Postcards for EarthBound
Got some time to work on some more stuff today. First, I finished up the selection screen stuff thanks to a few helpful site visitors. Many thanks, I’ll be sure to add you guys to the readme! Now I can cross those off of the to-do list.
Next on the list was font-related stuff. I’ve been dreading this for a long time, but I figured it was finally time to deal with it. I’ve always hated the font built into MOTHER 1 (and EB0), it looks nice when used sparingly but is hard on the eyes when reading lots of text. I can’t implement a VWF like EarthBound and the MOTHER 3 fan translation use, so that means I have to use an 8×8 fixed-width font. Actually, it needs to be more like only 7 pixels tall to give some blank space between lines of text.
Anywho, I tried experimenting with a few different fonts. Let me know which one looks best and would be easiest to read for the whole game.
This is basically the EarthBound font, slightly modified to fit into 8×8 tiles and adjusted so that each letter is sort of in the center of its tile. I like how it gives the EarthBound feel to the game, but I’m not fond of how it makes long lines of text look.
EarthBound Mini Font
EarthBound has a little 8×8 fixed width font of its own – most people don’t notice it but it’s used in the status screens and such, where the character names go. I tried it out in the MOTHER 1+2 ROM, here’s what it looks like:
Generic 8×8 Font
I imported an 8×8 font that was supposedly used in another game (not sure which one) to see how it’d look with a more standard 8×8 font. Here are the results:
Do any of these fonts look better than the others? Do you know of any 8×8 fixed-width fonts that would look better than any of these? Let me know so I can finally figure out what to do with this font madness 😛
Other Related Posts:
135 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Feb. 13)
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.