EarthBound Earth Bound WORKING SAVE FUNCTION DUST COVER Super Nintendo SNES 1995

April 29th, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

It’s taken quite a while, but at last my MOTHER 1+2 translation patch is done and ready for downloading! Check out the page for it here:

The MOTHER 1+2 Fan Translation

You can download the patch there of course, and you can also download all the tools, files, and source code I used to create the patch. With these, you can create translations into other languages or create text-based hacks of your own!

Before you play the patch, though, I HIGHLY recommend reading this list of tips/suggestions that I wrote up – it will help you enjoy MOTHER 1 a lot more, especially if you could never get into the game before!

When you’re finished playing through the MOTHER 1 side of things, stop by and let us know what you think of the game in the comments, whether it’s good or bad or whatever. I made this patch mainly for fans who could never really get into EarthBound Zero before, so hopefully this will make the game more enjoyable now!

206 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Released

Dlakii said on Apr. 29, 2011

Well, that’s my weekend quite thoroughly occupied. :P I’m sure you’ve been getting this frequently over this project, but nonetheless thank you so much. I enjoyed EarthBound Zero quite a bit regardless of the dry translation, so I feel being able to play it with a better translation will greatly enhance the experience. ^_^

Zeromus said on Apr. 29, 2011

Yes, another awesome game to play. I just beat Portal 2, so now I can give Mother 1 my undivided attention. Thanks soo much Mato.

Naja said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks Mato, this is greatly appreciated!!
I’m the guy who was asking for a text-based translation, since I’m currently playing the game on the actual cart and don’t feel like starting over. But I found on the tools pack you uploaded a file, m1_main_text.txt, which apparently includes all the text in the game, so for anyone in the same situation as me, this is great to play the game in japanese while reading Mato’s translation of it on text :)

PK-Gaming said on Apr. 29, 2011

YAAAAAAAAAAYY! Right now, I’m reading your lists of tips and suggestions. They look pretty funny. Then I’m going to download it. I’m pretty sure I’ll kill time watching the royal wedding with the game. :D

sKaNkPiT!!! said on Apr. 29, 2011

888888888888888

eltercero said on Apr. 29, 2011

The translation patch is for both Mother in the game or only for the first one?

allhallowsEve said on Apr. 29, 2011

TOMATO, Y U SO AWESOME?

eltercero said on Apr. 29, 2011

Ok, it’s only the first, I saw it in the patch page :)

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 29, 2011

May be hard playing this after Earthbound and Portal 2, BUT as a Retro gamer I reckon I’ll find it as consuming and fun as both those games!
(last NES game I played was Kirbys Adventure anyways)

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 29, 2011

Also Thank you for Translating this wonderful series Tomato and co!

Spidey said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you for translating, Awesome.

Yorkshire Gold said on Apr. 29, 2011

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Well, there goes my weekend.

Neomatt said on Apr. 29, 2011

O hai weekend.
Oh bye weekend.

Thanks Tomato!

Fred said on Apr. 29, 2011

Damnit! I have to work this weekend…You trying to get me fired?

Thank you. At least I will have no regrets!

Psychomax said on Apr. 29, 2011

Man Tomato, it seems like every time you feel bored or lethargic, you occupy yourself by crafting a polished masterpiece of eloquent localization and technical rigor. I just watch youtube videos…

I really appreciate this. Can’t wait to finally get into this game!

Mr. Tenda said on Apr. 29, 2011

yay, now I can appreciate this game. thanks for the hard work… “you must be tired” :p

Leonardo said on Apr. 29, 2011

You are just so awesome, Mato!

Onion said on Apr. 29, 2011

So awesome!

A million thanks for all your hard work Mato!

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Holy moly, I set this update to go off at four in the morning and already so many comments 8O

TokiTheInterestingGizmo said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato, I will bear your babies. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You have no idea. T_T

Therr1112 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Now I can’t wait till school is over
Thanks mato

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 29, 2011

been playing through this game and I must say it is ‘outstanding’ for a NES game, I’ve been laughing all the way through all the jokes, refrences and non-nintendoish lines. it is a must play for Mother fans (I think I’m enjoying it more than Earthbound…)

EarthBound015 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Oh man! My little daughter wakes me up and decides not to go back to sleep, so I get on here and BAM! I know exactly why she woke up, it was destiny. I have not one qualm with being woke up at 5 am to something as great as this :D hah

rotschleim said on Apr. 29, 2011

Wow, it’s an honor to be mentioned as a “thank-you” for Mother 1′s translation! I didn’t really do much if I recall right, but it’s a great, great honor, Mato!

Umm… This is gonna seem tactless after all the praise, but where is the font block for Mother 1 located in the ROM? The number 5 is a pixel thinner than the rest of the numbers, and it’s bugging the CRAP out of me. I’d really like to change it.

syd said on Apr. 29, 2011

awwwww yeaaaah

Anthony said on Apr. 29, 2011

Hurray !!

Thank you Mato !!

Skye said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks mato :D

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

rotschleim: you can check the tools/source files for details, but it looks like it’s around F2A5B0, according to m12.asm. You can edit the patched ROM directly (if you hard-patched it) or you can edit m1_gfx_font.bin with a tile editor and then rebuild the translation with the tools.

SoulSlappy said on Apr. 29, 2011

Well, damn. It’s basically the end of the holidays here, so I probably won’t get time to play this much. But when I do, oh boy oh boy OH BOY!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato, I cannot tell you in words how much I appreciate you releasing this translation. I’l be playing the heck outta this! By the way, you want us to create a Mother 1+2 translation screen at the beginning, right? There’s a screen that says “Please edit me” or something like that. Is that what it’s for?

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Zunar: you’re talking about the tools – I made it so people can insert their own intro screens with the tools, it wouldn’t make sense if everyone else’s translation had the same intro screen as my patch. Read the tools readme for info about the intro screen and how to change it.

Foffano said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato, you are my hero!

EarthBound Brasil, translation mode on!

BlackSmith said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato, thanks a lot for this translation. MOTHER is my favorite game in the series and I’m very happy with the chance to read the original texts.

I have a query though. Is Easy Ring actually supposed to grant Defense+28?

blbeadnik said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you for the awesome college grad present Mato (and others involved)! I’ve been looking forward to this all year. Now I don’t have to choose between schoolwork and exploring this game (that I wasn’t able to get into before). :3

Knil said on Apr. 29, 2011

What a great way to wake up in the morning! Thanks Mato, I’ll give my review once I’m done.

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

BlackSmith: Actually, I don’t remember clearly anymore since I made it so long ago. But I molded it over time and many playthroughs to work well throughout the entire game, so maybe I made it that high with later game stuff in mind, especially since you can’t equip better ring equipment if you want to use its effects.

platinatina said on Apr. 29, 2011

I squealed.

Even though I’ve played EB0 twice in English and once in Japanese before. Still psyched.

Scalemate said on Apr. 29, 2011

This is amazing!! I’ve 8een playing it all morning. I just wanna stay home and play Mother now. Sure, it took me a8out half an hour to set up, 8ut it was totally worth it.

Poe said on Apr. 29, 2011

@scalemate – is your B button broken on your keyboard?

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 29, 2011

Yeah!!! I’ve anxiously awaited this. Thank you so much Mato-san! Now i just have to wait until my class ends so i can go home and download it. I waited this long, now i just need to wait four more stinking hours.

Also, thank you for mentioning me in the thanks section. I didn’t think i really did much, but thanks for the props, anyway.

BroBuzz said on Apr. 29, 2011

_awesome_
I’ll differentially be downloading this soon.

BroBuzz said on Apr. 29, 2011

I hate auto-correct. <_<

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato, question about The m2_jpn_table.txt file. What would happen if we put lowercase english letters in it? Just curious.

BlackSmith said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato: Okay. I was just a bit puzzled because I could not remember a defensive bonus being mentioned ever before, so I thought I’d confirm it.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 29, 2011

Wow. This is amazing!

So, any afterthoughts, Mato-san? How does it feel to have brought supreme happiness to thousands of EBers the world over? :)

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Zunar: If you put lowercase letters in, then be sure to edit Mother 2′s font to correspond with those changes. Otherwise you’ll end up with random Japanese letters where you intended there to be lowercase English.

pranavmeno: it doesn’t feel any different than usual, it’s just another workday for me. I mostly just hope people will give the first game a chance finally :P

MaxOfS2D said on Apr. 29, 2011

Hey, does M1+2 have a sound test somewhere? (the M2 part especially :p)

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 29, 2011

@Mato: How would you edit Mother 2′s font?

One other question. Would it be possible to translate the stuff you didn’t translate on the start menu, like the Speed and Flavor menus? I don’t see any coding for them.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Also Mato, I’ve noted a bug in the Mother 1 side. I selected “5″ in the battle Setup, but on the file Select it was noted as “Fast”. I swapped to “VFast”, but then I checked the Setup menu and it was 4. Not sure if it applies to Slow, but it’s just something I noticed.

Slim said on Apr. 29, 2011

(only hear the music)
i think that only brazilians will understand this.

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Zunar: if you need to discuss hacking and stuff, don’t do it here, do it on the forums please. I also wrote much of the tools readme with you in mind, so go through it all – I include lots of links and such.

Maxof2SD: Not that I know of :/

MoonSide3 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you so much, Mato. :D

Somebody said on Apr. 29, 2011

I was trying not to go back into ROM playing or such.
I was driven back by this.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Apr. 29, 2011

Once I finish my slow savoring of Portal 2 and my finals are done… Actually I should start playing on Mother’s Day :)

Anonymous said on Apr. 29, 2011

woooooooo

Schlupi said on Apr. 29, 2011

Yes! Thanks so much for all your hard work. Your MOTHER 3 patch and this will be remembered by me for years to come. I could never express how grateful I am in words I hope you know you are a hero.

I am interested in getting the MOTHER 2 portion of the game translated, if anybody wants to (SERIOUSLY) help, check out the website I linked in my name. You can find me by the same username. Thanks!

Corey said on Apr. 29, 2011

I’ve been playing this and it’s great so far. I know you put a lot of your time into it, Mato, so thanks!

I did encounter a small issue so far. I set the game to speed 4 in battle. Then, after saving and going back to the main menu, it shows I have V.Fast speed. Shouldn’t V.Fast be level 5 speed and Fast be level 4? Maybe they were mixed up accidentally?

Catsman said on Apr. 29, 2011

Torkirby said on Apr. 29, 2011

Awesome, it’s finally finished! :D Once again, Mato, you did an amazing job staying dedicated to completing the translation to the very end! Thanks so much for doing it. c:
I definitely will be doing an LP. c|

Sillik said on Apr. 29, 2011

I’m really happy with the translation, but I think the easy ring makes the game too easy – all enemies at the zoo did 1HP damage to me and I got to level 15 after beating Starman Jr.
It’s like the battles don’t matter at all anymore, because you’re almost invulnerable after a few levels (and I didn’t grind).
Also, I think there is a minor bug: sometimes you need to press the A button two times to advance text.

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Yeah, it looks like that V.Fast/Fast thing is a mixup, but it’s not a big deal. I’ll update it in a future patch, of course.

Sillik: As you go through the game I think the ring’s effects will become more appreciable. Once you get to Magicant you can swap the ring out for normal equipment too. It probably does seem a little strong at first, especially if you’re already pretty familiar with the game.

As for the A-button twice thing, do you have any examples? I can only think of like two or three that happen in the game, but they happen in the Japanese version too. I think one is in Magicant and one is in the Live House.

Corey said on Apr. 29, 2011

The Easy Ring does that, Sillik, because you normally can’t equip an item to get the 28 defense increase until shortly after the Zoo. The battles will eventually start to be noticeably more challenging around Duncan’s Factory when you will see some PSI attacks. If Mato hadn’t included a defense increase with the Easy Ring, later you would have to suffer with far less defense if you want the experience boost.

Jason said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks!! :)

Sillik said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato: It happens randomly, for example, when you’re talking with your dad or when you scroll through the level-up text.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I’m using VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2.

Corey: Ok, I’ll stick with it then. I remember Duncan’s Factory being really frustrating.

[...] [http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/mother-12-translation-released/] [...]

TMMDI said on Apr. 29, 2011

I’ve been playing on and off since this morning and I’m at Thanksgiving. Having a blast Mato! :D

V-King said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you so much for releasing the tools together with the translation itself.

I’m working on a German translation right now and it’s coming along pretty fast which is awesome.

wyatt said on Apr. 29, 2011

Hello Mato, I was just wondering if you could give me a link to the rom. Thanks. =)

Brad64 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks a lot Mato!

Random guardian said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks Mato! just thanks!

Pwesty said on Apr. 29, 2011

Just… Thank you. This’ll be fun.

Satsy said on Apr. 29, 2011

Ah, I love it! I fished out the EZ Flash to play this on the go, and its been great! Haven’t checked out the Mother2 side of it yet, probably will when I’m not obsessing furiously over the M1 side of it. ;)

Oh my itchy fingers… stop it you can’t sprite!! ^^;

G.Wicks said on Apr. 29, 2011

Mato! Your script re-write is excellent! This dorky little game actually makes me laugh now. Nice work, dude! Awesome awesome stuff!

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 29, 2011

Finally got home and downloaded it. Loving it so far. I also checked out the Mother 2 side for a quick sec, and just from the title screen alone, i now understand why people trashed the audio quality in the port. It sounded awful. But Mother 1 is great. I only just started, but i’m definitely gonna plow throw as much as i can tonight.

LakituAl said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you very much for everything, Mato!

Why, it seems I’m listed there in the thanks section! Even if I didn’t do anything… >w<

Anonymous said on Apr. 29, 2011

great to see that the translation is done.

Shayminguy7 said on Apr. 29, 2011

In Magicant right now. Great job, Mato.

Anonymous said on Apr. 29, 2011

Forget the Royal Wedding, this is the occasion to remember! Thanks Mato!

Anonymous said on Apr. 29, 2011

hey mato,

How difficult would it be for someone (anybody) to edit the music in the game?

I’m wondering because I am hoping that maybe I could switch the music from the GBA version out and put the NES version of the mother 1 music in.

I’m sorry but the sound quality is really bad.

Again, just wondering.

Earthbound dude said on Apr. 29, 2011

You know the people of Earthbound Central as put a lot of work in this and i may be in the seventh grade but i do wish i could help Mr. Mato with anything he could need. I truely respect him. For everything. The Mother3 translation, Earthbound Central, everything. without Mato and everyone on Earthbound Central and Startmen. Net. Earthbound and the entire serires would just be a mire brainewashment from Mr. Sherigsato Itoi…

Bill said on Apr. 29, 2011

This is so awesome!

chaos20022002 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you mato for doing such a great job. I will be playing this all weekend rather then study for my finals lol.
again thanks for all the work you do

Labrynian Rebel said on Apr. 29, 2011

YES! This is delicious!

Corey said on Apr. 29, 2011

Just wanted to report back that I too seem to notice the occasional problem with the A button not always advancing text. I can’t be sure if this was a problem before the patch or not, though. I’ll check that out later. I’m playing on an EZ Flash V 3-in-1, btw.

DBlue said on Apr. 29, 2011

At last!
Thank you Mato!

Sly said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks Mato so much for this! Just one question: Did you translate the items when the monkeys in Mother 2 tell you what they want? So, like, they would say Pizza in English, but everything else in Japanese?

Mrs. Saturn said on Apr. 29, 2011

I’ve been having a bad day, but reading this instantly lifted my spirits.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

James said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thank you so much! I’ve really wanted to give this game another go.

Seifer said on Apr. 29, 2011

Thanks Mato. You’re a legend.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 29, 2011

Wow, after equipping the Easy Ring, the rate at which you level up as you progress through the game is much more like in other RPGs. It feels very natural.

Randomguardian said on Apr. 29, 2011

Easy Ring = :D
By the way it’s probably not the nice thing to point out but the purple girl in mothers day that talks about zombies and angry animals says “have” twice in a row :p
Just thought I should point that out anyways.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 29, 2011

About the Mother 2 side, here’s some stuff you can do:

For the enemies, putting their names to eleven characters is a good idea. Twelve is a little glitchy, and I’ll explain why. Twelve characters completely fills the “TO:” box, and, if you run into several of the name enemies in the same fight, it glitches up. It is a good idea to extend the names of bosses and such to twelve if needed.

For items, you can put them one more letter, but it results in a small glitch. If the item is on the left and there is an item to the right of it, the cursor will replace the last letter, and the letter won’t come back unless you exit the battle menu or select an item. Also, when scrolling character’s inventories, any of those letters that extend past 10 will stay on the screen until you select another character’s inventory.

For equips, extending the names to 10 results in two glitches. The first one is the same as the above item glitch, and the second is in the equip menu. If an item is ten letters and is equipped, the “e” will cut into the equip window’s border. Yes, it does look a little weird, but we have one more character to work with!

Just some things I wanted to point out for people who are using the tools.

Anonymous said on Apr. 29, 2011

question: is it posible to play on flash carts?

DBlue said on Apr. 29, 2011

Man, I’m having a blast with this! I almost can’t see how others couldn’t get into M1 before….
As mentioned, the Easy Ring really makes the game feel normal, and the A button occasionally doesn’t advance text.
Any other glitches?

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Oh man, too many comments to go through right now. Some people are reporting a problem with the A button stuff – can someone get a video of this? I get a feeling it’s either a flash cart thing and/or just a thing that’s in the original game that I never saw out of the ordinary. Especially if it happens in both battle text and main text, those are mostly different text routines.

Rock said on Apr. 29, 2011

Well, Mato, I can’t thank you enough for doing this. I would bear your children, but I’m a man, so it can be done. Too bad. Maybe I could give you a doughnut. Actually, I was just offering. I would also like a doughnut. =D

Well, Earthbound references aside, I’m having some troubles using the tools. Well, I edit the script, then, take the ROM named “m12.gba”, and run the “insert.exe”, but the game’s still in Japanese. I also tried running “i”, but nothing happens. I attempted to run the Funland program, but it gives me an error: “The application cannot be started correctlyu (0xc0000135)” or something like that.
What can I do to fix this?

Rock said on Apr. 29, 2011

Whoops, sorry, I meant “it can’t be done”. FAIL.

MarioFan3 said on Apr. 29, 2011

(If you really can’t be bothered reading this, don’t worry you’re not alone)
Ahhh Mato, It’s hard to think another one of your projects is finished already, the last few months went by quick didn’t it? :S

I swear it feels like yesterday when that Mother 3 Translation Patch came out and I (along with many others) started to play a game from the Mother series for the very first time, and without disappointment. (thanks to you, Jeffman and the many others who contributed to the project)

Back then, it was really the first time I actually started to appreciate what 3rd party devs at big N can actually pull off, and how much hard work it actually took to produce such a game. Then it came to the guys who translated/hacked that 32MB time-vampire, those who had many sleepless nights with many coding skills, translation sessions, hours, hair-pulling sessions, coffees and swear words all put to good use.

Five years later you’re still on the scene, still receiving praise, and still introducing more and more gamers out there to the Mother series as a result. Good on you I say just good on you, I hope my save files I sent ages ago helped you with your many playthroughs! :)

I like your suggestions-before-playing-Mother page (because yes a common issue is getting into a game released in 1989. Another thing I may suggest to others is (if anyone else still owns one) pull out your old NES and play some of those games for a while. If you don’t own one, or you sold it (like a fool), lost it or your dog ate it… then perhaps play other NES RPGs for 5 minutes or so.

Essentially what I did was put myself through a time-warp, and sometime around December 2009 I began to play through every single game I like in order of their release date (am still doing this by the way, 150 games later I’m playing games from 1999) thus when I got up to playing Mother, albeit the shotty Beta version, I still saw the humour that was lacking in games at the time, and that unusual charm Mother provides.

Well, my “Wall Of Text” is coming to an end, but I suppose that’s because A. I don’t appear here often enough and B. It’s difficult to express everything in such a short space. Nonetheless, I hope TL;DR didn’t come across or anything, if it did then ahh well, not everyone has the amount of time I do so it happens to me all the time. ;)

MarioFan3 said on Apr. 29, 2011

By the way, you’ve given Mother more replay value too! 8)

Rock said on Apr. 29, 2011

Nevermind, I fixed my problem. It turns out that I was playing “m12.gba”, not “test.gba”. Sorry.

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2011

Rock: if you have questions about the tools, you should post about them on the forums. You should definitely always run i.bat and not just insert.exe. insert.exe is just one piece of the puzzle that you probably shouldn’t run by itself.

As for your problem with the Funland program, like I said, you might have to install the Microsoft .NET framework libraries, since it was programmed in C#/.NET or whatever. Again, I didn’t write the program, so I don’t know for sure, but I think you can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/net/download.aspx

Once it’s installed, Funland should hopefully work for you.

SamWibatt said on Apr. 29, 2011

WOOHOO! Once again, Mato rules. Thank you so much!

MK9 said on Apr. 29, 2011

Well, the game definately seems harder than it did when I first played the EB0 rom, but overall, I’d have to say that from the little I’ve played of it, it’s pretty good. The Smoking Crows are hilarious if not VERY annoying.

Labrynian Rebel said on Apr. 29, 2011

Those crows stole my lifetime supply of Orange Juice, now where am I suppose to get my Vitamin C?

Happy-Fan! said on Apr. 30, 2011

I don’t have much to say, except thank you for all your hard work! The patch is just lovely! :)

Zai said on Apr. 30, 2011

REALLY enjoying it much more than the original translation so far. Major kudos!

I did’t see this being mentioned yet, but I found a small bug with text wrapping when withdrawing from Minnie while having a full inventory:

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 30, 2011

Hey Mato, are you gonna do some translation notes like you did on Mother 3, where you discussed things like why you chose certain names or neat things you found? Or even something like M2vEB, only with this. I love the new script, but i’d like to see some lines side by side for comparison’s sake. I’m just curious that way.

Edrees said on Apr. 30, 2011

Thanks sooooo much for this! I especially love the “tips to get into the game” I followed them and I”m really enjoying it a lot more after reading through them. Didn’t realize R button makes me run faster, that helps a ton. Wooh! THANK YOU once again!!

Edrees said on Apr. 30, 2011

Also can you clear up the V/fast vs Fast thing? Does this mean I need to set the speed to “Fast” to get very fast? Is was it just a translation error rather than a glitch. Please clarify, I got confused by the other guys comments. Thanks!

Anonymous said on Apr. 30, 2011

@Edrees Fast is level 5 (fastest speed) and Very Fast is level 4 (second fastest) mato (or whoever) mixed them up

DJMankiwitz said on Apr. 30, 2011

Congratulations on completing this project!

Mato said on Apr. 30, 2011

Zai: awesome, thanks! I thought I had gotten all those lines (discovered that problem at the very end of the project) but with the script organized totally randomly I always feared I might’ve missed one or two.

Morgil: I’d like to, but I don’t think I’ll have the time. The Mother 3 notes still hang over my head and haunt me, dunno if I want another thing to haunt me too :P

Edress: Basically, just choose “5″ from the text speed menu in battle. The speed it shows on the file select screen is apparently wonky for some reason, probably me being dumb.

Alex said on Apr. 30, 2011

Thanks for this complete English patch of mother 1 for the gba Mato and the only time I played mother 1 was by using the RPGOne English translation patch of Mother 1+2 gba game.Which was a incomplete patch and had lots of things left untranslated throughout the game.

After completing Mother game using the RPGOne incomplete patch I felt like I needed to replay mother again, because I felt like I missed out on part of the mother storyline and I am a mother fan that likes to read/try to do everything in games,so I was thinking of replaying the unreleased earthbound zero game for the nes.

But after playing mother 3 using your English patch which I really liked/enjoyed playing more than even earthbound for the snes and after reading all the improvements which you have done in this patch of mother for the gba I feel like I will have a much better mother experience using your English patch for the gba game than playing the nes version of earthbound zero.

Frank said on Apr. 30, 2011

Which gba emulator/settings would be best to run this english patch of mother ?

Mato said on Apr. 30, 2011

I’d suggest VBA-M, if you’re on Windows you can get a recent version here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/files/Win32%20-%20MFC/

Roxas13Sora said on Apr. 30, 2011

CAN YOU PLAY THIS ON GBA FLASH CARTS?!?!?!?

Mato said on Apr. 30, 2011

Lucas said on Apr. 30, 2011

Lol!

PsiWolf674 said on Apr. 30, 2011

Awesome! Tomato, you outdid yourself again. Even with the few bugs/typos it has, it’s still an amazing translation that’ll make it easier for new and old alike to play. Congrats and thank you!

Pwesty said on Apr. 30, 2011

Wait, I have a question. Does, say, Loid get double exp if he doesn’t have the easy ring equipped (And Ninten does)? And if yes, what happens when someone other than Ninten has it equipped?

Mato said on Apr. 30, 2011

Only Ninten can equip it, and if he has it equipped, the effect will work for everyone in your party. I should’ve mentioned that in the readme, that’s a good question.

Rafael R120 said on May. 1, 2011

Thanks! Downloading it now! Also, i’d like to say that when I beaten the unreleased american version of MOTHER, I’ didn’t found it to be that hard like most say.

TheZunar123 said on May. 1, 2011

@Mato: Actually, I did an experiment one time on the RPGOne translation. I took an RPGOne ROM with the Easy Ring Beta, and then applied the beta hack with the Easy Ring in Ninten’s room. The result? Two Easy Rings. Got Lloyd, equipped one to him. Two Easy Rings = Double Effect = WIN

I haven’t tried it with Mato’s translation yet, though.

Grawp said on May. 1, 2011

For those of us who aren’t aware of how to play the translation on “actual hardware”, could you enlighten us?

Rock said on May. 1, 2011

@Grawp: Playing the translation in actual hardware means running the ROM in a real GBA instead of an emulator. You can do this using some special cartridges, the flashcarts. Even though those are illegal (I think… ), you can use them to play hacks, translations and super-rare games on your GBA/DS. Of course, all of Mato translations are completely tested, and they should work on all flashcarts.

Grawp said on May. 1, 2011

@Rock

Do they still make GBA flashcarts? I thought they discontinued those.

Rock said on May. 1, 2011

@Grawp: I think you’re right, they no longer make GBA flashcarts, but if you search on Ebay, you can still get them.
After a quick Google search, I found this:

I don’t know if they still have them on stock, but the site doesn’t says anything about it, so you should check it out!

Roxas13Sora said on May. 1, 2011

im having a hard time finding an lunar ips for mac that works :P

Rock said on May. 1, 2011

@Roxas13Sora: Try out this one :

It should work for you.

IdiotMan said on May. 2, 2011

If you equip the easy ring, will it affect the entire party? If it doesn’t, we’ll have to manage with one lopsided party…

Mato said on May. 2, 2011

Yeah, I made it so only Ninten can equip it, but it works for everyone in the party if he has it on. I should’ve made that clearer somehow, now that I look back.

pranavmeno said on May. 5, 2011

Mato-san, you wouldn’t happen to have the tables you made for the translation still with you, would you? I was really having a terrible time making one, and that’s when it occurred to me that you might still have the one that helped you translate M1+2. Zunar and I are still working on the M2 side of things, and if we could use your table, it would really help out, thanks!

Mato said on May. 5, 2011

It’s in the tools file, look through the text files.

TheZunar123 said on May. 5, 2011

@Pranav: m2_jpn_table.txt is the file you’re looking for. I’m using it for my translations.

_Calvin_ said on May. 7, 2011

This actually makes me excited to come back from school
to play a Nes Game. (unlike M1,I couldn’t even get past Laura!)

Snowman said on May. 10, 2011

I only wish that my first playthrough of Mother 1 was with this patch, rather than the incomplete RPGOne patch, but despite that, your hard work has made my planned second playthrough much more enjoyable, which I am really grateful for. Anyways, I just wanted a chance to say thanks, Mato, for all you’ve done for us Mother fans.

Kuwanger said on May. 11, 2011

Well, I just finished Mother 1 my first a short while ago. I’m still rather amazed at how much it reminds me of both Earthbound and Mother 3. Thanks again, Mato, for the translation patch and especially the Easy Ring. My previous attempts at Mother 1 have always sort of ground to a halt because of all the grinding. It’s nice to have finally finished all the Mother games, even if it happens that I finished Mother 1 last. :)

Doruchan said on May. 11, 2011

I actually completed 3, then earthbound, then 1 :P

Sundaque said on May. 13, 2011

Ever heard of GBA hacks to restore SNES-quality graphics or fix the downsampled music? Knowing this fanbase, someone will eventually come along and not only finish up the Mother 2 side, but also fix the audio issues. =p

Tomato, this translation turned out fantastic. It’s much clearer than the prototype’s text. I’m sure someone would like to overwrite your translation over the EB0 or Famicom Mother ROM next.

Rex said on May. 19, 2011

How do make my own translations?

Mato said on May. 19, 2011

Download the tools and read the text file with the instructions in it.

PKSTARMAN said on May. 30, 2011

Please someone help, I don’t really understand the steps Mato put, I have been head-scratching for 5 hours trying to patch this!

Mato said on May. 30, 2011

There’s not much more to say other than what’s in the instructions. It’s very simple – you can either “hard patch” it or “soft patch” it. To hard patch it use a program like Lunar IPS. To soft patch it, read your emulator’s documentation, but usually you just rename the patch to match the ROM, so if the ROM was called mother12.gba, rename the patch to be mother12.ips and put it in the same folder.

Ross said on May. 31, 2011

PKSTARMAN: here’s the official Lunar IPS website. DL lunar ips, then run it. Click “Apply IPS Patch.” Use the navigation (click through folders) to find your M1+2 English patch (mother12.ips) from here. (Make sure you’ve extracted the .zip file with WinRAR or similar programs; there should be the “mother12.ips” and “mother12.txt” files after extraction.) Then it should ask for your rom, so find your CLEAN, UNPATCHED Japanese rom (no help here) and click OK. It should be permapatched (or hard patched, but I like permapatch better!). I hate soft patching ‘cuz then on my iPod Touch, SuperCard DSTWO, and GP2X Caanoo they’ll only be in Japanese… (Their emulators don’t support soft patching.) I love Mato’s patch, but I liked YamaRei (Mtn. Cat) better than Linx… Make sure that you have a M1+2 cartridge to back up/ or at least own 1 if you’re going to dl the rom (Google’s your bestest buddie in the whole wide world!) as the 1st isn’t AT ALL piracy, but the 2nd is morally gray… The 3rd way, without owning M1+2, is BLATANT piracy and is 100% wrong. (Not to mention illegal!)

PKSTARMAN said on May. 31, 2011

Thank you! I love you! (In a non-gay way)

PKSTARMAN said on May. 31, 2011

Wait, I tried what you said, but it’ didn’t work. Can someone be so gentle as to make a video of how to patch this and put it on YouTube?

PKSTARMAN said on May. 31, 2011

@Mato
I downloaded the ROM, but when I rename the part of .zip into .gba, it says it may not work if I do that. What’s going on?

Doruchan said on May. 31, 2011

PKSTARMAN – It doesnt work. You ahve to download winRAR and extract the .zip file for the .gba file.

Mato said on May. 31, 2011

Exactly. I say this specifically in the instructions:

Once you have the ROM, make sure it is unzipped/uncompressed.

Just in case you don’t know, a .zip file is a compressed file. Think of a .zip file as something like a suitcase. You want to take the ROM out of the suitcase first. Otherwise, you’re trying to patch the suitcase itself, which of course is nonsense :P

PKSTARMAN said on Jun. 2, 2011

It doesn’t matter now. I patched it 20 mins after I wrote those comments. Your translation is full of WIN, but something is bugging me… You wrote in the notes of MOTHER that I don’t have to compare it with EB, but how do you want me to forget about EB if you put a lot of lines and names from EB? You even put Swoosh to the eye’s family and Oak to the Woodoh family. Anyway, you did a good work translating it directly from the Japanese game.

thisguy said on Jun. 18, 2011

hey Mato, i know i’m like ten years late to the party, but i just recently got turned back onto the Mother series. THANK YOU so much for making Mother 1 playable for me! for some reason the M1+2 version feels so much more comfortable, what with the snazzy L button functionality and how i can feel for danger and running no longer causes everyone to move super fast. also, TEXT SPEED. thanks man. the Mother fanbase would be missing someone absolutely amazing without you. :)

pkstarstorm1up said on Jul. 4, 2011

Hey Mato! Great Job on the patch! You are a really smart guy!

ps. How come you changed Ninten’s shirt back to being stripeless like in the Famicom Version? His official Clay Model had that Yellow Stripe so how come? and is it possible to change it back?

pss. Do you think someday you’ll be able to put the NES’s versions music into the gameboy advance rom? If so that would create the perfect Mother 1 experience. I know your a busy man but please respond to these questions!:D

Mato said on Jul. 4, 2011

I basically changed all the graphics back to the original version, but since all the tools and stuff are there for people to use, you can easily make it so the graphic changes are left out.

Getting the NES music into the GBA version is probably beyond my skills. It’s easy to mess with text and stats, but dealing with audio isn’t as intuitive for me.

Megaman X said on Aug. 1, 2011

Man! If only my Mother 1+2 copy that i play on my DS lite was in english and had the same quality mother 1 did on the NES and mother 2 did on the SNES . That would make it a more enjoyable 2 in one game! Same thing with mother 3 i also wish that was in english for a handheld.

Shaun said on Aug. 2, 2011

Dude,Mato,you need a vacation.;)

Lord Passion said on Aug. 18, 2011

How come the towns are named after holidays?
They used to be Podunk,Youngtown,Elay etc.?

omnomnominous said on Aug. 18, 2011

@Lord Passion

The towns were named after holidays in the original Japanese release, but were changed in Nintendo America’s official translation so they wouldn’t be religiously sensitive in any way.

Avery said on Aug. 20, 2011

did any one else notice that its hard to play anytime you try sometimes

Avery said on Aug. 20, 2011

or is it just broken

Poe said on Aug. 20, 2011

What do you mean, Avery?

Jungyin said on Aug. 20, 2011

Ten dollars says Avery never considered the possibility he did something wrong instead of there being something wrong with the patch.

Also, “sometimes” or “anytime”, which is it? It can’t be both.

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

Does a DS have region lockout?

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

looked it up, thats a no so could i play a Mother 1+2 GBA cart on my DS?

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

thats a yes!

Tranzlater said on Aug. 22, 2011

I dont know if you figured this out yet Zoom, but Mother 1+2 plays fine on a DS. I play it on my DS.

Zoom! said on Aug. 22, 2011

@Tranzlater in Japanese?! I

Zoom! said on Aug. 22, 2011

Assuming I buy a flash cart, how do I put the translate ROM on it?

PKJohnny said on Aug. 22, 2011

i LPed this game it was so awesome you can view it on my youtube channel macbookjohnny96

Zoom! said on Aug. 22, 2011

I’ll bet

DJ 2Sang said on Aug. 26, 2011

We as Earthbound fans have proven we are the most loyal of fans, we (or mato specifically) have translated 3 games now, and even made a guide with awesome clay models! We so deserve just a head nod for god’s sake

Zoom! said on Aug. 26, 2011

Is the Mother 2 sides text like Earthbound’s?

Slightly Unclean, Not Very Tasty Cookie said on Aug. 27, 2011

Why didn’t you just translate the NES version of Mother? The Mother 1+2 Version has noticeably lower sound quality, among other things. I don’t understand why the inferior Game Boy Advance version was used instead. It can’t be because of Mother 2, since it wasn’t fully translated (and it really shouldn’t be, considering Earthbound is already around and is superior to the Mother 1+2 version in addition to the difficulty of hacking it).

The Game Boy version of Mother is still perfectly playable (and very well translated). But it kind of puts me off knowing there is a better version that could be in English instead (Discounting Earthbound Zero, due to its excessive censoring).

Regardless, thank you Tomato for the effort you’ve put into your work to bring Mother to us common English speaking folk.

Mato said on Aug. 27, 2011

It’s a lot easier to hack the GBA owing to better hardware and more memory, there was no need to fight for blank space for the new data, adding new code was much easier, plus I only know how to do serious hacking with GBA games anyway :P

Dr.Starky said on Oct. 4, 2011

Also, the GBA version has a run button and a shortcut key.

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 7, 2011

Is this translation still alive, or has everyone left to play Nintendo 3DS?

Mato said on Oct. 7, 2011

I’m not sure what you’re asking. The patch is done and complete.

If you’re asking about the Mother 2 part, I explain it in the FAQ section here: http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 8, 2011

No, what I meant is “Is the MOTHER 1+2 Translation still being done? Such as crash fixes when cancelling attacks on enemies such as the Fugitive or the Bonus Swoosh.”

Try playing through the game yourself and cancel attacks on some enemies and see for yourself

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 9, 2011

If you didn’t get it, I was asking if this translation has been discontinued and abandoned

Mato said on Oct. 9, 2011

I might go back and fix bugs like that, but it’s not on my priority list. Part of the reason I released all the source code, tools, and files was so that other folks could improve on the work too.

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 9, 2011

No, most of the stuff in the translation contains bugs that 0% related to text translation like, which I mentioned, cancelling your attack on later enemies like the Bonus Swoosh in Magicant or the Fugitive in Thanksgiving/Merrysville and so on.

Mato said on Oct. 9, 2011

The source code is available if people want to try to improve the hacking is what I’m saying :P

OctobotFire said on Oct. 9, 2011

@mato I don’t mean to sound annoying or rude, but I had a dream that Earthbound was on the 3DS virtual console, and then read that virtual console games are basically roms. Knowing that your a good hacker, I wanted to know if you could please release mother 1/2 and/or 3 for 3DS users. If you say no then I completely understand… But Please?

Mato said on Oct. 9, 2011

Just give it some time, people will have emulators running on the 3DS. If they haven’t already figured it out already :P

I can’t comment since I don’t have a 3DS or know much about them. I don’t even have a DS Lite, just the old clunky one from 2004 or whenever.

OctobotFire said on Oct. 9, 2011

@mato my chunky one broke…

David said on Oct. 16, 2011

Got hooked onto Mother 1 quickly…Thanks for adding the Easy Ring, Mato!

P.S. There’s a typo in the Mother 2 translation. Titanic Ant uses Def. Up, but it lowers Ness’s Defense; you might want to change it to Def. Down. I’d also like to thank you for translating the item/PSI names, I don’t think I’d get past Onett without it!

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 22, 2011

Ah whatever, I guess I won’t bother playing MOTHER 1+2 until MOTHER 1 gets its fixes from an amazing hacker or Jeffman “manages” to get MOTHER 2 translated (not just the menus and names) until Christmas or later

wuuds said on Nov. 24, 2011

thanks so much Mato.
always wanted to play this. thanks for giving up so much of your free time for this.

Roope said on Nov. 27, 2011

DOES NOT WORK

Minifig2401 said on Jan. 2, 2012

Not to be rude or pressing or a being a pest but…. Is someone making a mother 2 translation! I read in the comments And I’m excited! Good luck to the translators!!! ( I hope I didn’t make a fool out of myself if there is no fanslation….)

Mato said on Jan. 2, 2012

A couple people are trying to work on the Mother 2 part here: http://earthboundcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=526

AltoMaximus said on Jan. 2, 2012

I have heard that Jeffman quit the translation, and it is being translated by a new member.
Is this true?
If so who is the new member of the translation?

blanonymous said on Jan. 3, 2012

sorry if this has been mentioned before but i couldn’t find any similar reports or complaints

my friend and i recently completed a run of M1 and found the encounter rate to be absolutely preposterous, despite having the easy ring equipped

by preposterous i mean battles at somewhere in the range of EVERY STEP maybe 30% of the time which probably shouldn’t be happening

i tried unequipping the easy ring at one point for an extended period and actually found the encounter rate to be much more tolerable (my friend didn’t test this on their file)

i know you’re not prioritizing work on this patch anymore but i figured i might as well put this out there to see if anybody else has had similar findings or feels like investigating the matter

Mato said on Jan. 3, 2012

Honestly, this is the first I’ve heard of this in a year, so I don’t know what to say. The only thing I can think of is that the ROM or the patch is corrupt in some way, but I haven’t heard of incorrect dumps of this ROM so I’m stumped.

Anonymous said on Jan. 3, 2012

hopefully it’s an isolated case then, but for what it’s worth, as far as i remember, we both acquired our ROM independently, albeit several months apart, and applied the patch likewise. she played on the VBA CE emulator while I played on an M3 DS Real flashcart. the disparity in acquisition and execution is mostly what suggested to me that it might be an issue with the patch, since if it were just me having the problem i would have assumed it was something i did

i wouldn’t worry about it if it’s only affecting a small margin of players though

also i certainly don’t mean to sound ungrateful or anything if i do, and i’d actually like to go ahead and use this as a chance to thank you for the tremendous amount of work you’ve put into this for us all. your translation has completely revitalized the game for me, and allowed my friend, a relative newcomer to the series, to appreciate it for everything it is and come to love it as much as i do without being put off by some of the game’s…less desireable features. it means a lot to me personally that i was able to share this experience with her, so i owe you my utmost gratitude once again

blanonymous said on Jan. 3, 2012

oh whoops that was me somebody stole my cookies

…not that it wasn’t obvious from the context of the post or anything……………………..

Minifig2401 said on Jan. 23, 2012

Oh and mato thanks. i tried to play eb zero on nestopia, and it was hard. i’m sure that the easy ring will make things better!

Timothy said on Mar. 25, 2012

What kind of font did you use to replace the usual EB0 font??

Mato said on Mar. 26, 2012
Rebane said on Apr. 9, 2012

oh my! Thank you so much! I wanted to play it but it being in anothe language sorta prevented that! Even if the patch is for the first one :/

None the less, thank you for your work on translating it! lol ^^

Chris Highwind said on May. 2, 2012

Holy cow, it’s only a few days over a year since this was released o.o And it’s only a few months since I actually caught wind of it.

Maybe I oughta lurk more, who knows, maybe I might come across a translation patch for the Mother 2 half in a few years, and the trilogy will be completely playable in English on GBA. Ah, that’d be awesome.

M1 Fan said on Sep. 10, 2012

I’m probably gonna a work on a Mother 2 Translation. It would probably take like two years though.I’m actually not that bad at hacking but, I’ve got a far way to go.

M1 Fan said on Sep. 10, 2012

Oh and by the way great hack by the way.

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

I loved the translation, Mato! It’s even better than Earth Bound(which is not to be confused with its sequel, EarthBound)!

YuugaSakura said on Jun. 15, 2013

THANK YOU.
I’ve been looking all over for this.
THANK YOU 1000x.
You have no idea what this means to brand-new fans like me.

Salim said on Sep. 29, 2013

Do you keep this page updated with the latest patch[es]?

Mato said on Sep. 29, 2013

Do you mean http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/ ? If so, yeah, I keep it updated with the latest release, although I haven’t released a new version in a long time. I still hope to release a newer version sometime, but there’s a bug I’d like to fix first, yet I can’t find a way to get it to happen for me :(

Find Merchandise!