February 13th, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

Got some time to work on some more stuff today. First, I finished up the selection screen stuff thanks to a few helpful site visitors. Many thanks, I’ll be sure to add you guys to the readme! Now I can cross those off of the to-do list.

Next on the list was font-related stuff. I’ve been dreading this for a long time, but I figured it was finally time to deal with it. I’ve always hated the font built into MOTHER 1 (and EB0), it looks nice when used sparingly but is hard on the eyes when reading lots of text. I can’t implement a VWF like EarthBound and the MOTHER 3 fan translation use, so that means I have to use an 8×8 fixed-width font. Actually, it needs to be more like only 7 pixels tall to give some blank space between lines of text.

Anywho, I tried experimenting with a few different fonts. Let me know which one looks best and would be easiest to read for the whole game.

EarthBound Font
This is basically the EarthBound font, slightly modified to fit into 8×8 tiles and adjusted so that each letter is sort of in the center of its tile. I like how it gives the EarthBound feel to the game, but I’m not fond of how it makes long lines of text look.

EarthBound Mini Font
EarthBound has a little 8×8 fixed width font of its own – most people don’t notice it but it’s used in the status screens and such, where the character names go. I tried it out in the MOTHER 1+2 ROM, here’s what it looks like:

Generic 8×8 Font
I imported an 8×8 font that was supposedly used in another game (not sure which one) to see how it’d look with a more standard 8×8 font. Here are the results:

Do any of these fonts look better than the others? Do you know of any 8×8 fixed-width fonts that would look better than any of these? Let me know so I can finally figure out what to do with this font madness ๐Ÿ˜›

POLL: Which 8x8 font here do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

135 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 13)

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 13, 2011

The generic 8-bit font looks like the coolest to me…
The EB font kinda clashes together in some parts and the mini font looks strange next to the letters.

Linka said on Feb. 13, 2011

Let’s have the mini-Earthbound font! No offense to people who like the generic font that tends to appear in game translations like this, but it’s always looked a bit awkward and clunky to me.

The mini-Earthbound font at least looks it’s fairly clean, and matches the feel of the game. ๐Ÿ™‚

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 13, 2011

…though to be honest, even the 8bit font used here looks kinda off. Something about it… I can’t really put my finger on it.

Tina said on Feb. 13, 2011

I like the mini EB 8×8 one the most, it’s the easiest to read and looks the best (or at least in my opinion). I’ve never been a big fan of blocky and bold fonts, myself.

Halloween said on Feb. 13, 2011

Hmm… (again)
You’re definitely right about needing blank space between lines of text. Out of the 3, I voted for the generic font.

A sans-serif font is key IMO. Is there any way you can find one that looks like the Pokemon font? Like the generic font up there, but thinner, but not as thin as the first two choices.

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2011

Dunno, do you have a link to the Pokemon font?

I looked through a lot of fonts, but there’s not a whole lot you can do with 8×8. There are a few other thick fonts like that third one, and the only thin ones that I saw that looked at least someone decent were ones that looked like the Link’s Awakening font. I dunno if Mother text would look good with a slanted font, though.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 13, 2011

I have a suggestion for a generic 8bit font.
That’s the original font used in the famicom version. (the lowercase letters are unused in the prototype). I like the look of the uppercase letters, though the lowercase could use some work.

That’s only if you decide to go with an 8 bit font. A lot of people seem to be more fond of the small font, though I would be curious to see how the small font numbers would look instead of the 8bit numbers, since the two look a bit strange together.

NekoKnight said on Feb. 13, 2011

I’ve always kinda liked the font used in the Dragon Warrior games for the GameBoy Color. You might wanna give it a whirl. But don’t wrack your brain too hard over this, just choose whatever font YOU like. It’s the translation that really counts.

Covarr said on Feb. 13, 2011

The modified Earthbound font is no good, there’s simply not enough vertical spacing to get away with it; when letters touch the letters directly above and below them, it’s too tall.

The mini EB font looks very nice, but it’s a bit hard to read, similar to the font you were using before.

Even though the generic 8-bit font doesn’t look quite as PRETTY as mini EB, it’s close, and it’s by far the most READABLE. In my opinion, readability should be the number one factor, and the generic font EASILY wins in this regard, and so it gets my vote.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I edited a few of the lowercase letters, though I think I liked the old “a” better…

anyways, just a suggestion, since I always like how this font looked, but I don’t know how it would look in-game.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I did a little mockupping and I can honestly say that mixing the lowercase font used in your last set if screenshots (the 8bit ones) and the capital letters from the original Famicom version, you can make a font that, in my opinion, looks VERY nice on screen. Thuogh I’ve admittedly only made a few words using a combo of the two (Ninten’s name and the Gang Member’s name) but both looked nice using a mix of the two.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 14, 2011

God, I’m so sorry for the massive amount of comments (an edit button would really help…)
but I have a mockup.
It may not look like much of a difference between this and the one used in your screenshots, but I can’t help but feel this looks… nicer.

I got really excited about how nice I thought it looked actually, but that’s just my opinion.
I’ll probably end up making more mock-ups later, just to see how it looks with main text.

meleemario said on Feb. 14, 2011

I agree with Covarr on this one, Readability is all that really matters when it comes to a good in-game font. so the generic font wins for me also, but I wouldn’t use the generic 8×8 font, i’d use a not so bold variant of it. Just strive for a font that is easy to read though, none of the fonts presented here do it though. I like the idea of Halloween’s idea of using the Pokemon font though.

Halloween said on Feb. 14, 2011

I took screenshots of the Pokemon naming screen; I don’t know what it takes to put the font in a game so someone cooler than me could make it happen:

I also found a .fnt file that is supposed to be a bitmap 8×8 Pokemon font, don’t know if that’s useful.

Dlakii said on Feb. 14, 2011

The generic 8-bit is easily the best, but at the same time it still looks pretty dreadful. As an alternative, I recall a while back in your earlier regular work on it, someone suggested the font from Pokรฉmon Red/Blue, and someone then made a mockup screen of how it’d work that actually looked quite nice (imo, better than it did in Pokรฉmon itself!). That’s definitely a reasonable possibility, and if some sort of rationalisation is needed there’s always the APE/Creatures connection between the two games.

…And I see that some people’ve already suggested it. Eh, one more voice of support won’t hurt now, will it? ๐Ÿ˜›

Tonch said on Feb. 14, 2011

From the three you proposed here, I’d say the EB Mini font.
The third one is okay too I suppose, although it looks strange to me for some reason.

But the first, long EB font is out of the question for me, you’re right in that it makes paragraphs look weird.

Captain Bozo said on Feb. 14, 2011

Tomato, you’re probably traumatized, but on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard would a variable width font hack be in the game? Because I personally think that the mini-Earthbound font would look fantastic if it was spaced variably :3

SPZ said on Feb. 14, 2011

I voted for the EarthBound mini font, too.

The first has the letters too apart from one another.

The second one’s spacing is the same as the first, but since the letters are shorter, it doesn’t look as bad.

The letters in the third one look too fat.

8BitWalugi said on Feb. 14, 2011

I voted for Earthbound Small, but after seeing the G/S/C font again, I’d go for that.

KingDarian said on Feb. 14, 2011

The mini EarthBound font seems to fit the best. The larger EarthBound font is too tall, and the lines of text blend into one another, making them harder to read. The third one is easy on the eyes, but I prefer the EarthBound vibe the second one is giving.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I really like the font used in Final Fantasy.

Nintendud said on Feb. 14, 2011

Man, I really wish we could implement a variable width font. Have you given up on a VWF because it’s more difficult to implement than in Mother 3, or because the VWF hacking in Mother 3 caused you trauma? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just wondering.

Halloween said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m pretty sure it’s been said numerous times that switching to variable width fonts would be difficult, time-consuming, and no fun to hack into the game. I think it all comes down to whether you expect the translation to be done any time soon and how much of his psyche you want to be left!
Personally, it’s not a dealbreaker to me. I’ve played through scores of games with monospaced fonts without even taking notice.

Omnomnominous said on Feb. 14, 2011

I kinda like the generic font…even though it isn’t as ‘Earthboundy’, it’s less squished…for some reason the letters seem to be mushed together in the first one…so, in order of preference,
1 – Generic
2 – Earthbound mini
3 – Earthbound

SomeUser said on Feb. 14, 2011

I like the Mini EarthBound font. I’d like the regular (modified into M1+2, of course) EarthBound font more, but the font needs that top pixel chopped off so the lines don’t blend in.

Which might require some more editing on that font >_<

Evan said on Feb. 14, 2011

If I had to pick, the mini EB font. But…am I the only one who likes the original font? 3: Not being a purist!

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m with Omnomnominous. Generic is best, though another font might be better, such as maybe the Final Fantasy font (http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/ff/sheet/21641).

Zeromus said on Feb. 14, 2011

Oh wow, I love when I stay away from the site for a few weeks and so much progress has been made. The mini-earthbound font seems to fit the dialogue boxes better to me. Thanks Mato for bringing Mother 1 uncensored to us and with a true translation the way it was intended. I quit at duncan’s factory so this will be like playing this game for the first time.

Qiezei said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m more for the generic font. It’s just a lot easier on the eyes than the Earthbound fonts.

Darien said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m partial to the mini EB font. The generic font looks like everything’s boldfaced, which makes it appear cluttered and distracts the eye, in the combat shots, from the larger (and more important) numbers.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m not really a fan of either of those three, but i suppose if i had to choose, i’d go with the mine font. With the regular EB font, i think the lines are too close together and that effects the readability. The generic font i don’t like how heavy it is. It’s too hard on the eyes. The mini font doesn’t have those problems but on the other hand it may be almost too small. If there was maybe something between the regular and mini EB fonts then i think that would work best.

Labrynian Rebel said on Feb. 14, 2011

On an unrelated note I think “Teddy Junior III” would look nicer and not overlap to a second line. Having “3rd” on it’s own line looks ugly.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Feb. 14, 2011

The modified mini-Earthbound font looks the best.

man said on Feb. 14, 2011

Yeah, I’m going to be honest here, but reading the Mini EB font is giving me a headache. The spacing between letters are just too large.

anders_ said on Feb. 14, 2011

Noooo, anything but the Pokรฉmon font! ๐Ÿ˜›

I think the mini-EB font is the best; if the numbers could be made lighter to match, even better.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

Personally, I’d rather keep the numbers looking how they already are, thinner ones would be harder to read when you’re trying to look at stats quickly or whatever. I did a really really old hack of EB0 where I changed the font (including the numbers) to use thinner letters and the numbers were the main thing that really bugged me about it.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 14, 2011

Mini-EB font is too small, and the modified EB font is hard on the eyes. The generic font is really big, and may look weird, but it looks better than the others. One thing though, Mato. Could you please put the Final Fastasy text in and post a screenshot of what it would look like?

nemryn said on Feb. 14, 2011

I like the second one. (The EB-derived 8×8)

Seifer said on Feb. 14, 2011

Anything but the unmodified EB font looks fine. I’d actually be okay with inserting the original EB0 font, too.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 14, 2011

^ Same here. I’m ok with inserting the original font. The only of those three fonts that look good is the generic, in my opinion.

tapioca said on Feb. 14, 2011

this is what you get when you make the mini-earthbound font wider like the third font. it’s my favorite.

SPZ said on Feb. 14, 2011

I like tapioca’s font suggestion.

Skye said on Feb. 14, 2011

Imo the generic is the easiest to read text with.

man said on Feb. 14, 2011

That’s great tapioca!

Steven said on Feb. 14, 2011

I think the generic 8×8 font matches best with the font used in the original Mother cart. It is a little bit bold though. Maybe lighten the font colour just a tiny bit?

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

Can’t really change the color without changing every white used in the game.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 14, 2011

Put me down for the “mini-font”. It’s a GBA game, so the smaller font helps things fit better as those screen shots demonstrated. Plus, it’s still from Earthbound so it still gives an Earthbound feel. Too bad that you can’t do variable width, but actually that does help cement a “retro” feel for this 8-bit game so yeah it works. The Earthbound normal font looks nice, but takes up too much space to me.

The “generic” font is, well, too generic, as well as a little too bulky. While it may look more like Mother 1’s English font, that was never widely used in the original game anyway, so asking for that would mean I might as well just learn Japanese and play the original Famicom cart if I wanted it THAT authentic. It’s a translation, it’s better off with a font that makes English more readable.

Eric said on Feb. 14, 2011

Considering the strict limitations imposed by 8×8 tiles, the mini font looks fantastic. The modified EB font is too tall (the vertical spacing between lines is non-existent) and the generic font seems a bit too bulky.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 14, 2011

I thought I’d add that the big thing about that font is it gives the game some much needed character that a “generic” font lacks, which is important I think for Mother/Earthbound. I prefer some serifs for that reason. I know this would be more work since the numbers are already set up in the Japanese game, but the only problem with the mini-font to me is that they look a bit big and as such “off” with that font. If you could use mini-font sized numbers based on the look of the numbers in Earthbound I think that would be a perfect fit, but I’m not sure how hard it would be to alter the existing numbers as well as the text font.

EB_Master said on Feb. 14, 2011

I like the mini8x8 the most. The basic Earthbound font does indeed look odd when used a lot, and the “everything is bold now!” look to the generic font is very unappealing.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

Some of the suggestions are pretty good, so here’s the font file – this particular one uses the mini EB font.

If you have a font you think would look good, feel free to edit this file and post it here so I can put it back into the game and try it out.

One I’m especially interested in is the bolder version of the mini EB font, except I don’t know how to draw them all myself.

Anyway, it’ll help me out a lot and save me a lot of time if you can put your font suggestions into the font file, just be sure to save it as a PNG or BMP and keep all the colors and dimensions the same.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

BTW, I mentioned it before, but doing a VWF in this game is possible but would literally require rewriting ALL of the text display stuff in the game from 100% scratch. So it’s not really an option. It’s basically the same reason you almost never see a variable width font in any NES games, the text system uses a specific hardware mode made specifically for 8×8 text.

SomeUser said on Feb. 14, 2011

I personally like fixed-width/monospace fonts.
Dunno why, though.

Ryusui said on Feb. 14, 2011

I kinda think the original Earthbound Zero font would work best, personally.

BTW, is this going to use EBZ’s script, or is it an actual retranslation? I’m curious. Also, will he be Giegue, Giygas or the original Gyiyg?

Ross said on Feb. 14, 2011

Retranslation, IDK about Gyiyg/Giegue/Giygas choice, and I kinda agree w/ you, Ryusui!

liarxagerate said on Feb. 14, 2011

The two EB versions look kind of strange in fixed-width form, like the tracking/kerning is broken. I think the generic is probably the way to go.

tapioca said on Feb. 14, 2011

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w5qfeg.png here you go. what’s capitol M look like in the tall font? i’m not sure if i did it right or not.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

Ryusui: retranslation, still on the fence about naming issues.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I’m working on editing that image with the Final Fantasy font. I’ll post it once I’m done. ^^

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

Here’s tapioca’s latest font in action:

Here’s one of PsiWolf674’s really early ones in action, sounds like it’s been improved afterward but I don’t have it to work off of.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 14, 2011

I only inserted the uppercase font, I think the lowercase font that you used in the generic 8bit font would look nice alongside this.

Combined they make a font that doesn’t look very different from your generic 8bit font you used at all, but I always thought the 8bit uppercase letters from the famicom version were nice.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 14, 2011

Here’s the Final Fantasy font. I hope I did it correctly. If not, fixing it should be easy.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 14, 2011

Just as you make a post… now I have to make another comment.

The one made by tapioca is nice, though some letters like the lowercase ‘m’ look a littole too thick.

My font (the unused prototype font), looks OK, but some of the lowercase letters look a little too small.

I like both equally to be honest…

MG said on Feb. 14, 2011

I like the generic 8×8 font the most. The others just look too thin and are harder to read with my bad eyes.

Bendario said on Feb. 14, 2011

Tapioca’s font is nice, and easy on the eyes, but PsiWolf’s looks “nicer,” to be honest.

Of course, I’ve always liked the Final Fantasy font, myself, so I’d naturally recommend that.

unnoticedninja said on Feb. 14, 2011

I prefer either Tapioca’s or PsiWolf’s, as they both seem to fit well with the numbers.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2011

linkdude: I’m trying your font right now, but there are a few problems with it. Sometimes your letters aren’t 8×8 so it throws off all the other letters, see how the capital K and the lowercase k aren’t lined up in your pic, for example. Also, the things above the m n and o have had one pixel row erased. If you can fix things up I’ll take some screenshots for you.

tapioca said on Feb. 15, 2011

psiwolf: i like yours, you should make lower cases to go with it. ;o

mato: here’s another using apple kid as a base instead of the mini-font if you want to try it out too: http://i51.tinypic.com/javoev.png

Labrynian Rebel said on Feb. 15, 2011

PsiWolf67’s font looks nice ๐Ÿ™‚

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 15, 2011

Well, I voted mini font, because Apple Kid and the other one weren’t all that good for the game textwise, and I think mini font makes it look modern, and classic at the same time.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 15, 2011

Alright,I fixed it up. If there are any more problems, let me know.

MT0 said on Feb. 15, 2011

How about some of these fonts? I originally made them in Tile Layer Pro for EB0, and they look quite nice ingame. I don’t know how they’ll fare in the GBA port, but I thought I’d share them. I’m particularly fond of the first two fonts.

(Google’s added a bunch of crap to the URLs for those pictures, but they’ll save as normal image files.)

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 15, 2011

Question Mato. What kind of font did you use for Mother 3? Why don’t you edit that font to be a FWF and insert it into M1?

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2011

We used EarthBound’s font for Mother 3. As you can see, it doesn’t look so great as a FWF.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 15, 2011

Oh, ok.

KingMike said on Feb. 15, 2011

Huh. The “Generic” font I don’t think is generic. More like 16-bit Square Font. Used in FF2 (NES proto), FF2 (US), FFMQ, US CT, FF6 (Japan), FFA for GB, FFL3.

I also would vote against using the EB font in Mother 1. Might look better if you modify it to fill most of the empty space (except of course, characters like i and l).

I actually don’t mind the original font.
I like the unused bold EB0 font.

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2011

Here’s a bunch more, let me know what you guys think:

Final Fantasy 1 Font

Tapioca’s Apple Kid Font

MT0 Font #1

MT0 Font #2

MT0 Font #3

MT0 Font #4

MT0 Font #5

MT0 Font #6

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2011

KingMike: I called it generic because I didn’t really know where it came from, I got it from an 8×8 font archive from Zophar’s. It looks familiar though so it’s probably one of the ones you mentioned.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 15, 2011

That Applekid font is really starting to grow on me. Again, it’s just a matter of one that displays well and also has a bit of character. “Generic” fonts just don’t fit well to me. That said, I don’t think I’d want Mr. Saturn as the default font :D.

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2011

Personally I’m leaning toward MT0 #1 or MT0 #6, though they each have their little quirks that seem strange, like the f in #1 and the s in #6.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 15, 2011

I like the MTO#3 a lot. When looking at the screen with the Final Fantasy Font, i cringed in horror when i saw that weird looking character at the end of a line, not realizing at first that it was a ‘g’. I do not like that font for that.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I like a bunch of those fonts! ๐Ÿ˜€
The Final Fantasy font has some odd spacing for certain letters. I’ll see if I can fix it. Actually, I should be able to test it out myself, now that I think about it. I’ll work on improving it. ^_^

Anonymous said on Feb. 15, 2011

Between fonts 1 and 6, 1 definitely.

1 just looks better.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I say MTO #6 looks best. It looks REALLY good! ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous said on Feb. 15, 2011

IMO, in 6 the lowercse letters are too tall and it makes it look cluttered. 1 looks better because it looks neat and clean. But of course in the end it’s up to Mato.

linkdude20002001 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I agree. Six looks bad.

Anyhow, here’s the Final Fantasy font with what should be perfectly spaced letters. I lowered, the g and j so they don’t look as funny. Hopefully it’ll look good.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 15, 2011

My opinions-
MTO #1: Good. #2: Too skinny. #3: Good. #4: Too small. #5: Too big. #6: Good.

Ricky said on Feb. 15, 2011

Applekid ftw

rotschleim said on Feb. 15, 2011

Here’s a heavily modified version of the font used in various Natsume titles (Rune Factory, Lufia, etc.) that I thought looked good. They’re screenshots from the NES version, so I’m not entirely sure if it’ll look good in the GBA version as well.

Ross said on Feb. 15, 2011

I’m in love with Tapioca’s Applekid font!

Mother Bound said on Feb. 15, 2011

Now that I see new screenshots, I gotta go with Tapioca’s Applekid font. Not only is it easy on the eyes, but it actually matches the game in my opinion.

BTW Mato, I read an EarthBound wiki that stated that you would use the graphics from the canceled EB0 remake in this project. Is this true or not?

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 15, 2011

@ rotschleim: Wow, those look really good. I am now liking that over anything else posted so far.

MT0 said on Feb. 15, 2011

It’s really nice to see them in action. I had no idea what they would look like in the smaller text windows. For the most part, the look great.

What I did to get Lucida Console (#6) was turn off text smoothing in Windows, type the characters into Notepad, take a screenshot, paste it in Paint and zoom in 8x.

That lowercase S is just as it is when I do that. I agree it looks wierd, but I was trying to be as accurate as possible.

If you have any suggestions about the lowercase F in #1, or any other suggestions about any other characters/fonts, I’ll see what I can do to change them.

Also, I said #5 and #6 were just for fun โ€” I didn’t seriously intend for them to be used.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 15, 2011

MT0 Font #3 looks like the best to me, but the lowercase ‘t’ looks weird with the tip of it sticking up like that by a pixel. I think you should flatten it.

Also, I was creating a lowercase 8bit font to go with the uppercase letters I posted about, but there’s so many better fonts now…

I’ll still post it here in a minuete for the hell of it I guess.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I looked again and I say I actually like MT0 font1 the best. But as with the 3rd one, the lowercase ‘t’s looked a bit off, so I edited them to show what i meant. compare to the original.
(not a big change at all, just a little tweak suggestion)

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I’m sorry for a THIRD comment in a row, but I just wanted to say that even though I edited the ‘t’, I think it looks really nice even without that edit.

Eric said on Feb. 15, 2011

Fonts 1 and 3 look good. I also really like 6, though the lowercase S looks a bit like a 5. Easily fixed, though.

MT0 said on Feb. 15, 2011

I think I actually like the T’s better without that one pixel. I may have had them like that at one point and I’m not sure why I changed my mind.

I’ve updated the fonts on my site. The lowercase T’s have been tweaked in fonts 1 through 4. I’ve also tweaked the lowercase F’s in fonts 1 and 2 โ€” would these be more to your liking, Tomato?

rotschleim said on Feb. 15, 2011

@The Great Morgil – Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚ I actually need to tweak them a little bit for Mother, but that’s the font I used for my Lufia: The Legend Returns text cleanup patch. It’s nice and readable and fits into the 8×8 space decently. I did steal some letters from the Dragon Warrior GBC games–which in turn stole the font from Pokemon. :p

Tonch said on Feb. 16, 2011

MTO # 3 looks mighty fine to me.
I’ll also have to toss out a definite “no” on the Final Fantasy font.

Mato said on Feb. 16, 2011

Spent most of my free time this afternoon trying to fix up some ending credits stuff, so didn’t get any more time for the font stuff yet. Also having to fix stuff because eBay changed stuff and it’s made this site look crazy tonight ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anyway, I’ve been wondering for a long time – what exactly is the “in ill’s of is the” text in the font area for? It’s clearly custom text for something special, but I can’t tell where. It seems familiar though.

KingMike said on Feb. 16, 2011

I noticed MTO #5 was the DOS font.
I was going to use that in an NES translation I was working on, but then decided not to. Too reminiscent of Color Dreams. ๐Ÿ˜›
I had inserted the Tales of Phantasia GBA 8×8 font (US, and the necessary-uglier EU font ๐Ÿ˜› ), and I think it looked pretty good as an alternate.
But I’d say #1 is the better of the MTO fonts.

blahmoomoo said on Feb. 16, 2011

MT0 font 1 looks the best to me. Font 3 looks a little short and font 6 looks tall with most characters looking like they are trying to push their way out of their allocated space (it reminds me of using variable width font in an environment originally designed for fixed width font, where part of the tops and bottoms of characters get cut off… which looks ugly).

None of the other fonts really appeal to me, especially the bold ones. The bold fonts feel out of place… Bold numbers are fine as they are, but the other letters being bold does not feel like Mother at all…

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

I just realized how similar Tapiocaโ€™s Apple Kid font is to the Final Fantasy font. O_o

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 16, 2011

I’m seeing that the suggested fonts are going to be used, so I’d like to see MT0 Font #1.

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

I like rotschleim’s font the best so far. I’m going to make a file for the Pokemon font because I want to see what that looks like.

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

There we go! I ripped it directly from the Pokemon Silver ROM, so there shouldn’t be any problems. I don’t know if there’s any differences between this font and the ones in Red/Blue/Yellow/Crystal. The font was also used in Wario Land 3.

If anyone wants the original font for whatever reason, here it is, ripped from Pokemon Silver. (There are letters from other European languages, too!)

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

Also, make sure you copy and paste the links. I guess geocities still doesn’t allow direct linking.

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

Whoops. Don’t forget to remove the second dot from the first URL either. Haha.

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

I was bored, so I made a mockup of what it would probably look like in the game. (used imgur this time)

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 16, 2011

Quick question, Mato. Have you solved the issues that arose from the expanded text box, or are you still having issues? Just curious because I have a suggestion for your problem.

Mato said on Feb. 16, 2011

There are many different problems arising from that, they’ll be the hardest and least fun things to fix.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 16, 2011

I totally understand. About when you get healed, my suggestion is to either compress the text box back to where it is in EB0, or just make it disappear. What other kinds of problems do you have besides that?

Anonymous said on Feb. 16, 2011

You can look at the stuff he has left to do on the to-do list.

Douglas said on Feb. 16, 2011

MT0 #6 looks quite good if you take off the sharp edges on the following characters: h s m r n u
example: http://i.imgur.com/fuyB7.png

rotschleim said on Feb. 16, 2011

Here’s an entire font block of my suggestion. I added in international symbols and such.

rotschleim said on Feb. 16, 2011

I forgot to bold the zero, but that’s basically what I wanted it to look like.

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 17, 2011

I don’t think the Final Fantasy font looked that good in Final Fantasy, much less Mother.

Between 1 and 6, I think I prefer 1, but the “rounded” edges in the second version of 6 above make that one look a little better. After looking at all that, I think I’m going to pick Applekid followed closely by 1.

With all these new additions the original poll is kinda meaningless.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 17, 2011

Yeah, the FF font isn’t good now that I see it in action. Font #1 and #6 are good; Apple Kid is too thick, and hard on the eyes.

Linkdude said on Feb. 17, 2011

The Final Fantasy font shown in that last batch of fonts Tomato did, despite me moving things over, still had spacing issues, so it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to. I think five letters were too far to the left.

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 17, 2011

Now that I’m used to looking at it, the EarthBound font doesn’t look so bad. So my font suggestions are:
EarthBound
MTO 1
MTO 6

Mato said on Feb. 17, 2011

I still have a few more to try out, but right now I’m leaning toward MT0’s modified MT0 #1 with some added modifications, like a wider t and f, though I can’t get the f to look quite right. When I get the chance I’ll try out some of the other fonts and then see how they look.

rotschleim: I can’t really try out yours because all the letters are in different spots, and the colors are different ๐Ÿ™

TheZunar123 said on Feb. 17, 2011

Alrighty, Mato! I hope you can finish this soon, I would love to beta test it for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous said on Feb. 17, 2011

Reposting the Pokemon font with a non-broken link.

in game mockup

Anonymous said on Feb. 17, 2011

man i really need a preview post button

rotschleim said on Feb. 17, 2011

@Mato – Okay, I copy/pasted and manually recolored if you’re really interested. The zero is bold this time.

Anonymous said on Feb. 17, 2011

That looks good.

PsiWolf674 said on Feb. 17, 2011

Better late than never?

I’m so sorry this is kinda late. Anyways…
This is the unused prototype from earlier with a custom hand-sprited lowercase set. It may be late since there’s some significantly better fonts now, but I’d still like to see how a traditional 8bit font would look…

ManiacTruck0 said on Feb. 18, 2011

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I’m pleased with how font #1 looks in the intro screenshot on the Feb. 17 update.

Regarding the T and F, this is probably the best I can come up with while staying within the constraints I’ve set for this font.

Let me know what you think.

Mashroomized! said on Feb. 21, 2011

I like the Mr. Saturn font! Here’s a goofy addition that you could do: Mr. Saturn text mode!

YayMii said on Feb. 24, 2011

I honestly think you should go for the Pokรฉmon GB font. It looks fine, especially since it’s already a fixed-width font.
Last year, KingDarian posted screenshots of the font in action. Here they are:
Let’s Start!
Who Are You?
Yummy!
Prologue – take three
This lamp is shady
Battle without quarter

Mato said on Feb. 24, 2011

Honestly, I never really liked that font, there are so many weird little problems with individual letters that I’m kind of surprised it got used. Extra wide r letters, strangely sized d letters compared to other enclosed letters, strange serif-y things on some letters but not others… I could go on and on. It just doesn’t really strike me as the best font for this type of project.

Tommy said on Mar. 3, 2011

I think MT0 #3 is the clearest.

DBlue said on Mar. 8, 2011

Bolder fonts seem easier to read for me. Easier, like easy to stand after many screens. MT0’s fonts are kinda small. The fonts by tapioca are nice.

DBlue said on Mar. 8, 2011

Hmm… I feel the AppleKid font from tapioca looks better in Mother 1; it kinda fits the game like Mother Bound said…

Find Merchandise!