MOTHER Manga: Believe
Whenever there’s even a slight hint of EarthBound/MOTHER news, sometimes it’s easy to try to read too much into stuff. I think the fan community’s been disappointed so many times by now that a lot of us have gotten numb to it, but it still happens a lot (not that I make things much better 😛 )
This isn’t just a Western thing though – for example earlier this month Japanese boards and sites suddenly lit up with things like:
- Is Shigesato Itoi Developing MOTHER 4? A Meeting with Nintendo Comes to Light
- Is Shigesato Itoi Revving Up to Start the Latest Game in the Series, MOTHER 4?
You can see a bunch of them here.
Anyway, this started a few days back when Itoi ended his daily post with:
Thank you for coming to Hobonichi today. I’m making a quick trip to Kyoto and then returning to Tokyo.
He also said on Twitter:
I’m staying just one night here and going back to Tokyo tomorrow.
In the past, whenever he would say that, it usually (but not always, since he has a second home/weekend home there too) meant he was visiting Nintendo. I was kind of surprised Japanese fans latched onto it. Though I like some of the responses people are saying, like:
- It’s just another bass fishing game
- please hurry and make another game third-rate copywriter
- I say it’s just for gold mining stuff
- Please make Giygas the heroine
- Bass fishing on the 3DS!
- Forget MOTHER, make another Monopoly game!
- Nah, he’s just gonna be on Iwata Asks
- What are you all freaking out about? He has a second home in Kyoto, this isn’t that big of a deal…
I really don’t think any of it points to anything. It might’ve been something with Nintendo, but he’s attended a few funerals in the past couple weeks too, it could very well have been that.
Update: his photo blog says that he was there for work reasons, so it probably was Nintendo-related. But it still seems like a huge stretch for Japanese fans to connect that with a MOTHER 4…
I think the rule of thumb with stuff like this is summed up well here 😛
Other Related Posts:
90 Comments to Japanese MOTHER Fans Get Excited
- Chivi-chivik: Didn’t expect Splatoon to go first, honestly (>ヮ<)
- Leeaux: This is cool. Man it must have taken forever for him to do all these though. Geez! Bless you Tomato! This is all I have while I wait on...
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...