EarthBound in Latest Retro Gamer Magazine
Popular Posts:None found
Whenever there’s even a slight hint of EarthBound/MOTHER news, sometimes it’s easy to try to read too much into stuff. I think the fan community’s been disappointed so many times by now that a lot of us have gotten numb to it, but it still happens a lot (not that I make things much better 😛 )
This isn’t just a Western thing though – for example earlier this month Japanese boards and sites suddenly lit up with things like:
- Is Shigesato Itoi Developing MOTHER 4? A Meeting with Nintendo Comes to Light
- Is Shigesato Itoi Revving Up to Start the Latest Game in the Series, MOTHER 4?
You can see a bunch of them here.
Anyway, this started a few days back when Itoi ended his daily post with:
Thank you for coming to Hobonichi today. I’m making a quick trip to Kyoto and then returning to Tokyo.
He also said on Twitter:
I’m staying just one night here and going back to Tokyo tomorrow.
In the past, whenever he would say that, it usually (but not always, since he has a second home/weekend home there too) meant he was visiting Nintendo. I was kind of surprised Japanese fans latched onto it. Though I like some of the responses people are saying, like:
- It’s just another bass fishing game
- please hurry and make another game third-rate copywriter
- I say it’s just for gold mining stuff
- Please make Giygas the heroine
- Bass fishing on the 3DS!
- Forget MOTHER, make another Monopoly game!
- Nah, he’s just gonna be on Iwata Asks
- What are you all freaking out about? He has a second home in Kyoto, this isn’t that big of a deal…
I really don’t think any of it points to anything. It might’ve been something with Nintendo, but he’s attended a few funerals in the past couple weeks too, it could very well have been that.
Update: his photo blog says that he was there for work reasons, so it probably was Nintendo-related. But it still seems like a huge stretch for Japanese fans to connect that with a MOTHER 4…
I think the rule of thumb with stuff like this is summed up well here 😛
Other Related Posts:
90 Comments to Japanese MOTHER Fans Get Excited
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.