MOTHER on MSNBC
Got a few more big things crossed off of the MOTHER 1 translation to-do list.
The most interesting stuff is that I tracked down a lot of loose pieces of text that would’ve been easily missed and that I also bit the bullet and remodeled the character naming screen. I really liked the way the Japanese screen was laid out in the GBA version, but it just didn’t give enough room for the short bits of text. I could’ve gotten by by making really small sentences like “NAME HIM” and “NAME FRIEND”, but other language versions might have it even worse off, so I figured some remodeling was in order. Here’s a before and after.
I also replaced the question marks with dots, which is really picky but in the end I like how it matches with the other two MOTHER games that way. There’s a ton of blank space in the text input area now, but I left it that way so that other language versions can add their letters in there easily.
I decided to give the current build a play from the start, so here’s a video of the first ten minutes. The text is still unpolished and not finalized, plus I haven’t made any decisions about naming issues yet. But it should hopefully show how it’s all starting to come together:
Also, while repositioning the character sprites on the naming screen, I didn’t hack their new positions in properly (I accidentally hacked the sprite tile arrangement data instead) and wound up with a neat little bug that made the characters seem to “bounce” when they’re walking 😛
Other Related Posts:
124 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 20)
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...