Mr. Saturn for Garry’s Mod!
Managed to find time to finish a few more things from the translation to-do list. This time I finished the font and added lots of characters for foreign languages, mostly so that it’ll be easier for people to translate the game into their languages with font support already in place. The naming screen is a huge pain to hack, so having it all done like this will save future translators a ton of time and hair-pulling. Here’s what the naming screen looks like now, let me know if any of the letters look odd or could be improved:
(Before and after)
Here are some sample screenshots using made-up text translated into a couple other languages:
There’s one little problem, and that’s that getting these new letters into the text files isn’t going to be very straightforward at all. It’ll probably be a real pain. I’ll see if I can help fix that a little bit, but translators might have to use a clunky workaround like typing  instead of ñ. It’s hard to explain but it’s mostly due to the fact that there are so many different text formats out there and different text editors mess stuff up in different ways.
Anyway, that crossed a few things off the to-do list. Then I went and tackled the player naming screen:
I don’t remember what this looks like in EarthBound Zero, but hacking this to include lowercase letters + all the international letters would be a really huge undertaking, so right now I’m planning to leave it like this.
The to-do list is quickly shrinking, but the really hard stuff is coming up now. Hopefully the remaining tasks won’t be TOO insane 😯
Other Related Posts:
99 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 24)
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues