March 31st, 2011 | Images, MOTHER 4

That magazine article in which Itoi and Iwata discuss MOTHER 4 came out today in Japan – I don’t live there so I can’t get ahold of a copy myself right now, but eagle0wl posted some pics on the Starmen.Net boards earlier. As the guy on Itoi’s site promised, there’s a lot of art with the article, which spans four pages.

The text is too tiny for me to read anything, though the big bold text says something like, “The feeling of, ‘I want MOTHER 4 to be released!’ is inside me too.”

If anyone in Japan can send me scans of the article, I’ll gladly translate it 😀 I won’t post the scans of the article though, I don’t want to hurt sales of the magazine issue in Japan. But I’d love to see what Itoi and Iwata have to say about the (non-)game!

Update: I got scans now, thanks to everyone who sent them in 😀 I just finished reading it, and most of it is actually just about stuff in general, the very end is where most of the MOTHER 4 stuff is. There isn’t really much said that we don’t already know – he basically says he isn’t going to make a fourth game, but he sees MOTHER 4 as a vague, nebulous name that can be applied to many things, such as the very lives of the fans. It’s Itoi – you know how weird he is.

It’s a long article and actually kinda meh, but I’ll try to translate it and have it up as soon as I can, hopefully today, maybe tomorrow.

33 Comments to A Peek at the MOTHER 4 Article

Linkzcap said on Mar. 31, 2011

Cool, Itoi and Iwata sprites!

NeonSquid said on Mar. 31, 2011

The mix of Earthbound and Mother 3 art is cool >__>

NeonSquid said on Mar. 31, 2011

BTW, Gamefaqs.com ‘s poll of the day for April Fools has Mother 4 as one of the choices. Go check it out <_<

Alex Chopelas said on Apr. 1, 2011

I bet he’s going to say that he wants to, but he’s too busy, or he doesn’t want to ruin the completeness of the first three. I really hope he says he’ll make more games though, he never said he wouldn’t. Either way, I’m VERY interested in hearing him talk for 4 pages about it. I’m all ears, I hope someone sends you scans.

Alex Chopelas said on Apr. 1, 2011

^Clarification: He never said he wouldn’t make any non-Mother games.

eagle0wl said on Apr. 1, 2011

I have scanned and uploaded in Appropriate thread. Someone please translate 😛

Grapefruits said on Apr. 1, 2011

This all sounds like some April Fools Day joke to-be.

Zeke said on Apr. 1, 2011

Where the Hell is the appropriate thread located? Lol.

eagle0wl said on Apr. 1, 2011

>Zeke
please check it out 😛
(A quick Shigesato Itoi update)

Kafei2006 said on Apr. 1, 2011

lol at the Iwata and Itoi sprites XD. That’s brilliant !

pranavmeno said on Apr. 1, 2011

I’m going to import the mag just for the artwork… Those are some seriously awesome sprites!

Mato said on Apr. 1, 2011

Updated the post very slightly with some more details.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 1, 2011

Ah… still no Mother 4, eh? Still, the fact that he talked about it with Iwata means that it’s on his mind. That’s good, I guess.

Psychomax said on Apr. 1, 2011

I always thought Mother 4 would have a multi-generational thing like Dragon Quest 5… I wonder if he mentions anything like that 😮

Anonymous said on Apr. 1, 2011

It looks like Nintendo really wants to keep MOTHER alive. All the series’s games will inevitably be rereleased one day; I wonder if all these Nintendo-Itoi interactions are partly them trying to nudge him into rereleasing the games sooner rather than later.

[…] like there's really not that much information concerning the not-happening Mother 4. Still, you can see more pics of the interview here […]

Crazykid said on Apr. 1, 2011

Happy April Fools Day, EarthBound Central!

LucasTizma said on Apr. 1, 2011

Aw, too bad. Hey, I’ll remain hopeful. Honestly, as long as MOTHER is somehow kept alive via new merchandise, remakes, compilations, major fan events, etc., then that’s good enough for me!

Thanks for the quick impressions, Matoman!

[…] anything more comes of this I’ll let you know, but for now you can keep an eye on the EarthBound 3 Itoi interview translator page for when it is updated with the actual interview […]

spammandeluxe said on Apr. 1, 2011

Hopefully that “i want mother 4” feeling emerges, he cant fight it forever

pranavmeno said on Apr. 1, 2011

Or, just maybe, the real April fools joke is the part where Itoi says M4 isn’t coming! Yay!

MoonSide said on Apr. 1, 2011

@pranavmeno
Oh man, I just wish that was true.

Titus said on Apr. 1, 2011

Yeah, I honestly can’t tell what kind of thing this could be with the whole “April Fools” thing as a possibility.

Rupleteaser said on Apr. 1, 2011

It’s nice to know however that they keep reminding him about the possibility. I’m sure Mother 4 wouldn’t be as hard as Mother 3 was, given the console change.

Mato said on Apr. 2, 2011

Didn’t have much time yesterday for this, so I’m only about halfway through. I’m hoping to have it done sometime this weekend, though, again, there really isn’t too much to the article, it’s kinda disappointing in that sense.

pranavmeno said on Apr. 2, 2011

@Rupleteaser

Not necessarily… Mother 2 was hell to develop, and it came out late in the SNES’s life. EB64… well, you know the story. Mother 3 was bad, too, and it was the last major title on the GBA in Japan. Even with all that experience beforehand making games for those consoles, these games were all problem ridden in development. The two options in terms of consoles now are the Wii (which is highly unlikely to be chosen; RPGs just don’t work on the Wii) and the 3DS. The 3DS is brand new; no one really knows how to make games for it. Console change isn’t going to help Mother 4 become a reality…

Frankly, in order to inspire Itoi, I think Nintendo should make something like MOTHER 3D. It could be a compilation of all three games, all rendered in 3D with combat refreshes (all three games will have the rolling HP meter, enemies on the field map, sound battles, etc). Given the amount of N64 games getting 3DS ports (Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64), I was thinking that maybe the big N could use the EB64 engine. With today’s modern tech, it wouldn’t be hard to complete, and the fans would finally be able to see what this cancelled game was to be… Besides, why let all the work done back then go to waste? 🙂

pranavmeno said on Apr. 2, 2011

If that became a reality, though, we’d have to seriously beg for an official localization. It would be WAY to hard to make a translation patch for three games, especially 3D ones. And we couldn’t import the game either; 3DS games have a region lock, so we’d have to import Japanese 3DSs just to play one title. I wonder if Starmen.Net’s game for another petition?

Zeta said on Apr. 2, 2011

I accidentally misread the title as Mother 4 released in Japan… T_T Now i’m a bit disappointed.

NekoKnight said on Apr. 2, 2011

@Pranavmeno:
You know, Nintendo is already working on these “3D Classics” for the 3DS. Games like Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi’s Island, etc. will be released with their original graphics – just in 3D. It’s possible we might see MOTHER titles, too.

I do think however, that if they could somehow rid Earthbound 64 of all it’s nasty bugs and finish it, it would make a great addition to the Wii Virtual Console. I doubt it will happen, but I hope it would. I guess Ness was supposed to be in the game, along with a whole lot of other content that never made it into the GBA version. Plus, it would be really nice to play a MOTHER game in full polygonal 3D. It’s just such a special series, so it deserves something really special…

TalonKhan said on Apr. 2, 2011

Gotta love the mother 3 style itoi sprite :3

pranavmeno said on Apr. 2, 2011

@NekoKnight

That would be awesome, but at the same time, it’s impossible. We’ll never live to see NOA sanction an ‘Earthbound 64’ in their VC lineup, because the VC is for games of yesteryear that had US releases. EB64 wasn’t even released in Japan…

If Nintendo wanted to do anything with it, you could count on it being a ‘go-to-the-store-and-purchase’ title. MOTHER, whether NOA likes it or not, is a major franchise, thanks to Ness and Lucas showing up in Smash Bros. Brawl, and Nintendo can’t just release a MOTHER game, be it new or a remake, as a downloadable. That would almost be insulting Itoi himself.

I agree. MOTHER deserves nothing but the best for being so awesome.

I don’t know why Nintendo is not cashing in on the crazy amount of money they could make by releasing a Earthbound game in the US now. Think about it… when Earthbound was released on the SNES…

1. RPGs weren’t mainstream in America yet. No FF7, Chrono Trigger, or Pokemon… YET.

2. Earthbound was so damn expensive!

3. ‘Who the hell is this Ness kid? I like Mario better.’

Then, after it Earthbound failed to sell…

1. ‘OMG! RPGs are so awesome! I just love Chrono Trigger and FF7 and Pokemon (Red and Blue, mind you)’

2. ‘Hey! I like this Ness kid in Super Smash Bros.! He kicks @$$!’

3. Games didn’t come out with Strategy Guides included, and thus became cheaper.

4. ‘Hey! Ness is back again in Melee! That’s PK Awesome!’

5. Emulation sees a huge boom, and suddenly your next door neighbor has played Earthbound!

6. ‘Wow! Ness is in Brawl too! Along with this kid named Lucas… he’s cool too, I guess…’

The EB fanbase has really grown in the last few years, and Smash Bros is the main reason. The RPG fanbase… I’d say that at least one in every 5 Americans is an RPG fan, or has played an RPG. What we need to get across to Nintendo is that NOW is the time to bring MOTHER back to the States. As a fan community, we need to band together and somehow let Nintendo see clearly what the advantages would be to making a move like that. I think this is partly the reason why the Starmen.Net petitions didn’t bring us anything; Sure, it showed off the impressive grit of the EB fanbase, but EB fans aren’t the ONLY ones who are going to buy a new MOTHER game. If Nintendo does it right, game reviewers will churn out pages of praise for the game, and more gamers will play it, recommend it to their friends, etc. In a few months, if all goes well, the game will be successful, and fans will want a sequel. If a sequel is released, and that too is executed well, what we’ll eventually have is an EVEN bigger EB fanbase, and a new series’s beginnings in the US.

That’s how Final Fantasy got its start, and look at how many people shelled out cash to buy the game I believe to be inferior to Earthbound named Final Fantasy XIII! It all comes down to Nintendo making a bold move and releasing a new MOTHER game.

Wow, what a long post…

This gai, really? said on Jan. 13, 2013

I also truly have the feeling of “I want MOTHER 4 to be released!” inside me, too.