April 2nd, 2011 | Events, MOTHER 1+2, Videos

Last night the Starmen.Net/Fangamer guys kicked off a MOTHER 1 Fanfest (site here). A little bit before it started, Reid was like, “Hey, is your translation far along enough that we could play it for everyone watching?” So I sent him the current beta build of the translation patch. He and his cohorts played through from the start of the game all the way to saving Pippi, so if you want to see the current translation in action, you can check it out here! Skip to around 22:40 into that video if you want to get right to them playing the game!

The coolest thing to me was seeing how people (who are basically almost complete newcomers to the game) act and react to stuff. Seeing them realize they can get infinite orange juice or mistaking the canaries in Canary Village for Flying Men in the graveyard was a hoot 😛 Also, it was cool seeing the Easy Ring in action, and it seemed to genuinely make the game more playable for them. Sort of, anyway…

I still need to do a thorough final revision of the game’s text, so a lot of it might seem a bit off, plus I’ve noticed a few other little issues here and there. But if you get time, check out the video and let me know your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.!

35 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Preview

Lunise said on Apr. 2, 2011

Your patch looks like it’s coming along well so far. I’m looking forward to using it once it’s finished! I watched Officecam last night, and the lamp incident just about killed me. I really enjoyed seeing that early build of your patch in action, too. It really brought the world of Mother to life last night. Keep up the good work, Tomato! I believe in you! 😀

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 2, 2011

That must’ve been an April Fools Joke, Mato. Epic though! Keep up the good work!

TGP said on Apr. 2, 2011

Oh geez, Mato strikes again. The lamp thing certainly caught me off guard. XD

Sadsa said on Apr. 2, 2011

Nice, I was really wondering if they were going to use your patch. It is also a good way to advertise to other people so they it can attract more people to play mother 1.

mother freak said on Apr. 2, 2011

awsome mato! last night i brought earthbound to a church lock in and played it all night! we got to the plague rat of doom but then we all zonked out

Ice Sage said on Apr. 2, 2011

Watched all of it last night, and it made me even more excited for the final patch. It’s too bad about the lackluster music quality though…

I particularly enjoyed watching them use the “Hard Ring.” 😛

Anonymous said on Apr. 2, 2011

I noticed you called the man “Redneck” XD

Halloween said on Apr. 2, 2011

Is Dad supposed to call before the poltergeist has left the house?

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

Mato said on Apr. 2, 2011

Halloween: Yeah, it works that way, most people just don’t go downstairs before beating up all the enemies. I still gotta rephrase his text so he doesn’t use past tense there.

Atheist said on Apr. 2, 2011

A church “lock in”? How horrible. *shudder*

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Apr. 2, 2011

I went to a church lock-in (in name only) once. I remember we told ghost stories in the cemetary at like 2 in the morning, freaky!

NecrosaroIII said on Apr. 3, 2011

How does Meela put up with that beard >_>

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 3, 2011

That hard patch was the funniest thing ever Mato.

Corey said on Apr. 3, 2011

Wow, sooooo gooood! Doink

SeanPeden said on Apr. 3, 2011

Is the music sync issue in the official Mother 1+2? I noticed the drums were out-of-sync in Pollyanna and the Hippie theme.

Ross said on Apr. 3, 2011

Yeah, in my M1+2 cart the drums are in sync. It’s probably just the emu! 🙂

Labrynian Rebel said on Apr. 4, 2011

I know this isn’t the final version but I’m glad Redneck is being seriously considered since I think it fits in really nicely with the Hippies and other sterotypes in the game.

mother freak said on Apr. 4, 2011

no it was awesome we could stay up all night!

EarthBound015 said on Apr. 4, 2011

I went to a church lock-in before. I was even atheist at the time and had a great time. I was helping the younger kids learn how to build computers and we stayed up all night play Earthworm Jim 2 on the computer. Good memories of good times <3

Bowser Koopa said on Apr. 4, 2011

Anyone have any idea which version of the Snowman theme is playing at the very beginning of the justin.tv link provided?

It’s freaking awesome and I MUST have it! 🙂

blahmoomoo said on Apr. 4, 2011

@Bowser Koopa: That would be “The Snowman’s Mojo” by G. Wicks. It is track 10 of the Rock Candy 4 album.

Bowser Koopa said on Apr. 5, 2011

blahmoomoo, please bear my children.

Thanks so much for the link! Downloading the songs right now (whoa, cool…they’re free!).

blahmoomoo said on Apr. 6, 2011

Erm, I don’t think that will ever happen. Sorry. 😛

And yes, they are all amazing fan remixes. They make up a significant chunk of my playlist.

Hellohello said on Apr. 7, 2011

Maybe you should, after skimming the text to your satisfaction, release a beta so people can spot textual errors and save you from having to make a 1.1 patch.

bahooney said on Apr. 7, 2011

^This, God, please.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 7, 2011

I agree with Hellohello. Mato, you should release a beta patch of the game (both sides translated), and let us play both sides so that we can give you our comments.

Mato said on Apr. 7, 2011

I already explained that I don’t plan on doing that. Though I’ll gladly take comments once the released version is out, like we did with Mother 3.

Floridian said on Apr. 7, 2011

@Mother freak: Thanks for the idea! I know what to do for the next lock-in at my church!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 7, 2011

Ok, Mato. Do you have plans to release a beta of just the Mother 1 side?

Anthony said on Apr. 7, 2011

I won’t let u have the last post TheZunar123 😛

Mato said on Apr. 7, 2011

No, I don’t have plans to release a beta of the Mother 1 one.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 7, 2011

Oh, ok.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 7, 2011

This patch is my most anticipated download right now. I’m playing through MOTHER 1 for the first time now(NES version, with the easy patch), and I’m loving it. However, I feel that some of the dialog is a little… disembodied and inhuman. I blame the lack of a proper translation, but maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, I’d love to be able to play a translation done with the same level of expertise as the MOTHER 3 translation. None of the dialog in that game sounded inhuman, that’s for sure!

mother freak said on Apr. 7, 2011