Marcus Lindblom Spills Some EarthBound Secrets
February 13th, 2011 | MOTHER 1
While trying to find a full scan of this really neat MOTHER 1 ad (to no avail 🙁 ) I ran across the Famicom Tsuushin reviews of MOTHER 1 from 1989. Famicom Tsuushin is what we now know as Famitsu.
Anyway, here are their reviews translated into English – you’ll see that a lot of the complaints Western fans have about the game were actually shared by Japanese players too. These come from the August 4-18 1989 issue, incidentally. I don’t have a scan, but if anyone can get one, please let me know!
Tofuya Famibo – 8/10
I think the game has many cons to it, such as poor balance, weak story progression, a map that’s so big that it takes forever to get anywhere… But I also definitely think that this game is a tour de force. Even the story gets exciting in its own way. Plus the music is incredible.
Store Owner Mizuno – 8/10
I played this with great expectations, so the first ten hours or so filled me with disappointment. It brought nothing new to the table; it’s essentially just any other RPG. That said, it’s the last half of the game in which MOTHER shows its true strength. So save your expectations for the latter half.
Mariko Morishita – 8/10
The game takes place in a world in the near future, so it has a very modern feel to it; for example, money you earn is automatically deposited into your bank account, and you use an ATM card to use it. Most RPGs until now are like old stories and fairy tales, so I like the freshness this game has. The monsters in the game are really cute, too.
TACO.X – 7/10
While playing this game, it’s easy to think, “This is all this game has to offer?” but when you finish it, you’ll think, “That was a great game.” It has a touching story. I do have minor complaints about it, but when looked at overall, they’re well within forgivable limits. I like it. The music is a must-listen!
Pretty interesting how they have a lot of complaints about the game but when they’re finished they look back and really like it.
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Famicom Tsuushin MOTHER Review
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...
- Castaway: I bought this right away! Can’t wait for mine to come in. I do have a concern, though. It says my order went through yet I...