May 8th, 2011 | Merchandise, Videos

Over the past couple weeks some folks have sent in videos of their latest EarthBound merchandise hauls and collections – so let’s take a look at a bunch!

LucasTizma

LucasTizma is probably the most hardcore EarthBound collector I know – here’s his latest haul, which is basically every figure and plush in the last year or so:

See Part 2 of his video here!

Nightram

Next is Nightram, who runs the VGMM and is probably THE most famous everything-merch collector out there! Here’s his EarthBound collection!

See Part 2 of his video here!

lithium017

lithium017 has a pretty awesome collection from the looks of it, here’s unboxing the latest Pokey/Porky figure:

jalfevi2100

jalfevi2100 rips Ninten’s head off!

And there we go! I used to have a pretty decent EarthBound collection for a while, but man, it looks like I’m starting to fall behind! I also remember when there was basically NO merchandise for EB fans out there except for EarthBound, the guide, and the scatch-n-sniff cards. Times sure have changed ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

29 Comments to EarthBound Figures & Collections

Foffano said on May. 8, 2011

I just have a Mr. Saturn… รณ_รฒ

MoonSide said on May. 8, 2011

Happy Mother’s Day Everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

Christie said on May. 8, 2011

Happy MOTHER’s day!

Andre said on May. 8, 2011

Happy Mother 1 2 and 3’s day

Rafael R120 said on May. 8, 2011

Haha, happy MOTHER day everyone! And, damn those figures look awesome :D.

LakituAl said on May. 8, 2011

Well I’ll be, now I know where to loot in case of an apocalypse or something. >w<

And you're wrong, mates, it's Happy Podunk!
*gets rocks thrown at*

LucasTizma said on May. 8, 2011

@Mato: What all do you have in your collection? Or did you do away with most of it? You have any of the recent stuff? It is pretty crazy how much stuff just suddenly started to sprout up in recent years. I hope Banpresto keeps it up!

Mato said on May. 8, 2011

Been slim pickings for me lately, I think the last major stuff I got was a few Mr. Saturn plushes, a few King of Games Shirts, a set of M3 Handbooks, a set of the EB Anthology, and I forget the rest. The last year was crazy, so I got much catching up to do ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

I’m mostly interested in the really old Mother 1/2 guides and magazines and such though.

LucasTizma said on May. 8, 2011

The EB Anthology! ๐Ÿ˜€ That’s a rare gem that I’ve been dying for.

? said on May. 8, 2011

I just have the M3 guide and Micro bundle, Eb complete, and an EB Zero repro cart.

The only figures I have are wrestlers, I have hundreds. Their plastic muscles com fort me.

pranavmeno said on May. 8, 2011

Hey, Mato-san, do you know where I could find a copy of the M3 Handbook? I saw one on eBay a while back, but it’s gone now… I’ve been hoping for a reprint for months now, but I guess it’s just not happening.

Mato said on May. 8, 2011

I think they’re planning a reprint (with some fixes here and there, even) but it costs a lot of money up front to print a bunch of books at once, so they’re probably having to deal with that.

Linkzcap said on May. 8, 2011

Woot woot Happy Mother’s Day!

Onion said on May. 8, 2011

Money upfront? Sounds like the perfect excuse for a kickstarter campaign.

Ah well, digital is good enough for now.

TheBatFax said on May. 8, 2011

Still need to get my Ness, Paula, and Poo shipped from Celga. Wanted to get the Tonzura Bros. too, but it doesn’t seem likely anytime soon. =\

Leirin said on May. 8, 2011

Drool all over the keyboard. And even the mini ones are such a perfect size… In any case though, Happy Mother’s Day!

FYI said on May. 9, 2011

I think we need to clarify: These are Mother collections, not Earthbound collections. Earthbound merch is much scarcer, and neither of these collections contain any pieces.

Carl said on May. 9, 2011

FYI, your comment just makes me more confused. The franchise is known as “Mother” in Japan and “Earthbound” in the US. What exactly are you trying to clarify? That these are “Mother”-branded Japanese items, and not “Earthbound”-branded American ones? I don’t think anyone is confused about that.

[…] Direct links here Permalink […]

Carl said on May. 9, 2011

I recently got my hands on a piece of Earthbound-related merchandise that had eluded me for quite some time: the original release of the Mother soundtrack. The re-issue, with the extended version of “The World of Mother” and the demo version of “Smiles & Tears,” is easy to come by, but the original has been pretty difficult to find. I now own a copy of it thanks to eBay.

Mato said on May. 9, 2011

Carl: Do you happen to have copies of both versions? I’d love to know the differences so I can write about them on Game Swag.

LucasTizma said on May. 9, 2011

@Mato: I have both of these albums. The only differences between them is that the original 1989 release has a shorter version of “The World Of MOTHER” (16:32) due to space limitations on 600MB CDs at the time. The 2004 reissue of the OST, produced for 700MB CDs, has a longer version of “The World Of MOTHER” (23:54) as well as the “Smiles and Tears (Demo Track)” (4:48) as the very last track.

Mato said on May. 9, 2011

There’s no cover/booklet differences at all then, besides maybe the obvious date/track listing?

LucasTizma said on May. 9, 2011

@Mato: I’m almost positive there are no differences whatsoever. I’ll double check tonight, but I remember everything being almost entirely the same. I believe the CDs themselves look different. Again, I’ll double check.

Carl said on May. 10, 2011

The discs themselves definitely look different. That was one of the things that helped me make sure I was bidding on the correct CD, since eBay auction listings are often stingy with details.

LucasTizma said on May. 10, 2011

Yeah, the original CD is pretty bland looking. Kinda like all CDs of that day looked.

Carl said on May. 10, 2011

I just double-checked the two CDs, and indeed, the packaging is virtually identical. Again, the discs themselves look different. And in addition to the changes to the track listing, the re-issue’s booklet is printed on glossier paper, and of course all the date, copyright info, catalog numbers, etc. have changed. But otherwise, they’re exactly the same.

There’s actually one thing I’m not sure about, though: the jewel case’s disc tray. On the re-issue, it’s white. But my copy of the original CD was used, and the tray was pretty beat up, so I replaced it, and I don’t remember what color it was (nor could I be confident that it was the original tray, anyway). Lucas, do you know whether the original album’s jewel case had a white or traditional black tray?

Also, I believe CDs at the time had a capacity of 650MB, which yields 74 minutes of playing time for a redbook audio CD. The original version of the album is about 63 minutes, so the extended version of “The World of Mother” (which adds about 7:30 to the song) would have fit. I presume that the extended version was created as a bonus for the listeners, and probably didn’t have much to do with capacity concerns.

FYI said on May. 11, 2011

Carl,

I’m simply stating that these aren’t Earthbound collections. Everyone knows that Mother is the JP EB title.

Pieces of Earthbound merch include:

air freshner, pogs, ruler, slides, store displays, etc.

? said on May. 13, 2011