April 20th, 2011 | MOTHER 3

Today’s April 20th, which means many things for many different people – and it also marks the day MOTHER 3 was released. The game was released in 2006, so it’s five years old now. Man, has it been that long already? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Looking back, we started EarthBound.Net/Starmen.Net only three and a half years after EarthBound’s release, and here we are five years after the sequel’s release. I dunno, just seems hard to believe. Someone should start a MOTHER 3-centric site someday, that’d be cool I bet.

Anyway, my question to you is: has your opinion of MOTHER 3 changed in the last five years? Has it aged well, or is it already too old-fashioned? For me, I think the best part was the wait for it after the late-2005 announcements. The game was great, but the community’s excitement at the time was really fun too. Also, I think the music has grown on me a lot since then, I remember at first I was kind of underwhelmed, but I’ve since come to appreciate the different style of the third game.

69 Comments to Five Years of MOTHER 3

Mato said on Apr. 20, 2011

Haha looks like I’ve done one of these each year EB Central has been around. Now to get me some weed at Hitler’s bday party.

fael said on Apr. 20, 2011

nothing to say about M3, it’s amazing.

however, i’d like to thank you for the amazing job with the translation.

Leirin_ said on Apr. 20, 2011

It’s hard even for me to believe, considering I wasn’t a part of this community when it was out. I was, however, informed of its release in 2006 thanks to the video game sites I circulated, namely Spriters Resource (and I recall Rainbow Resort having a bit of a celebration for it as well). I’ve only beaten it once, and I think now would be a good time to finally play it in English. Amazing how a game that’s not constantly on my thoughts still has an effect on me as a person.

Christie said on Apr. 20, 2011

@Leirin: “Amazing how a game thatโ€™s not constantly on my thoughts still has an effect on me as a person.”

Well said.

The Man With No Name said on Apr. 20, 2011

Tomato go get high and play mother 3 lol

platinatina said on Apr. 20, 2011

I really wanted to draw something nice for M3’s fifth anniversary as a tribute, but I couldn’t finish it in time. Bah.

I wasn’t around in the community when it first came out, nor the translation, but what I *do* know is that I’ve loved it from the moment I first played it. Still my favorite out of all of the Mother games, still my favorite game ever.

Dan said on Apr. 20, 2011

I played M3 for the first time last year and it absolutely blew my mind. Happy M3 Day, everyone. Thanks for all the work you did translating Mother 3, Tomato. I’m a different person because of it.

Someone who loves The Mother Series said on Apr. 20, 2011

I grew up playing Earthbound every year, sometimes 3 or 4 times a year because it took me to a special place – it was almost like I was Ness and that I lived in Onett. Earthbound has a special part in my life, it has made me sad, happy, VERY happy, laugh, etc. It’s safe to say that no other game could even approach it – well until Mother 3.

Don’t get me wrong, EB is still my favorite, by far actually, but M3 was the first game that could even come close. M3 even did something that EB couldn’t do. Make me tear up, almost cry. I’ve never played such an emotional game before and it really hit me. I felt like I was watching the Notebook, laughing at funny jokes, and listening to my favorite music at the same time – that is the emotional appeal this game had on me. This game even gets you to really care about The protaganist unlike any other game. You feel bad or feel happy for him depending where the game is at. Even in EB do i ever really legitly “care” (loose term of the word care, though) about Ness as much as i care about Lucas, and even Clause.

Thank you Mato for this wonderful site. I’ve been banned off of starmen.net (i have no idea why) and thank you to all the wonderful Mother fans who feel exactly the same way i do. And for some reason i honestly cannot think of the guys name who made it (yes HUGE MOTHER SIN, i know) but it’s all a BIG thanks to him.

NekoKnight said on Apr. 20, 2011

So it’s MOTHER 3’s birthday, eh? We should all like, fart in boxes and wrap them up MOTHER style and exchange them as gifts!

Chad48309 said on Apr. 20, 2011

M3 has aged pretty well. One of the few issues it has is that, because of all the cut scenes, it grows irritating reliving all of it again when you play the game frequently. It’s easy to get “burnt out” on M3 (in more ways than one, on this occasion), but it’s still a fun game.

Happy Hitler’s Birthday.

Lucas said on Apr. 20, 2011

I love Mother 3. It has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. It has an awesome and sad story. I really need to get a copy…

m1997 said on Apr. 20, 2011

I love Mother 3. Heck, I love ALL the Mother games! Happy Birthday, M3!

ZombiePosessor said on Apr. 20, 2011

Today’s my birthday. Nothing like a fat blunt and some Mother 3 with no one bothering me on my birthday. Thanks for translating it, so I can get blazed and play this glorious game today.

Qiezei said on Apr. 20, 2011

My opinion that it’s one of the best RPGs ever hasn’t changed. As far as aging, the game kinda did its own thing in terms of presentation. Same goes for Earthbound. Still can’t believe that it hasn’t been released outside Japan despite the high worldwide acclaim.

Anon said on Apr. 20, 2011

Meh, I don’t like the fact that Mother 3 came out on Hitler’s Birthday. Funny that I overlooked that all the time.

All that I have to say is that, everytime I play the game, it feels new and fresh as if it was my first time playing it. It’s just timeless.

Poe said on Apr. 20, 2011

I don’t think any other game I’ve played has hit me as hard emotionally as MOTHER 3 has. The only thing that has come close have been a few books I’ve read. It’s just an excellent story, and the fact that I can interact with it made it that much more enjoyable.

NerdOmega said on Apr. 20, 2011

I still think that it is the amazing, emotional game I came to love one year ago!

Rafael R120 said on Apr. 20, 2011

Mother 3 is one of my favorite games, and IMO the best in the whole series. Everything in Mother 3 is so perfect, that for me, it deserves a 11/10.

Rafael R120 said on Apr. 20, 2011

Also, thanks to you, all the people that played it without Japanese language studies, could play the game. Thanks! And happy birthday MOTHER 3!

Starman said on Apr. 20, 2011

Where’s my Mother 1 gift, Mato.

MG said on Apr. 20, 2011

Mother 3 is my favorite out of the three (though that might have something to do with me completing it first) and I still think it’s the extraordinary game that it was when I first played it.

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 20, 2011

@leirin_ I thought your name looked familier XD

and I didn’t hear about M3 intil 2007 when lucas was confirmed for the Brawl roster, just like I never heard of Earthbound til Melee (didn’t unlock Ness in the 64). then I didn’t start getting really into it intil the fan translation came out (so happy it did).

the luckiest gamers in the world are the ones who play Nintendo games like Earthbound and Mother 3.

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 20, 2011

(may I add Mother 3…is the first game I ever felt emotionally connected to)

Linkzcap said on Apr. 20, 2011

Mother 3 came out on 4/20? LOL

funny game

pranavmeno said on Apr. 20, 2011

Damn… Five years? MOTHER 3 still feels like a fresh and new game. It’s done an outstanding job with aging. There aren’t many games that can boast such fantastic re-playability.

In fact, I’d go as far as to say that I still have yet to find a DS or Wii or 360 or PS3 title that can top M3. It is only beaten by my beloved MOTHER 2, and even then, not by much.

I wish the SNES and GBA were still around… The best Nintendo Consoles ever made.

Halloween said on Apr. 20, 2011

Pretty sure that everyone who has played it to the end would agree that it’s the highlight of the Gameboy Advance… correct me if I’ve forgotten a greater game.

MoonsidianLove said on Apr. 20, 2011

It seems like such a long time has passed from its release. Well, it has, though since the game didn’t age at all one just didn’t notice.
I wonder why exactly do companies release their games on a date that has the dubious honour of being Marijuana Culture Day and Adolf Hitler’s birthday.
Well, I don’t need drugs. I get high on MOTHER.

tintinophile691 said on Apr. 20, 2011

I managed to pressure my father into playing a MOTHER game yesterday, but he decided to start at M1. He only got to Pippi’s house near the beginning of the game before deciding to quit. Jerk. At least I spent $20 on McDonalds that day.

The only problem I have with MOTHER 3 is that Chapter 6 seems a bit tacked on, but other than that, I’m fine with the story, and it’s very definitely better than most others I’ve seen in an RPG. It’s proof that I will never ever need a modern console (unless a MOTHER 4 comes out, ๐Ÿ™‚

SamWibatt said on Apr. 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, M3! And thanks a million once again for all your hard & awesome work, Mato!

Bobjoemac said on Apr. 20, 2011

Long time lurker just now made a account. Any time I start up Earthbound I’m flooded with nostalgia because it was one of those games my best friend, brother and I would play together and have the time of our lives.
None of us live near each other anymore and when Mother 3 finally came out I was so pumped but trying to play it in japanese made no sense so I waited for the patch.
When I finally was able to play and understand it, the raw emotion I got from the game I could never truely describe. I told my brother about it and told my best friend from so many years ago, whom I had slowly stopped talking to, a messege about the game and for a few weeks we all sent messeges back and forth about how great the game was and all the dumb stuff we found hilarious… I could go on but…

Thank you Itoi for allowing a 24 year old man to experience what it was like to be that age again when we played Earthbound. Thank you.

Sam #2 said on Apr. 20, 2011

Mother series and weed, two things that belong together. Have a happy Mother 3 5th anniversary everybody!

Linkdude said on Apr. 21, 2011

To me, the game feels the same. It had a very special, almost nostalgic feeling when I first played it, and even now it has the same effect. ๐Ÿ˜€

Springymajig said on Apr. 21, 2011

Sadly I’ve only been able to play through this once, but I absolutely adored it… I want to get through it a few more times because from that one time, I liked it more than Earthbound (it certainly is more emotional, but Earthbound was emotional in a more subtle way, and I’m not sure if that is better or not).

I loved the music when I played the game but listening to it separately I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much. I think this is actually a sign of being very good soundtrack music; the music should be inseparable from the visuals, and the visuals inseparable from the music.

While I’m not a huge fan of the film and I’ve also only seen it once, I think There Will Be Blood is a perfect example of this. The soundtrack is INCREDIBLE, and gives the film a really unique atmosphere, however, when listened to by itself, it’s not so exciting.

Scalemate said on Apr. 21, 2011

Happy [can I say belated because I’m a day late?] Fifth Birthday, Mother 3!

And the fact it came out on 4/20 is quite, erm, ‘stunning’.

Onion said on Apr. 21, 2011

Happy Birthday M3 ๐Ÿ˜€

I suppose now would be the perfect time for another playthrough…

Dwibble said on Apr. 21, 2011

Happy 5th B-Day, MOTHER 3!

I’d just like to say thanks for giving me something interesting to break the dull monotony of everyday life. Thank you for being so awesome, random, and sometimes sad/creepy at the same time! Whenever I find myself in a boring situation, I just think, “Where the heck did they get the idea for those creepy oxygen machines?”

As for MOTHER 3 being released on 4/20, well, I brought in a policemen to comment on this. He didn’t have very much to say, other than this:

Officer: Please don’t stare directly at me. It may make me want to arrest you.

Random guardian said on Apr. 21, 2011

Man! That short! I was one of those people who have MOTHER 3 to thank for being a fan. I knew about Earthbound the whole time but when I found MOTHER 3 years ago I became a rock solid fan. I still hum tracks from the game every now and again.

Anonymous said on Apr. 21, 2011

Todayโ€™s April 20th, which means many things for many different people

I lol’d.

Happy anniversary mother 3.

Meanie said on Apr. 21, 2011

Mother 3, at the time, I loved it. But as a played it, I realized, it’s not Earthbound. It’s a good game in its own sense, but it’s not earthbound. It’s too much of a departure of the first two. Where’s the hippies? The aliens? Eh…the fanbase doesn’t help. I’d like it a lot more if the “fans” would feck off. The obsessive amounts of it in Brawl too made it less special. It’s not Mother’s fault, I know, but still…

TBird said on Apr. 21, 2011

Wow five years. This game redefined what makes the Mother series special for me. It removed many aspects I thought drew me to the series but made me apreciate the subtle aspects that set it apart. On top of that it’s just a fun game to play! I hope itoi finds a motivation and the resources to make Mother 4. No matter how it turns out I know that if Itoi makes something worthy of being Mother 4, it will be special.

Greiv said on Apr. 21, 2011

Words aren’t enough. <3

future4 said on Apr. 21, 2011

It was pretty cool, very story oriented more than earthbound.

? said on Apr. 21, 2011

Timeless game, a game for all ages, a tragedy it hasn’t been published in North America.

Anon said on Apr. 21, 2011

Think of us poor Europeans too, we never even got any Mother game.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 21, 2011

The biggest thing with Mother 3 for me the last five years was waiting patiently first for news of an official English version, and then for the fan translation. I loved checking the fan translation’s blog every day for news and updates, and then when it was finally finished i was literally walking on air. Now i’m experiencing the same thing again with the M1+2 translation. Thank you Mato.

LakituAl said on Apr. 21, 2011

@Leirin

Hey, didn’t you used to have Mr. Minch as an avatar?

Anyways, I remember I knew when the patch was released because Brawl in the Family had a strip about it (Dedede is a good Fassad!). I remember I promised myself I’d start playing Mother 3 after I finished Earthbound.

Broke the promise, couldn’t resist.

ebfreak said on Apr. 22, 2011

mother 3 + hitler that disturbs me!

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

This is just out there, but I’ve noticed something in Mother 3 when you’re fighting enemies. There are two different kinds of blue battle entry animations. One is squares, and the other is circles. If the animation is blue squares, you can easily run from that battle. If it is circles, you’re going to have a hard time running from it. Though, be warned: It is possible to get both on the same type of enemy.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Excuse me, it’s the other way around. Circles = Easy, Squares = Hard.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Wait… crap, sometimes that doesn’t work. Ignore these comments of mine; I thought that worked.

Claus said on Apr. 22, 2011

I still think very highly of Mother 3 and I will always think very highly of Mother 3, but back then (and for me, this is like 2008) I thought even more highly of Mother 3 because that was when I was first experiencing the game. Now, having played and beaten all three of them, I realize that lots of things that make Mother 2 my favorite game are missing in Mother 3. So I still think it is a fantastic game, just not as good as Mother 2.

Robo85 said on Apr. 22, 2011

I beat the game 3 times in 4 weeks and was working on a fourth file before I gave the GBA up for lent, that is all.

Big A2 said on Apr. 22, 2011

Jesus, has it been 5 years already?!

I love Mother 3, but the lanuage barrier (and that I’m not too fond of emulators) prevents me from going back a playing it again. If I had an English GBA cart, I’d probably play through it once a year.

EarthBound015 said on Apr. 22, 2011

@Big A2 You should look into a EZ Flash 3-in-1 card and some kind of flash cart for that. It is the only way I’ll play M3. Cant stand emulators, either.

Dr. Meat said on Apr. 22, 2011

I can’t believe it’s already been five years. It makes me feel old, since it doesn’t seem like that long ago.

massing ness said on Apr. 25, 2011

5 years! OMFG i feel old!

shrud said on Apr. 28, 2011

why are you guys celebrating adolf hitlers birthday?

Anonymous said on Apr. 28, 2011

i didn’t know hitler was 5 years old

SomeUser said on Apr. 30, 2011

My feelings haven’t changed, really.
And I know I’m about to get flamed, but

Awesome music; okay game.

Mother 1 was always my favorite. I think I must be masochistic or something, especially because I put myself through retarded hard games and things.

Where’s the Mother 1 Hard Patch? xD

Rock said on Apr. 30, 2011

Mother 3 is way more linear than Mother 2. The world’s littler, and it doesn’t has many secret areas. Don’t get me wrong, the game had a lot of secrets, but none of those were “secret areas”. Most secrets of the game were text and extra lines. However, I think that Mother 3 wasn’t an “Okay game”. I think it was good. Mother 3 was good, but Mother 2 was excellent. I haven’t finished Mother 1, but with Mato’s patch, I’ll probably do it soon.

TokiTheInterestingGizmo said on Apr. 30, 2011

Rock: I think it has to do with your nostalgia. If you played 2 and then 3, its only natural to say that 2 was ever so slightly better. I played and beat 3, then I beat 2, and am on 1, and I think 3 is ever so slightly better. I don’t know, 2 was excellent and 3 was excellent. Theres really no comparing the 2 games because of the different settings and feel. Same for the first game. You cant really compare that one either.

Lollita said on May. 2, 2011

All story line of Mother games are the best.

Anonymous said on May. 3, 2011

I also find Mother 2 way much better than Mother 3. The parts I enjoyed the most in M2 was exploring the huge cities in the game, entering burger shops, malls, hospitals, etc. Sadly, M3 didn’t had any (just the first town when it’s converted into a kkiind of city, but it’s too small and New Pork City looks more like a chaotic junkyard). M2 was far more inspired in storyline and map design. By the way, I played M2 when I was 19, so I assure you I’m not being carried away by nostalgia.

I’m not saying M3 was a bad game, just that M2 is better.

maskedsaturn said on May. 18, 2011

DARNIT! Mother 3 was released on April 20th? Well heres somin good of a bad persons birthday. AND 6 DAYS AWAY FROM MINE, AND JUST 1 FROM MY FRIEND’S!

PKJohnny said on Aug. 23, 2011

my birthday is april 20th fun fact for you ๐Ÿ™‚

PK Rockin said on Apr. 19, 2012

Almost 6 years now!

Ness said on Aug. 5, 2012

6 years, even though I’m way late.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 1, 2013

@Mato what do you mean by that? Unless you’re referring to how Hitler didn’t smoke and that you’re going to mock him for it, I can think of anything.

Butts McGee (I am Hilarious) said on Jan. 1, 2013

Apple Kid, he was referring to 4/20 with its Hitler’s birthday and weed smoking tendencies.