PSI Piano Omega
Over the past few days I managed to get a little bit of stuff done on the M1+2 project, and the to-do list gets smaller and smaller. Some of the recent stuff I got done is:
- Fixed the stairs glitch I caused in the Halloween hotel
- Fixed the crystal animation at the XX stone, copying the graphics straight from the Famicom version of Mother 1 caused this
- Fixed some ending graphics to match the rest of the uncensored stuff
- Special text inserter handles spaces properly now, this will help when other people translate the game into other languages or when people make hacks using these tools down the line
- Extended the box for enemy names in battle, allowing for an extra letter in enemy names – I’d like to make this even better by adding a space between enemy names and their letters, but I dunno yet.
- Undid a weird thing that the GBA programmers did that automatically changed the comma character to a Japanese-style comma character. That’s why all past screenshots have a weird comma.
- Fixed/modified/re-undid the graphical text used during the credits – this turned out to be a huge pain because the entire ending is one giant script, so I had to do a lot of repointing and tile hunting. I didn’t have to redraw any graphics though, because the tiles used in the EB0 credits are still in the ROM, they were just unused. If there’s still any doubt the EB0 prototype ROM was fan-made, then this (and other similar stuff I’ve run across) should prove that the EB0 ROM was legit and made by Nintendo.
- Fixed a weird graphic glitch caused just before the final boss
- Fixed a strange music glitch I somehow caused to happen during the ending
- Started hacking the intro text, haven’t retranslated it yet. The EB0 intro text can’t even fit on the entire screen though, as you can see
- Hacked the “-tachi” thing to say “‘s party” whenever you have other people in your party (see screenshot above if that makes no sense
I’m still working on choosing a final font, the font topic from a few days ago got real big real fast. A bunch of cool people posted their suggested fonts and I tried them out. The one I’m currently leaning toward is the one used in the intro screenshot up above, possibly with some modifications. It seems to be popular among many of the commenters too. The bold numbers look strange in that screenshot, but most of the time numbers are used in stat windows and such, not in regular text.
With the realization that there were multiple map changes between MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero (which were carried over to MOTHER 1+2), I’ve started to wonder what the specific goal of this patch should be. Should it be to keep absolutely everything according to Itoi’s original intent, whether it’s graphics, text, maps, etc.? Or should it be to simply make a translation of the MOTHER 1 version of MOTHER 1+2 that’s as close to a professional, legitimately localized version as possible, with a few simple added features, to try to get fans and sideline fans to experience the game all the way through? People seem to be split on this issue (example), so it’s tough to decide.
At first, the two goals seemed like they were the same, but little by little they’ve been going separate ways. If I were to try to keep everything according to Itoi’s original intent so that fans can have a really good source to experience and analyze, then what about stuff like the ending? The original game didn’t really have an ending, just the credits. And what about the “learning a melody” animation? That wasn’t in the original, either. I’d have to take all that stuff out, which seems weird and would be pretty tough.
So I’m thinking that maybe it’d be best to make this patch exactly like the Japanese version of MOTHER 1+2 content-wise, and maybe someday someone can start a project to translate the MOTHER 1 Famicom ROM into English if fans want to experience the true original intent of everything. I’m still not sure, though. Releasing two separate patches is another idea, but it gets really cumbersome trying to maintain multiple patches, so maybe I can release one as the main patch that I’ll update from time to time, and release the other one with it but not maintain it.
If you guys got any suggestions, lemme know. For now, I’ll just keep trucking through the to-do list.
Other Related Posts:
79 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 17)
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...