EarthBound Completed in 9 Minutes
February 12th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2
Update: the patch is now out! See here!
A couple people have been asking me to update the to-do list for the retranslation project, so a little while back I played through the game with battles off to speed through it and see what still needs attention. Then I compiled a list. I’ve already taken care of a few of the items already, but here’s everything I came up with. I’ll update this list/cross stuff out from time to time as stuff gets done. The hardest stuff will be related to the main text, expanding the text box to the full screen causes problems in a lot of situations and it won’t be fun to go in and try to fix those issues.
M1+2 select menu normal graphical text M1+2 select menu Mr. Saturn graphical text Make special text inserter process spaces properly Fix Halloween hotel stairs glitch Change game font, add characters for other languages If experience gets to 6 digits, status window gets messed up XX stone is missing some graphics/animation for some reason Cross in church during ending needs fixing (also outside church?) Some ending gfx needs changing to match uncensored versions Fix some of the credits gfx text Fix weird stone graphics glitch before final boss Separate uncensored project files from main project files, will be used to make a separate patch Locate and translate strings stored in nonstandard locations Undo weird internal character lookup table to make new international font characters easier to handle
Naming screen hacking/rearranging Naming screen text Intro hacking Intro text
“-tachi”/”and company” hacking/text Make it so some lines use the original size textbox Manually identify all of the above lines When someone is healed, don’t update their names Continue/end cursor positions need changing Refresh/soften cursor positions Medicine/sleep cursor positions Fix ATM input Various hospital text needs attention Extend shop menu item window Some lines are strange and need an extra button push afterward Drinking capsules? Should that be “swallowing” instead? Player naming screens Fix up ending text Make text inserter use smart quotes
Expand enemy name window in battle one column Auto line wrap? Text speed sub-menu Lifeup pi or whatever needs fixing Format final battle text Expand enemy names Add space before suffix letters (Snake A, Snake B, etc.) Make non-auto-indenting work only for battle text
Windows to Decompress and Repoint
Command menu Teleport menu Status menu Battle menu “Who?” box
Script polishing / text checking Testing Readme / web page / extras
- Sell poisoned milk to schoolchildren
Other Related Posts:
70 Comments to MOTHER 1 Translation To-Do
- Mike: Also, I have to post once more to say: The cover texture effect is incredible and so Earthboundy. So many details like that make this utterly...
- Mike: I just received my copy this week, and it is amazing. The fact that you didn’t just throw a bunch of Earthbound localization facts, but...
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!