MOTHER 3 Notebook Cover
Managed to find time to finish a few more things from the translation to-do list. This time I finished the font and added lots of characters for foreign languages, mostly so that it’ll be easier for people to translate the game into their languages with font support already in place. The naming screen is a huge pain to hack, so having it all done like this will save future translators a ton of time and hair-pulling. Here’s what the naming screen looks like now, let me know if any of the letters look odd or could be improved:
(Before and after)
Here are some sample screenshots using made-up text translated into a couple other languages:
There’s one little problem, and that’s that getting these new letters into the text files isn’t going to be very straightforward at all. It’ll probably be a real pain. I’ll see if I can help fix that a little bit, but translators might have to use a clunky workaround like typing  instead of ñ. It’s hard to explain but it’s mostly due to the fact that there are so many different text formats out there and different text editors mess stuff up in different ways.
Anyway, that crossed a few things off the to-do list. Then I went and tackled the player naming screen:
I don’t remember what this looks like in EarthBound Zero, but hacking this to include lowercase letters + all the international letters would be a really huge undertaking, so right now I’m planning to leave it like this.
The to-do list is quickly shrinking, but the really hard stuff is coming up now. Hopefully the remaining tasks won’t be TOO insane 😯
Other Related Posts:
99 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 24)
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...