Random Post:

Custom EarthBound Box

March 7th, 2011 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

A long time ago, a bunch of EarthBound fan sleuths found some neat stuff on various international patent/trademark sites. Here are some trademark and logo things that I managed to dig up from the old forum threads:

MOTHER Logo

Here are some of the logos submitted to the Japanese trademark office, the one on the right was the one they used in the end.

You can see these here, you need to first click the “Japanese Trademark Database” link, then type “mother” into the search box and then hit the “SEARCH” button, then hit the “INDEX” button. It looks like there’s a revised trademark (and possibly logo) that was submitted in 2005 too. I didn’t do a thorough look, so maybe there’s more.

Earth Bound (NES) trademarks/titles

• NOA filed for the name “Mother”, which you can see here.
  • NOA also filed for the name “Space Bound”, which you can see here.
  • And then there’s NOA’s filing for the name “Earth Bound”, which you can see here.

You can find these on the USPTO site here. There might be even more stuff of interest, so check it out sometime!

There’s also more info about all this stuff in this old forum thread, but I don’t think I was able to salvage all the pics/info from there. I also seem to recall other logos being discovered, so if you happen to remember what I’m talking about or if you come across any more info, lemme know!

35 Comments to Earth Bound Trademarks and Logos

Miles of SmashWiki said on Mar. 7, 2011

Just think of what it would have been like if the localized it as “Space Bound”…

…that would have been weird.

Watercat8 said on Mar. 7, 2011

If NOA had decided to keep the name Mother, I don’t think they would have used the “this game stinks!” slogan and advertizements. Then maybe their would have bee more people who bought it! But maybe not. XD

~FireEmblem~ said on Mar. 7, 2011

I really like that ufo logo on the left, but in the end, I think the logo with the earth fits the series better.

Dlakii said on Mar. 7, 2011

Heehee, that alternate MOTHER logo’s quite cute, though I definitely prefer the “actual” one.

platinatina said on Mar. 7, 2011

I think I like the Earth motif over the space one, personally. The little UFO is pretty cute, though!

Nami Johnson said on Mar. 7, 2011

You can find the 2005 earthbound trademark here:

Although there is no revised logo. It’s just a simple font saying Earth Bound. It doesn’t even say that nintendo copyrighted it, so it may be something else entirely.

RandomGuardian said on Mar. 7, 2011

Ha! The one on the left is something I would expect NOA to use. It just looks to quirky for a deep game like mother even though mother is very quirky.

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 7, 2011

Kinda looks like a logo for Star Tropics, I like it. I like the earthy one too.

Poe said on Mar. 8, 2011

This makes me want to start some sort of contest where we come up with alt logos for the game :) I think it would be fun!

rotschleim said on Mar. 8, 2011

Hahaha, SpaceBound.

[...] Link Permalink [...]

PoPo said on Mar. 8, 2011
PoPo said on Mar. 8, 2011

^ Oops, I mean, the link to the Japanese patent office isn’t working.

blahmoomoo said on Mar. 8, 2011

For some reason a number is generated for that URL on the page that leads to the search page, perhaps to allow for tracking results. Without that number, it won’t work. Go to the following page and click the first link under the Trademark section to get to that search page with a generated number.

OddityCoyote said on Mar. 9, 2011

I like these original trademark logos so much that I used them for my phone’s backgrounds. I used the one with the lil’ ufo as my lock screen and the second for my home screen.

JFDP13 said on Mar. 10, 2011

I can’t see any logo. Link says:
“Unrecoverable system error has occurred.
Unable to Continue.[ET13002E]”

D:

Nami Johnson said on Mar. 10, 2011

@JFDP13 I think that the website doesn’t use url’s, so if I copied and pasted the link, it wouldn’t lead you to it. You can still access it by searching for Earth Bound. It is the only search result on the list. There isn’t really any logo. It’s just the same as other items in the trademark office that don’t have any designated logo. It’s written out in arial font.

UFO said on Mar. 11, 2011

I like the little UFO in front of the Mother logo. But to me, it makes more sense to have the earth one.

MoonSide said on Mar. 11, 2011

Hey, I know this is unrelated to this forum but, is Itoi-san safe from the earthquake?

MoonSide said on Mar. 11, 2011

I just heard confirmation that Itoi is safe.

Poe said on Mar. 12, 2011

Itoi, his office, and everyone who works there are safe. This post confirms as much: http://www.1101.com/cgi-bin/photolive.cgi?p=seisakuchu2007&dt=20110311213654

Vic said on Mar. 12, 2011

That’s a relief, we all pray for the japanese people safety

Neon Squid said on Mar. 12, 2011

I can’t read anything in that link >_>
What does it say?

TGP said on Mar. 12, 2011

He says that he’s thankful for everyone’s concern and that he’s confirmed that everyone that works in his office is safe.
That’s it, really…

@dog: What?

Neon Squid said on Mar. 12, 2011

Alright, thanks.

I hope that the nuclear reactor doesn’t blow up either. The Japanese are getting hit hard right now.

Some Guy from Onett said on Mar. 12, 2011

i saw on the news that the place where the reactor was on fire but the core wasn’t damadged so i think that it’s safe

Nimbus said on Mar. 30, 2011

Out of curiosity, how come NOA’s EarthBound trademark says it’s DEAD and was abandoned on July 13, 1992? Is it because it was planned for Mother 1 and they had to cancel/reapply for the trademark later when Mother 2 came out?

Poe said on Mar. 30, 2011

@Nimbus – note the space between “earth” and “bound” in that abandoned trademark. The game we all know and love does not have a space there. Tiny details like that make a big difference in the legal world.

The Earthbounder said on Jul. 17, 2011

Space Bound?

Were Not Talking ‘Bout The Eminem Song?

Watch The Music Video Here (Copy Into Adress Bar):

The Earthbounder said on Jul. 17, 2011

Forget The Copy Into Adress Bar Bit!

David said on Aug. 30, 2011

Space bound makes no sense, glad they chose EB over it.

Anonymous said on Aug. 30, 2011

I guess they thought of “SpaceBound” since you’re fighting aliens, but you never go to space. Then again, I don’t think you’re technically “EarthBound”, either, seeing as how you go Moonside, Magicant, and the Lost Underworld.

But all in all, the names make as much sense as “Mother” does.

Zoom! said on Aug. 30, 2011

Nice logo

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

I have a theory for why EarthBound is called that. Now, as everyone knows, the name EarthBound comes from Earth Bound, which is what Mother 1 was going to be localized as. but where did the team that worked on Mother 1′s localization get the idea from? Well, I think they decided Mother was too girly sounding of a title for a game, so they figured they’d change the title to something American gamers won’t be off put by. So they figured since the goal of the game iis to defeat an alien, they’d cal it Space Bound. But then, they realized you never actually go into space, so they changed it to Earth Bound, since they characters remain bound to the earth for the entirety of the game. Then, the project was cancelled, and they started to work on a Mother 2 localization. Then, for the English name of Mother 2, they used a slightly different title than the one they were going to give Mother 1, by simply removing the spacing between the Earth and the Bound, so that the name could be the same yet different as what they were gonna call its predecessor.

OKeijiDragon said on Aug. 26, 2013

Hey Mato, I just found this post and I wanted to make a few facts clear.

It wasn’t “a bunch of EarthBound fans,” it was me who started the thread, and pointed out most of these trademark oddities at Starmen.net. It was another forum-user by the name of Kevin who elaborated them later in the thread.

Just wanted these facts on the records (can’t believe its been seven years already!).

Find Merchandise!