February 17th, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

Over the past few days I managed to get a little bit of stuff done on the M1+2 project, and the to-do list gets smaller and smaller. Some of the recent stuff I got done is:

• Fixed the stairs glitch I caused in the Halloween hotel
  • Fixed the crystal animation at the XX stone, copying the graphics straight from the Famicom version of Mother 1 caused this
  • Fixed some ending graphics to match the rest of the uncensored stuff
  • Special text inserter handles spaces properly now, this will help when other people translate the game into other languages or when people make hacks using these tools down the line
  • Extended the box for enemy names in battle, allowing for an extra letter in enemy names – I’d like to make this even better by adding a space between enemy names and their letters, but I dunno yet.
  • Undid a weird thing that the GBA programmers did that automatically changed the comma character to a Japanese-style comma character. That’s why all past screenshots have a weird comma.
  • Fixed/modified/re-undid the graphical text used during the credits – this turned out to be a huge pain because the entire ending is one giant script, so I had to do a lot of repointing and tile hunting. I didn’t have to redraw any graphics though, because the tiles used in the EB0 credits are still in the ROM, they were just unused. If there’s still any doubt the EB0 prototype ROM was fan-made, then this (and other similar stuff I’ve run across) should prove that the EB0 ROM was legit and made by Nintendo.
  • Fixed a weird graphic glitch caused just before the final boss
  • Fixed a strange music glitch I somehow caused to happen during the ending
  • Started hacking the intro text, haven’t retranslated it yet. The EB0 intro text can’t even fit on the entire screen though, as you can see
  • Hacked the “-tachi” thing to say “‘s party” whenever you have other people in your party (see screenshot above if that makes no sense

I’m still working on choosing a final font, the font topic from a few days ago got real big real fast. A bunch of cool people posted their suggested fonts and I tried them out. The one I’m currently leaning toward is the one used in the intro screenshot up above, possibly with some modifications. It seems to be popular among many of the commenters too. The bold numbers look strange in that screenshot, but most of the time numbers are used in stat windows and such, not in regular text.

With the realization that there were multiple map changes between MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero (which were carried over to MOTHER 1+2), I’ve started to wonder what the specific goal of this patch should be. Should it be to keep absolutely everything according to Itoi’s original intent, whether it’s graphics, text, maps, etc.? Or should it be to simply make a translation of the MOTHER 1 version of MOTHER 1+2 that’s as close to a professional, legitimately localized version as possible, with a few simple added features, to try to get fans and sideline fans to experience the game all the way through? People seem to be split on this issue (example), so it’s tough to decide.

At first, the two goals seemed like they were the same, but little by little they’ve been going separate ways. If I were to try to keep everything according to Itoi’s original intent so that fans can have a really good source to experience and analyze, then what about stuff like the ending? The original game didn’t really have an ending, just the credits. And what about the “learning a melody” animation? That wasn’t in the original, either. I’d have to take all that stuff out, which seems weird and would be pretty tough.

So I’m thinking that maybe it’d be best to make this patch exactly like the Japanese version of MOTHER 1+2 content-wise, and maybe someday someone can start a project to translate the MOTHER 1 Famicom ROM into English if fans want to experience the true original intent of everything. I’m still not sure, though. Releasing two separate patches is another idea, but it gets really cumbersome trying to maintain multiple patches, so maybe I can release one as the main patch that I’ll update from time to time, and release the other one with it but not maintain it.

If you guys got any suggestions, lemme know. For now, I’ll just keep trucking through the to-do list.

79 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 17)

Mr.Saturn said on Feb. 17, 2011

I think you should use the original Famicom map.

TMMDI said on Feb. 17, 2011

I originally wanted you to keep everything to exactly what Itoi wanted but I see your point with the melody and everything. I think it has to be a balance. I would like it to be as close to Itoi’s vision but realistically speaking. If it doesn’t really drastically alter anything then it’d be smarter to just leave it alone and move on to something else. It doesn’t need to be an exact clone of the original Mother 1, it just needs its heart and soul. And I’m positive you’re going to pull that off. 🙂

JFDP13 said on Feb. 17, 2011

If that changes were in MOTHER 1+2, Itoi wanted it that way, right?
Whit that thinking, i believe you don’t have to use Famicom stuff.

Labrynian Rbel said on Feb. 17, 2011

You have to remember though that Itoi didn’t make this game by himself, he was just the lead person. He probably doesn’t care at all what map of magicant caves you use. I think this translation should be closest to an actual release of Mother 1 would be if it ever happened. The important bit is that Nintendo has decided (and probably Itoi) that changes made in EB0 were an improvement and chose that version to re-release and let the older famicom version die. That’s the sad truth.

PK Mt. Fuji said on Feb. 17, 2011

I think you change the maps to there original Mother 1 version so people who been playing EB0 can have a new experience kinda like a Master Quest.

Labrynian Rebel said on Feb. 17, 2011

The purpose of this is not a master quest for the people who’ve played EB0 the goals of this translation is to introduce new players to MOTHER and to provide a better translation to those who have already played.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 17, 2011

I like the two separate patches idea. Even if it wasn’t maintained, it would be cool to play the original version in English (it’s what I’m used to anyways).

Douglas said on Feb. 17, 2011

^Original version? SAD truth? What are you guys talking about? This is still Mother 1. The changes made in EB0 are tiny. Why would you bother going through the effort of removing these changes that actually improved the game?

Ross said on Feb. 17, 2011

After already going through the entire uncensoring process, this project is leaning towards being M1 (Fmaicom). If you choose to keep the M1+2/EB0 changes, you should probably rechange them back and later make a second patch for Famicom diehardists. All I’m saying is that this is all up to you and a couple of pixels in a map aren’t going to stop the world from spinning. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, you can’t always make everyone happy. After a certain point, feel free to tell people “Screw off and translate your own damn game sometime!” because it’d get rid of a lot of the “Add in an easy mode; change the font to variable width; old maps; Giygas’ name should be Giygas, etc.” bs that you’ve had to deal with. I personally am very thankful that you haven’t given up by now because it’s a huge commitment and I would’ve given up quickly! Thank you so much!

Labrynian Rebel said on Feb. 17, 2011

@Douglas

I didn’t say it was sad to me, but the “hardcore purists” are obviously in a fuss about it. And there are significant changes such as adding in an ending and other changes. And I agree that the changes improve the game, the sad truth is that the original ROM is not Itoi’s original intent because he didn’t make the game by himself and there were parts of the game such as Holy Loly Mountain where he was like “heck with it, I don’t care”

Rockin'Ness said on Feb. 17, 2011

I love this font. It’s very, very good and is easy and fun to read. I think you should just keep the Mother 1+2 changes, as they make the game better.

TMMDI said on Feb. 17, 2011

I don’t know if the fans are in a huge fuss. I personally don’t care what he does he knows what he is doing. They are just simple suggestions and I’m sure people aren’t going to be upset just because the Magicant cave isn’t the same. The only emotion here is excitement.

Zilch said on Feb. 17, 2011

I say translate the game and keep it as close as possible to the GBA version.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 17, 2011

My suggestion for the intro screen is to put the last paragraph directly under the third paragraph, eliminating the line break. Either that, or eliminate the line break between the second and third paragraphs.

Crav said on Feb. 17, 2011

Well honestly, I don’t see a problem with the “improvements” of EB0 because it was to my understanding that Itoi liked the changes and thought they were improvements.

Uncensoring stuff? YAY!!! I doubt anyone would object to that.

Undoing other graphical changes? meh. Little things like the stripe on Ninten’s shirt and such were changed because they were supposed to be an improvement. Little final touches that they got to go back and add in for the next version. Tweeks to things they weren’t satisfied with. You wanga change that stuff back to the original, I don’t really care, but it seems overly pointless. This includes stuff like changing the town names back to the japanese versions too. Doesn’t seem like it’d make it better, just different and maybe a little more confusing since they already have different names in the english audience.

Replacing old maps: sure? Much like the above, I guess it might be kinda neat. I’d normally be all for it, but again, the reason that were changed in the first place was because they were seen as flaws that could be corrected, not because they wanted to somehow cheapen the original experience.

Removing features like the ending and the music scenes: NO NO NO. Not only does it sound difficult, but it would make the game worse. I guess I’m not part of and over seas gaming communities, but I can’t imaging ANYONE having a problem with these sorts of things. They’re improvements to the original. Just like the easy ring, really. It’s be hard work, make the game less enjoyable, and the only reason to do it would be out of some sort of desire to keep the game “pure.” Which in my opinion, is just ugh.

Baiscly, that’s how I’d do it.
But hey, Mato. You’re a pretty cool guy who’s already do SOOO much work for fans of this series. Frankly, even if you disagreed with everything I just said, I’d be fine with you making the patch the way YOU wanted to. You’re the one doing all the work, so if you have any preferences on how YOU want to do it, I don’t think you should hesitate to do them that way.

gwalms said on Feb. 17, 2011

Mayhap just keep the Mother 1+2 changes. If someone really wants it like the original Mother for NES, they should translate the original Mother.

Halloween said on Feb. 17, 2011

I think that font looks great!

And as for the changes/mapping/censoring… personally I would like to see the censoring reversed and maps like the original, but improvements like the ending and melody animation can stay intact. I basically would prefer to see Itoi’s original intent.

But people want a lot of different things! So if you’re in doubt, just do what you want to. You know more about translating games and the Mother series than anyone else.

Ice Sage said on Feb. 17, 2011

While I would love to have a patch with the original MOTHER 1 content on it, I think you should go with the MOTHER 1+2 route. After all, that IS the game you’re translating, not the Famicom version of MOTHER 1.

And maybe this is completely unfounded, but I’ve been thinking lately…what if doing all those changes to make it more like the original version of MOTHER 1 messes with the MOTHER 2 part of the game, making that part even harder to translate? M2 is already going to be hard to hack into and translate properly – it would suck if you or someone else tackled the M2 part, only to find it impossible because of all the changes made to the M1 part.

Maybe that idea is stupid, seeing as I’m not an expert at knowing about hacking games, but I think for right now you should play it safe, and maybe work on an “original” Famicom patch later.

rotschleim said on Feb. 17, 2011

I agree, keep the changes that were made. The original Famicom version graphics can stay, but the other improvements should as well.

Ross said on Feb. 17, 2011

@Ice Sage
I don’t think we have to worry about the M2 part. I think Mato said something about there being 2 parts to the rom or something. I think everything should stay M1+2, changes-wise. The uncensoring is a nice addon, but the new maps would be better for new players. Plus, the Magicant caves are HORRIBLY tedious after going there to level up 100000000000000 times… I just started replaying EB0 again today and realized that original’s not always best! Kepp the bellyshirt though! It’s too epic to cut!

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 17, 2011

Yeah, this is a Mother 1+2 translation, so do a Mother 1+2 translation. Uncensor stuff that was censored and fix bugs and keep being awesome Mato.

NewSupaLuigiBros said on Feb. 17, 2011

Whynot make 2 rom types then?

One for original MOTHER version

and

One for the Earthbound Zero version.

Mato said on Feb. 17, 2011

The two games are in completely separate parts of the ROM, and there’s a ton of blank space all over the ROM to use, so there’s no worry about the M1 work causing M2 work to be impossible. There’s always a chance applying two different patches by two different people can cause problems because they both used the same ROM addresses for some stuff, but mixing patches is always a bad idea to begin with.

Anyway, if I stick with how things are in Japanese Mother 1+2, it seems strange to go back and uncensor graphics. Why that but not other changes Itoi was okay with?

I’m currently leaning toward doing a straight translation of Mother 1+2, keeping the censored stuff and going with already-localized names (such as the town names), while also making a side patch that will uncensor graphics – hell, I’ve basically already released that patch a few weeks ago, though it had a few bugs.

I’m still not sure though. Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts so far. As I’ve been working on it the past week or so I’ve felt kind of lost in terms of direction, I hate that feeling.

Zaxtur said on Feb. 17, 2011

I think the goal of this translation should just be to translate Mother 1 as it appears in Mother 1+2. We already have EB0 and Mother 1 ROMs that can be used for the uncensored stuff. We just want the same thing Japan got.

TMMDI said on Feb. 17, 2011

@Mato
Sounds like an excellent idea. I think you should go ahead and do it that way.

Mato said on Feb. 17, 2011

Say, you know that patch for M1+2 that uses the EB0 script? How did they get around the “not enough screen space for the intro text” problem?

Anonymous said on Feb. 18, 2011

IMO, keep the things that improved the game(revised cave, ending scene) and change things that were changed for silly reasons (censored graphics).

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 18, 2011

Mato-
They deleted the space between the 2nd and 3rd paragraph so they were mushed together. It looked… kinda ugly.

Andy said on Feb. 18, 2011

I am just so looking forward to a professional quality translation.

Tonch said on Feb. 18, 2011

I agree with the “localizing M1+2” option–
What I think would be optimal is a translation of Mother 1 with a tuned-up script rather than the one straight from EB0.

I personally don’t care for uncensored graphics– I mentioned in a different comment that the censored stuff really doesn’t change ALL that much. Zombies have blood on them, big deal, it doesn’t ruin anything to have it not there either. And if the game wants to be a take on American culture, then censoring that stuff also makes sense in a way.

I’m definitely against the “straight original Japanese NES content” thing. I think doing a localization of the GBA content is a good idea to get new people to play it, since it’s full of changes that were thought to be improvements even by Itoi. And, as someone else mentioned, you ARE patching the GBA game and not the NES one.

I think people get a bit carried away with the purist stuff… I know I for one want to play Mother 1 as if it were a localized and released game here in the States. Except, well, better than it almost was.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 18, 2011

I think using NoA’s name changes is silly. That’s purposefully CHANGING things from Itoi’s vision of the game. The only way that using NoA’s names would be okay is if those changes were made to the Japanese M1+2.

Uncensoring is kind of different than undoing the map changes and stuff. I guess if you’re getting confused over the direction to take the game, just forget about two patches, just forget about the maps, changes, and improvements. Censorship, and changes due to NoA being afraid of getting sued, are the only things that go against what Itoi intended. The changes to the games difficulty were requested of Nintendo, weren’t they?

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 18, 2011

Hmm… I do like the idea of a translated “Mother 1 Famicom” I must admit.

The “1” font above was my second favorite in that thread. Yeah, it looks pretty good. That prologue text could fit if only you could get “their home” to fit on a previous line… What if you just removed “country” from “small country town”? That’s pretty well conveyed by the “rural America” line. You could move “town” up a line and everything else should fit just fine from there.

Ya know I’m curious. This game says it takes place in America but Earthbound says it’s in “Eagleland”. Was Eagleland just an artifact of Earthbound’s translation or did it say that in Japanese?

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 18, 2011

Mother 1 takes place in the US in 1988, and Mother 2 takes place in EagleLand, FoggyLand, and Chommo in 199X(0~9). The only changes to the English versions was in Mother 1; they changed “1988” to “80 years have passed since then”.

EarthBoundanator said on Feb. 18, 2011

localize M1+2 (not nes)

your the best Mato

Vanasto said on Feb. 18, 2011

Tomato-

Please make your decisions with an intent to choose whichever revisions might be more fun to play with. Balance is key, but maximizing the enjoyment can win over both Motherlovers and newcomers alike.

-A humble fan who would like an enjoyable Mother experience.

Mother Bound said on Feb. 18, 2011

You should keep it the same, EB0 version, because it ended up being an improvement. We almost got the better version of MOTHER 1, and we kinda do, but now Japan officially has it on a GBA cart. And isn’t this project about just re-translating said GBA cart?

Ross said on Feb. 18, 2011

Yeah, go with EB0! Then we’ll have a true M1+2 translation! Idrc about a couple of pixels tbh.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 18, 2011

@PsiWolf674:
Actually, I think the last two paragraphs were squished together, not the second and third.

Chaos20022002 said on Feb. 18, 2011

I personally like the uncensored graphics, I’ll be glad to play this game regardless if things were changed or if it was an exact copy of the M1+2 game.

I think the uncensored graphics you have already done should remain in as a treat to the people that have already played EB0 but keep the maps and stuff the same so it’s the same game as M1+2

Justin Holmes said on Feb. 18, 2011

I am of the mind that a lot of the changes in EB0 were improvements made with the luxury of extra time and a bit of feedback, not dumbing down for a North American audience. I wouldn’t undo something that was localized unless there was a reason to do so. Undoing the censorship I get, making a fixed dungeon more tedious, not so much.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 18, 2011

If you want to do a straight translation of Mother 1+2 then changing the names to the EB0 names would be changing Mother 1+2.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 18, 2011

^ Good point.

man said on Feb. 18, 2011

People don’t seem to realise it is quicker to go through the original caves than the revised caves.

If were on the subject of Itoi’s ‘original intent’ bear in mind that part of his intent was to have a game in which exploration was key. I feel the original map emphasises this better than the revised version.

Zinco said on Feb. 18, 2011

How much is something like the Magicant caves a reflection of Itoi’s philosophical intent, anyway? Was he putting forward a metaphor in creating a labyrinthine dungeon where, though there was little hint of reward in exploring it, there exists something critical to your quest? Or did a staff member just want to make the place a pain in the ass? Speaking of original intent, did he always intend to have the game cut off after the final battle, or was his original intent to have the ending that was later added, but the vision was truncated by time constraints?

I suppose we can’t know (unless he says anything relevant in obscure interviews somewhere). And I suppose also that these things are a part of the universal challenges of translation. And unfortunately those answers aren’t really best answered democratically.

I’ll offer a couple of observations from a literary point of view. The author’s original intent is, more or less, what ends up being published as a first draft of a work. But this isn’t necessarily the final word on a piece. Tolstoy’s War and Peace was originally published as a serial novel; after it was finished, Tolstoy substantially revised the work, even to the point of altering plot points, in what became the standard, and most likely better, version of the novel today, and far and above the most translated. Though the serial novel has recently been translated into English, many reviewers thought it was interesting only in an academic sense. In this sense, maybe “original intent” isn’t the best term to use, because the crux is that Tolstoy’s intent might not have changed, but his way of expressing it has.

For a different view, Faulkner wrote The Sound and the Fury with an intent in mind, but one that he couldn’t quite articulate, though he tried with section after section to do so. He ended up with a somewhat mysterious masterpiece. Some years later, he finally realized what he wanted to say with the novel, and wrote an addendum. It turned out to be hardly necessary, and the edition of the novel I have doesn’t even include it. Faulkner was probably at his worst when, instead of feeling around for his point, he decided what it was and explicitly said it. Altering the novel may be more in line with his intent, but it weakens the work.

In short, there’s no concrete answer as to how to best convey the author’s true intention—or even if that’s necessarily the best thing to do in some cases. (For a less lofty example than those I’ve described, would you rather watch the original Star Wars films, or the special editions that better reflected George Lucas’s visions?) So it may be that you have to take each instance on a case-by-case basis, rather than deciding that one overriding principle should rule over your decisions. Does an altered dungeon have an effect on Itoi’s intent? Do censored graphics? Does an entirely new ending (which I presume he at least approved, if he didn’t write it himself—though I have no idea)?

My personal opinions: the censored graphics are probably there out of laziness, so they ought to be changed back. For that matter, they probably decided to work with the American version of the game because of the ending, and because that decision was made, that—and other positive alterations—should certainly be kept. (I realize that these are only academic considerations since you almost certainly weren’t going to take them out, but I’m delineating my thoughts on them for the sake of argument.) As for the dungeon, though I doubt that much was intended beyond additional difficulty in its original form, I think that the decision of whether or not to return it to its original form is purely a judgment call. I know that in a translated work I would generally prefer a difficult passage over something smoothed over for the ease of a non-native speaker, even if it had little relevance on the work as a whole. I argued against returning the cave layout to its initial form before, but I’m ambivalent about it when I think about it in those terms. I think you ultimately might feel more comfortable returning it to its original form.

Either way, a reader—or player—has to have faith in the decisions of the translator, who is the one saddled with the unfortunate responsibility of guessing at what the original author wanted to do. You should certainly take into consideration what people tell you they want out of a translation, but more than that, go with your gut.

Anon said on Feb. 18, 2011

I think Mato should just stick with the uncensored graphics (because they were mostly clearly censored to fit NOAs “rules”, I don’t want to argue about Ninten’s shirt or things like that) and a proper translation, although I like EB0s town names. No map changes have to be done, imo.

FuzzyPicklez said on Feb. 18, 2011

Everything that they changed was with Itoi’s approval, and several of the changes were Itoi’s requests.

So, pretty much the only thing you should reverse is the censorship, and maybe the Magicant caves.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 18, 2011

Honestly Mato, I really do not wanna see you go back on the “uncensored graphics” issue. Though i’d prefer using the M1+2 maps, i’d really like you to stick to your guns in uncensored it, partially because i hate censorship with all all consuming passion, but also because you put so much work into it.

This is what i want to see: All the other changes to the game made for the GBA port can stay. That includes map changes, gameplay tweaks, the new ending, the melody thing, ect. If you’re gonna revert it to the famicon version, then why not just remove the run button while you’re at it, or the R-button talking. Aside from the uncensored graphics, i’d say just leave the rest alone. I’f someone wants to hack the famicon rom, then just let them. But this isn’t the famicon. This is the GBA.

BTW, i realize that it may seem kinda hypocritical saying all that and yet still wanting the uncensored graphics, but i just really REALLY hate censorship.

Milla the Icecarl said on Feb. 18, 2011

Your main goal should be to make the best english version of MOTHER that there is.

Mato said on Feb. 18, 2011

Say, is it just me or does the text speed stuff in the Mother 1 part of M1+2 not seem to actually change text speed at all?

Mother Bound said on Feb. 18, 2011

@Mato: It’s referring to ONLY the text that’s found in battle mode, to speed up the battles. If it’s possible, you could probably try to hack it so that it refers to all text. Anyway, anything besides the Japanese text and censored graphics should be left alone.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 18, 2011

I’m leaning towards this too. I don’t want any version of this game to use NoA’s names. That would just make me sad.

Mato said on Feb. 18, 2011

Mother Bound: It doesn’t seem to change battle text speed for me either, but maybe I’m not doing it right or something.

DBlue said on Feb. 18, 2011

@Mato
That’s interesting… It does only change in battle text. One would think that it should change ALL text.
And, I think I have to agree with The Great Morquil and Mother Bound, because the graphics and story sections being edited for the less is a bit disappointing, while changing the actual game (the caves?) is probably part of Itoi’s intentions; that doesn’t necessarily detract from anything.

tintinophile691 said on Feb. 18, 2011

Mato, if you seriously intend to remove the altered ending and stuff like that, you might as well remove the Easy Ring as well. ‘Cause I think both features enhance the game.

The point is, if you want it to be as close to the original Japanese version as possible, maybe you shouldn’t add the Easy Ring.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 18, 2011

Isn’t there dialogue censorship in M1+2? I know that the strip club in Thanksgiving was removed for the English version, and I think M1+2 uses that censored dialogue. Also, there was another change they used (not censorship, though: the guitarist’s song about the location of the melodies.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 18, 2011

@ DBlue: It’s Mor-GIL! Not quil.

@linkdude20002001: The strip club was in the English EB0. I remember being shocked first time i saw it. I dunno, know about the guitar guy’s song, though.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 18, 2011

The Text Speed doesn’t change the speed of the text, it changes the delay between an attack, and what damage it does. If you don’t understand, here’s an example.
Speed 5:
Ninten attacks!
Lamp took # damage!

Speed 3:
Ninten attacks!
*Delay of about 1 second*
Lamp took # damage!

So, if you think about it, it’s really a “delay” rather than a speed. 5 is no delay, and it increases by about a half a second each time you go down one number.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 18, 2011

On a side note, does Mother 1 allow lower cased letters or is it just all caps as in the screen shot of Ninten’s name up there?

Ross said on Feb. 18, 2011

@DJMankiwitz
He said before (don’t remember where) that we could use lower case, and that he was just using an old save file.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 18, 2011

@DJMankiwitz
In the original M1, you could only use uppercase. But Mato is going to hack in a lowercase font for us. Ain’t he great? 🙂

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 18, 2011

Ah! Thank you.

gBev said on Feb. 18, 2011

If you’re already re-translating the game, leaving the graphics censored and town names changed seems to be stepping back from that a bit.

As for actual ‘improvements’ such as the melody animation and map changes, I’d say those are far enough off from the core game text to be left alone.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 19, 2011

I have always hated ALL CAPS LOCK names ever since Pokemon Blue.

Eric said on Feb. 19, 2011

The graphics should be uncensored absolutely, but at the end of the day, it’s the translation that matters most. The censorship can remain, as long as I can play Mother in English as it was meant to be.

Phil L said on Feb. 19, 2011

I’ve got an idea regarding the intro text, though I think that most people probably won’t like it.

In order to get that last line to show without having to push the paragraphs together, you could probably just remove some select words (without changing the meaning) to effectively shorten the text JUST ENOUGH that it all fits on screen.

The last paragraph reads, “As for Maria, his wife… she never returned.” Because it was already established that Maria and George were married, the sentence could theoretically become, “As for Maria… she never returned.” That right there removes eight character spaces from the text (though that alone wouldn’t be quite enough to fix the problem.)

A more extreme text change (that would certainly work) could be changing the following:

“He never told anyone where he had been or what he had done.”

To:

“He never revealed the true nature of the incident.”

Or something of that sort. I believe that such a change keeps the same meaning of the original text while trimming it down enough to fit.

Again, this is just a suggestion.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

Going with Phil L’s idea, here’s my suggestion for intro text (it will fit because it’s 19 lines long):
——————————————————
In the early 1900s, a dark
shadow covered a small
country town in rural
America. At that time, a
young couple vanished
mysteriously from their home.

The man’s name was George,
the woman’s name was Maria.

Two years later, George
reappeared. He never told
anyone where he had been or
what he had done. But, he
began an odd study, all by
himself.

As for Maria, his wife…
she never returned.
——————————————————
I just cut one word out, and that made all the difference. The story is basically the same, except for one little detail. I cut out the word “married” in “young married couple”, but the last line “As for Mariam his wife…” says that they’re married.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

Oops, I meant “Maria”, not “Mariam”. My mistake.

Mato said on Feb. 19, 2011

Started on the naming screen stuff a few hours ago, it’s gone pretty well so far. Here’s what it looks like right now:

One slight side effect that I don’t personally like but isn’t a huge deal is that the screen that asks you your favorite food uses the same windows as the other stuff:

I don’t think it’s a big enough of a deal to bother trying to work around (it’d be a lot of work), I kinda wish I knew how to add the dinner plate+question mark sprite in there from EB, but oh well.

Next I gotta mess with the input area, the “invalid name” window, and the list of names you’re not allowed to input.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 19, 2011

Lol @ what you put for Fav. Food!

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

Also, Mato, don’t forget to translate the options at the bottom right of the naming screen! You know, the options to go to the next character and previous character.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

One more thing, Mato. Which font are you using? MTO #1? Whichever you’re using, I can give you a suggestion for the naming screens (where to put the letters and such).

Mother Bound said on Feb. 19, 2011

I would recommend just having the white space empty, like this:
Or, if that’s somewhat off balance, try this:

Also, “invalid name” window? List of names that aren’t allowed? Explain.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 19, 2011

^All three MOTHER games do not allow you to name one of your party members the same name as a NPC. For example in MOTHER 3 you probably couldn’t name Kumatora “Tessie” or “Bronson”

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

^ Actually, that’s incorrect, Anouki. In Mother 3, I named Flint “Matt” and there’s an NPC named Matt.

Mother Bound said on Feb. 19, 2011

Oh. I did have this one moment when playing EB0 where I thought Ana was Pippy. Yeah, I know, I know.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 19, 2011

It applies in some Mother games, but I don’t think it applies in Mother 3, due to that.

Mato said on Feb. 19, 2011

Mother 3 had a tiny list, basically if you named Kumatora or Duster one of their alternate names that get used later then the game recognizes it and does some magic. I can’t remember if Mother 2 has similar checks or not.

Caleb, Of Asui said on Feb. 20, 2011

What I want is an uncensored, retranslated version, but keep in the things from EarthBound Zero that were added, such as the melody-learning animation and the new ending sequence.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 20, 2011