February 22nd, 2011 | Smash Bros., Videos

Apparently there are a number of unused sound clips in the original Super Smash Bros. game for the N64 – one of which is Ness saying, “PK Starstorm!” You can supposedly hear it via a debug menu, here’s a video:

I guess they had planned for Ness to have Starstorm abilities from the very start but only got around to adding it in Brawl? Any Smash Bros. superfans got any more info on this?

39 Comments to PK Starstorm in Smash Bros. 64

loppy said on Feb. 22, 2011

well I did read somewhere that Final Smashes were planned from the start.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Feb. 22, 2011

Yes, Sakurai (the SSB director) said that they had recorded voice clips for some Final Smashes all the way back in the first SSB. Captain Falcon has one for his Blue Falcon summon.

I can’t remember if they actually planned to have super attacks back then or if they just recorded the voice clips for whatever reason, but that’s the story.

Umbreonic said on Feb. 22, 2011

“It was revealed in an interview with Nintendo’s president, Satoru Iwata, that Masahiro Sakurai had intended for Final Smashes to be included in the original Super Smash Bros., and claims that he has proof, in that there were recorded voices for when characters used their Final Smash. The idea, however, was held off until Brawl. ”

I remember seeing the interview before

Ly the Thran said on Feb. 22, 2011

That’s neat.

MG said on Feb. 23, 2011

It sounds to me like the clip is cut off at both ends. All I hear is “Kay staunss!”

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 23, 2011

That’s just the audio skipping ’cause of the computer running the emulator.

Linkzcap said on Feb. 23, 2011

But Ness never learns PK Starstorm anyways…

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Nor does he learn PK Fire or PK Thunder. PSI Shield and PK Flash are the only two (of the PSI abilities he uses in Smash Brothers) he knows.

Tonch said on Feb. 23, 2011

I dunno if it’s the clip that’s wonky or what, but it sounds like he could be just saying “PK Storm”.

But yeah, Sakurai said they had the idea for the Final Smash from the beginning but never used them until Brawl. I believe he said something like they could even use some of the old clips without re-recording them.

@Linkzcap: They address that on his trophy in Smash Bros. by claiming Poo taught him. Of course, within EarthBound’s universe that’s probably impossible, but I don’t really see why they needed an excuse to throw in a relevant attack from the game. Most of Ness’s PK moves in Smash Bros. are already ones he can’t learn, and same with Lucas. Doesn’t really matter anyway.

Tonch said on Feb. 23, 2011

@linkdude20002001:
Actually it’s PSI Magnet, not Shield. Which Ness doesn’t learn in EB either.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Oh, silly me. And you’re right. I meant PSI Magnet. ^.^’

Kafei2006 said on Feb. 23, 2011

The quality of the sound is a bit off (which I suspect is due to the video being recorded off an emulator). It would be interesting to know what region version they use and what the codes are to try it on the actual hardware.

Kafei2006 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Meh I didn’t watch the beginning of the video, it IS off an emulator :P

LordKarnov42 said on Feb. 23, 2011

The audio quality was terrible so I recorded one.

Mato said on Feb. 23, 2011

Thanks, that’s a lot better :D

Random guardian said on Feb. 23, 2011

This is really old news but ok :p

[...] Direct link here [...]

Hyperstar96 said on Feb. 23, 2011

You have GOT to be kidding me. I found out about this on my own just a few days ago, and now it shows up here! Whoa…

Mato said on Feb. 23, 2011

I hacked your brain the other day. YOU WILL SEND ME BURRITOS END COMMAND

SuperBlooper057 said on Feb. 23, 2011

P.K. Stastom!

no name given said on Feb. 23, 2011

The original charaters the programmers wanted to have in the game but were cut were lucas, bowser, pit, mewtwo, king dedede,and peach.(I think)

Ross said on Feb. 23, 2011

Epic! Can someone post DeDeDe or Bowser? They’re favorites of mine! :) I wish Kirby did, too…

TGP said on Feb. 23, 2011

I doubt Lucas would be in Super Smash Bros. 64 if his game wasn’t even released yet.

Kafei2006 said on Feb. 23, 2011

@TGP But Mother 3 for N64 WAS under development at HAL Laboratory at the same time as Super Smash Bros. for N64 though… And Lucas was already planned to be in there, so who’s to say that he wasn’t coded into the game at some point ?

Kafei2006 said on Feb. 23, 2011

I meant Lucas was planned to be in Mother 3 on N64 (my original sentence could have been misinterpreted)

Mother Bound said on Feb. 23, 2011

While on the subject of Lucas, I read that he was originally going to replace Ness in Smash Bros. Melee, but was scrapped when EarthBound 64 was cancelled.

Starman 99 said on Feb. 24, 2011

But wasn’t EB64 canceled after the release of SSB? I don’t see Lucas being written in there unless they had really solid plans for M3 at the time.

Mother Bound said on Feb. 24, 2011

No, Smash Bros. MELEE, you know, for the GameCube.

Starstormer said on Feb. 24, 2011

Funny thing is that every character was supposed to have a final smash in Super Smash bros 64, Umbreonic already said that though and gave a link so this isn’t anything new. I’ve never seen a video of this I’ve only read the article. It would’ve been cool to see final smashes in SSB64.

TBird said on Feb. 25, 2011

Lucas would have looked quite different if they used the N64 design.

Fortenium said on Feb. 25, 2011

This was discovered in 2008. Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai have confirmed that, indeed, a system for Final Smashes was in place, and this is proof.

There are more than Ness. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_sVXdjakqU

ILDC said on Feb. 28, 2011

OH NOS SAKURAI WAS ALWAYS LAZY LOL

BigDream said on Jul. 9, 2011

The N64 was gonna have the smash ball in there, but due to the limitations it was removed from the game. If someone can give me the cheats on how to get this menu on the ROM that would be great!

Zoom! said on Jul. 9, 2011

BigDream,go to the Cutting Room Floor,a wiki-like database of all that is unused in video games. They have info on the debug menu,with codes.

BigDream said on Aug. 17, 2011

Zoom!
Sorry 4 being late.
THANX!!

Spidey501 said on Jul. 30, 2012

@Mato Well Sakurai himself said in an interview that he planned to have Final Smashes in the original SSB but got scrapped and put into brawl, so this is proof. But tbh Ness sounds really annoying saying that here compared to in Brawl.

Just Call Me Daddy! said on Feb. 24, 2013

Lucas was going to be in melee and so was snake but the game was almost finished when they thought of that so it didnt happen

joe said on Dec. 9, 2013

PEEKAY STAGHSTAWMN!

mother_fan101 said on Jan. 3, 2014

originally ness could learn all of the moves he gets in melee and brawl, except PK starstorm, none of ness’s moves were PK in the beggining anyway, just some of his enemies, like how some of nintens enemies in mother(earthbound zero) could use PK beam, which is reflected using the awesome franklin badge, also ness could only use PSI fire, Psi lighting and Psi flash, and also whatever your favorite thing is is(lets just say starstorm) would give you the ability Psi starstorm, so ness really could learn it, although it technically wouldn’t be the same as in SSBB, Psi starstorm was possible in mother 2(earthbound). thats just proof.