March 29th, 2011 | MOTHER 1

A good while back, Chewy took on the task of translating the official MOTHER 2 novel (see here), but little did we know that good ol’ kenisu was also working on translating the official MOTHER 1 novel too! He’s been posting little bits and pieces of it on the Starmen.Net boards (though for some reason it got moved from the MOTHER 1 board so I missed it). Anyway, you can check out the excerpt here!

(update: people are getting the wrong idea that this novel is a cheap romance novel – nothing could be further from the truth, this was just one random excerpt I posted. The book is actually more of a tightly-knit adventure tale, you can read more non-mushy excerpts here too.)

I guess I never realized until now how “romance novel”-y it gets in a few parts (but not many!). Here’s a random mushy example:

“. . . . Ana . . . .”

Lloyd exerted force in his hand, and Ana instinctively grimaced.

“Oh, I’m sorry, did that hurt?”

“Yeah, a little.”

“Sorry, sorry.”

“No need to apologize. It’s OK to take pride, you know.”

“Pride?”

“That’s right.” Ana nodded so vigorously that her ponytail swayed up and down.

“You know, Lloyd, back in your town, you were probably just a bespectacled prodigy, but now you’re a fine warrior. You’re even powerful, look how strong you are.”

With a fluttering motion, she held her reddened hand out for him to see, and Lloyd became silent for a while and gazed slowly in turn at Ana’s face, then her hand, then her left eye, then her right eye. And then, suddenly he gripped Ana’s still-aloft hand, pulled her in with a jerk, and pressed his lips against hers. It felt cold, it felt hot, and it was an awfully short kiss.

“Thank you.”

Uuuumgh. Shaking her head, Ana’s heart began to pound. For him to do such a thing out of the blue . . . for Lloyd, whom she thought her friend, to look at her with a jarringly grown-up look in his eyes, it was an absolute shock.

“I’m very glad. For whatever reason, somehow I’m incredibly lucky. I feel amazingly brave now. If we’re warriors, you may be the Goddess of Battle . . . . err, make that a she-warrior, I guess. Ana, I swear this to you: as much as the power is in me, I will protect you. Even with my life, I will protect you. So, no matter what that unthinking brute Ken says, would you please come all the way with us?”

“Ummm…”

Concealing her alarm bell of a heart, Ana smiled impishly. “I would be very honored, and pleased, and grateful – but you really shouldn’t say things that sound like confessions of love. Until you deliver the Kwannon’s Flower to your mother, you have to survive, even if I’m trodden down, OK?”

“. . . . Kwannon’s . . . . ?” Lloyd’s jaw dropped. “How did you know . . . ? I’m sure I haven’t told you about that yet.”
“Well, you see, in short, I’m-”

You can also check out my unfinished super-quick summary of the MOTHER 1 novel here! I’d really like to finish it, but at this rate by the time I’m done with it they’ll be showing EarthBound carts on Antiques Roadshow 3000.

16 Comments to MOTHER 1 Novel Excerpts

Miles of SmashWiki said on Mar. 29, 2011

Well that is…. not the relationship that shippers usually go for in the Mother 1 plotline.

….interesting.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 29, 2011

<3 Ana

Ariatres said on Mar. 29, 2011

…I don’t think Ninten would be very happy to see this.

Erwin said on Mar. 30, 2011

I can’t believe, as an adult, I’m excited to finally read what comes off like a young adult novel. Or… young teen. Uh oh.

Titanic Ant said on Mar. 30, 2011

Ana hits on Ninten AND Lloyd?
Wouldn’t be surprised if she hit on Teddy too.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 30, 2011

That’s…. huh…

Not to disparage the effort that went into translating this, but no sir, I don’t like it.

[…] Check out more translation samples here Permalink […]

Randomguardian said on Mar. 30, 2011

Honestly, the way they brought up kens attitude in the book I am not suprized at this at all

Jason said on Mar. 31, 2011

Yikes and this is only the beginning of the second chapter!!

kenisu said on Mar. 31, 2011

Oh dear. Guess I picked the wrong samples to show off. I included some of the mushy stuff because it would only be fair to warn readers of some of the eye-rollers you get in this book, but maybe my choices gave the wrong impression.

Guys, the novel as a whole isn’t as bad as these samples by themselves make it seem. Chapter 2 is the worst of it, and after a couple of parts in chapter 3 which aren’t all that wonderful, it sort of tapers off until, for the bulk of the story, you just have to stomach the occasional groaner… and, well, the novel’s version of the Ken-and-Ana-love-declaration scene in chapter 8. I think we’re more-or-less home free after that, but since I’m translating it as I’m reading it (and using the utmost of my willpower to not read ahead, since I’m barely fifty pages away from the end), I’m not sure yet.
The underlying theme is really Ana’s passage into womanhood and learning how to act like sort of the group’s mother – almost like Wendy is to the Lost Boys – and be courageous in battle at the same time. This becomes quite apparent in chapter 5 (“Queen Mary’s Gifts”), but I’ll get to that when the time comes.
The **majority** of the book is the journey itself, and believe me, there are plenty of (adapted) parallels to the game to whet a MOTHER fan’s appetite. I seriously hope I haven’t soured you guys’ expectations.

The Great Morgil said on Mar. 31, 2011

Anybody else do a double take when he asked “if [it] hurt”? I had to read down a little to realize that it wasn’t what i thought it was.

Also, Why Lloyd and Ana? The game itself even pairs her up with Ninten during the scene on the mountain.

kenisu said on Mar. 31, 2011

It’s actually in the first two lines, *before* he asks her if it hurt: I made sure to leave in the part where Lloyd squeezes Ana’s hand, to explain why she holds her hand aloft when telling him he’s strong.

This whole bit with Lloyd and Ana is there to mess with the readers and make you think they’re going to end up together. In the words of Pokemon, though, “It’s not very effective…”

There’s plenty of other, less romance-y excerpts over on the link Mato provided, so please go check it out!

Anonymous said on Mar. 31, 2011

Hmm….. Okay…….. WTF?

NerdOmega said on Mar. 31, 2011

O_O FINALLY! The nerd in the group is NOT the third wheel in the relationship of the main boy and the main girl!!!!!

Anonymous said on Jun. 9, 2011

when he finishes it,is it going to be digital,like this,or on paper?

Mato said on Jun. 10, 2011

Don’t know. Don’t even know if he’s going to distribute it in full.

Find Merchandise!