MOTHER 2 Zippo Lighter Sold
March 6th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2
I’d kinda been putting it off since I thought it was pretty much impossible or at least WAY too much work, but in a few hours I managed to implement an auto-wrapping function into the Mother 1 battle text. Most games (especially old ones) tend to use pre-formatted text, always taking into account what the longest possible name is for something. Basically, it’s why text in most games goes something like:
That’s always been a pet peeve of mine – even some of the stuff I’ve translated professionally (that One Piece game for the Wii comes to mind) wastes text box space like crazy and just looks horrible, so I really wanted to fix that for this retranslation. I added the feature into the MOTHER 3 translation too, in fact, see here. Neat, that was three years ago to the week.
Anyway, it’s not finished yet, but here it is in action, as you can see, it wraps automatically and properly.
The problem with MOTHER 1 is that the text is displayed letter by letter as it reads through a string in ROM – it doesn’t pre-parse all the control codes into a nice string. I guess that’s to be expected from a low memory 8-bit game. For once, I wish they had coded just that one part the way they did in MOTHER 3 😛 As it is now, I have to copy the ROM string into RAM and pre-parse all the control codes manually. I still have about 8 more control codes to re-implement too, bleh.
Anyway, all that blah blah technical junk out of the way, there’s something I really need to decide on since the end is in sight – I need to figure out the naming/uncensoring stuff.
I touched on it here a little bit earlier, but the project seems to be trying to go into multiple directions. Basically, there are four possible forms this project can take:
- Translate the names using the names in EarthBound Zero, uncensor the graphics, text, etc.
- Translate the names using the names in EarthBound Zero, leave the graphics, text, etc. as-is
- Translate the names exactly as-is in MOTHER 1+2, uncensor the graphics, text, etc.
- Translate the names exactly as-is in MOTHER 1+2 and leave the graphics, etc. as-is too
Even when it gets down to the naming of stuff, it isn’t very clear across the board. Should he be called Giygas, to fit in with EarthBound? Or should he be called Gyiyg, as Itoi intended, considering that we also fixed Pokey’s name to use Itoi’s intended spelling for MOTHER 3?
Let me know what you think, I’m also hoping this little poll will help me finally get a clear idea of what the final patch should be. I don’t intend on releasing four different patches, just trying to maintain multiple versions of one patch is hard enough, which is why the MOTHER 3 v1.2 patch still isn’t out 😛
Other Related Posts:
123 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Mar. 6)
- Lvl.1 Chef: Thanks for the shout out! Jammy’s really doing some great stuff and I love that Pork Noodle cup haha. Makes me want to try doing...
- 4am: Cool, very cool. On another note, I wonder how Jeffman is doing with the translation of MOTHER 1+2 currently. I hope he decided to use the...
- PSI MOTHER: cómo me gustaría comer un ramen al estilo de Mother3 ;( bueno.. aunque creó qué es fácil de hacer ya qué mientras me hacía un bocadillo...
- PSI MOTHER: viva MOTHER
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...