EarthBound Funktastic Gameplay!
Disclaimer: this is not a beta patch of the translation, it’s for testing some of the other features that will be included in the final translation.
I’ve posted about it before, but my translation of MOTHER 1 in MOTHER 1+2 will feature an item called an “Easy Ring”, which greatly increases the money and experience you gain from enemies while also decreasing the amount of random battles. Until now, I had stuck the item inside a gift box in Ninten’s basement, but that meant you couldn’t get the original item inside. So I decided to add an entirely new gift box into Ninten’s room (where the game starts).
It took me many days, but I finally managed to get a gift box in there and get it to work. The problem is that I had to do a lot of data reshuffling, which is ripe for producing bugs and glitches. I think I’ve taken care of most of them, but it’ll help a lot if fellow fans could thoroughly play through the entire game with these changes to see if anything’s been broken or messed up. So I made a small IPS patch.
Besides the Easy Ring stuff, this patch includes a few other things:
- Uncensored graphics – I’m hoping people can also look for any graphics or other stuff I might’ve missed
- Some graphical changes – like the ATM sprite and some of the startup graphical text
- The enemy battle sound/player battle sound bug has been fixed
If you have time to play through the game to see if any issues have popped up, you can download the test patch here. Again, it doesn’t translate the game’s text. You can probably apply the patch to an existing M1+2 translation, but it’s probably safest not to, since that might introduce other bugs. It’ll also help me a LOT more if you use the game’s built-in saving/loading functions rather than emulator save states.
If anyone can help out, I’ll add you to the readme file for the final translation patch and give you a custom user sprite here if you have an EB Central account. Your custom user sprites need to be 32×32 exactly.
Also, let me know if the Easy Ring makes things TOO easy or if it needs to be less easy. The algorithm hasn’t changed since last time, but it never hurts to get more user feedback 😀
EDIT: Oh yeah, here’s something I got while doing some early work on this a few days ago:
That’d make a great enemy!
Other Related Posts:
119 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Test Patch #2
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*
- Leeaux: This is cool. Man it must have taken forever for him to do all these though. Geez! Bless you Tomato! This is all I have while I wait on...
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...