MOTHER Remake Hack Coming Along Nicely
Got a few more big things crossed off of the MOTHER 1 translation to-do list.
The most interesting stuff is that I tracked down a lot of loose pieces of text that would’ve been easily missed and that I also bit the bullet and remodeled the character naming screen. I really liked the way the Japanese screen was laid out in the GBA version, but it just didn’t give enough room for the short bits of text. I could’ve gotten by by making really small sentences like “NAME HIM” and “NAME FRIEND”, but other language versions might have it even worse off, so I figured some remodeling was in order. Here’s a before and after.
I also replaced the question marks with dots, which is really picky but in the end I like how it matches with the other two MOTHER games that way. There’s a ton of blank space in the text input area now, but I left it that way so that other language versions can add their letters in there easily.
I decided to give the current build a play from the start, so here’s a video of the first ten minutes. The text is still unpolished and not finalized, plus I haven’t made any decisions about naming issues yet. But it should hopefully show how it’s all starting to come together:
Also, while repositioning the character sprites on the naming screen, I didn’t hack their new positions in properly (I accidentally hacked the sprite tile arrangement data instead) and wound up with a neat little bug that made the characters seem to “bounce” when they’re walking 😛
Other Related Posts:
124 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 20)
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...