April 21st, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2

Today I finished my final text-polishing phase and test playthrough of my MOTHER 1 retranslation in MOTHER 1+2. Barring any unforeseen catastrophes, the patch should be out before the end of the month. I still gotta do a few last things, try it out on real hardware, write the readme, package everything up, etc. but it’s pretty much almost ready to go now.

For those just joining, here are some links about the project:

The release will include:

• A full retranslation of MOTHER 1, with lots of little UI improvements (expanded menus, names, etc.) and an optional Easy Ring to make the game more palatable for fans who usually have a hard time getting into the first game. It will also fix a few bugs in the original Japanese ROM.
  • A menu/list/item translation of MOTHER 2, kind of like that old MOTHER 3 menu patch I made years ago
  • All the tools and files I used to create the translations for both games – users can use these to translate the text into their own languages or create text-based hacks of their own
  • The source code for all the tools (though not the text editor/previewer since I didn’t create that)

Basically, if you’ve never played through the first game in the series or could never really get into it before, this patch might be right up your alley when it comes out πŸ˜€

154 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Soon

tiradefaction said on Apr. 21, 2011

In what way has it been re-translated? Or what difference can we expect with the dialogue?

Nathalie said on Apr. 21, 2011

I think you’re such an amazing person for putting so much effort and sacrificing time to do this. I can’t wait to play it!

platinatina said on Apr. 21, 2011

I can’t wait to play this, too! πŸ˜€ I’m so excited. Despite the fact that I’ve played EB0 like three times before. lol

Out of curiosity, did you rewrite the enemy descriptions, too? (Like… is the Titanian’s description still “If you can beat it, that is great”..? lol.)

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2011

tireadefaction: I touch on it briefly in the FAQ so check that out, but briefly the key points are:

– retranslated from scratch from the Japanese script
– some text was censored in the EB0 version, not so here
– some text in the EB0 localization was changed for no real reason, see the previous translation update for an example
– the beta English ROM had rather dry text, possibly owing to memory limits, that isn’t the case here
– connections/references with the other two games are made clearer, so fans of EB or Mother 3 will be able to recognize things that have actually carried across multiple games
– I changed the font and expanded text boxes as far as possible to make text more readable and presentable

It’s a Famicom game, so there’s really only so much that can be done with it – it’s not like it’s going to suddenly be a whole new game. My goal was just to make it easier for players to get into.

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2011

platinatina: I didn’t change anything, so it’s probably still there. I don’t remember what I translated it as off the top of my head. I’ve always been kinda underwhelmed by the descriptions, but I don’t wanna start making stuff up out of nowhere either.

Cleveland Rock said on Apr. 21, 2011

I’d really, really like to see Mother 2 retranslated. I always did. Wasn’t Jeffman working on that or something?

Halloween said on Apr. 21, 2011

YES AWESOME

…should I ask what you decided to do with the Crystal Caverns and Rosemary’s Manor?

Randomguardian said on Apr. 21, 2011

Take all the time you need to polish this patch up Mato! Seriously, you are like a household name to hundreds, no thousands of people! There is absolutely no reason to rush this just to please us… But that would be a nice gesture :p

G.Wicks said on Apr. 21, 2011

Thanks for everything, Mato! I’m still amazed that my favorite childhood game series, which has mostly gone under the radar, has such devoted and talented fans such as yourself. I’m grateful that we MOTHER fans have guys like you to help us enjoy games that we otherwise wouldn’t be able to enjoy. It makes me feel really lucky. I’m looking forward to all the upgrades you made and the more accurate translation. I know it’ll be a blast to play πŸ™‚

TMMDI said on Apr. 21, 2011

Oh man, I can’t wait! πŸ˜€

Dr. Gateau said on Apr. 21, 2011

I’m pulling for you Mato!

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 21, 2011

-herald singing voice-

There was a company, evil and nasty
that would not translate our games!
omletts and steaks, so yummy and tasty
were not released during its reign!

But dear Earthbounders, do not fear!
Our hero, the great Tomato, is here!

He hacked game code left and right
made text into english, what a sight!
whatever the trouble, never gave up the fight!
So hooray for the great Tomato!

Not your average garden plant!
Strong and noble, what a champ!
And though the road seemed covered in ants,
He’s here to save the day!

Hurah Hurah! Tomato!
Hurah Hurah! For Earthbound!
Hurah Hurah! For Starmen!
And the fans who’s joy they supply!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 21, 2011

Mato, I cannot express in words how much I appreciate translating the games that you have. It’s allowed us un-educated in Japanese to fully enjoy these games. Thank you so much, and I can’t wait for the patch. I’m especially thrilled about the tools that you’re going to make available to us to use and hack the game the way we want. I’m psyched! πŸ˜€

BTW, nice song Mrstaplez. πŸ˜‰

Labrynian Rebel said on Apr. 21, 2011

Awesome-Ness

Anon said on Apr. 21, 2011

Very nice, looking forward to it!

Fred said on Apr. 21, 2011

I’m really excited about this release. I haven’t played Mother 1 yet, and now I’m excited and plan to! Thank you for all the work you’ve done.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 21, 2011

Hey Mato, one question. Are you going to start working on something else after this (like continue your EarthBound Zero Remake hack), or are you going to take a small break? I’m fine with either one; I’m just curious.

Theerr1112 said on Apr. 21, 2011

are you going to do the upgraded graphic as you said was possible before?

Theerr1112 said on Apr. 21, 2011

hmmm very good,
ive waited long for this
but one question, is there still a posibility of updated graphics mato?

Theerr1112 said on Apr. 21, 2011

please disreguard my first comment, that was not edited correctly into the one below it

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2011

Cleveland Rock: No, he only said he’d be interested in working on it, he isn’t working on it actively. From the sounds of it, he’s really busy too.

Halloween: I didn’t mess with them, they’re the same as they are in the Japanese GBA version.

Zunar: I don’t intend to start any new EB-related projects – I anticipated this project would only be a few months and yikes, it turned out to be much more. I have other things besides EB I wanna work on too, anyway. I’m too burned out from this to even think about looking at the EB0 remake stuff.

Theerrr1112: It won’t be in this patch. I suppose someday it could be made into a separate patch of its own, but it’d take a lot more time than I have now.

Linkzcap said on Apr. 21, 2011

Cool beans

chaos20022002 said on Apr. 21, 2011

Looks great. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 21, 2011

Then, you wouldn’t mind if I pick up where you left off in the EB0 remake, and work on it, will you? Don’y ask me why I want to do it; I just want to.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 21, 2011

*Don’t, not Don’y.

Torkirby said on Apr. 21, 2011

I just MOTHER 1 on my physical copy of MOTHER 1+2…I’m very excited to play the game again translated! πŸ˜€ You did a really good job staying dedicated to this project, Mato. c:

Torkirby said on Apr. 21, 2011

I just beat*
Sorry to double-post! xD;

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2011

Zunar: Be my guest, there are already people trying to pick up where I left off. Trust me though, it is a TON more work than you can imagine, and the many quirks of all the hacking tools out there will make you rip your hair out.

Pwesty said on Apr. 21, 2011

I was planning on starting a Mother 1 LP in about two months, so this should be the perfect warm up! I can’t wait!

Imaginary Pocket said on Apr. 21, 2011

Awesome to hear this, never played Mother 1! Also, I have an EZ Flash 3 in 1 if you need any beta testers for real hardware… πŸ™‚

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 21, 2011

can’t wait to try out the original Mother, but I’ll have to finish my playthrough of Earthbound first…

cardboardmario said on Apr. 21, 2011

Hey Mato, does this patch include the original Magicant Caves from Mother 1, or did you keep the caves from EB0?

Rock said on Apr. 21, 2011

Mato, this is AWESOMEEEEE!!
As I already said, I’m itching to take a peek at your script and translate it.
Well, I have a Portable Media Player, that plays GBA games, does that count as a “real” system? Because that player is kind of weird, there are some games that run in Visual Boy Advance, but not in the PMP, and some that don’t work on VBA, but run in the PMP. If ya think it could be useful to test it on this kind of hardware, I’ll be more than happy to test it.
=D

Rafael R120 said on Apr. 21, 2011

I’m definitly going to try it! Thank you and good job in advance!

Rock said on Apr. 21, 2011

(Crap, double post, I forgot something)
Mato, when you say that your next project is not Earthbound related, does that mean that your personal blog is going to get some love? ‘Cause I used to read it everyday back when it was called Neon Flashing Tomatoes, and I’d love to see it working again.

Dinner Sonic said on Apr. 21, 2011

I remember you mentioning that it’d be possible/plausible to update the graphics to use the GBA’s color count one time, sticking in your EB0 Remake’s enemies and such… you still plan on sticking that in as a bonus patch? Or, alternatively, just give out a sheet of the sprites you did and maybe tell how to get the game to read them as GBA graphics and not NES graphics, since despite what I hoped(hoped I could toy around and spark interest in such a colorization project) I could only find the MOTHER tiles in NES format. I bet it involves some super fancy ASM hack doesn’t it? All I can do is edit GBA pointers and palettes. =(

At least the game has a ton of blank space from what I saw, bet that made the translation a bit easier. Can’t wait to finally play a fresher easier MOTHER, been holding off for this all this time…

Kamanashi said on Apr. 22, 2011

So, if I really felt like it, I could go through and change all the text in Mother 2 to the official translation with your tools? Just making sure because that would give me something to do over the summer if I am understanding correctly.

Snow said on Apr. 22, 2011

This is really awesome. But, I’m also wondering when and who will work on the Mother 2 translation to complete it. I would love to have Earthbound in my pocket, even though I have it for SNES.

blahmoomoo said on Apr. 22, 2011
man said on Apr. 22, 2011

Holy crap Mato, I can’t wait! I’m convinced the is going to be the definitive version of the game.

Mato said on Apr. 22, 2011

cardboardmario: I left them as-is, so they’re like the EB0 ones.

Rock: I might spiff up my personal site but I dunno if I’ll update it as regularly as the flashing neon tomatoes site.

Dinner Sonic: This patch won’t have that, it’s a lot of work to get it all done. To be honest, if it were easy enough to explain how to do it, it’d be easy enough for it to be done already πŸ˜› Jeff did the hacking for the color stuff, so it’s up to him if he wants to let people take a crack at it.

Kamanashi: Technically it would be possible, but 1. you’d have to locate every individual line of text in the ROM yourself, repoint them, and enter the English text while also keeping up with the new control code format (super yuck) and 2. you’d have to put up with the fixed-width font and all the other limitations Mother 2 has, like four-letter character names, short enemy names, etc. Honestly, it would take a LOT longer than a summer break to do :/

Poe said on Apr. 22, 2011

I’m getting excited! I only made it as far as the factory in my longest EB0 playthrough. I’ll have to pick up some Arby’s when I play your patch πŸ˜€

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Lol, Poe. Exactly which factory? Sweet’s Little Factory (the first), or Duncan’s Factory (the second)?

Poe said on Apr. 22, 2011

I dunno. The one that sucked.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Sucked as in was very hard?

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 22, 2011

@Poe LOL

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

I have a question about your tools, Mato. Will you be able to open the tools up to a certain ROM and then edit it, or will you just have to edit it from what the Japanese version is and then apply it like an IPS patch? I’m mainly asking because there is a part of the GBAZone translation I would like to use (the translated battle dialog parts), but not others.

Mato said on Apr. 22, 2011

Basically, you just enter text into some text files, then run a program. That program doesn’t have an interface or anything – it just takes the text (and addresses if applicable) and inserts them directly into the ROM. There’s no “opening up” or “editing”, at least not in the sense you’re probably imagining. I get the feeling you think it’s a lot fancier and can do a lot more than it really can.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 22, 2011

Yeah, i am so excited this is finally almost here. It reminds me of the last final moments leading up the the Mother 3 FT’s release. I’ll definitely be checking here every day for like the next week looking for the big announcement.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

@Mato: So it’s basically like Mr. Accident’s Visual CCScript program? I was kinda thinking it was more like PK Hack’s text editor.

NecrosaroIII said on Apr. 22, 2011

Giegue or Giygas?

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 22, 2011

Good point: Gyiyg or Giygas?

TGP said on Apr. 22, 2011

Whoa, so you’re throwing the tools into the download too? Sweet, now I’m anticipating this like 500 times more than I was at first!

Mato said on Apr. 22, 2011

Necrosaro: Since I’m not retranslating the M2 side I decided that for now I’m going to make the M1 translation include all the EB and M3 connections, so fans of those can see those connections more easily. So I’ve gone with “Giygas” here.

If I were to ever redo the M2 part (which is very unlikely at this point) then I’d probably go with Gyiyg for both games.

What’s funny is that Gyiyg/Giegue/Giygas’ name actually only appears in the text three times.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Another quick question, Mato. Would it be possible to take just one part of an IPS patch and apply it to a ROM? Just wondering because, like mentioned above, I would like to take the battle dialogue translations of the GBAZone patch, but nothing else. I don’t want the different text, or anythign like that.

Mato said on Apr. 22, 2011

I don’t know of any tool that would do that. Mixing and matching patches is ALWAYS a recipe for disaster.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Dang it. Oh well, maybe I can figure out what GBAZone did and do it with your tools, though it’ll be hard.

Theerr1112 said on Apr. 22, 2011

good luck

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Thanks, I’ll need it.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

I’m SO looking forward to this! Hopefully it can be released in the next few days so I can get crackin’ on some dialogue translations like GBAZone did, and maybe see if I can’t translate other stuff, like the PSI power descriptions and item descriptions.

Anonymous said on Apr. 22, 2011

The translation is almost done? awesome!

*gives mato a cookie*

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 22, 2011

lol, Zunar, do you have any idea what your undertaking? It sounds like your diving in a little over your head, but I wish you the best of luck!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Yes I know it’s going to be hard. But it’ll be something to cure my daily boredom at school, because I have lots of free time at school (at least two hours or so) that I’m extremely bored, and that can be something I’ll work on. Hopefully I can figure it out without TOO much trouble, but at least it’ll help all of you guys out with stuff like that, and make the game a little more understandable.

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 22, 2011

well, I’ll root for you then. Until then…

OMGOODNESS TOMATO MOTHER 1 AHHHHHHHH GEEK ORGASM!

…I’m doing college, and I sound like I’m 4.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

I’ll root for me too.

By the way, lol!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

One more thing, Mato. You’re keeping the favorite food name limit 6 characters right? I asked about extending it to 9 or 10 before because Ninten’s favorite food is Prime Rib, which is 9 characters.

joeymartin64 said on Apr. 23, 2011

Just use “ribs.” “Steak” was shortened from “salisbury steak,” and “omelets,” if memory serves, was shortened from “fluffy omelets” or something similar.

Rock said on Apr. 23, 2011

Awesome! Zunar, I’m also rooting for ya!!
Yeah, you’re going to need lots of luck for this, but you’ll probably get around to translate a couple lines of dialogue. Even that would be fantastic!

Batandy said on Apr. 23, 2011

Heh, can’t wait to play it and maybe start an italian translation

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

As mentioned above, I’m hoping to translate at least some of the battle dialogue, like GBHAZone did, and also translate the PSI power descriptions and possibly some item descriptions.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

*GBAZone, not GBHAZone.

Foffano said on Apr. 23, 2011

Ok, I’m getting ready for the Brazilian Portuguese translation!

Mato, you’re my hero!

Anonymous said on Apr. 23, 2011

say,

will this version contain the “not care” option like the other ones do?

Just wondering.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

For Mother 2, yes. For Mother 1, all the default names are put in except for Ninten and his favorite food.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 23, 2011

Mato, you are the best! Thanks for all your hard work!

@TheZunar123

Could you sum up really quickly what it is you aim to do with the ROM? I’m having some trouble following this huge chain of posts and sifting useful info from it.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

Well, have you played the GBAZone translation of Mother 1+2?

Assuming you haven’t, basically I’m just going to translate some of the dialogue in battle, so it won’t just be a whole bunch of japanese symbols and you can actually understand what’s going on. Like, for instance, say you were fighting a “RUNAWAYDOG”.

In the japanese version, it’s like (the #’s are japanese symbols):
NESS#####!
RUNAWAYDOG#
20######!

From that, you can conclude that Ness attacked, and the RUNAWAYDOG took 20 HP of damage. My intent is to change that to something like:
NESS ATKS!
RUNAWAYDOG
– 20 HP!

There, that’s much easier to understand, right?

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 23, 2011

Hey, anyone know of any text “editors” that could be used to modify the Mother 3 patch? Did Mato ever give out a tool like that?

Mato said on Apr. 23, 2011

No, there’s no Mother 3 tool right now. Working with Mother 3 is a zillion times more complicated than working with Mother 1.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

One last question, Mato. In EarthBound Zero, all the levels were a, b, g, and p (I’m too lazy to copypaste the actual letters :p ). In Mother 1+2, sometimes the levels are a, b, p, and o. Did you leave it like it is, or did you change that?

Jubbo said on Apr. 23, 2011

Hey, just wanted to say many thanks for your efforts. I just went back and beat earthbound after many years removed from my original play through and got interested about any other games in the series. Amazingly there was your mother 3 translation which works flawlessly on my psp :] and now to see this coming to fruition i’m super geeked. So thanks again.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

Argh, double post!

Someday (like if you release an updated graphics patch), could you make a patch that has the original M1 Magicant caves? I’d love to go through those, being that I’ve played through the EB0 version so many times.

By the way, here’s something that I don’t get. If it’s supposed to be Mother 1, except on the GBA, then why the heck did they censor it, and change the Magicant caves to the ones in EB0?!

Rock said on Apr. 24, 2011

@TheZunar123: Well, they just took the English prototype version, and inserted the japanese script + the translation for the made up text (for example, the extended ending text). It’s logical, since Earthbound Zero had a lot of improvementes over Mother. As Phil Sandhop, the english script writer of Earthbound Zero said: “In software development, each subsequent version is usually derivative of prior versions. Once the program was changed they would have continued to use the revised program and plugged in their old text modules.”

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

@TheZunar123

Ah… I see. A worthwhile project indeed! Just to make sure, this is for the M2 portion, right?

Do you think I could join in on this? I have a little experience messing with ROMs and such.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

Yes, it’s the M2 portion, and of course you can help.

Along with the battle dialogue, I was going to translate some of the PSI power descriptions and at least some of the item descriptions. Which would you rather do?

Najo said on Apr. 24, 2011

Hey mato! thanks a lot for doing this!!
question: is there a possibility to get all your translation in some text form?
I’m playing through Mother 1 on the 1+2 cart, and I don’t want to start it over again using an emulator, I’d rather play it on the GBA, but I’d love to play it through reading your translation.
So far I’ve been using this site:
I can survive but my japanese is too basic and online translators are… well, online translators.
In fact, I would offer to make a similar site like that one with your translation to put up on Starmen.net or something, I think it’d be a nice alternative to enjoy your translation without having to restart the game or for those wanting to play on the original hardware.

? said on Apr. 24, 2011

you ever wonder if Teddy grew up to be the leader of the sharks in Mother 2?

supporting argument

-they are both leaders of a gang of rowdy youths
-the nes couldn’t do blond hair for some reason (like peach in SMB2 is brunette for this reason) so maybe teddy is really blond?
-they both utilize knives
-they both eventually give up and befriend you

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

Good observation, ?. But they’re names are different. The leader of the Sharks in Mother 2/Earthbound is Frank, not Teddy.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

*their, not they’re.

TGP said on Apr. 24, 2011

They look nothing alike and the official/promotional stuff discourages that theory. I don’t see why Teddy would revert to his old ways ten years after the adventure.
Also, how is this even relevant to this translation?

Kamanashi said on Apr. 24, 2011

@Mato, oh well. Would have been interesting to do. I still have my Earthbound SNES cart and an emulator on my PSP, so I am good. And glad too see your work come to completion. The original Earthbound Zero translation was kinda meh, so I am really looking forward to yours.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

@TheZunar123

That’s great, thanks! I’ll take care of whatever you don’t want to do, so just let me know.

For PSI descriptions, I don’t think translations would even have to be too close to the original Japanese, if what we’re trying to do is make the game more playable. Item descriptions, though, may need to be translated pretty carefully to keep with MOTHER 2’s witty awesomeness. Some of those descriptions (like Fly Honey) have pretty funny descriptions.

And who knows? Maybe, if this doesn’t turn out to be too difficult a project, we might decide to translate all of the M2 portion of M1+2! πŸ™‚

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

Oh, and Mato, once this M2 project is finished, would it be possible to combine it with your M1 translation as one unified patch? If you’re okay with it, that is…

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 24, 2011

@pranavmeno “if this turns out to not be too difficult a project”

If it was easy, Mato would’ve done it himself. He’s said several times that the hacking that would be required is akin to the hacking Mother 3 took. Mato and Jeffman are extremely experienced Rom hackers, and it took them 2 years to do that game. And it was alot of crap to go through. (just look at the “glitches” video they made)

It would take alot of dedication, knowledge, and work alot of lesser ROM hackers don’t have. So “easy” is definatly out of the picture. πŸ˜‰

That said, if you’re willing to work at it and persevre, you can do it. As Mr Saturn would say “POTENTIAL”.

Thats if you don’t give up a couple months into it though!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

Yeah, you’re right. But my plan is to just put like “RESTORES ### HP”, unless there is some extra space for more.

And it’s probably going to be difficult, but it’s possible.

I’ve started working on some PSI power descriptions and some battle dialogue decriptions that I think would be good to put it. They don’t exceed the limits of the original script, they just move around some stuff. I’m not finished of course, but this is just what I’ve been working on:

PSI Powers:

@CUTS DAMAGE OF
NORMAL
@ATTACKS IN HALF.

PARALYSIS
@CAUSES
PARALYSIS.

Battle Dialogue (I don’t know if you can understand this since it’s really all out of whack. NAME stands for the name of the character the dialogue is talking about, and ENEMY is the same except it’s the enemy. I haven’t gotten far; just about to the point of the fight against Frank, so anything past there is not translated yet. And even at that point things aren’t complete. The #’s signify where you would put numbers according to what’s going on, except in the “LEARNED PSI POWER#”. In that part, it signifies the level of PSI):
ENEMY

YES MAN JR
SWINGS HOOP!

ENEMY ATKS!
MISS!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

Dang, I got ninja’d! πŸ™

And whoa, that’s a huge post O.O

Anyway, it’s not going to be easy, like Mrstaplez said. If we keep at it, though, we could do it.

@Mrstaplez: It probably won’t take us two years to do it. Why? Because we won’t be implementing a VWF, and plus, we’ll have Mato’s tools to help us out. To be honest, the only hacking experience I’ve had is with PK Hack on EarthBound, so this is probably going to be tough for me.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

Whoa… What you have so far is absolutely fantastic. It’s really easy to understand, and I have renewed confidence in the success of this project.

For the PSI powers, how do you suppose we’ll be able to distinguish between the different levels (Like PSI Freeze ‘a’ and PSI Freeze ‘b’)? If I’m not mistaken, the ROM only has capitals for English text available, so we’d have to make a workaround. We could try something like…

PK ROCKIN A/B/G/O
ALL ENMYS
@NESS’S ATTK PK POWER
@A WAVE OF PK ENERGY
THAT
DOES ABOUT ### HP DMG

or

PK ROCKINA/ROCKINB/ROCKING/ROCKINO
ALL ENMYS
@NESS’S ATTK PK POWER
@A WAVE OF PK ENERGY
THAT
DOES ABOUT ### HP DMG

if space limits are a problem.

Depending on what looks and reads cleaner, we could truncate the name of the PSI power if need be…

PK RCKN A/B/G/O

How’s that?

Have you tried putting any of this into the ROM yet? If so, how did it go?

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

@TheZunar123

What are the character limits for item names, PSI skills, and lines of battle text? I think I’ll get started on translating some of the text too. I’ll start working from some other point in the game.

Linkdude said on Apr. 24, 2011

@joeymartin64
Actually, no. Ness’ favorite food is hamburg [not a typo] which is SIMILAR to Salisbury steak, but not the same thing. the localizers probably just chose steak ’cause it’s something Americans might think of when they think of supper at home.

Linkdude said on Apr. 24, 2011

@Mato
Wait… Does that mean you’re changing the “Gyiyg Strikes Back” screen? ‘Cause if not, then changes Gyiyg’s name to Giygas in Mother 1 kinda seems pointless.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

@pranavmeno: Items are 10, Equips are 9, PSI Powers is 9, and the lines of battle text… you’ll have to play through the game to get those. They are different lengths, and I’m not sure if you can extend them or not.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

Don’t worry about the items, equippable items, and PSI powers. I’ll tend to those. Just do the other stuff, like PSI power descriptions, item descriptions, and battle text. Start at… say… Threed, maybe? Or perhaps Dusty Dunes Desert?

Mato said on Apr. 24, 2011

Hey guys, if you’re going to talk back and forth like this, you should maybe take it to the message board or e-mail.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

I’ll go from Onett to whatever point you started, and then I’ll help you out with what you have left. But let’s translate this stuff first, and then go for the main dialogue. That sound good to you?

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 24, 2011

OK, Mato. Where’s the message board?

pranavmeno said on Apr. 24, 2011

Awesome. I’ll get going on this as soon as possible. Have to go find the GBAZone patch first, though! πŸ™‚

Anonymous said on Apr. 24, 2011

I remember when this thread was about mato’s work. Ah, those were the days.

TGP said on Apr. 24, 2011

Which I had no idea even existed until Mato just now pointed it out.

Mato said on Apr. 24, 2011

Najo: I’m going to be releasing all the files and tools I used to create the translation, so you can always look off of that. The problem is that the script is stored in practically random form, so there’s no real way to follow along with it in any logical way. The EB0 text dump sort of shows this, as you can see here: http://files.fobby.net/0000/09b8/ebdump.txt

Rock said on Apr. 24, 2011

I’m pretty sure this has been said before, Mato, but, are you calling the main antagonist “Giegue”, “Giygas” or “Gyiyg”?

Mumphadumf said on Apr. 24, 2011

He said Giygas earlier in this clump of comments…..

Jimmy said on Apr. 24, 2011

So did you decide on the harder japanese version of that one maze/dungeon, or the easier one?

Mato said on Apr. 24, 2011

It would’ve been way too much work to insert the old maps + objects, so I decided to keep the GBA version, with the mindset that if someone in the future wants to play the original Famicom version, someone can always translate that version into English.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

@pranavmeno: Either you haven’t registered on the Forums, or you registered under a different name because I can’t find you on there.

And by the way, you can find the GBAZone patch here:

pranavmeno said on Apr. 25, 2011

Just registered… I’m under the same name, so you shouldn’t have any problems finding me.

Please excuse some of my delays… I just got the flu and I can barely think…

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

That’s ok. I’m sorry you got sick.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

And I still don’t see you. I’m looking under the users starting with P and your username isn’t listed.

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 25, 2011

Lol, Zunar! You thread hijacker!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

Sorry; I won’t hijack it anymore when I can contact pran on the forums or via email.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

Tell you what, pran. Let’s use email. My email address is mdpayne96@earthlink.net. Just email me, and we can talk using that. OK?

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 25, 2011

Nevermind, I see you now!

pranavmeno said on Apr. 25, 2011

Hey Mato, did you find any cool extras for the patch yet? And sorry about taking over the thread… I’ll be quiet now…

Jimmy said on Apr. 25, 2011

That’s fine, I was just curious. Looking forward to the patch. Thanks again for the hard work. I was going to reply the NeoDemiforce version again but I’ve decided to wait.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 26, 2011

We’re at the final few days until release, and the tension is building!

Carl said on Apr. 26, 2011

Zunar asked earlier about the inclusion in Mother 1+2 of the changes & censorship introduced in the English Earthbound Prototype. The Lost Levels has a really great article about the game, including comments from Phil Sandhop, the English Script Writer for Nintendo’s translation:

The whole thing is worth reading, but here’s the relevant portion:

“Sandhop was also not surprised that the Japanese release of Mother 1+2 on GameBoy Advance contained all of the improvements and changes that had been developed for EarthBound. ‘In software development, each subsequent version is usually derivative of prior versions. Once the program was changed they would have continued to use the revised program and plugged in their old text modules.'”

SomeUser said on Apr. 26, 2011

For some reason, I kinda wanna text hack (even if it wouldn’t work) and make MOTHER: The back to Japanese class* edition. So I can send it to you (Mato) and you can see my terrible Japanese! Not really, I wouldn’t make you do that.

*all japanese i have learned is from my dictionary and some websites

Rex said on Apr. 27, 2011

Hey I was wondering,Aren’t you forgetting somthing like a remake of some sort…….?

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 27, 2011

@Rex
Which remake? The EB0 in Earthbound one? Mato has said over and over that he’s not working on that because of the map glitchyness. If you mean the ideas for remaking graphics inside this earthbound patch, thats kinda fallen by the wayside too.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 27, 2011

@Mrstaplez: I’ve started working on the EB0 remake, and I do a little bit of work here and there when I get bored. I haven’t done a whole lot, but I have changed some Don’t Care names, and I’m making Ninten’s room right now.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 27, 2011

The EB0 Remake is actually being worked on by someone, I thought. Check the PKHack forums; seems they already have up to Magicant done, but they haven’t updated the threads in a while. I’m afraid to bump the thread without a good reason πŸ˜›

Brad64 said on Apr. 27, 2011

Mato when will Jeffman finish the M2 half of the ROM? I’m waiting for a complete translation before I download the ROM.

Mato said on Apr. 27, 2011

He’s not actively working on it and never was – I only said that he said he was interested in working on it.

Doruchan said on Apr. 27, 2011

Mato, I appreciate all your efforts and successes on the earthbound series for all us American fans more that I appreciate being able to eat daily. Seriously, thank you SO much. But do you have ANY speculation whatsoever about when the 1+2 will be done? Just wondering, thanks!

Mato said on Apr. 27, 2011

It’ll be out in just a couple days now!

TMMDI said on Apr. 27, 2011

@Mato
Oh man I can’t wait. πŸ˜€

Doruchan said on Apr. 27, 2011

Thanks! I can’t wait!!

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

Ughh Im beginning to cringe at the excitement! If only a couple days came faster!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

@Brad64: Pranavmeno and I are planning to do that. It’ll take a long time, but we should be able to get it done. The only thing is that the Mr. Saturns won’t have the Saturn font, but we’ll try to keep their lines as identical as possible.

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

@TheZunar123 On this very website under ‘cool stuff’ you can download all MOTHER fonts, including Saturnian. ZOOM.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

@Doruchan: I understand that, but I don’t know how hard it’s going to be to hack in that font. It took Mato and Jeffman a long time to hack in the Earthbound font.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

Into Mother 3, I mean.

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

Oh, I see

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

That would be something Mato or Jeffman would have to do. If they’d do that one thing, then it’s be great. Hey Mato, I’m wondering abut something. Remember that Jeffman had hacked in a VWF into the M2 side? Is he working on that, or would it be possible for me to use that in the complete translation Pranav and I are working on?

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

*It’d, not it’s.

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

One more thing, Mato, Did you end up uncensoring the devil’s censor work? I really hate asking alot of questions because I see you are barraged on the daily basis, but I just cant help myslef, I gotsta knooo πŸ˜›

Mato said on Apr. 28, 2011

The devil’s censor work?

Zunar: You’d have to ask him, but from what I can recall it still need more work to be stable and was more of a proof of concept than anything else.

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

lol Joking (Calling NoA the devil) But did you uncensor graphics (Cigs, Blood, ETC.)

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

*?

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

OK, I’ll ask him. I assume I can just email him at jeffman@starmen.net?

Mato said on Apr. 28, 2011

Yes, though I make it very easy to undo the uncensoring with my tools if you prefer it that way.

Zunar: I dunno his address off the top of my head, you can PM him on the message boards there.

Doruchan said on Apr. 28, 2011

I appreciate it for people who DO prefer it uncensored, but I prefer Itoi’s intentions in everything. I’m very glad you uncensored it! I am very excited and thank you for letting me get that experience πŸ˜€ You da man. BOING

Dwibble said on Apr. 28, 2011

We get this huge amazing bundle of awesomeness for FREE?!

Someone get me a fan, because I’m about to faint. This is a Comp. Sci major’s dream come true.

I cannot thank you enough, Mato.

Knil said on Apr. 28, 2011

Wow, I’m not a frequent viewer of this site by any means but I have been keeping up with the news on Mother 1+2. I’m very excited that you’re releasing it. Thank you for putting your time and effort into giving us this masterpiece. =D

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

Hey Mato, question. I just got an EZ Flash IV, and I put Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 on it. For Mother 1+2, I used a ROM with the RPGOne translation and then applied your beta menu patch for M2. It runs just fine, but when I try to load Mother 3, it gets an error of some sort. It says something like “PSRAM is not enough”. Does that have something to do with Mother 3 being 32.768 MB versus Mother 1+2 being 16.384 MB?

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

Nevermind, I somehow got it to work!