Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #39

March 6th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2

I’d kinda been putting it off since I thought it was pretty much impossible or at least WAY too much work, but in a few hours I managed to implement an auto-wrapping function into the Mother 1 battle text. Most games (especially old ones) tend to use pre-formatted text, always taking into account what the longest possible name is for something. Basically, it’s why text in most games goes something like:

Slime
suddenly attacked
Bob!

That’s always been a pet peeve of mine – even some of the stuff I’ve translated professionally (that One Piece game for the Wii comes to mind) wastes text box space like crazy and just looks horrible, so I really wanted to fix that for this retranslation. I added the feature into the MOTHER 3 translation too, in fact, see here. Neat, that was three years ago to the week.

Anyway, it’s not finished yet, but here it is in action, as you can see, it wraps automatically and properly.

The problem with MOTHER 1 is that the text is displayed letter by letter as it reads through a string in ROM – it doesn’t pre-parse all the control codes into a nice string. I guess that’s to be expected from a low memory 8-bit game. For once, I wish they had coded just that one part the way they did in MOTHER 3 πŸ˜› As it is now, I have to copy the ROM string into RAM and pre-parse all the control codes manually. I still have about 8 more control codes to re-implement too, bleh.

Anyway, all that blah blah technical junk out of the way, there’s something I really need to decide on since the end is in sight – I need to figure out the naming/uncensoring stuff.

I touched on it here a little bit earlier, but the project seems to be trying to go into multiple directions. Basically, there are four possible forms this project can take:

1. Translate the names using the names in EarthBound Zero, uncensor the graphics, text, etc.
  2. Translate the names using the names in EarthBound Zero, leave the graphics, text, etc. as-is
  3. Translate the names exactly as-is in MOTHER 1+2, uncensor the graphics, text, etc.
  4. Translate the names exactly as-is in MOTHER 1+2 and leave the graphics, etc. as-is too

Even when it gets down to the naming of stuff, it isn’t very clear across the board. Should he be called Giygas, to fit in with EarthBound? Or should he be called Gyiyg, as Itoi intended, considering that we also fixed Pokey’s name to use Itoi’s intended spelling for MOTHER 3?

Let me know what you think, I’m also hoping this little poll will help me finally get a clear idea of what the final patch should be. I don’t intend on releasing four different patches, just trying to maintain multiple versions of one patch is hard enough, which is why the MOTHER 3 v1.2 patch still isn’t out πŸ˜›

POLL: Which patch would you most prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

123 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Mar. 6)

MG said on Mar. 6, 2011

I think you should use the EB0 names because they’re the ones I prefer, but that might just be because that’s what I played first and first impressions make a big imprint on me.

Anonymous said on Mar. 6, 2011

Gah I clicked the wrong button; I’d prefer the UNCENSORED graphics with Itoi’s intended names. Probably shouldn’t be doing polls when I wake up to get a glass of water

AssailantLF said on Mar. 6, 2011

I basically want to play the game with the near-exact experience the Japanese did, because they’re what seems to be the primary audience, and I would like the primary experience, if that makes any sense.

“Translated names use Itoi-intended names, uncensor graphics, text, etc.” Ftw!

Ross said on Mar. 6, 2011

Well, on one hand, this is a M1+2 translation, but on the other, if it was a M1+2 translation, it would also translate MOTHER 2 and leave things as-is. This is basically a glorified M1 translation. EB0 is in NO WAY a guide to how to execute this translation because it may be official, but had it not been dumped we wouldn’t know it existed. This means that now we are down to 2 choices: Itoi’s names w/ uncensored, or w/ censored. I chose uncensored, but I’m torn. You have to decide if you are doing a M1 translation or a M1+2 M1-half translation.

Mato said on Mar. 6, 2011

Personally, I see it as a half M1+2 translation – if I had the time I’d definitely work on the M2 part too. As it is, I plan to at least include a very basic menu-patch style translation for M2 with the M1 translation.

MarioFan3 said on Mar. 6, 2011

Sounds like for the sake of originality the Itoi-intended version of the translation seems to be most in favour (myself included in those votes)

As for the M2-half I think the translating is as far as Mato should go, personally I believe the hacking should be left for someone with too much free time on their hands anyway.

You’ve done so much for us Mato, perhaps it’s time we returned the favour… somehow.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 6, 2011

I think I’d prefer using the original Japanese names and uncensored graphics. Giygas’s name was already different in EB0 anyway, right? So it’s already kinda confusing…

As for Mother 2, I’ve said it before but I think Earthbound was a pretty good translation as-is. If anything someone might hack a few minor changes into the SNES Earthbound game but otherwise from what I’ve seen on this site about the differences between Mother 2 and Earthbound, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Mar. 6, 2011

Well if Mother is ever officially released stateside they would use giygas, so if our wildest dreams ever do come true it would just cause confusion down the road…

Tonch said on Mar. 6, 2011

As I’ve said before, I’m not fussed about the uncensoring. I don’t think it really takes anything away from the game, so I wouldn’t care if it’s left in.
It would fit the “American” image better as well, and be more like EarthBound ended up in that regard.

All I care about is the fact that the game will be less taxing/boring to play, and have a much better script.

Rhyselinn said on Mar. 6, 2011

Maybe do it on a case-by-case basis?. Personally, I like some of the EB0 things better than the M1 things (Holy Loly mountain vs. Mt. Itoi, for example) but some other parts, like Giygas’s name, might be better with the M1 names. I don’t know. As for the censored v uncensored graphics, it doesn’t matter much in my opinion (although I personally like the stained glass window in EB0 better than the cross…maybe that’s just me…)

KingDarian said on Mar. 6, 2011

If you’re going to go for it, why not uncensor all the graphics and keep the translation intact by choosing the original version’s naming scheme. If people want the alternative, there’s always the official, unreleased translation for NES.

Make this translation your own!

joeymartin64 said on Mar. 6, 2011

(The following is speculation and wishful thinking.)
It would be super awesome to have a full Mother 2 translation at some point, too, even if it’s just the SNES EarthBound script with “Giygas” and “Pokey” find/replaced with “Gyiyg” and “Porky” (and whatever bits you’d want to restore from the original M2 script; love that EB vs. M2 subsite, by the way). That way, western fans would have access to the whole Mother trilogy, free of villain-name-induced continuity snags and sequel-number weirdness, as all the games would be sporting their original titles.

Again, that was just speculation. I don’t think anybody “expects” anything more from you, Tomato, nor does anyone have the right to, considering your tireless dedication to this fandom throughout the years. You and your efforts are among the main reasons the EarthBound fan community has its good name. Bravo.

Stephen said on Mar. 6, 2011

I really would prefer having the game edited as: “3.Translate the names exactly as-is in MOTHER 1+2, uncensor the graphics, text, etc.

I feel like this translation may be my only chance to play this game in its original form so I definitely want to see everything as it was originally.

linkdude20002001 said on Mar. 6, 2011

The most important thing to me is for the original names to be left as-is. There’s no need to change things for the sake of nostalgia or simply because people are used to NoA’s name changes.

The original graphics would be preferred; I always liked the Peanuts references in the random characters. Also, the crosses and blood seem silly to have removed.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Mar. 6, 2011

As long as it can be done smoothly (and looking at your previous updates, I guess it can be), I think going with the original, uncensored graphics would be ideal. I’d also stick with the Japanese town names.

The question is what to do with Giegue. I don’t think anyone is really in favor of keeping his name as Giegue. I personally would want to see his name kept as Gyiyg in both this and a possible future translation of the Mother 2 portion, but I kind of think it might be “best” to go with Giygas.

Douglas said on Mar. 6, 2011

I’d like Giygas to still be named Giygas. The name Giygas is a localization, I don’t think it really goes against what itoi wished. It’s hard to pronounce ‘Gyiyg’
I would like the rest of the enemies to have their Mother1 names though.

Halloween said on Mar. 6, 2011

Yes! You’re making such great progress AND my choice is winning in the polls!
I would strongly prefer uncensored text and graphics as Itoi intended. I understand that it’s not the end of the world without them and that MOTHER is a great game regardless, but I feel that you can act as the Transparent Filter that we fans have never had. It’d be great to play the game as originally intended.
Now to prove I’m a hypocrite, be sure to leave my run function and easy ring intact!
But really, (this is probably just me) I’d probably play MOTHER even if it was an adventure game, just talking to the people without the random battles. I put a great emphasis on the story, which is why basically every improvement you’ve featured is a delight.

Eric said on Mar. 6, 2011

I’m all for leaving the original names, and pretending Earthbound Zero never happened. That was, after all, what this project was supposed to be about, isn’t it? That’s one reason I was so looking forward to this project. If I wanted to play EB0, I’d play EB0. I’d like to give Mother a try now. πŸ˜‰

Shy said on Mar. 6, 2011

Giygas sounds more sinister and appropriate. A majority of the players will already have the name in their minds from EB, and it’s not a wild difference, and saying Gyiyg is damn hard.

Mr.Saturn said on Mar. 6, 2011

Mato: I think you should do Giygas not Gyiyg because the only reason you did Porkey was because Pokey was a mistranslation of the name. Sorta like Donkey Kong.

Mato said on Mar. 6, 2011

We went with Porky mostly because we had finally gotten to see how Itoi had always wanted to spell it in English, we just hadn’t known until Mother 3 came around. The same sort of thing is here with M1, we see how Itoi meant to spell it in M2:

But people are really attached to the name Giygas, so it’s a tough decision.

resetsurvivor said on Mar. 6, 2011

Gyiyg > Giygas
Gyiyg is waaay scary sounding/looking.

Ross said on Mar. 6, 2011

Mato, as you said earlier: It’s a M1+2 half-translation. M2 is referencing him “striking back” and EB is acting like M1/EB0 never happened in those pics. Technically it even got the game’s name wrong (it says Earth Bound instead of EarthBound, which is the NES beta’s name) so I wouldn’t go with what EB uses. People were attached to Pokey, but you went with Porky anyway. At the same point, you put in pencils and erasers in M3… IDK which direction you want to go in, but either way we’re all very thankful to you. Just give us something we can play and we’ll be happy! πŸ™‚

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 6, 2011

My choice: Translated names use Itoi-intended names, uncensor graphics, text, etc.
My reason: Same as mentioned above. It’s M1+2, and you’re translating it. If people want the original EB0 stuff, they can play EB0, or use the RPGOne M1+2 patch.
My name choice: I say Gyiyg, because in the M2 title screen it says “Gyiyg Strikes Back!” and putting Giygas as Giegue’s name would make people wonder how Gyiyg is (if they played M2). Do you understand what I’m getting at here, Mato?

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 6, 2011

*What Gyiyg is, not how.

FireStar said on Mar. 6, 2011

Considering you’re doing a literal translation of the M2 side with no localization, it wouldn’t make sense to do it on the M1 side, would it?
Plus, you already used the EB names in your EB0 plus hack.
Alternately, you could please no one and change Giegue’s name to Googie.

Mato said on Mar. 6, 2011

I’m not planning on a literal translation of the M2 side – I haven’t even decided what to do with the M1 part πŸ˜› Right now the only plans I have for M2 is basic names/menu translation stuff.

Zaxtur said on Mar. 6, 2011

I prefer Giygas. I say make the names consistent with EarthBound whenever possible.

Zaxtur said on Mar. 6, 2011

@Mr.Saturn Donkey Kong was not a mistranslation of his name. The name Donkey was chosen to reflect the character’s stubbornness.

Miche said on Mar. 6, 2011

I suggest calling Giygas “Gyiyg” in both of your translations, to go with Itoi’s spelling of it as “Gyiyg” in the original intro to MOTHER 2 (you were intending on using the original intro with “Gyiyg Strikes Back!”, right?).

Qiezei said on Mar. 6, 2011

I prefer the Itoi-intended names and uncensored content. I have nothing against the EB0 changes, it would just be more interesting to see the content as it was originally, since we already saw the EB0 changes in the NES ROM. That way we’re able to experience both versions of the game.

linkdude20002001 said on Mar. 6, 2011

For those who say it’s hard to say, say Geeg. Okay, good. Now you’ve said Gyiyg.

Using Itoi’s intended names means using Gyiyg. Using Giygas out of nostalgia or attachment is lame. Why are people so afraid of change? If it’s not making something worse, why does it matter? As long as it’s not going against what the creator wanted, then why must people complain? Ugh… 😐

[…] Blog update here Permalink […]

Darien said on Mar. 6, 2011

I favour the EB0 names, as I’d rather have something that scans properly in English than some unmouthable mangle like Giyig. Not to mention that I’m concerned that people like myself — who liked Earthbound just fine, but aren’t so devoted to it that we know the Japanese text offhand — would get confused or not know what’s going on if the names are translated differently.

Anon said on Mar. 6, 2011

Best would be two patches or something like this, but, oh well, I think and I can understand that that is propably not what you want to do, Mato.

Starman Super Deluxe said on Mar. 6, 2011

I prefer the name Giygas, but that may just be because the first MOTHER game I played was Earthbound.

SpecLad said on Mar. 6, 2011

If you choose to go with Itoi names, then I’d prefer you use Gyiyg, since, well, that’s the original name. If you choose EB0 names, it would make sense to replace Giegue with Giygas for compatibility with EB1.

I hope that you choose the original names, so if someone later makes a patch for EB/M2/M2 portion of M1+2, we’ll have the complete trilogy with consistent naming.

Cranberry Tofu said on Mar. 6, 2011

I would greatly prefer the uncensored graphics. Any time I play a game and then find out later that it was censored in some way, I always feel like I’ve been shafted by the localization, and I’m missing out on something.

Either way is fine with the names, although I’m attached to Giygas.

Anon #413 said on Mar. 6, 2011

I think I’d prefer the Itoi-intended names. Except for the Hippie, I’d prefer that he was still a Hippie. And MAYBE some of the town names. But other than that, yeah, Itoi-intended.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 6, 2011

I think “hippie” is a pretty good translation, assuming that the Japanese are unfamiliar with that word and the “easy going guy” was their way of describing them, but then again I could be way off here.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 6, 2011

Oh, about the alien name. I kinda like the idea of an alien’s name being equally alien to human lips and difficult to pronounce. Gyiyg fits the bill nicely.

BlizzardMidbus said on Mar. 6, 2011

Mato, how hard would it be to give Speed and Fight different growth rates than Offense and Defense. I say this because if it’s not too hard, than you can give Ninten a slow growth rate in speed, and Ana a fast growth rate in speed.

Mato said on Mar. 6, 2011

It probably wouldn’t be too hard, but I don’t know why you’d want to include it since the Easy Ring already makes the game super simple.

BlizzardMidbus said on Mar. 6, 2011

>_< I don't want it to make the game easier. You could give Ninten a slow Speed growth rate like Ness and Lucas have. Same with Ana, you give give her a high speed like Paula and Kumatora have.

Random Guardian said on Mar. 6, 2011

Awesome work Mato! πŸ™‚ Anyways I think you should go with the original work all the way. I know I might have a hard time getting used to gyiyg over giygas but if its what the original use is then you can go with it. I think you should work with the american names personaly. If everything was the same it might make things easier down the road. Except for pokey/porky. That was the translation teams fault :p

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 6, 2011

Blizz I’m wondering why you were wanting that. I’m not sure I understand.

Random Guardian said on Mar. 6, 2011

Hate to double post but people have to remember that technicaly EB0 is not set in stone because it was never sold. Shure it was finished and intended to be sold but did we get a hold of a actual release? EB0 is up in arms! It does not and will not matter what gets in the script or gets changed. Just my thought πŸ˜‰

DBlue said on Mar. 6, 2011

Mato-
THANK YOU for the text wrapping! That must’ve taken so long to program in! That kind of text bugs me, too, when space is wasted so.
We all thank you.

Tansunn said on Mar. 6, 2011

I figure since we’ve already got the EB0 ROM with the name changes and censoring, having a new version uncensored with the original names would be the way to go.

TMMDI said on Mar. 6, 2011

Hey! What do you know the poll isn’t evenly divided like that other one. Surprising xD

LakituAl said on Mar. 6, 2011

Am I the only one who likes Giegue better than Gyiyg?

door said on Mar. 6, 2011

Itoi-intended names, uncensored graphics please! I’d like to play the game the way it was initially meant to be played. I know people have a soft spot for Earthbound Zero’s translation, but honestly this is a separate project and should be treated as such. It’s less complicated to get Earthbound Zero up and running on your DS/handheld of choice than it is Mother 1+2, so if you’re desperate for that translation, why not just play that one?

Mr. Anon said on Mar. 6, 2011

I don’t mean to undermine your work, Tomato, but why don’t you use the official translation (unless it isn’t compatible)?

Eric said on Mar. 6, 2011

Assuming you mean Earthbound Zero, it’s because the official translation was poorly done.

TalonKhan said on Mar. 7, 2011

Yep Uncensored Itoi Intended here to :3
Thank you for your hard work for the community Thank you I will always appreciate this :3

gwalms said on Mar. 7, 2011

That poll confused me at first, because the actual poll choices are in a different order than the numbered ones mentioned earlier in the post. :/
It would of been better if they were consistent with each other..
PS. I’m for 4. This should be a translation of M1 for the GBA, not some weird combination of things. If someone wants an earlier, uncensored version of M1 translated to English, then they can translate the original NES version.

Cranberry Tofu said on Mar. 7, 2011

Regardless of which text/names ultimately are used, will the game still have the updated ending? This was one change in EB0 that I felt was definitely an improvement, considering that the original version didn’t have any kind of resolution at the end (beat Gyiyg/Giegue, roll credits, game over).

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Mar. 7, 2011

The updated ending is already in the GBA version because the GBA version is based on the unreleased English prototype.

LongTimeMotherFan said on Mar. 7, 2011

I would go with all the original stuff Itoi intend. I would like to play Mother, not “EarthBound”. πŸ˜› …In regards to Gyiyg’s name, I think we should keep it just that, Gyiyg. I think it’s stupid to go with “Giygas” just because people are used to it. It’s like calling Sherbet, “Sherbert” because you’re used to it. Just because you’re used to it, doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Mother Bound said on Mar. 7, 2011

I would easily go with either Giyig or Giegue. Giygas just sounds stupid. But one thing that I won’t accept is calling The Hippie “Guy”. I will NEVER forgive you for that.

Lucas said on Mar. 7, 2011

I know you’ll just say no.. but please translate the Mother 2 part of the cartridge as well – then your work will be complete!!

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 7, 2011

@Lucas: Well, he’s planning on doing simple menu and item translations at the moment, but Jeffman may get around to doing it (I would love to do it, but I have no idea how), or Mato just may want to do it all of a sudden.

Carl said on Mar. 7, 2011

I agree with Lakitu Al; my favorite name for the main villain is “Giegue.” It maintains the pronunciation of the original (so it’s not just made up whole cloth, like “Giygas”) without looking as silly as “Gyiyg.” It’s also more clear in its pronunciation. There a plenty of issues with the EB “Zero” localization, but I think the original translators got this one just right.

Mrstaplez said on Mar. 7, 2011

I kinda dont mind any of the given names, its just, I’d like them all to be uniform. Like, if the names in Mother 1 are different than they are in Earthbound, would you consider releasing a patch to do changes to the EB rom, making it all match?

The Great Morgil said on Mar. 7, 2011

I voted for the new translation with M1 name, and uncensored graphics.

As for the big baddy himself, I prefer Gyiyg, but i wouldn’t be opposed to staying with Giygas. But didn’t you once say that it was impossible to change that “Gyiyg Strikes Back” screen in M2? Cuz it’d be weird to see that screen, and yet have him be called something else in-game. If that screen can be changed, however, then i guess it’s just down to what everyone else thinks. I’m thinking a second poll should be added to this thread for that.

Nami Johnson said on Mar. 7, 2011

I voted for everything to have the Itoi intended names and uncensored graphics, except that I never really liked Giygig. In my mind, he’s Giegue, because for whatever reason, that’s how I distinguish between his personality in M1 when compared to M2, even if they are the same being. But if you call him Giygas, I will not complain. I just don’t like Gyiyg. It doesn’t sound right to me.

Thanks for doing all that you’re doing! I am eagerly awaiting it! =D

Schlupi said on Mar. 7, 2011

I am glad to see this is still going, Mato. πŸ™‚

I am currently playing through EB0 for the first time on my Powerpak, and I have to say even though it is HARD I love it. πŸ˜›

I can’t wait for the patch here to be done. I have been wanting to play on the GBA for a LOOOOONG time.

I say it should have the Itoi-intended names, uncensored as well. We should have a pure, final, gba version of the classic in the end since we were deprived of it.

BlizzardMidbus said on Mar. 7, 2011

Let me elaborate on what I’m saying. Ninten has generally high stats across the board because Speed determines Defense and Fight determines Offense. What I want is that Offense and Defense have a seperate growth rate so that ninten can be given low speed like ness and lucas, and ana be given a high speed like paula and Kumatora. A good example of this is Dragon Quest 4. In the Nes version Speed determined Def. In the remakes, a stat was called Resillience was created to determine Defense.

Mato said on Mar. 7, 2011

I see, but that kind of lies outside the purpose of this project. I know people have analyzed the NES ROM to figure out the level up/stats tables, but I can’t find it on Data Crystal for some reason. In any case, that’d be the stuff to look for if you want to implement changes like that.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 7, 2011

I guess I just don’t get why you’d want to make Ninten slower. Is it a matter of making the game harder?

Data crystal? To google! Wow, I had no idea some kind souls had set about collecting data on all ROM hacking to date in one convenient place. Now you’ve got me fired up!

I actually checked your list of enemy name changes in Earthbound/Mother 2. I gotta agree that in a lot of cases, they did a good job of making something funnier. I came up with a few funny ideas for more accurate translations, and also noted the original translators came up with really funny and still very accurate translations themselves.

One thing though, the “hippie” being a “carefree guy”? I really want to know if you consider that an accurate translation or not, since you actually know the language. I personally think that’s a pretty accurate translation, since hippie more or less means exactly that, plus baggage that is perfectly captured by his appearence anyway. I am assuming that in Japan they really don’t have a word like “hippie” so that’s just what they had to call him, and hippie is actually more of a fix than anything else. However, I could be way off here. They might actually know of and use the word “hippie” and that was an intentional choice. Correct me in any case.

I still say Gyiyg sounds awkward and weird but that this is a good thing, since he’s an alien entity and all. It reminds me of “Gort” from “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (the original, not the remake which I haven’t seen), in that it’s just plain weird. Actually the starmen remind me of Gort too.

Starstormer said on Mar. 7, 2011

I’d like to keep the names as they are in EarthBound zero since I’ve gotten used to those in my playthroughs of the game. Even if you go with the names as itoi intended you’re still given an option to name your characters so I can name them how I want anyway. Either way I really like how the translation is going, it must have been hard work.

Mato said on Mar. 7, 2011

I don’t understand why people say Gyiyg sounds weird, it sounds like “Geeg”, which is exactly how Giegue is pronounced. Do you mean to say it “looks” weird instead?

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 7, 2011

Ah actually I never really knew how any of those versions of the name were pronounced. I had assumed Giegue was pronounced “GI-GU” for example. I had also thought that Gyiyg, being a really weird and alien name, was said in a weird and alien way, with hard y’s instead of “sometimes vowel” y’s. Giygas I thought was “guy-gus”…

Robo85 said on Mar. 7, 2011

I personally prefer how Gyiyg looks over Giegue or Giygas.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 7, 2011

I like Gyiyg, for two reasons.
1. It looks and sounds more alien-like.
2. It the only name you could put in there that wouldn’t confuse M2 players (because M2 title screen calls him “Gyiyg”, and calling him another name would confuse people.

linkdude20002001 said on Mar. 8, 2011

Giygas is probably pronounced GEE-gus since it comes from the Japanese name. Though, that weird little in-store ad for EarthBound had some guy pronounce it GUY-gus.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 8, 2011

Ah the hell with it, let’s just name him Fhqwhgads.

Prize to whoever gets that reference.

The Great Morgil said on Mar. 8, 2011

Well, according to google, it’s from that Homestarrunner thing which i do not watch.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 8, 2011

I hope you finish soon, Mato! It looks great, and I can’t wait to play it!

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 8, 2011

That’s surprising, considering Homestar humor is a lot like Earthbound humor.

Lucastello said on Mar. 8, 2011

I prefer giygas over gyiygs

Lucastello said on Mar. 8, 2011

Iam really hoping this comes out soon so i have something to play until mother 4 comes out sometime this or next year

The Great Morgil said on Mar. 8, 2011

There’s no ‘s’, it’s just Gyiyg.

DBlue said on Mar. 8, 2011

Could you keep whatever names are in both M1 and M2 consistent within your translation patch? Like, if you call him “Gyiyg” then keep it “Gyiyg” in M2 as well, and having both games contain “Trout Yogurt” or both games contain “Strawberry Tofu?”

Mato said on Mar. 8, 2011

Yeah, whatever I go with I plan to keep consistent across both games, all three if possible.

Mato said on Mar. 8, 2011

Alllmost done with the battle text wrapping stuff, finishing up the hardest part, which is the control code for displaying numbers. I got it working last night but didn’t have time to test it until just now.

Oops, the numbers get stored backwards when they’re converted into text format. Makes for interesting looking battles πŸ˜›

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 8, 2011

Great work, Mato! Though, you have Yddet Raeb backwards. It’s supposed to be “Raeb Yddet”, not “Yddet Raeb”.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 9, 2011

Heh, I read that name and figured out the anagram (a little slow, yeah). It does look odd since I read it backwards as an entire phrase, as “Bear Teddy” instead of “Teddy Bear”. Yeah, I think Raeb Yddet works a little better there.

tintinophile691 said on Mar. 9, 2011

I would like to point something out. Although the RPGOne patch *DID* keep the EB0 text, it uncensored the graphics.

So if you want the EB0 experience, you shouldn’t use the RPGOne patch.

tintinophile691 said on Mar. 9, 2011

And the name “Giygas” should definitely be used. It’s a more recognisable name in the general gaming population, like Porky as opposed to Pokey.

Tululia said on Mar. 9, 2011

I’m all for Gyiyg.

I once read an interview or a story somewhere that Itoi was dramatically pacing back and forth in his room dictating the script to his typist. He was trying to come up with the villain’s name and wanted it to be hard to pronounce, something that just felt vile to the tongue.
Although I now see that it’s pronounced GEEG, I really can’t read it any other way than GEE-IG, which sounds quite terrible and feels appropriate. I have no idea if any of the stories I read about that man are true, but being familiar with his work, I think they at least sound true.

Mother Bound said on Mar. 9, 2011

The patch is looking pretty good so far! As for names, you should stick with Giyig. It’s an alien, so it should have an alien name. And since we’re trying to make it consistent to the original Famicom game, Giygas wouldn’t work. Giygas still sounds lame to me.

iRock said on Mar. 9, 2011

In my opinion, you should use the localized names wherever you can (like for Giygas, the Hippie and so on), and I don’t count the EB0 ones because they aren’t official.

Floridian said on Mar. 9, 2011

Giygas seems easier to pronounce, though. How do you pronounce Gyiyg? Looks like G’ih-yig to me.
Pokey should become Porky, however. Are you able to make it as “Giygas strikes back”, Or would that be too much of a hassle?

BlizzardMidbus said on Mar. 9, 2011

Gyiyg is pronounced “Geeg”

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 9, 2011

As I’ve said earlier, in my opinion an alien name really should be hard to pronounce by humans. I like the name Giygas, but I also like Gyiyg.

I think Mato once explained that without access to the original source code, the title screen would be too difficult to hack, much like the title screen for Mother 3.

gwalms said on Mar. 9, 2011

This. “My advice, for what it’s worth, is to use the original, Itoi-intended names, and to, as you’ve floated a few times, ignore EarthBound Zero entirely. That said, I voted for keeping the censored graphics that were in M1+2, in keeping with the idea that the project regards this GBA game as its own animal, regardless of its origins, and the idea that if it was good enough for a Japanese re-release, it’s good enough for an English release.” QFT

Mato said on Mar. 9, 2011

Managed to find a half hour to finish up the control code stuff, so now the auto-wrap stuff is finished, hurray! It looks really nice in action, and means battle text doesn’t need to be pre-formatted anymore.

Since I was messing around with battles, I decided I’m gonna expand the enemy names even more and do some other quick internal hacks to automate more formatting stuff. Won’t have time for it for a day or two though.

Floridian said on Mar. 10, 2011

Guy-gass sounds tougher than Geeg to me. Sorry. But thanks for the pronunciation!

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 10, 2011

@Mato: By “expanding the enemy names even more”, do you mean expanding the character limit for them? Because that would be awesome! “Magisnail” doesn’t sound as good as “Magic Snail” IMO.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 10, 2011

Also, I have a question. This may have been brought up before, but it’s about leveling up. In M1+2, when you level up, it says

[STAT] went up #!
v
Would it be possible to change that to
[STAT] went up #!
[STAT] went up #!
v
And have two messages at the same time? I’m just curious.

Mato said on Mar. 10, 2011

I can increase enemy names by one or two letters if I expand the window for the names. I don’t think I called it Magisnail because of length reasons though.

I can change the stat thing easily, but to be honest I like it as it is.

Labrynian Rebel said on Mar. 10, 2011

Only one or two letters huh? So names like New Age Retro Hippie are still out of the question.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 10, 2011

You like it as it is, huh? OK, it’s your translation, Mato, you do what you want. I just hope you finish soon; I really want to play this! πŸ™‚

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 10, 2011

Well “new age retro” could be thought of as the new powered up version, since that was their name in the sequel translation rather than the original.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 10, 2011

Good point, DJ!

DrN said on Mar. 10, 2011

I can understand changing Pokey to Porky since it’s impossible to miss the puns involving his name in Mother 3, but is there any actual purpose or benefit to changing Giygas to Gyiyg?

That it was Itoi’s intention seems completely meaningless since not only can we only guess as to how much meaning was in his choices, but plenty of other things were changed in both Earthbound and Mother 3 instead of keeping it to a completely literal translation.

And there is a benefit to keeping it the same. It eliminates confusion when people who played Earthbound discuss the game with people who play the GBA Mother 2.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 10, 2011

I don’t think there’s going to be much confusion.

Mattiac said on Mar. 10, 2011

Translated names use Itoi-intended names, uncensor graphics, text, etcetera!

Mato said on Mar. 11, 2011

Got a bunch done from the to-do list this evening, the hacking is starting to wind down!

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 11, 2011

Great, Mato! All you have to do nwo is:
-Manually identify all of the above lines
-Fix various hospital text
-Polish script / Check text
-Test
-Create readme / web page/ extras

BTW, what did you mean by “Various hospital text needs attention” on the to-do list?

UFO said on Mar. 11, 2011

I vote for the uncensored graphics. The names don’t really bother me that much, but personally I prefer “Giygas” as the name.

Great work on the translation.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 11, 2011

For the name of “Giegue”, Mato, I seem to remember you saying that hacking the Mother 2 title screen to name the final boss something other than Gyiyg is basically impossible, so calling him something other than Gyiyg will confuse M2 players. You get my drift?

UFO said on Mar. 11, 2011

Yeah, I just get attached to calling him Giygas. Whatever name he winds up with is fine by me.

Sackboy said on Mar. 11, 2011

I want it re-translated with Itoi intended names and uncensored content. I also think you should name Giygas, Gyiyg anyway.
I know it may be hard to get used to the name “Gyiyg” for most of us people, but I want everything in the game to be the exact same way as Itoi intended in first place in the japanese original version of the Famicom&Super Famicom releases of them.
Also, I think we got used to the name “Giygas” because we read it in the Earthbound(US version) before we knew his name “Gyiyg” in Japan version(MOTHER2). Same goes for “Pokey” which I DO HOPE he’s named “Porky” or else new players may get confused with his name with the Mother 3 fan translation. :/
Plus, when you’re going to re-translate MOTHER2 you don’t need to worry about hacking the intro screen text saying “GYIYG STRIKES BACK!” πŸ˜›

Lucastello said on Mar. 11, 2011

I have mixed feelings about the uncensoring i wouldn’t mind any way the game still would be fun

Titanic Ant said on Mar. 11, 2011

I say uncencored all the way.

Also offtopic, but I hope Mr. Itoi is OK, what with the earthquake and tsunami in Japan today…

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 11, 2011

I heard that inland and western Japan are doing good right now, so it depends on where he was…

One thing’s for sure. If it wasn’t for their preparation in engineering, technology, and planning, this could have been a lot worse. The death toll so far is in the hundreds, but it could have been in the thousands. I also have read that a number of nuclear power plants were damaged and had to be shut down. Most of them have been shut down safely and without incident, but one in particular had 3 of it’s redundant safeties damaged and is running on the only redundant cooling system it has left. Apparently America is rushing in coolant to contain the situation, so they aren’t forced to vent gas in the event the last coolant system fails (either scenario one is better than a boiler explosion).

I certainly hope things turn out well for them, but in the end, the best is for those who can spare something to donate money to one of the many relief funds that have been set up.

Yeah, this is a thread hijack, sorry about that…

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 12, 2011

I just looked at the to-do list, and everything except for

Script polishing / text checking
Testing
Readme / web page / extras

is finished! So, basically, Mato is done with the Mother 1 part! Now all he has to do is some simple menu/item translations for Mother 2, which I have some suggestions, if he wants some πŸ˜‰

Eric said on Mar. 12, 2011

I kinda hope a 1.0 is released before the mother 2 patch starts :p

I’m glad to see the To-Do so empty πŸ˜€

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 12, 2011

Me too, Eric! πŸ™‚

M1 Fan said on Oct. 1, 2012

@Zaxtur
Yes it was, Monkey is Donkey with a M. The writers just messed up when they where translating the game.

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 16, 2012

No, Zaxtur is right. His name has always been Donkey Kong. it was never ever supposed to be Monkey Kong. And if Donkey Kong were a mistranslation, it would’ve been fixed by now.