translations along the script, missing tags, etc…

Also, is important to keep a constant pace. It’s better to translate a few blocks every day than 200 one day and none the rest of the week. Don’t struggle yourself and take your time to reflect about what you’re translating, that will mean less corrections when the whole thing is done

And as advice, when you have doubts about your translation, reading it loud and trying to imagine that phrase in this context it’s quite a good idea, you’ll instantly see if it sound natural ^^

Oh, yes, and never, ever, translate everything literally. Of course you have to preserve the original message, but you also have to find the best way to adapt it to your own language. That also applies to some puns, gags and games of words (is this the proper term in English? I’m not sure right now), so try to be creative!

So there you go! I get questions a lot about the status of various translations or requests from people wanting to translate the game, so hopefully this will serve as a useful guide for a little while.

32 Comments to Other MOTHER 3 Translations

[…] Direct link and more translations here Permalink […]

Robo85 said on May. 12, 2011

It makes me kind of sad to see how many of these translation projects are stalled or just plain dead.

Poe said on May. 12, 2011

Yeah, but that’s how it goes. Most people have no idea how much of a sacrifice fan translators have to make, especially for a game as complex as this one.

Still, I’m happen to see there are at least two that are close to finishing!

Mato said on May. 12, 2011

It really is a ton of work, more than most people probably imagine. For me, it was basically a second full-time job.

PK-Gaming said on May. 12, 2011

I’m waiting for a Filipino fan-translation to come up. My language uses those letters. If there isn’t any Filipino Mother 3 fan-translations going for a while, I might make it. =3 Just to let you know, Mato.

shadowdeku said on May. 12, 2011

Mato, are they directly translating the original Japanese, or are they just translating your version?

What'sHerFace said on May. 12, 2011

I really hope some of these get picked up! I’d love for more non-Japanese and non-English speakers to get the opportunity to play this game!

Onion said on May. 12, 2011

¡Aye!

¡No puedo esperar jugar Mother3 en Castillano!

Es cerca es cerca que chevere que chevereeeeeeeee

Mato said on May. 12, 2011

shadowdeku: from English, though if they want to use the Japanese script that’s probably possible too.

EDIT: looks like three different German folks are interested in translating, not sure how to deal with this scenario though.

Batandy said on May. 13, 2011

Hey, i’ve been waiting for this for like forever!
I could translate the game in italian and i have some friends that might help me!

Angelo said on May. 13, 2011

I would really like to give it a try, but I see the Italian translation has already some candidates.

Rafael R120 said on May. 13, 2011

I am brazilian, and I’m surprised that the brazilian translation sounds perfect 😀 . Most translations to PT-BR ends up horrible or as it was made with Google Translator 🙁 .

PK Derp said on May. 13, 2011

This is great, now more people in the world can enjoy mother 3 😀

LakituAl said on May. 13, 2011

Aw, I was about to say I’d like to translate into Mexican Spanish, but then I read “and a translation isn’t already being worked on”, so yeah… So much for that…

SeriousKano said on May. 13, 2011

The fact that I spotted a spelling error on the screenshots of the German translation makes me question its quality.
I’d love to help out, but since I started studying recently, I lack the time to do that, I suppose.

Mato said on May. 13, 2011

If it matters, that screenshot was from an extremely early update on the German project site.

backfisch said on May. 14, 2011

SeriousKano: can you tell me where the spelling error in the german translation is ? i searched through both screenshots for about a minute and found no spelling error. I feel very ashamed that I seem to overlook it, but can you point me in the right direction ? :S

TATZL said on May. 15, 2011

backfisch, the spelling error is in “aufpeppeln”.
It’s supposed to be “aufpäppeln”.
Since it’s pronounced the same way, I can see why it was hard to spot.

backfisch said on May. 15, 2011

oh oh oh oh :S shame on me. I read through it a million times and didn’t even notice the mistake -.- thanks for the answer, TATZL

BoltGSR said on May. 15, 2011

Looking at the Spanish translation above and the bugs they’ve hit, I was reminded of just how much it took to translate Mother 3 in the first place. I’m keeping tabs and helping with editing for a translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, but it’s nothing compared to what you (and these groups) went through for this game. Once again, thanks are in order.

Personally, I can’t wait for the Spanish translation to be finished; I’d love to refresh my Spanish by playing through Mother 3 again for the first time since ’08. Maybe on hard mode this time…

Ross said on May. 15, 2011

I personally would love to play M3 in Spanish, too! I’m in Spanish 2, but I have looked through and self-taught pretty much all grammar (inc. subjunctive :)) and now all I need is more vocab! Already saw murchiflado as Mr. Bat and so I’m confused… is this a purposeful misspelling of murciélago?

LakituAl said on May. 16, 2011

@Ross

Indeed, it’s a mix between “murcielago” and “chiflado”, which roughly means “nutty”. As a Spanish speaker I should say the pun is not very obvious at first, actually. Then again, would I do a better job translating and localizing?

Ross said on May. 16, 2011

Thank you so much! Now it seems so obvious! My final is next week; super stoked am I! God, how did I not see chiflado!!!!!!

Neomatt said on May. 18, 2011

French translation was dropped?
Challenge accept… wait, Windows PC? Awww, I’m on OS X. 🙁

Aglio said on May. 18, 2011

@RafaelR120

Me too… They are doing a nice work, translating and putting some orality into the text. Words like “tá” instead of “está”, for example. Maybe, it’s just a detail, but they make the difference.

Erk said on May. 25, 2011

My family knows Arabic. Perhaps I could get them to help me translate it into Arabic, eh? That would be nice.

Erk said on May. 25, 2011

Oh right… “using these letters”. Shit.

MANSTA8 said on Jun. 8, 2011

I call making a spoof of Mother 3, I will work on it on my free time. (AKA weekends and the upcoming summer break.)

Yaze said on Aug. 18, 2011

i’m a french fan of earthbound, too bad there’s no translation

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

The second one says:
Shock, Brutal Impact, To fortify, To harden.

Those are the names of the attacks, I think.

Also, @Neomatt: MAC USERS UNITE!!!!

Anonymous said on Aug. 31, 2012

I want to make a censored English patch.

Filipearth said on Sep. 8, 2012

im from brazil arrrg the brazil translation is veryyyyyyyy slow