Itoi Watches MOTHER Fan Sites
I had a little bit of free time tonight so I did some quick work on the MOTHER 1+2 translation project. I fixed the final battle menu so that it’s in English now – apparently some of the other existing patches kept it in Japanese on accident.
I also did some quick work with the graphics, mainly just copying the graphics from the Famicom game into the GBA version to undo a lot of the censoring that happened when the game was being translated into the English NES prototype. Here are some befores and afters:
Poor Smokey the Crow
But now he’s smoking again!
These guys look kinda dumb
Now they look at least a tiny bit more like street punks
Whoa, much freakier
The “chateau” where Ana lives
But it’s now a church again! Note the itty-bitty cross on top!
The chateau’s stained glass window…
…is now a cross again, or at least it will be once I fix some stuff
For that last one, I don’t have a screenshot from the original Famicom version to compare to, so I don’t know how it’s supposed to look. It looks like I need to make a map tile change though. If anyone has a screenshot or can get a screenshot of the inside of the church in the original Famicom version, please send it my way or post it here!
Also, I basically just copied 90% of the graphics banks from the Famicom ROM into the GBA ROM, meaning most of the graphics are automatically uncensored without me having to go in and check every little thing – but I get the feeling I’m forgetting some other stuff that was censored out. If you can think of any stuff that was censored out of the NES prototype game or the GBA version, let me know and I’ll take a look at it 😀
Other Related Posts:
65 Comments to Uncensoring MOTHER 1+2
Featured Item on eBay:
Banpresto Earthbound 2 Mr.Saturn Doseisan Super DX Sofubi figure
- Leeaux: I’m commenting just to upvote MightyYT
- MightyYT: Did said cookie come from a gift box you found in the woods near your house? Or did your sister give it to you before you went on an epic...
- Anonymous: Hey swifter, good for you. Do you want a cookie? So Mato, what do you think?
- Icedude545: and minecraft
- Icedude545: Since Nintendo dosen’t make any new games that much anymore I just use my Wii U as a Virtual Console/homebrew machine and a wii