May 29th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2

domflo just sent me his German translation patch for the MOTHER 1 side of MOTHER 1+2. You can download it here. I don’t speak German, so I can’t say anything about the quality one way or the other, but it looks pretty good from what I can tell.

UPDATE! It sounds like a new version of the patch has been released, so check the description of the above YouTube video for the latest version.

If you want to translate MOTHER 1+2 into your own language, you can use the tools I provided on the MOTHER 1+2 translation page. I created the tools and assets with other translations in mind, so it’s pretty easy to translate. I’m kind of amazed that a full translation is out already, only one month after I released my English translation. I hope we’ll see more language translations soon 😀

27 Comments to German MOTHER 1+2 Translation

Shayminguy7 said on May. 29, 2011

Wow that was fast. Good thing you provided those tools.

Anon said on May. 29, 2011

I wanted to download the patch, but the Link just says “Access denied” : (

LakituAl said on May. 29, 2011

I was about to download the tools, but then I remembered I already have them! I’m such a morin!

Mexican Spanish translation, here we go!!

Mato said on May. 29, 2011

Anon: I tried it just now and it worked for me. Did you right click and do “save as”?

You can also take the “media.” out of the URL and it should work too.

blahmoomoo said on May. 29, 2011

For me the download only worked when removing media. from the URL. Otherwise it returns an XML document that contains Access denied and request codes. The same happens when right clicking on the link and saving it (the XML file has the same name as the original file, so it looks like a zip file when it’s not).

AlphaAether said on May. 29, 2011

Hello, great job! But from watching the video and screen shots, I can see some conjugation issues. Below are what the lines should be:
Video
-BenennST den Jungen!/BenennST das Madchen!/etc. w/ an exclamation mark at the end (Because it is a command)
-Der Mann heissT George
-2 JahreN spater, kehrteT George, aber er erzahlteT
-Seine Frau Maria… kehrteT nie zuruck
-Ninten, ich bin (no -s) dein Vater

Screen Shots
-Ganau, beideT ihr!

These are just some I saw from a glance, there may be more. Hope this helps make it more accurate. 🙂

AlphaAether said on May. 29, 2011

Sorry the screen shot should be:
-Genau, beideT ihr!

V-King said on May. 29, 2011

Seems like someone was faster than me. 😀

Well, that won’t stop me from translating it!

@AlphaAether:

I’m sorry but…what are you talking about?
The lines in the video are 100% correct.

Where do you get the idea from, that it should be “Benennst den Jungen” instead of “Benenne den Jungen.”?
Your lines wouldn’t make much sense.

“Benenne den Jungen.” is just as much a command with or without an exclamation mark.

“Der Mann hieß George” is past tense. “Der Mann heißt George” would be present tense. Since the rest of the opening text is written in past tense the line in the video is correct.

I’m sory, are you even German? I don’t wanna sound rude or anything, but if you were German, you’d understand that the lines in the video are 100% correct and your “corrections” just don’t make any sense.

V-King said on May. 29, 2011

Okay, now for the overall quality that I could gather from the video and screenshots:

It’s a pretty good translation. Of course I am doing it a bit differently, but it’s not bad. From the video it looks like it’s just a word for word translation from the English translation, but that’s not necessarily bad.

I noticed a few writing mistakes, mainly missing apostrophes (no big deal) and a few missing capitalizations (a bigger deal to me, since I’m a damn grammar nazi 😛 ) but apart from that it’s practically a fine first German translation of the game 🙂

Nice job, domflo!

I noticed one bigger mistake though: When Ninten levels up it reads “Nintendo stieg ein Level auf!”. Instead it should read “Ninten stieg einEN Level auf!”.

That’s all I have for now. Enjoy your first German translation of MOTHER 1, German folks 🙂

AlphaAether said on May. 29, 2011

Well, V-King, it’s obvious that we have different German teachers, but, while I see how you could be correct on the “heiss George” situation, in a command sentence, you always conjugate for “du” and always end with a exclamation mark, but assuming you’ve had more German experience than I, I won’t argue it.

V-King said on May. 30, 2011

Dude, I AM German. 😉

Anonymous said on May. 30, 2011

@V-King
“since I’m a damn grammar nazi”

It’s funny because you’re German

PK-Gaming said on May. 30, 2011

😛 I’ve been slacking off too much now, but I’ve been working on a Filipino Mother 1+2 translation. I’d just thought to drop it off in the comments and I decided to leave it for a few days. (Actually, I’ve been slacking off for weeks now. :P) I’ll continue the translation tomorrow. (In my time, of course.)

domflo said on May. 30, 2011

Hey V-King,
danke für deinen Hinweis bezüglich der Level-Sache. Ich bin desöfteren ein wenig faul was Artikel angeht, und gerade bei solchen Anglizismen bin ich mir nie so ganz sicher.

Ich hab das jetzt mal geändert.

Tomato, would you be able to upload that update if I send it to you?

Ich weiß nicht, wie weit du mit deiner deutschen Übersetzung bist, aber ich wünsche dir auf jeden Fall noch viel Glück und Spaß dabei 😀

Mato said on May. 30, 2011

I can upload it, but this is exactly why it’s best to have your own page/site for the project. I really recommend it if you can do it.

domflo said on May. 30, 2011

Yeah, I have a solution for that in the future, but for now I hope that I can annoy you a last time with that 😛

Fortenium said on May. 30, 2011

Props to the translator who quickly finished this one. That is quite a feat!

I don’t know very much German, but I’m happy more languages get to enjoy this lovely game.

I’d love to pitch in with a translation project, but unfortunately, the only language I know well is English.

Mijiroth said on May. 30, 2011

This does look rather nice. I remember trying another german language patch once, which was a horrifying experience, which is why I stuck to english. This one looks very promising. Might check it out later.

Gute Arbeit, Übersetzer. War bestimmt ne Heidenarbeit 🙂

Rafael R120 said on May. 30, 2011

Awesome! If I ever get some time, I might try to make a PT-BR translation :D.

germangerald said on May. 30, 2011

Level can be either der or das, so it’s not a real mistake

Anonymoose said on May. 30, 2011

Anyone know if there is a Dutch instead of Deutch translation going on somewhere?

Games Xtreme said on Aug. 7, 2011

Deutsch:
Vielen, vielen Dank an “domflo” für die deutsche Übersetzung. Und natürlich auch an “Tomato” für die englische Übersettung, auf der “domflo” aufbauen konnte.
Habe bis jetzt keine Fehler gefunden bis auf die Tatsache das manche Wörter eine Buchstaben-Stelle im Rahmen der Textbox liegen z.B. ziemlich am Anfang:
“Der größte Teil des Tagebuch ist nicht lesbar, aber ein Teil sticht hervor:”
An dieser Stelle geht das Wort “Tagebuch” mit dem Buchstaben “h” in den Rahmen der Textbox. Ich sehe hier aber leider auch keine Lösung des Problems, da die Anzahl möglicher Zeichen in der Textbox eine bessere Übersetzung nicht zulässt es sei denn man kürzt bestimmte Wörter ab.
@V-King: Arbeite bitte trotzdem an DEINER Übersetzung weiter, da, wie ich finde, beide Übersetzungen eine Daseinsberechtigung haben, schon anhand der verschiedenen Schreibstile von euch beiden.

English (not my native language):
Many, many thanks to “domflo” for the german translation, and also to “Tomato” for the english translation which where the base for the german one.
I have, until now, not find any flaws except that some words are go to the border of the textbox, for example at the very beginning:
“Der größte Teil des Tagebuch ist nicht lesbar, aber ein Teil sticht hervor:”
At this point the letter “h” of the word “Tagebuch” overlaps the border of the textbox. But saddly I don’t see any solution for this problem, because there is to little space for a better translation, unless you shorten some words.
@V-King: Please don’t stop your translation project, because not only of your spelling style, there’s place for two german translations.

quickiB said on Aug. 20, 2011

how come i can’t download the patch, it just says “the website declined to show this webpage”

Mato said on Aug. 20, 2011

If I left click it and try to open it that way, it doesn’t work. If I right click it and do “save as” it works fine. That’s the only real suggestion I can give.

domflo said on Jun. 28, 2012

Just want to say this for people who find this page late in search for a German patch; The updated version (and all updates in the future) can be found by using the link in the description of the video!

[…] Mother 1+2 […]