Over the last few days, I managed to pretty much finish off the rest of the to-do hacking for the MOTHER 1 portion of MOTHER 1+2. I might still need to fix some bugs and maybe add an intro screen, but I’m hopefully done with hacking the game. Now I just need to polish the text up, do lots of testing, and package everything up nice and neat, possibly with some extra goodies like we did when we released the MOTHER 3 patch.
For people following the hacking, I finalized the auto-wrapping battle text, it works like a charm now, and battle text doesn’t look and sound so awkward anymore. While I was at it, I expanded enemy names even further, and added a space between enemy names and the suffix/counter letters if there’s more than one enemy (so you get “Starman A” instead of “StarmanA”). Here’s a comparison between the Japanese version and the latest English version:
(enemy names before & after)
While testing battle text, I noticed sometimes it would say something like, “Ninten used a Curse Words!” or “Ninten used a Orange Juice!” So I added a custom control code to use the right article, this was so much easier than with MOTHER 3 since I had already written my own battle text parser for the auto-wrapping. So that’ll make battle text a little nicer.
The last big hurdle is/was trying to locate all the text that needs to use the original size textbox (mostly hopsital/healer text) and then getting everything to work right:
I did a bunch of other stuff too, but I forgot to take pics so oh well.
Anyway, I need help with some stuff, so if you’re an EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1 fan with some spare time/super knowledge, this might be right up your alley.
There’s a lot of text in EB0/MOTHER 1, and by now I recognize most of it, but there are a few lines in the script I haven’t come across in the game (or have but just forgot about it). If you know where to find these lines in EarthBound Zero (and in what specific circumstances), let me know so I can check them out in my translation and fix them for context or what have you:
- @The chicks at the Canary Village have lovely voices.
- @”The crowd becomes restless and upset.’ @What in the world is that stone with a hat on!
- @Go ahead, poke your nose into other people’s @business. It’s what makes playing the game so fun.
- @Oops! It’s gone into orbit. @A success… @sort of.
- @Please come again to pick up the rest of the Goods.
- @Are you Ninten’s friend? @I see… But I can’t give you Ninten’s Goods.
- @Did that weakling Lloyd run away from you?
- @There is no one here by that description, but…
- @Where do you think you can find such a man!
- @Having a tough time? I’m so worried.
- @What a surprise! Our hero Ninten returning alone! @Won’t you stop and rest for a while?
- @Little girl! This is no place for a child like you.
- @It’s cash, then carry ’round here boy… @It’s not that I don’t trust you, but…
- @However… Nothing was there.
- @I’m busy, So I can’t help you right now. @You’ll have to come back later.
- @This game I heard of @was titled EARTH BOUND… @don’t know exactly why… @because it really doesn’t matter. @So if you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover… @Don’t judge a game by its title.
- @Did you come for your Goods? Here you go.
- @I’ve given you all the Goods. Please come again.
- @Is it all right to go back to the data SAVEd earlier?
- @You said Yes, but you don’t have it. Ah ha ha ha…
Some of the lines above sound like they might be used in a hospital or healer place, but I can’t actually find them when I play through the game. Also, the secretary in the Podunk/Mother’s Day city hall – does she ever change what she says?
With the final patch I also plan to include a partial translation for the stuff in MOTHER 2, I’ve started looking into it but haven’t gotten far yet. I estimate the final patch is still at least several weeks away if all goes well, but it’s getting close!
Other Related Posts:
125 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Mar. 12)
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues