March 1st, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Here’s a neat little graphical glitch you can get to happen in EarthBound if you’re into TAS stuff or if you’re super-duper-blooper lucky:

I’ve never seen this before, but mugg1991’s description for this video says this:

You can use this glitch similarly on normal entrances which will cause the delivery man / customer to not come anymore until he calls you.

I use this on a house you can’t enter and then start a fight in the last possible moment which causes a graphical bug.

This only works in the US version.

14 Comments to EarthBound House Glitch

shibaru said on Mar. 1, 2011

Lol that’s funny 😀

Random guardian said on Mar. 1, 2011

What a weird glitch. Strange how we still find new bugs on a game we play to death.

Miles Vialpando said on Mar. 1, 2011

Ness Dodges the Escargo Express Man!

KingDarian said on Mar. 2, 2011

I wonder what would happen if this was paired with use of the bicycle~ 😮

EBIsumaru said on Mar. 2, 2011

What exactly happened?

santiagoff said on Mar. 2, 2011

That was… weird o_o

TGP said on Mar. 2, 2011

@EBIsumaru: Ness basically dodged the express guy by getting into a battle. The door was necessary to unhalt the movement, I think.

blahmoomoo said on Mar. 2, 2011

I am going to make an educated guess as to what happened.

Ness knocked on the door at the same frame that the Escargo Express man’s theme started to play, which is normally when Ness’ movement is frozen. Opening the text box also freezes Ness’ position, but closing it frees you to move around again. So after closing the text box, Ness is able to move again. Then he moves towards the enemy and touches it the same frame (or just before the frame) that the Escargo Express man reaches his final position before talking to Ness.

The battle goes normally, but returning from the battle results in that temporary graphics glitch. I have no guess as to exactly why it happens, but it probably has to do with attempting to execute the code that handles the Escargo Express man’s dialog at an unexpected moment.

Floridian said on Mar. 3, 2011

16 years later, and we’re STILL finding cool new stuff in EarthBound!

EBIsumaru said on Mar. 3, 2011

Oh, I see now. I didn’t notice that the whole screen basically barfed after the battle. I blame YouTube and its GD buffering.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

Pichu said on Mar. 5, 2011

Glitches are the best thing do do once you’ve completed a game. Thats why pokemon blue will always be my favorite gb game.

UbaAndonuts said on Mar. 18, 2011

Methinx we’re a bit obesessive haha.

Getting a full sleeve color tattoo starting april 4th, Ness, Dr. and Mr. Saturn will be on my inner forearm soon!!!

Maybe I’m a bit obsessive…

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 31, 2012

The teddy bear can talk to escargo express men?