Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
February 15th, 2011 | EarthBound
The Smithsonian American Art Museum is going to have a video game exhibit next year, and there’s a site up to vote for which games should make the cut. One of the games is EarthBound, so if you’d like to try to get EarthBound some extra recognition as a video game that’s art, be sure to vote here! Voting ends in a few weeks.
In terms of art and art creation, I always found it neat how EarthBound was one of the earlier Nintendo games to have intentionally stylized graphics (Wind Waker being the most famous example probably), the musicians in the game were both accomplished musicians outside of gaming, the game was written by a famous writer, etc. And it all came together in a neat package.
Anyway, it looks like EarthBound is up against Zelda: A Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger, which probably puts EarthBound squarely in the underdog position. Still, it’s really cool that it’s been nominated in the first place!
Other Related Posts:
69 Comments to EarthBound in a Museum!
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?