February 12th, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

I’m working my way through the rest of the Mother 1 retranslation to-do list, and right now I’m turning the “Which game will you play?” text on the main selection screen into English. There are actually two types that are used, the normal font one and then I guess at some point when you play enough of the MOTHER 2 version it’ll switch to the Mr. Saturn font. I’m guessing it happens if you get up to Saturn Valley, but I never bothered to find out.

Anyway, here’s what I got right now:

I’m terrible at image editing though, so I was hoping some people here might be able to help make better ones. At the very least I’m sure they need centering, but I don’t know how to accurately do that with any of the image software I have. The images to edit are here:

The image dimensions and the colors used need to stay the same as in those files. The Japanese text literally says, “Play which game?” but any variation in English that sounds good and doesn’t leave too much empty space will do just fine too. If anyone can help out, I’ll include you in the readme credits!

Also, this recent string of updates has me wondering – should I move all these MOTHER 1+2 translation updates to a new site so they don’t clog up/push down all the other updates? Or is it not a bother?

25 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Selection Screen

Ross said on Feb. 12, 2011

Amazing! Too bad I suck at Photoshop… Mother1+2.fobby.net that’d be epic! Maybe shorten it to “Choose a game!” [plays Charles Martinet clip](Mario Advance reference), Which?, Choose., or something like that?

climhazard said on Feb. 13, 2011

I’m editing the images right now – Would you like the black boxes to be the same size?

And I like the idea of separate site as well!

climhazard said on Feb. 13, 2011

On second thought, they should be consistent, so I’m making them the same size. Enjoy. 🙂

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2011

Actually, the BMP files I linked to are the files that need to be edited. They need to stay the same dimensions they are too, due to internal mumboy-jumboy stuff.

Acedio said on Feb. 13, 2011

I say just keep the updates here since it’s easier, but eventually there should probably be a patch release site ala Mother 3.

climhazard said on Feb. 13, 2011

My mistake, looks like I was just jumping the gun!

climhazard said on Feb. 13, 2011

Clearly I never get these instruction right. Let me adjust the colors back. (Forgive me for the massive amount of comments.)

Halloween said on Feb. 13, 2011

Whatever is easiest for you- Mother 1+2 translation updates definitely don’t get in the way for me, and I’d just follow the other site too.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

^ Same here. My suggestions for the text are: “Choose the game to play.” or “Which do you want to play?”

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

“Which do you want to play” in Saturn font would be “Which to play?” or “Which game?” .

sci said on Feb. 13, 2011

“should I move all these MOTHER 1+2 translation updates to a new site” –> So far, it’s been an about even blend of Mother1+2 development and other stuff. As long as it says that way, I think it’s fine.

But if you do move all the dev stuff to a different blog, I’d like to hear extra technical details. 😉

Mumphadumf said on Feb. 13, 2011

I think it should say “Which game will you play?”

Shyamalan said on Feb. 13, 2011

I think the Saturn text should say “You play which?” It sounds like a more Saturn-y sentence.

Skye said on Feb. 13, 2011

I’d leave the updates here, I see no reason to make yet another website for it.

Another way to approach the text:

“Select your game”

mntorankusu said on Feb. 13, 2011

If you’re not planning on hacking and translating the Mother 2 portion for the time being, wouldn’t it be better to just skip the game select screen and have it start directly to Mother?

It kind of spoils the aesthetic a little if the menu is still there, but one of the two options is incomplete. But it’s not a big deal, obviously.

8BitWalugi said on Feb. 13, 2011

I’d say another site would be good. A proper mother12.fobby.net like what Mother 2 had would be cool. At the moment, mother12.fobby.net re-directs you to just fobby.net.

Lothis said on Feb. 13, 2011

Just a suggestion, but it might be a nice touch to add a Saturn catchphrase, like Ding or Zoom, to the Saturn font version.

Onion said on Feb. 13, 2011

Which game?

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2011

Does “Which to play?” in the Saturn font fit within that space? The Japanese one does have a slight Mr. Saturn-style talking to it, nothing over-the-top, so “Which to play?” does sound good.

mntorakusu: I’d prefer to keep the Mother 2 part open because there exist (and probably will exist) patches to partially translate the Mother 2 part. I’m also considering adding basic menu patch-style translations to the Mother 2 part.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

@Mato: Yay, my suggestion got used! 😀
Anyway, for translating the M2 part, you’re just going to use the capital letters, like other translations, right? If not, you’d have to hack in a font like you did in Mother 3, and I don’t think you’d want to do that.

gBev said on Feb. 13, 2011

Being that there aren’t many other updates being put out, switching to a new blog would probably just cause a loss of traffic. Staying here seems fine.

Triverske said on Feb. 13, 2011

I made 2 versions, they’re both centered correctly.

Evan said on Feb. 14, 2011

I think leaving the M 1+2 updates on EarthBound Central is just fine; it’s a nice addition to my morning routine. :3

Mother Bound said on Feb. 15, 2011

I’ve made it so they use your text, have them centered, and have cleaner fonts:

RadicOmega said on Jan. 1, 2012

@TheZunar123, There was lower case font in MOTHER 3 though, wasn’t there?