Random Post:

MOTHER Manga Scans

February 19th, 2011 | EarthBound, Images

Today I noticed an unusual EarthBound box on eBay:

(auction is here)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before, but it looks kinda of neat. Almost reminds me of what some old game rental stores might’ve done. Anybody know of other custom-made EarthBound boxes like that?

10 Comments to Custom EarthBound Box

SPZ said on Feb. 19, 2011

I don’t know if there are other EarthBound covers like that, but that one comes from the Cover Project.

man said on Feb. 19, 2011

I always liked the robust Megadrive/VHS style cases. I find that people attached more value to them than cardboard boxes, which I think explains why you see more boxed Megadrive carts than loose ones.

Of course, nobody would throw away an Earthbound box. Unless they’re silly in the head.

KingMike said on Feb. 19, 2011

Well my cart lost its box and guide before I got it. 😛

Darien said on Feb. 19, 2011

Yeah, rental joints used to do up boxes like that, as did the occasional retailer (for display copies). Can’t say for sure I ever saw an Earthbound box of that style, but it’d be a prime candidate due to the box’s odd size.

chaobreeder20 said on Feb. 19, 2011

Ive seen these boxes before,its mostly something you see at rental stores but you can order them in large quanities,i have a few,most people use these and print the labels for more display and conivinience value.Other than that there fairly common.

Random guardian said on Feb. 21, 2011

I know that box would make me feel like I was buying a normal game. That would be a bad thing of course :p

man said on Feb. 23, 2011

Actually, I’d quite like to have one of these boxes. Maybe I should get an old Megadrive box and modify it a little so it can fit an NTSC SNES cart. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Random Helpful Guy said on Feb. 27, 2011

To Mr. Man: This case might actually be the same as the one in the picture, and a much easier way to go than hacking up MD cases http://www.racketboy.com/store/featured/universale-game-case.html Real cheap too.

I’m going to guess that it’s either old stock of rental store cases or newly manufactured ones. They look really solid, too.

Pogs said on Mar. 3, 2011

I don’t know how other rental places did it but Blockbuster kept the boxes the way they were as displays. I remember the hugeness of the original EB box was.

Matteomax said on Jul. 4, 2011

These are constantly popping up on eBay every few weeks.