May 14th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 1+2

For a while now, I’ve wanted to make MP3 rips of the MOTHER 1+2 music – mostly just because it’d be nice to have around sometimes, usually to show people the difference between the original games’ music and the GBA ports’. Some GSF archives exist, which you can get here:

GSF files are basically the GBA equivalent of SPC files – they’re music data taken from the ROMs and have to be played by special players. You can find what plugins/players are available for your system here.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here with more spare time could time and tag these files. As they are now, they basically run for the same amount of time, even if it means looping 20 times or being cut off before the full song is completed. Once someone can time them, I’ll post MP3 archives of them here for everyone to leech off of 😛

Incidentally, here are three songs from the MOTHER 2 side of MOTHER 1+2. You can tell just from these ones how bleh the music turned out.

Pokey’s House:

Jackie’s Cafe:

Battle #2:

I haven’t listened to the full GBA soundtrack in a while, are there any songs you remember as being particularly poorly-ported?

33 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 GSF Music Download

Rhyselinn said on May. 14, 2011

Ya know, they always said that Jackie’s Cafe sounded like the Star Spangled Banner. In the poorly-ported version, I can actually hear the resemblance. ha.

EarthBoundRules said on May. 14, 2011

Oh wow, that Battle #2 song is so bad it almost drains my whole motivation to play the Mother 2 side of the GBA port. A couple songs did turn out nicely though, like Mother 1’s factory song which I actually like better in the GBA version.

platinatina said on May. 14, 2011

I remember cringing at Battle Against a Mobile Opponent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YSieI06xok). Also Fourside always sounded so… off-key to me.

Javi said on May. 14, 2011

My earssss. D: It’s weird how they couldn’t port Mother 2’s soundtrack properly but Mother 3 had really good quality tracks. XD

Joseph said on May. 14, 2011

The GBA had notoriously awful audio hardware (basically, none) so every game needed a custom software synth instead of being able to use something like the SPC700 (the SNES’s fabulous audio processor). Trying to cram the original samples through the GBA without stealing precious CPU cycles from the game results in the lower quality. Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda were no different.

Mother 3 on the other hand benefited from being built from scratch, and the music was made with GBA’s limitations in mind. Good, considering how integral sound is to the gameplay.

Linkzcap said on May. 14, 2011

Why does the music seem so off-key?

Dlakii said on May. 14, 2011

The Starman and Runaway Dog battle themes differ so much, I’d swear that they’re not just a case of audio limitations and were deliberately altered…

Satsy said on May. 14, 2011

Listening to them properly, the worst hit by the porting are the songs that made heavy use of strange effects (Dusty Dunes, Dungeon man, walking with Dungeon man, etc.). Some sound near identical to their original tracks, or have very little loss.

Argh I wish I could make GBA music…

Mato said on May. 14, 2011

What I think is happening is that the port uses the same internal music format and uses all the same samples, and for the port they threw together code that emulated/mimicked the Super NES code, but not to a great degree. I can understand the CPU limitations, but many of these songs seem more like a case of poor conversion, where some sounds drown out others, some things sound off-key, etc.

Miles of SmashWiki said on May. 14, 2011

I think the songs that were intended to come across as surreal and unsettling translated least effectively, like what Satsy said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No9a4LQlg6c is a clear example.

Brady said on May. 14, 2011

I actually like the GBA music. The fact that everything sounds so out of tune makes the already eerie music even eerier.

Rock said on May. 14, 2011

Awesome. Thanks, Mato.
I like the music. Really. WHY ARE YOU GUYS LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT??!!

Tansunn said on May. 14, 2011

@Mato – I’m not sure I agree about the SNES code being ported to the GBA. Look at the music that plays during the fight with the Runaway Dog (among others).

In the SNES version, it has a strumming guitar pattern that alternates between an F chord and a D# chord, then it changes to alternate between D# and C#.

In the GBA version it only alternates between G# and F# (or tries to, anyway, it sounds like it’s tuned a bit flat but not enough to drop a whole semitone) and it doesn’t have any of the whistling lead sounds the SNES version had. Also, if you try to imagine those whistling leads playing along with the GBA version, the GBA version actually plays for an extra four measures before looping.

I’m pretty sure it would require a manual conversion to change the song’s key, remove a chord change, remove entire instruments, and add length to a song.

MaxOfS2D said on May. 14, 2011

So I’ve done something that I wanted to do for a long time:

here’s a proper rip of the MOTHER2 GBA ost (which is what you requested in the post, Mato, right? :p)

And as a bonus, here’s also a /proper/ Earthbound one (the MP3 set floating around the web has saturation issues in a lot of songs, especially Dangerous Caves and Battle Against A Machine)

FLAC zip http://audio.maxofs2d.net/MOTHER2_SNES_osv_flac.zip
MP3 zip http://audio.maxofs2d.net/MOTHER2_SNES_osv_mp3.zip

FLAC is always at highest compression, MP3 is on VBR -q3. The SNES rip is at 48kHz, the GBA at 44kHz. Everything is properly tagged with album art, replay gain and that kind of stuff.

(it’s still uploading at the time of writing this comment, give it some time :U)

Rock said on May. 14, 2011

I installed the plugin, and played the songs. I noticed there are 5 Hidden songs. The first one is the Onett trumpet guy’s sound effect, the second one is a weird little short song. The third one is another short weird unknown song. The fourth one is a crashing-like sound, but I haven’t heard it in the game. It sounds like an earlier version of the Giygas death sound. The fifth one is the unused song that is also present in the SNES MOTHER 2.

Halloween said on May. 14, 2011

I can hear that the Mother 2 music took a big hit, but I sort of appreciate the remix of the Mother 1 music.
I played both the NES and GBA versions on my computer, and I notice that the bass is more audible in the GBA version.

That gut From Onett said on May. 15, 2011

there are only 2 songs from the mother 2 side that i think are good,Light of Life and Eight melodies (the one from the dream)

tintinophile691 said on May. 15, 2011

I prefer the GBA version’s Jackie’s Cafe music better. It’s more eerie, and that’s what I think it’s supposed to be.

Kafei2006 said on May. 15, 2011

I thought SPC files were dumps of data sitting in the SPC700 chip at one given time (hence the perfect size of 64KBytes for each individual SPC file) and NOT a dump of audio data sitting in the ROM ?

NecrosaroIII said on May. 16, 2011

Any song with large amounts of bass are ruined, since its so underplayed. Of especial note is Battle with an Unsettling Opponent, Battle with a Weird Opponent, etc

Fortenium said on May. 16, 2011

Hey, just be thankful the music never ended up like the soundtrack in the game “Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis.” That version sucked.

EnnuiKing said on May. 17, 2011

“Giegue no Fukushu”, huh? Interesting seeing the Japanese for “Gyiyg Strikes Back!” for the first time.

Angryeyebrows17 said on May. 17, 2011

MaxOfS2D, I can’t thank you enough for the music!

As for the GBA music, I always found Mother 3’s soundtrack to be a letdown… and then I listened to the Mother 3i OST. What a world of a difference. It was the crappy GBA music hardware the whole time!

_Calvin_ said on May. 18, 2011

To be honest Half of M 1+2 was awful. Now Mother 1 I like. For example, Bein’ Friends . I just listened to the NES Version and found it to be well… a letdown.

OKeijiDragon said on May. 20, 2011

MOTHER 1+2’s soundtracks suck balls, IMHO.

But at least now, the Beatles’ lawyers won’t recognize the songs enough to press charges.

BigDream said on Jul. 6, 2011

Ok, HOW DO YOU OPEN GSF FILES???

Ross said on Jul. 6, 2011

Winamp. “GSF files can be played on the Windows platform using Nullsoft’s Winamp and the Highly Advanced plugin. Mac OS X users can play them using Audio Overload v2.0b7 or later. Linux users can use PlayGSF, or the port of Highly Advanced to Audacious.” – Wikipedia

Matteomax said on Aug. 12, 2011

On my opinion, “Pokey means business” sounded terrible… 🙁

RadicOmega said on Sep. 19, 2011

Am I the only one who thinks the GBA Porky’s house is more awesome than the SNES virsion? Anyways a way to get around copy rights if EB comes to VC is to play Jackies cafe in Mother 1+2. It Doesn’t have the “our gang” in it.

Bobby said on May. 31, 2012

i don’t like your Mother 2 .zip file because the music seems to be recorded not ripped from the ROM. can you re-do it?

Mother 1 seems fine. so don’t re-do it.

madmex89 said on Nov. 19, 2012

can anyone upload mother 1 in mp3 please?

zen said on Feb. 1, 2013

I-I-I-I kinda like it…. in fact…. I love it!

Somebody said on Jul. 3, 2013