April 25th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

The other day I posted about a connection between John Lennon and the Sound Stone song in EarthBound. Shortly after, Bagelthooven posted another similarity that’s kind of neat. There’s a song near the end of the game that uses a sound sample that might’ve come from the beginning of a Beach Boys song.

Normally, I’d be like, “Wow, that’s neat, but just a coincidence,” but again, the EarthBound musicians actually name The Beach Boys as some of their inspiration here.

I wonder what other things like this there are…

36 Comments to EarthBound and The Beach Boys?

Christie said on Apr. 25, 2011

In a way, the Beach Boys song kind of resembles Summers’ music, but just a little bit.

Mrs. Saturn said on Apr. 25, 2011

Geez, knowing that makes the Cave of the Past a little less frightening to me. 😛

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 25, 2011

lol @Mrs Saturn 😉

Knowing all these little tidbits is really cool mato!

LakituAl said on Apr. 25, 2011

Now that is what I call a surprise. Seeing I’m used to the stress inducing tune, as soon as I heard the Beach Boys’ song, I got a little bdbfdb sensation, if you know what I mean.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

Seifer said on Apr. 25, 2011

Wow. All of these samples coming out of the woodwork. I can’t imagine Brian Wilson suing Nintendo for such an obscure sample, but lawyers… what are you gonna do?

MG said on Apr. 25, 2011

Now I’m scared of that song.

Kafei2006 said on Apr. 25, 2011

That song disturbs me in a really bad way. Listening to it at 2AM, alone in the room, and it sends shivers down my spine :S.

TGP said on Apr. 25, 2011

Wow, just listen to that… It’s impossible for that to be a coincidence. They obviously took the introduction from the song and played around with it.
Awesome!

Big A2 said on Apr. 25, 2011

Seems like a stretch if you ask me. Deirdre isn’t excatly a well-known Beach Boys song. 😐

Godaigamer said on Apr. 25, 2011

Shhhhh! We don’t need to give Nintendo any more reasons not to release Earthbound on the Virtual Console! 😉

Linkzcap said on Apr. 25, 2011

Awesome. I bet Earthbound secretly made all their songs 100% with samples

JAMESGHOST said on Apr. 25, 2011

Earthbound stole my Mums iPod

Halloween said on Apr. 25, 2011

Wow, great ear… I would have never caught that.

Leirin_ said on Apr. 25, 2011

Cool. I noticed the beginning of “In My Room” sounds a lot like the Kakariko Village tune from A Link to the Past.

Arotelli said on Apr. 25, 2011

Huh. “Loveless” by My Bloody Valentine is listed on that page on Itoi’s site… I can’t read Japanese, but Google Translate mentions something about Giygas in the blurb about it.

JPLC said on Apr. 26, 2011

Speaking of EarthBound music, recently I was listening to “Two of Us” by The Beatles and I think it may have inspired the Twoson theme. Not necessarily a direct thing, but more of the feel of it.

“Two of Us” by The Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Y3PlmwnRM
Twoson theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHlp8w-gcg

Ninten3274 said on Apr. 26, 2011

STOP POINTING OUT SIMILARITIES! NINTENDO STALKS THESE POSTS YOU KNOW!

Leirin_ said on Apr. 26, 2011

Meh, there’s no chance of it at this point anyway…we might as well have our fun.

? said on Apr. 27, 2011

The Magic Butterfly sound reminds me of “Get Down, Make Love”

@2:50 http://youtu.be/M2vk3gOjm6I

G.Wicks said on Apr. 27, 2011

It’s definitely most apparent at the 28 second point on the EB song. I’m guessing that sample is used for all the parts of EB’s song, pitch shifted, etc.

WOW! I love this kind of stuff! Hiroshi Kanazu, Keiichi Suzuki, and Hirokazu Tanaka… what creative dudes. I can honestly say they’ve had a huge creative impact on my own music 🙂

Leirin said on Apr. 27, 2011

@?: OMG, I thought I was the only person that noticed that! I think a lot of the strange sounds in that song sound like something outta EB. While we’re on the subject of Queen, I noticed some time ago that seven seconds into Brighton Rock you can hear something that sounds a lot like the “Wow!” voice clip from when you enter in all the character’s names at the beginning of a new game.

moomoo said on Apr. 27, 2011

Wow, what a catch. That’s definitely it…

I know there’s an interview with Keiichi Suzuki and maybe Tanaka where they mention Brian Wilson as an influence on the game’s music.

What other game rewards such close listening… it’s 15+ years old now and people are still making discoveries…

THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU EARTHBOUND

EnnuiKing said on Apr. 27, 2011

Woah, amazing find!

I like how people are divided on whether this makes the EarthBound song less creepy, or the Beach Boys song more creepy.

SmaMan said on Apr. 30, 2011

Huh, that’s really cool. I bet there’s some weird origin of the samples used for Deep Darkness… I’m right there in my current EB playthrough btw.

Curtis said on May. 2, 2011

This sounds like a rather big stretch. They’re both vastly different in feel. Deirdre is an innocent little pop song, whilst the Cave of the Past theme is more like a frightening ambient drone. The large majority of Deirdre isn’t written by Brian Wilson anyway. It’s mostly a Bruce Johnson tune with a Brian vocal melody. I can see how Smiley Smile could’ve been an influence for the Earthbound composers, though.

Dude said on May. 2, 2011

Curtis: It’s the “DEEEEIIIIIRRRDDRREEEE” at the beginning of the song that you should be paying attention to. They clearly sampled that little bit and messed with it.

Mato said on May. 2, 2011

Skankpit (a really cool audio/music guy and EB fan) actually sent me some stuff the other day that pretty much shows that that song uses that Deirdre clip. In fact, the ENTIRE song is comprised entirely out of that one clip, there are no other instruments 😯

There are a few other songs that do the same thing too, we just never noticed until now. I’m gonna post about ’em in a few days, it’s really cool stuff.

Anonymous said on May. 6, 2011

oh god oh god oh god oh god

I can’t listen to the song from earthbound and hear the lyric ‘deirdre’ repeatitself over and over again.

I’m scared now.

Anonymous said on May. 9, 2011

just take a listen to Brian Wilson’s solo album or even Smile. it dead on influenced Earthbound

Yure said on Dec. 21, 2011

Impressive found.

claudevandog said on Aug. 12, 2012

Wow I’ts crazy how that nice and happy Beach Boys song can turn into one of the creepiest songs in Earthbound. Great job Nintendo. 🙂

Some guy said on Mar. 24, 2013

The Loveless section in that link mentions something about Nirvana as well. Does anybody else think the bass line in “Porky Means Business” sounds like it might have been lifted from Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Anonymous said on May. 7, 2013

Keiichi Suzuki did a cover of the song Good Vibrations on his TOKYO TARO is Living album shortly after Earthbound was released

This images on that page are also a reference to the Pet Sounds album cover.

It’s kind of sad that The Beatles get so much attention for Earthbound’s music when it’s clear that The Beach Boys were much more ingrained in its roots. There are like five artists/albums on that page directly related to The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson, Van Dyke Parks, Randy Newman, and Harry Nilsson were all close friends with each other and hanged out a lot during the ’70s.

But that’s just how The Beatles are, taking credit even when it isn’t their due.

Pamela wolf said on Nov. 18, 2013

Well, I’m not sleeping tonight.

Jeff's Donuts said on Nov. 18, 2013

I think it’s pretty neat that the Cave of the Present sample comes from the Beatles (or the french i guess) and the Cave of the Past sample comes from the Beach Boys.
Seems to me that both are ingrained in the game’s music as well as its dialogue, so there’s no need to get upset.