January 21st, 2011 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

I had a little bit of free time tonight so I did some quick work on the MOTHER 1+2 translation project. I fixed the final battle menu so that it’s in English now – apparently some of the other existing patches kept it in Japanese on accident.

I also did some quick work with the graphics, mainly just copying the graphics from the Famicom game into the GBA version to undo a lot of the censoring that happened when the game was being translated into the English NES prototype. Here are some befores and afters:

• Poor Smokey the Crow

• But now he’s smoking again!

• These guys look kinda dumb

• Now they look at least a tiny bit more like street punks

• Rargh! Zombie!

• Whoa, much freakier

• The “chateau” where Ana lives

• But it’s now a church again! Note the itty-bitty cross on top!

• The chateau’s stained glass window…

• …is now a cross again, or at least it will be once I fix some stuff

For that last one, I don’t have a screenshot from the original Famicom version to compare to, so I don’t know how it’s supposed to look. It looks like I need to make a map tile change though. If anyone has a screenshot or can get a screenshot of the inside of the church in the original Famicom version, please send it my way or post it here!

Also, I basically just copied 90% of the graphics banks from the Famicom ROM into the GBA ROM, meaning most of the graphics are automatically uncensored without me having to go in and check every little thing – but I get the feeling I’m forgetting some other stuff that was censored out. If you can think of any stuff that was censored out of the NES prototype game or the GBA version, let me know and I’ll take a look at it :D

65 Comments to Uncensoring MOTHER 1+2

Halloween said on Jan. 21, 2011
/b/ said on Jan. 21, 2011

Why the heck to people censor games?
…..PETA to save the smoking Crow?

8BitWalugi said on Jan. 21, 2011

I feel stupid now. I’m in the middle of playing EB0 for the first time and now (Judging by the looks of things) the M 1+2 patch for M1 will be done soon.

I’ll probably play it after my run with EB0. Good job with the translating again, Mato.

Kafei2006 said on Jan. 21, 2011

The Mother 1+2 patch by another team I found on here already uncensored this game. I played it on my GP2X Wiz to the end and pasted the save file back onto my original cart :P. But the cross had this weird additional square in the lower left corner too. How come ??

PKNuMan said on Jan. 21, 2011

Man, I wish i had a GBA cart so I could play this with the patch :(
Glad this project is moving very smoothly

EBftw said on Jan. 21, 2011

are you going to use the Mother or the Earth Bound names for the cities?

BIgjake52 said on Jan. 21, 2011

Can not wait for mother one to be done,

Mr.Saturn said on Jan. 21, 2011

What about Teddy with a Knife? In club Blaa Blaa.
(Havn’t really played mother 1 for over 2 years now so i’m sorry if it isn’t club Blaa Blaa but the place where Teddy works)

TheZunar123 said on Jan. 21, 2011

There’s a blood stain on Dr. Distorto’s lab coat in M1, just to let you know.

kyoo said on Jan. 21, 2011

I already did all this with mother on the NES rom. but I ran into the same problem with the cross, when you fix it. could you allow me to know how you did it?

TheZunar123 said on Jan. 21, 2011

@Mr. Saturn: It’s called the Live Show, I think. It’s Live something.

Robo85 said on Jan. 21, 2011

All of the female robot enemy’s (Nancy,Juana and Kelly) where censored because it looked like they had nipples. Also a enemy in rosemary manor called shroudly had blood edited out of it’s sprite.

Mato said on Jan. 21, 2011

Got the cross tile arrangement fixed. Now just having trouble restoring the color. I can switch it back to palette 0 instead of palette 1, but that makes it gray instead of brown. I can probably fix that by redrawing the cross myself, but it shouldn’t be necessary. The cross is mysterious indeed.

kyoo: in the EB0 ROM, go to address 17086 and then enter these hex codes: 5C 5D 5E 7F 7F

You’ll probably have the same color problem as me, though.

EDIT: Or wait, it looks like it’s gray in the original after all. If so, then it should be easier to fix now.

Mato said on Jan. 21, 2011

Ooh, looks like I fixed it!

…Or maybe not.

Evan said on Jan. 21, 2011

Mato, thank you so much for doing this. The frequent updates have me giddy like a little school girl. I really want to be able to finally play through this game without it’s grueling difficulty and stale NOA translation. Thank you. THANK YOU.

[...] Article here Permalink [...]

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 21, 2011

I’m so glad your making this translation as much like the original Japanese as possible, keep up the great, I mean, fantastic work!

Cubivore10 said on Jan. 21, 2011

Fanboy logic: Japanese somehow = better game?

ZUUL said on Jan. 21, 2011

kyoo: After changing the bytes that Mato mentioned, be sure to change these to make the cross gray.
17056: Change to 06
1705A: Change to 00
1705E: Change to 3F

Gon said on Jan. 21, 2011

@Cubivore: I think people are just excited to be able to play the game in its uncensored form in English. Not really showing fanboyism.

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 21, 2011

Wow, you guys are really amazing! I wish I could do stuff like this.

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 21, 2011

Sorry for double post, but by “this” I mean ROM hacking.
MATO: If you want to delete this post and edit the last one, go ahead.

Anonymous said on Jan. 21, 2011

If it’s not to much work, perhaps try the gang zombie with blood AND the tie.

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 21, 2011

Character sprite changes: Ninten, Ninten’s mom, Marcie look-a-like, Pig-Pen look-a-like, blue hair/mustache man, red shirt/black pants man, pastor.

Enemy sprite changes: Gang Zombie, Violent Zombie, Bloody Zombie, Dr Distorto, Black Blood Gang, Black Blood Gang’s Boss, Crow, Jane, Caroline, Susie.

Other sprite changes: crosses ON churches, crosses IN churches, tombstones (three kinds), caskets.

Ninji said on Jan. 21, 2011

God bless you Mato. I love where this is going, what if we could get all 3 Mother games fan-translated on 1 ROM? (*fangirl scream!*) That would make me the happiest guy alive :D

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 21, 2011

@Cubivore
Japanese does not equal better game.
Original developer’s intent = better game.

TGP said on Jan. 21, 2011

So wait, if I’m correct…
You’re translating into English a game that was translated from Japanese to English back into Japanese again.

blahmoomoo said on Jan. 21, 2011

Wrong. Mother 1+2 uses the Japanese script from the original game. It just happens that Mother 1+2 borrows the changes that were made when making the unreleased Earthbound Zero. There would be no point in translating the poor unreleased English version back to Japanese; that would have had Japanese fans in an uproar (as such a double translation would be guaranteed to be poorer quality than the original), and it would cost extra to do the pointless translation.

Mato is restoring the censoring changes that were made to Mother 1 in Mother 1+2 (which were the same censoring changes done on Earthbound Zero). I would think that it should feel more like an authentic translation that way, on top of the far improved English translation that Mato is definitely producing. It should feel like playing the original game as intended, with the added bonuses of the Easy Ring (which is optional) and an actual ending (same as Earthbound Zero, I believe, while Mother 1 just had credits scroll without a real ending).

MEG said on Jan. 22, 2011

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I’m really excited!!

Cubivore10 said on Jan. 22, 2011

Earth Bound was perfectly fine as it was. It was translated just fine and had many improvements.

Oh, right, I forgot. A few missing red pixels means the game sucks now and is considerably worse. Right.

psi wolf said on Jan. 22, 2011

^Dude, chill. No one said it sucked because they took the blood out. It’d just be nice to play it uncencored like how the Japanese got to. It’s almost like a little extra.

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 22, 2011

@ Cubivore10
It most certainly was NOT translated “just fine”. That’s the entire POINT of Tomato re-translating it. The un-censoring/un-“changing-to-save-our-asses” is just a bonus! D:

And it’s not just sprites. Some of the censorship caused changes to details in the story. For example, the diary entry says “Where is God’s Tail”. This was censored to “Who has lost his tail?”. God’s Tail is the pink thing that takes Ninten to Magicant, by the way.

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 22, 2011

Also having Gyiyg be Gieuge in one game and Giygas in the second game makes no sense since the only thing that most people will need to make the connection is the name.

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2011

Cubivore10, I understand that you may prefer the changes that NOA made to the game (and thats fine everyone is different) but its not like anybody is going to force you to play this, Mato is not wasting your time or hurting you or anyone else by doing this so why are you complaining?
On a more positive note I’m looking forward to playing this.

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 22, 2011

And Even Mother 2 had it’s share of mistranslations. Tomato’s site, Mother 2 to EarthBound and Back Again, mentioned many such errors.

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2011

Cubivore10: Funny of you to criticise the uncensoring project when you are working on a Monster Party uncensoring project yourself. You seriously can’t see where Mato and everybody else is coming from???

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 22, 2011

I could’ve sworn i remember Tomato saying a long time ago when the project first started that he could only un-censor battle sprites, and that overworld stuff like the church would be impossible. Maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

Sackboy said on Jan. 23, 2011

Awesome! Will MOTHER 2 be uncensored as well? If so, then I’m SO looking forward to play both games the way the original we’re supposed to be from the very beginning!
Keep up with the AWESOME-NESS work Mato! You PSI “ROCKIN”!! x3

LongTimeMotherFan said on Jan. 23, 2011

I’m so excited! I remember playing the Famicon Version and thinking “Why the hell did they change all this?” I’m so glad you’re undoing the damage they did! :)

MT said on Jan. 23, 2011

There is the Shroudley in Rosemary Manor.

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 23, 2011

@ MT
I think I already covered Shroudy. He’s the bloody zombie, Bloody Zombie, right?

Crav said on Jan. 24, 2011

Shroudy, Dr. Distorto, and the gangster zombies (And their palette swap) had blood removed.
Teddy had a knife in his battle sprite.

There used to be a nice site called Magicant that documented all the differences between the games, but it looks like it was recently taken down.

Ice Sage said on Jan. 24, 2011

Actually (and I feel selfish saying this), I was hoping you wouldn’t change Ninten’s sprite. The redone sprite used in the NES translation at least attempted to portray the stripes on his shirt; the original one just looked like he had his shorts pulled up to his armpits. I mean, the sprite wasn’t edited for censorship or anything, it was just remade to look nicer.

Also, will you only be able to use capital letters for the character names, or are they in all caps in these pics for some other reason? It’s kind of distracting to look at, especially with the new text colors for status problems in the menu.

@Cubivore10: Normally I don’t address/acknowledge inflammatory comments, but I really don’t understand why this translation is a bad thing. Mato puts a lot of effort into these projects – one look at the MOTHER 3 patch will tell you that. And maybe it’s just me, but actually getting to play the game with its original graphics and script is a lot more rewarding than just reading about it somewhere, especially because the quality of the translation is excellent. It’s not as though the MOTHER 1+2 translation will prevent you from playing the NES version or something.

Mato said on Jan. 24, 2011

I’m not sure what graphics I want to change and which ones I don’t, right now I’m leaning toward the feeling of “If I’m going to change some, it’d make most sense to change them all” but it’s not set in stone yet.

The names are in all caps because I’m using save files I made at the very start of the project. I still need to go in and change the naming screen so it takes out the Japanese text and adds in better support for English.

Ross said on Jan. 24, 2011

I’d change ‘em all too because it’s the way Itoi intended! :)

Anon said on Jan. 25, 2011

Yeah, but Itoi also intended other names for all the places in the game, and personally I think it would be very annoying if some people talk of Thanksgiving and some others of the “official” english name, Merrysville. Or imagine suddenly climbing Holy Lolly Mountain after about ten years of climbing Mt. Itoi.

Ross said on Jan. 25, 2011

Well, this is a translation, and it’s not based on EB0. There’s another patch that’s based on EB0; try RPGOne’s.

Anon said on Jan. 25, 2011

I know that, but there would be a lot of misunderstanding, at least in my opinion.

shadedmagus said on Jan. 25, 2011

I’m a recent fan of the SNES Earthbound, and after finding this project, I must say I’m tempted to stop my playthrough of Earthbound and wait for this translation so I can play all 3 games in sequence. Would there be any benefit to doing that, or should I go ahead and finish Earthbound then play Mother 1?

TheZunar123 said on Jan. 25, 2011

@shadedmagus
I would say finish EarthBound first. Mato’s translation will probably be a little different from the original EarthBound anyway.

Mato said on Jan. 25, 2011

I don’t know when I’ll be done, so I’d say keep going as you are, or if you want you can always play the EB0 NES prototype first. Personally, I really wish I’d had the chance to play them all in order.

Andy said on Jan. 25, 2011

Hmmm, I wonder…does the RPGOne translation v0.5 you have posted on the site have Japanese menus in the final battle? I would hate to play through the entire game and wind up not being able to finish it, lol.

Mato said on Jan. 25, 2011

I’m pretty sure the final battle menu is still in Japanese. It’s not hard to use though, the Sing command has a note mark next to it, too.

Ice Sage said on Jan. 25, 2011

I played all three in order, and I don’t think you’ll be devastated if you finish EB before EB0. You might miss some overarching plot points and common references that connect the two games at first, but I don’t see it being a problem. And as Mato said, you can just play the NES prototype first if you really want to – in fact, you might want to do that before trying out the translation to see how the prototype differs from the original.

The only thing is to keep in mind that EarthBound perfected a lot of things that were rather unpolished in MOTHER 1 (the menu and item systems come to mind). Try not to be disappointed by the older mechanics, because that puts a lot of people off from finishing it.

Andy said on Jan. 25, 2011

Great thanks. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the work on the translation. I look forward to playing through a polished version of the game!

Ree said on Jan. 25, 2011

Yes, the final battle is in Japanese. (I discovered that firsthand yesterday.) It’s not a problem at all. Mato’s right about the Sing command’s musical note, and you’ll memorize which menu location goes to which submenu long before you reach the endgame.

The post-victory stuff is still in Japanese too, except for one misplaced line. Fortunately Youtube has the endgame video to tide us over until Mato’s translation is ready.

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 26, 2011

@Anon
What you’re saying makes no sense; there’s ALREADY a split fan base for the Mother 1 town names. I own Mother for the FC, and Mother 1+2 for the GBA, so I’ve seen the original names more often than NoA’s names. But even if I hadn’t, I’d still use the original names because their reason for being changed is somewhat stupid.

Though, having a town named after Marysville is pretty cool… ^_^ I guess someone on the translation or localization team must’ve lived there at one point.

Stephen said on Jan. 26, 2011

So when the games got released again they were censored even though they weren’t originally?

If so, will the final version of this patch be completely uncensored like the games were when they first came out?

I’m just curious because I have always wanted to play these games in their original forms…you know…except for the being in English part.

I cant wait to try out the patch! Thanks for all the work!

Ross said on Jan. 26, 2011

Stephen: yes and yes! Mato’s so awesome he’s uncensoring it! WOOT!!!

Mato said on Jan. 26, 2011

Stephen: yeah, basically they just took the EB0 prototype and put the Japanese text back into it. They made a few more changes but that’s pretty much what M1 in M1+2 is.

Stephen said on Jan. 27, 2011

Awesome, well I really can’t wait to try it out. Now I have some new stuff to look forward to in these games!

marcos said on Jan. 29, 2011

what’s your least favrite enime

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 29, 2011

Perhaps Beyblade. Poor guy had to translate it, if I remember correctly.

kyoo said on Mar. 4, 2011

thanks for the tip, sorry for the late response. work has been brutal lately.

Timothy said on Apr. 13, 2012

Why did Nintendo decide to use the EB prototype version for the MOTHER 1 side of Mother 1+2 instead of the Famicom version!