February 12th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2

Update: the patch is now out! See here!

A couple people have been asking me to update the to-do list for the retranslation project, so a little while back I played through the game with battles off to speed through it and see what still needs attention. Then I compiled a list. I’ve already taken care of a few of the items already, but here’s everything I came up with. I’ll update this list/cross stuff out from time to time as stuff gets done. The hardest stuff will be related to the main text, expanding the text box to the full screen causes problems in a lot of situations and it won’t be fun to go in and try to fix those issues.

Misc. Stuff

• M1+2 select menu normal graphical text
  • M1+2 select menu Mr. Saturn graphical text
  • Make special text inserter process spaces properly
  • Fix Halloween hotel stairs glitch
  • Change game font, add characters for other languages
  • If experience gets to 6 digits, status window gets messed up
  • XX stone is missing some graphics/animation for some reason
  • Cross in church during ending needs fixing (also outside church?)
  • Some ending gfx needs changing to match uncensored versions
  • Fix some of the credits gfx text
  • Fix weird stone graphics glitch before final boss
  • Separate uncensored project files from main project files, will be used to make a separate patch
  • Locate and translate strings stored in nonstandard locations
  • Undo weird internal character lookup table to make new international font characters easier to handle

Intro Stuff

• Naming screen hacking/rearranging
  • Naming screen text
  • Intro hacking
  • Intro text

Outside Stuff

• “-tachi”/”and company” hacking/text
  • Make it so some lines use the original size textbox
  • Manually identify all of the above lines
  • When someone is healed, don’t update their names
  • Continue/end cursor positions need changing
  • Refresh/soften cursor positions
  • Medicine/sleep cursor positions
  • Fix ATM input
  • Various hospital text needs attention
  • Extend shop menu item window
  • Some lines are strange and need an extra button push afterward
  • Drinking capsules? Should that be “swallowing” instead?
  • Player naming screens
  • Fix up ending text
  • Make text inserter use smart quotes

Battle Stuff

• Expand enemy name window in battle one column
  • Auto line wrap?
  • Text speed sub-menu
  • Lifeup pi or whatever needs fixing
  • Format final battle text
  • Expand enemy names
  • Add space before suffix letters (Snake A, Snake B, etc.)
  • Make non-auto-indenting work only for battle text

Windows to Decompress and Repoint

• Command menu
  • Teleport menu
  • Status menu
  • Battle menu
  • “Who?” box

Final Stuff

• Script polishing / text checking
  • Testing
  • Readme / web page / extras
  • Sell poisoned milk to schoolchildren

70 Comments to MOTHER 1 Translation To-Do

Skye said on Feb. 12, 2011

Can’t wait to play it 😀 keep up the good work, Mato!

EarthBound015 said on Feb. 12, 2011

You sir, are amazing and I thank you for everything you’ve done for the EarthBound community. Keep doing whatcha do!

Ross said on Feb. 12, 2011

Wow… that’s… just wow… That’s a TON! Thank you so much for doing all of this amazing miracle-work!

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 12, 2011

Good luck on this epic quest of epic proportions Mato!

Violentos said on Feb. 12, 2011

I was just wondering, and believe me, not trying to be rude here as I’m sure there is a legitimate reason, but what is the benefit in translating Mother 1+2? I only ask because we already have officially translated versions of both.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 12, 2011

Mother 1’s translation is simply bad enough that it warrants a re-translation. Something that feels more like Mother would be preferred, yeah? 🙂

SamWibatt said on Feb. 12, 2011

Terrific work! Thanks for all your effort.

Mato said on Feb. 12, 2011

Violentos: There’s info about it here, though that page still needs some updating.

liarxagerate said on Feb. 12, 2011

I know I’ve said this a million times, but I hope you consider sticking to the official title and (especially) the officially localized place-names. There’s no reason to fragment the EB0 community like that would inevitably do, and I don’t want to have to deal with subs-or-die pedants who don’t know a localization when they see it.

TMMDI said on Feb. 12, 2011

Thanks for all the hard work Mato! 🙂

Ross said on Feb. 12, 2011

@liarxagerate: he already said he was going with Itoi’s intentions.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 12, 2011

Awesome work, Mato! I’m looking forward to the finalized trans., and I’m sure a lot of other people are too! 🙂 Hopefully you’ll finish soon so we can play it! If you need any suggestions for stuff, I’ll give some. Like here’s a suggestion:
My suggestion for the expanded text box problem (when healing and such)- When the status is displayed so you can see the HP, either you can have the text box disappear, or have it compress down to where it is in EB0.

MoonSide said on Feb. 12, 2011

Mato, you do such an amazing service for this community. Thank you!

Random guardian said on Feb. 12, 2011

Hey mato don’t stress yourself on this project! We don’t want another mother 3 in the making here :p

P.S. I am shure capsules were “drunk” in earthbound (zero and snes) not swallowed. Yeah I always found that as weird.

Mato said on Feb. 12, 2011

Well the Japanese word used for drink and swallow is the same, that’s probably why it happens.

As for town names, I’m honestly still on the fence about it. But it seems like whatever I do I won’t make everyone happy. The tools I’m using are going to be simple enough for regular folks to use (basically just edit some text files then run the program), so if anyone wants to make changes or do their own translations, they’ll be able to easily.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 12, 2011

Awesome, Mato! That means if we don’t like some stuff, we can change it to the way we like! 🙂 Personally, I like the EB0 names better, since I’m used to them. On the subject of the town names, can you make it where if we change the town names, can we change the names in the map, please?

Mato said on Feb. 12, 2011

The map (there’s only one) is stored as an image, not as text, so you’d need to manually edit the graphics in the ROM yourself.

Ross said on Feb. 12, 2011

I’d say that it’s less work for you not to change it, so don’t! Then you have no messy graphics to worry about since they’re in Romaji.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

@Mato: How would you go about doing that? Could you make something to let us do that, please? 🙂

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 13, 2011

I just thought something, are the names of the towns going to be the american ones, or the ones like Mother’s day, or Halloween?
(Please be the latter…)

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

The original holiday ones, though I think Mato is going to igve us a file or something that can change the names, if we wanted to.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

*give

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 13, 2011

I’d say “oral capsule” if you really wanted to get technical. Anyway, “drinking capsule” makes more sense to me than “swallowing capsule” because I always do take those things with a glass of water.

I’m curious on something. I remember reading about some cave or another being a lot more complicated in the Japanese version than in the unreleased translation as well as the GBA version. One, is that true and which cave? Two, were you considering reverting it to the “hard” original cave layout to go along with the censorship reversions?

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2011

Oh, the problem is the verb usage, I didn’t explain it in detail so that’s probably the confusion. Basically when you go to use a capsule item, it says something like, “Ninten drank the capsule!” which is odd.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the harder dungeon you’re thinking of is the Magicant caves. I think you have it the other way around – I’m pretty sure they made the EB0 version harder than the original.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 13, 2011

Actually, Mato, DJ’s right. The Famicom Mother 1 had harder dungeons. They were edited to be easier in EB0 and M1+2.

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2011

You’re probably right, I’m trying to find details on it, though. Came across this interesting site at least: http://mother.nonkimono.com/1/

All I can find on English and Japanese sites is that the last room in the Magicant caves is laid out differently and that it’s easier to overlook the dragon.

Frank said on Feb. 13, 2011

Interesting Mato, i know this would be a reach to ask but could you please post the differences between the two dungeons with pictures, because i did not really know about this fact until now. I would love to see the differences in map layout.

Evan said on Feb. 14, 2011

Oh, wow. Just when I start complaining about how much stuff I have to do in life, I see this list. Mato, you’re amazing. I really can’t thank you enough for everything you do for the community.

Rocky said on Feb. 14, 2011

Hey mato I got two questions,
1. Can you link us to those programs for editing the game.
2. Do those work on Mother 3, if not, can you link us to the ones that do?

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2011

1. The programs aren’t ready yet, if they were the translation would already be out 😛
2. No, Mother 3 is a completely different game. There’s only a Mother 3 enemy stat editor and a Mother 3 sprite editor. I don’t have links to those, though.

Mato said on Feb. 18, 2011

Got a whole bunch done today!

Rocky said on Feb. 18, 2011

All hail the man named after a veggie!

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 20, 2011

So close yet so far!

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 23, 2011

Cool, you’ve cleared some catagries already, can’t wait for the patch!

annony said on Feb. 24, 2011

@Rocky Don’t want to be a grammar nazi, but a ‘mato is a fruit.

Anyway, great work Mato! Can’t wait to play.

Anonymous said on Feb. 26, 2011

Based on whats currently crossed out you’re 75% or so done. Awesome.

Person said on Mar. 2, 2011

I would like at least SOMEBODY to translate the Mother 2 segment, because I want to play it with the GBA emulator controls, not the sucky confusing SNES emulator controls.

TheZunar123 said on Mar. 2, 2011

Well, Mato said he was going to do some simple menu translations for the M2 part. For now, use the RPGOne translation (simple menu/item translations), because that’s what I use. But if someone could get around to translating the entire thing, that’d be awesome. 🙂

Mato said on Mar. 2, 2011

“Sucky confusing SNES emulator controls”? You know you can reconfigure the controls on most emulators, right?

Dreamer said on Mar. 5, 2011

EARTHBOUND FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Anonymous said on Mar. 5, 2011

lot of stuff done so far. Only 8 tasks left till the mother 1 portion is complete.

~FireEmblem~ said on Mar. 5, 2011

Wow Mato, I’m impressed! You made a huge amount of progress on this in just under a month! I mean, maybe you’ve been working on this since before February 12th, but still. I can’t wait to play the finished and translated game!

Robo85 said on Mar. 6, 2011

wow,the list just keeps get’n smaller! 😀

Starman said on Mar. 11, 2011

You should release a beta test version very soon, leave language tools and all that for later. That way we can identify text problems so we can fix them.

Mrstaplez said on Mar. 11, 2011

MATO IS SEXIER THAN SEX!

Rex said on Mar. 12, 2011

ALMOST DONE.Final Stuff need 2-do.

~FireEmblem~ said on Mar. 13, 2011

Wow, look at everything you’ve finished…applauds*

~FireEmblem~ said on Mar. 13, 2011

I meant: *applauds*
Awesome job, Mato!

Titus said on Mar. 14, 2011

Will the testing phase be open to the public?

Mato said on Mar. 14, 2011

No, I usually prefer not to do that with projects like this.

Shaun Alexander said on Mar. 17, 2011

SWEET ITS ALMOST DONE 8D I can’t wait for it <3 while I'm waiting I'm playing through MOTHER 3 again :3

Anonymous said on Mar. 19, 2011

Alright, 93% of the mother 1 portion completed.

I Can predict this being completed in a week or two, maybe three.

Ross said on Mar. 19, 2011

I highly doubt less than a month. Testing is going to take a long time, especially since it won’t be open to the public. It’d be nice, but not too likely.

Mato said on Mar. 19, 2011

It also depends largely on how my work schedule is, lately it’s been very heavy so I haven’t had much time for anything else. I’m also working on the menu patch-y stuff for the Mother 2 side of the game. So it’s definitely not time to give any release dates out yet.

Floridian said on Mar. 22, 2011

The date here: February 12, 2011
Today’s date: March 22, 2011
Time Lapsed: 1 month, 10 days
Items remaining on list: 3

Awesome job, Mato! Almost all of it is done! And in a relatively short time, too!
Mato, you rock!

Anonymous said on Mar. 22, 2011

^actully, He has started this project around 09 I think. so this means it was a long, 2 year project.

Mato, I tip my hat to you.

Floridian said on Mar. 22, 2011

He has? Oops.
Either way, my main point still is correct: Mato is epic, and his quest WILL be completed!

Anonymous said on Mar. 26, 2011

I predict mother 1 could be done around late April-mid may, Maybe.

Danffv said on Mar. 27, 2011

Woah cool!! I started to love Mother games like two weeks ago (xD yeah, im a noob) but I really get in love with Mother 2(Earth Bound in snes, not finished yet) and the only thing i want to tell you its, “Thanks” because I know everybody who wants you to finish this (me too!!)
and i want to play Mother 1 NAO! xDDD! Keep the good work n_n

Randomguardian said on Mar. 27, 2011

Haha 🙂 it’s never to late to start playing MOTHER/Earthbound!
That should be a slogan or something.

Anonymous said on Apr. 6, 2011

Hey mato..

do you currently a rough idea of when the translation will be in the public?

Just Wondering

Mato said on Apr. 6, 2011

No, my schedule is too unpredictable right now to look very far ahead :/

mass said on Apr. 14, 2011

almost there

Scorch A. (From Scorch the Hawk) said on Apr. 28, 2011

THis is definetly an ambitious project. I hate to ask this without looking at EVERYTHING under this section, but what about trnslating Mother 2? I know I could just pull an SNES rom of t, but I was hping to play the whole trilogy, in English, in one emulator. I would assume it’s as easy as pulling the script from Earthbound, and slapping it over the Mother 2 part (Save for the title, which was COMPLETELY different in America vs Japan. Will we be getting a 100% translation, or only a 50%?

Mato said on Apr. 28, 2011

It’s definitely NOT that easy. If it was, it’d already be done by now, eight years since the game was out 😛

Basically, it’d take me more time to get the Mother 2 portion into English than it did the Mother 3 project. It’s not really worth the time investment IMO, though if I had unlimited time/money I’d love to.

Poe said on Apr. 28, 2011

To add to that – have you heard the way they butchered the music in the M2 portion of M1+2? I understand wanting to have all 3 games on one emulator or flash cart, but honestly, playing EarthBound is the best way to experience M2 in English.

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 28, 2011

In spite of this, Pranavmeno and I are going to translate at least some of the stuff Mato isn’t going to, like some battle dialogue, PSI descriptions, and item descriptions. We may even get to translate some dialogue 😉 It all depends on how frustrating it will be, and how much hacking experience Pranav has.

Rock said on Jun. 18, 2011

Mato! You should be ashamed! You haven’t sold poisoned milk to schoolchildren yet! 😀

M1Fan said on Sep. 13, 2012

Man this patch is awesome I already downloaded it. At the time I downloaded it I didn’t know you did it and because I already downloaded the Mother 3 one when I opened the rom up I was like “Hey this looks like the opening for the Mother 3 patch” but now I realised you did both.