April 8th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

For a long time now I always thought the background music when you play the Sound Stone was unusual. It’s easiest to hear it when you don’t have any melodies:

It just somehow seemed like a strange sound to have in the background of something like that.

Then Questionmarktarius just recently remarked about how similar it is to the background in “Give Peace a Chance” by John Lennon’s Plastic Ono Band.

It’s not too surprising since the entire game has Beatles references in it, and the music especially has a whole lot of Beatles influence running through it. I covered a few of them a long time ago here, but you can also read about the musicians’ thoughts about various musical influences/inspirations on Itoi’s site here. Of course, you’ll need to know Japanese, but a lot of the album names are in English.

16 Comments to The Sound Stone and John Lennon

Rock said on Apr. 8, 2011

Nice to see that, even if Earthbound is an old game, new things are always being found. That’s what I like from this fanbase. We don’t need new games every month.
Too bad I don’t know Japanese. I would love to check Itoi’s website.

P.S: Does anyone else thinks Yoko Ono looks like a monkey??

Veek said on Apr. 8, 2011

The similarities are amazing, as much others songs that are also similar to beatles songs

@Rock LOL yes she does

Big A2 said on Apr. 8, 2011

@Rock: Everybody’s got something to hide except me and my monkey.

Poe said on Apr. 8, 2011

Whoa! I didn’t know Prince influenced some MOTHER songs 😀

neonix said on Apr. 8, 2011

I never found that background music strange. Might just be me, but it feels quite fitting. Listening to the sound stone always gave me goosebumps.

Christie said on Apr. 8, 2011

@Rock: If you ever watched the Powerpuff Girl’s episode, “The Beat-alls” then yes, she does XD

LakituAl said on Apr. 8, 2011

@Poe

Lalo con Machito y su Orquesta is quite a surprise, too. “Who are they?”, you may ask. Heck if I knew! That’s my point!

Random guardian said on Apr. 8, 2011

How fitting that the sound stone was “Give Peace a Chance” 😛
I always wondered what that white noise was for in the sound stone. Now I know!

chaobreeder20 said on Apr. 8, 2011

RIP
John Lennon,Earthbound will always remember you.

Chimera said on Apr. 9, 2011

How did I never notice this before? It’s so obvious now that it’s been pointed out.

Dylan Lloyd said on Apr. 9, 2011

This is so amazing. Earthbound after many years, we still learn of its secrets. I also love how many Beatles references there are in the game.

It lives out the greatest music and involves it within the Mother Series.

Well Done. ;}

Anonymous said on Apr. 15, 2011

IT was so obvious.

I can’t believe no one, including me, has noticed that!!

Questionmarktarius said on Apr. 17, 2011

I didn’t notice this, up until I saw a (terrible) Beatles documentary on Netflix (Paul McCartney is Really Dead).
Presumably, they used a Fair Use clip of Give Peace a Chance, and my first reaction was “that’s the goddamn sound stone!!”

RadicOmega said on Nov. 5, 2011

So Spongebob can make a parody of this song but Nintendo can’t? Bull crap

RadicOmega said on Nov. 6, 2011

By the way I love John Lennon and the Beatles 😉

Anonymouse said on Jan. 13, 2013

My church sang this just recently, I’m surprised I didn’t I didn’t notice this until NOW. XD Pretty cool though!

Find Merchandise!