February 20th, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2, Videos

Got a few more big things crossed off of the MOTHER 1 translation to-do list.

The most interesting stuff is that I tracked down a lot of loose pieces of text that would’ve been easily missed and that I also bit the bullet and remodeled the character naming screen. I really liked the way the Japanese screen was laid out in the GBA version, but it just didn’t give enough room for the short bits of text. I could’ve gotten by by making really small sentences like “NAME HIM” and “NAME FRIEND”, but other language versions might have it even worse off, so I figured some remodeling was in order. Here’s a before and after.

I also replaced the question marks with dots, which is really picky but in the end I like how it matches with the other two MOTHER games that way. There’s a ton of blank space in the text input area now, but I left it that way so that other language versions can add their letters in there easily.

I decided to give the current build a play from the start, so here’s a video of the first ten minutes. The text is still unpolished and not finalized, plus I haven’t made any decisions about naming issues yet. But it should hopefully show how it’s all starting to come together:

Also, while repositioning the character sprites on the naming screen, I didn’t hack their new positions in properly (I accidentally hacked the sprite tile arrangement data instead) and wound up with a neat little bug that made the characters seem to “bounce” when they’re walking πŸ˜›

124 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 20)

Dr. Gateau said on Feb. 20, 2011

That bouncing glitch is pretty awesome. It seems appropriate for the characters to bounce in a game with such happy music.

Chatetris said on Feb. 20, 2011

So are you going to release a patch just for Mother 1 part of the game? Because that would be great!

Mato said on Feb. 20, 2011

Yeah, though I might include a menu patch-like translation for the Mother 2 part with it.

Frank said on Feb. 20, 2011

I really think the bouncing characters should stay, i think it would be a nice extra to maybe enhance the happiness of the characters being together lol. I also like the text, i hope now we can go with Itoi’s original ideas instead of the revised ideas. The text is very excellent and better than most NES games ive ever played.

Halloween said on Feb. 20, 2011

I love the naming screen!

ha said on Feb. 20, 2011

Ahahahaha! They’re skipping! And so happily!

That’s so cute. Please incorporate that into the game somehow. I love it.

Cheezwiz said on Feb. 20, 2011

If it didn’t take much effort, it would be sooooooo cool if you could turn the bouncing on and off, if you wanted it or not.
But otherwise, I can’t wait to play it! It looks great.

shibaru said on Feb. 20, 2011

They’re singing : D while eating humans XD

Ice Sage said on Feb. 20, 2011

I actually laughed out loud at Ninten and Anna bouncing around, and the fact that Bein’ Friends is the background music made it even more perfect. Poor Lloyd must be depressed though, he’s not skipping around with them πŸ˜›

I’m really happy and excited that you’ve done all this work on the patch, too.

Anonymous said on Feb. 20, 2011

Why does Loid/Lloyd have to be such a downer!?

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 20, 2011

That’s awesome. It looks like they’re skipping. I’ll have to check out the other video later, though, cuz i have to get to work in a few minutes. Looking forward to it, though. Keep up the good work.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 20, 2011

Aw man… the easy ring reduces random battles? But if you don’t get into as many battles, wouldn’t that be HARDER to level up with the ring on? Especially now since the ring makes it pretty easy to do.

Also, just a suggestion, but for the naming screen maybe “name YOUR friend” would sound a little nicer than “THIS friend”.

And one last thing; Is this the final font you’ve decided on? It looks really nice.

Yoshin said on Feb. 20, 2011

The playable characters finally had their default names from the player’s guide in the GBA version, right? It’d be fun if you added “Prime Rib” as the default food to fit in with that.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 20, 2011

And just one last little thing, I personally liked the uncencored things better. It just felt more… real to me. I’ve played EB0 already, now I want to play with MOTHER graphics.

Of course, that’s just my personal opinion

ManiacTruck0 said on Feb. 20, 2011

I don’t know if you’ve seen this (I posted it in the Feb. 13 update), but I changed the lowercase T and F in the font, hopefully for the better.

If you have seen it already, I apologize for posting it again. In any case, I think I’ll call this my final version. Whichever font you finally choose, be it mine or another one entirely, I eagerly await the results of your hacking.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 20, 2011

I see you went with my suggestion on removing “country” to make everything fit in the prologue text.

I’m glad you altered the naming screen. “Name him” doesn’t quite have the same flavor as “Name this other boy”.

By the way, what’s the “default” favorite food supposed to be? Is there one at all, or should I just stick in “Lasagna”?

Someone Else said on Feb. 20, 2011

You changed Wally into “Man”? Aww. One of my favourite little things of EarthBound on the NES was that this guy named Wally kept attacking you all the time wherever you went. It was funny!

LakituAl said on Feb. 20, 2011

I’d like the skipping to stay too. And Loid isn’t doing it because he’s a weenie. >w<

NekoKnight said on Feb. 20, 2011

HUMANS?!?!
……
Attack of the killer tomato?

Mato said on Feb. 20, 2011

PsiWolf674: I already took that into account, which is why they give you even more exp and money to make up for it. It’s been this way since the very first Easy Ring beta patch from way back when.

I still plan to do some font tweaking, but I think this is the one the patch will use. I’ll try out your changes and see how it looks, ManiacTruck0.

The prologue text is actually not the original EB0 text, it’s just a version I quickly translated from the original. I liked how it managed to fit on the screen without having to trim anything though.

Someone Else: I haven’t decided what to do with names, like I mentioned. I kind of want to just do it while pretending EB0 never existed, but I dunno yet.

There’s no default food name as far as I know. Was there in any of the other versions?

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 20, 2011

Didn’t the MOTHER encyclopedia say Ninten’s favorite food is Prime Rib? I don’t think it’s offical but semi-official is better then nothing… right?

Besides it makes him more differant then Ness IMO.

Someone Else said on Feb. 20, 2011

If you’re going to pretend EB0 doesn’t exist, shouldn’t you also pretend MOTHER 1 Famicom doesn’t exist? That means it would just be you and this GBA game you’re translating.

MightyYT said on Feb. 20, 2011

I apologize if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to hack in the “YOU WON!” graphics from EB? I’m guessing it would probably be more trouble than it’s worth.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 20, 2011

^I’m no rom hacking expert, but I believe that the “YOU WON” message isn’t a graphic in Mother1, it’s literally a message that’s typed out, like the rest of the battle text. You can tell since it uses the same font as the english letters in both the Famicom and GBA versions.
If that’s the case, I think it’d be a little more work than it’s worth.

Of course, I could be wrong. In which case, ignore me.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 20, 2011

^Eh, pretty sure that’s not right. Ignore that comment.

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 20, 2011

@Someone Else

But MOTHER 1 Famicom was an officially released and sold game, EB0 was just a ROM that didn’t make the cut.

Amras Felagund said on Feb. 21, 2011

I like what I see in this video. Only real complaint is one of personal taste; I write out Ninten’s hometown as Mothersday, rather than Mother’s Day. But I will be fine with either one.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 21, 2011

^It’s officially romanized as “Mother’s Day” in the Japanese version on the map.

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 21, 2011

I know what you mean Amras, Mothersday does look like like what a real town might be named, but authenticity trumps my personal opinion. Hence why I choose Holy Loly Mountain over Mt. Itoi even thought he name Mt. Itoi is awesome.

8BitWalugi said on Feb. 21, 2011

Nooooo~! I liked Wally! D:

But if you think Man suits him better, go for it.

And the skipping should be optional. Maybe there could be an in-game switch or a separate patch that disables it?

Tina said on Feb. 21, 2011

Technically, Wally was just “γŠγ˜γ•γ‚“” (ojisan) in the original – man, pop, mister, whatever. At least I think so. It’s been a while since I’ve played M1, but I’m positive it was very generic like that. They just randomly gave him a name in EB0, I guess. And I agree, that was awesome. But since this is a retranslation… yeah.

Oh, those fond memories of me wondering why a man named Wally kept reappearing and beating the pulp out of Ninten…

Someone Else said on Feb. 21, 2011

Then maybe “Old man” would be better than just “Man”?
That’s at least kind of funny.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 21, 2011

How about changing it to “Redneck”?

Satsy said on Feb. 21, 2011

… Its terrible that I didn’t know there were names that you’re not allowed to take. How many are there?

*has been terrible at keeping up with the patch update notes*

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

There are about a dozen in the Japanese version, a little less in this version because some of the names can’t fit in six letters in English anyway.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 21, 2011

I finally got around to watching that 10min. video. I’m liking what i’ve seen so far. One thing, though: I’m not to sure about Wally being called man. I know that’s what he’s called in the Japanese version, but it just seems weird hearing “Man appeared” and “Man attacked”. Maybe you could give it some flavor, like “Ordinary Guy” or “Regular Joe” or something.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 21, 2011

I noticed in the second screenshot above the Gang Member doesn’t have a cigar (which is a censor in EB0). Any reason for this, Mato?

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

Right now I have the uncensored graphics in a separate project file, like I said I might release the uncensoring stuff separate from the main patch but I haven’t decided yet.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 21, 2011

Oh, ok. Also, IMO, “Redneck” sounds better than “Man”. What do you think?

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 21, 2011

Lol, “Redneck” is a good one.

And please don’t release it still censored, i beg of you. Censoring is evil.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 21, 2011

So it’s translated from a word that basically refers to someone as an adult like a kid might? I might be misinterpreting that, but it seems like someone with more character than “man” could be put in there that’s still a good translation. “Old man” is one, though personally I’m starting to think “Pops” could work…

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 21, 2011

^ I like Redneck.

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 21, 2011

How about “Grandpappy” πŸ˜›

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 21, 2011

Wait, when did he suddenly get old?

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

Putting “old” is a little too much, if anything ojisan might refer to someone middle-aged while ojiisan would qualify more for the “old” or “grandpappy” title.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 21, 2011

Middle-aged Man sounds a lot more earthboundesque then Man.

NintenofMother'sDay said on Feb. 21, 2011

Relating to the default food…I read somewhere that it’s “Prime Rib” but I could be wrong.

MEG said on Feb. 21, 2011

All I can think is “Drunken Uncle,” hahaha.

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

Gotta keep in mind enemy names have to be really short in this game 😐

Jean-philippe said on Feb. 21, 2011

Mato I love you! would you marry me?

Random guardian said on Feb. 21, 2011

Keep up the good work! I have nothing else to say.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 21, 2011

Put his name as Redneck, Mato!

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 21, 2011

Farmer Joe would fit and would be an interesting name..

[…] Check out the latest update here Permalink […]

Anonymous said on Feb. 21, 2011

Anything but redneck.

Redneck sounds so bland and dumb.

No offense Zunar.

LakituAl said on Feb. 21, 2011

I think Wally should be “Farmer”. After all, it’s short enough and it makes more sense. After all, there can be more than one farmer around, right?

Then again, I’d make it “Mad Farmer”, but I don’t know if that would fit…

Someone Else said on Feb. 21, 2011

Instead of trying to think of something funny, try to think of the reaction a player would have to the name. Does the Japanese name sound as bland and boring as “Man” sounds to English speakers?

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

Most enemies in the game have bland names, he’s no exception. I don’t feel comfortable making stuff up out of nowhere just to be funny, though.

santiagoff said on Feb. 21, 2011

Mato, is there any chance there’ll be a patch that ONLY adds the easy mode ring? I’m meaning to play the game in Japanese but with the easy ring. Is that possible? o.o

EnnuiKing said on Feb. 21, 2011

You could change Wally’s name to “The MAN” or some variation, considering he’s always keeping Ninten down.

NintenofMother'sDay said on Feb. 21, 2011

Keep his name as is. I could of sworn this project was about being true to the original, right?

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 21, 2011

^Yeah, Man might sound bland, but at least it’s what Itoi intended.

Of course, you could also go with Wally…

I think you should decide between Wally and Man. Either one would be alright.

rotschleim said on Feb. 21, 2011

Walliman! :p

Anonymous said on Feb. 21, 2011

Just curious but what’s to stop you from adding some kind of food picture to use at the favorite food naming part? Would it be too complex to do?

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2011

santiagoff: I’ve already released a patch with just the easy ring. Well, it also uncensored graphics, but other than that you should be able to use it now. There’s a bug in it that makes an abandoned hotel in Halloween have stairs you can’t go up, but it’s 100% unimportant.

Anonymous: yeah, it’d be a lot tougher. I could probably figure it out if I spent a day or two on it, but it’s honestly not worth the time. I also checked into the way the sprite graphics are loaded, it would be pretty icky to try to get a new sprite into that system they set up.

Ly the Thran said on Feb. 21, 2011

How about calling him Yokel? A stereotypical farmer would go nicely with the stereotrypical hippies running around.

PriestessPaula said on Feb. 22, 2011

Is there a reason no Japanese characters can be used in this any more? I understand that this is translated, and nothing else would be in Japanese, but…I don’t know.

door said on Feb. 22, 2011

Man, I’m so excited for this. I’ve only played through Mother on a Mother 1+2 cart. My Japanese is decent enough that I was able to understand the menus and about 50% of the dialogue (the latter of which was complicated by the lack of kanji), but the idea of a completely faithful translation (written by none other than the champion of the Mother fan club, Tomato!) is something I can definitely get behind.

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 22, 2011

Mato, are you planning to rename the stats to their Mother 2 form?

Mother Bound said on Feb. 22, 2011

Can we just drop the Man’s name thing already? It’s going to stay as Man! Anyway, I kinda think the bouncing is annoying. Hopefully I’ll be able to enjoy this game better, Easy Ring and all.

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2011

PriestessPaula: I’m modifying the font heavily to allow for multiple translations and such, so the Japanese font is going to be overwritten.

PSI rockin’: No, I’m leaving them as-is.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 22, 2011

For Wally, “Mad Farmer” sounds good, and I’m sure it will fit.

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2011

If I do that, then I’m just making up stuff. I’m probably not going to stick with “Man”, but like I said I haven’t finalized any of the naming issues yet so I haven’t decided what to do.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 22, 2011

If you don’t want to make up stuff, then stick with Wally.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 22, 2011

I’m thinking you should do a poll in the next update for what to call the “man”, and maybe for a few other iffy enemy names as well.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 22, 2011

^ I agree, TGM!

unnoticedninja said on Feb. 22, 2011

It seems like mato wants to keep it as man, but maybe if he releases the tools after the translation is done, anyone can change the name to whatever they want with a little help.

santiagoff said on Feb. 22, 2011

Oh, right, you released an Easy Ring patch before! I guess I’ll use that. Thanks! πŸ˜€

PizzaPasta said on Feb. 22, 2011

This comment thread is nostalgic of the old M3 translation posts before you started cracking down on the goofs.

Zinco said on Feb. 22, 2011

I’d like to posit that fighting “Man” has an inherent symbolic value best not stripped from the game

chaz said on Feb. 22, 2011

err, I sorta prefer wally, but that’s not what I’m getting at, can anything be done about making the cursor wrap around when naming characters in the beginning?

not a big issue, just a minor annoyance.

I look forward to playing this.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 22, 2011

I like the idea of a poll, but “Wally” should be on it. It’s not a translation or English language equivalent to “Ojisan”.

@Mato
How long can enemy names be?

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 22, 2011

@Linkdude: I think they can be 11 letters long. Am I right, Mato?

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2011

Haha oh man, this does remind me of the Mother 3 times. People would often bicker about the tiny, unfinished stuff that wasn’t the point of the screens/videos to begin with.

Honestly, when it comes to the translation of stuff I’m probably just gonna go with my gut wherever possible and ask for outside help whenever it feels like I need it – that’s how I handled Mother 3 and the end result was okay. If I start having a poll for every name, every line, every pixel, the translation will get nowhere and people will just get all riled up over nothing 😐

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2011

TheZunar123: I don’t know the length limit off the top of my head. It’s probably less than that though.

chaz: I don’t know what you mean about the cursor wrap thing, do you not like being able to wrap around like that?

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 22, 2011

I’m pretty sure it’s 11, because I remember that in the RPGOne translation, “Magic Snail” would just fit. Any A or B would extend into the border.

Miche said on Feb. 22, 2011

I’m in support of using “Grandpappy” for “Ojisan”‘s English name.

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2011

I mentioned it before, but that’s what “ojiisan” would be, not “ojisan”.

psycho said on Feb. 22, 2011

I think, Uncle whould be quite fitting? Also see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ojisan

NintenofMother'sDay said on Feb. 22, 2011

Mato, just do what you want. I’m behind you all the way, okay?

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 22, 2011

Let’s be all Weeaboo-like and call him Ojisan (or Ojiisan ’cause Weeaboos get the two mixed up). πŸ˜€

Newman said on Feb. 22, 2011

How about Mr. Uncle?

Anonymous said on Feb. 22, 2011

How about Man?

No use changing it for no reason, and having Wally doesn’t match up with the town name changes.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 22, 2011

For those who think Uncle would work… Uh, that implies he’s family, doesn’t it? :/

PK Mt. Fuji said on Feb. 22, 2011

How about Aging Man? I think that would work though I wouldn’t mind if just Man makes it into the final cut.

R7038XX said on Feb. 22, 2011

“Man” does seem a little plain. Would “Grown-Up” fit?

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Ojisan is what someone Ninten’s age would call a middle-aged man. Perhaps something like Mister would work.

PizzaPasta said on Feb. 23, 2011

Jeesh. You guys need to take a hint.

Let Mato do what he wants and quit worrying about it. He works like 90 jobs and is nice enough to take time out of his schedule to do something that none of you would have the motivation or the attention span to do.

Give the dude a break.

FuzzyPicklez said on Feb. 23, 2011

I think Mister would work, but that’s not what I’m posting for.

Posting to say that you should include European characters in the English version, too, since there are plenty of people named AndrΓ© and the like who only speak English.

If the text calls for it, maybe include a tilde too.

FuzzyPicklez said on Feb. 23, 2011

Probably not immediately, though. It’s definitely a long-term goal.

FuzzyPicklez said on Feb. 23, 2011

What I mean by the tilde is not Γ±, but just a plain old tilde~

IIRC, the Mother 3 translation used tildes in the Japanese context sometimes, but if no one talks like that here, it’s entirely unneeded.

Ninji said on Feb. 23, 2011

I love the way that this fan translation is going! Man is okay, but just as kind of a suggestion, how about Hillbilly? But it’s probably too long to fit.

Ryan9-1 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Ummmm… is it just me or is the name of the first town Podunk in EB0?

Mato said on Feb. 23, 2011

It is.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Hey Mato, is it just me, or did you not hack the battle text to use the whole text box?

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 23, 2011

Ignore above comment; I see you did hack the text. But one other thing. It looks to me like the battle text box isn’t fully expanded to what it could be; seems like you could add two more columns to each end, resulting in two more spaces that you have now.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 23, 2011

*than, not that.

psycho said on Feb. 23, 2011

I gave it some more thought, I think “Pops” is the best solution: It’s family, but could be used as a slightly impolite way to address an middle aged man.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 23, 2011

I think Ninji’s suggestion (Hillbilly) is a great one! Considering Mato named PseudoZombis “Semi-Zombies”, I don’t see why he couldn’t put in Hillbilly.

Anonymous said on Feb. 23, 2011

@Zunar: What? That makes no sense. Semi and pseudo are similar words whereas man and hillbilly are not.

Ly the Thran said on Feb. 23, 2011

@psycho

Pops just makes me think of Corn Pops.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

@Anonymous: Actually, PsuedoZombi means “FalseZombie” whereas Semi-Zombie means “Half-Zombie”. Also, Man and Hillbilly really aren’t as different as PsuedoZombi and Semi-Zombie. A hillbilly is someone who lives in a rural area, and you find “Man” outside towns.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

So, in light of that fact, the “Man” really could be a hillybilly, if you think about it.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

*hillbilly, not hillybilly.

JFDP13 said on Feb. 24, 2011

Like a member of MOTHER 3 spanish translation team, i deeply appreciate that!
When you have finished with 1+2, i definitely translate it too! Keep up the great work Tomato!

man said on Feb. 24, 2011

I can’t help but think some people may take offence to ‘Hillbilly’.

I actually found the blunt name of ‘Man’ pretty amusing. If I had it my way I would call him ‘Bloke’ or ‘Codger’ but that’s a regional thing.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

What’s there to take offense, man? Hillbilly is just a term for someone who lives in a rural area.

man said on Feb. 24, 2011

Some people do view it as a derogatory term though, though times may have changed.

Anonymous said on Feb. 24, 2011

@Zunar: Your point? I never said they were synonyms but they are closer than man and hillbilly.

Also, hillbilly isn’t offensive? Do you ever hear anyone call themselves a hillbilly?

Anonymous said on Feb. 24, 2011

Also, semi is ten times closer to pseudo than hillbilly is to man.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

Hillbilly really is just an adjective. It’s just another name for a man or woman who lives in the country.

Anonymous said on Feb. 24, 2011

Still, just because Wally is a farmer does not make him a hillbilly.

Mato said on Feb. 24, 2011

The majority of the enemy names in Mother 1 are bland: Lamp, Rat, Snake, Tiger, Doll. Even the Hippie is just called “Guy”. That’s just how the game is. So try not to get too worked up about the names – whatever I go with, they’re not going to really differ that much from the original game. So please stop the pointless back and forth bickering.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 24, 2011

Who said he was a farmer, Anon? He may LOOK like a farmer, but looks can be deceiving.