EarthBound + Video Games Awesome Tonight
I had a little bit of free time tonight so I did some quick work on the MOTHER 1+2 translation project. I fixed the final battle menu so that it’s in English now – apparently some of the other existing patches kept it in Japanese on accident.
I also did some quick work with the graphics, mainly just copying the graphics from the Famicom game into the GBA version to undo a lot of the censoring that happened when the game was being translated into the English NES prototype. Here are some befores and afters:
Poor Smokey the Crow
But now he’s smoking again!
These guys look kinda dumb
Now they look at least a tiny bit more like street punks
Whoa, much freakier
The “chateau” where Ana lives
But it’s now a church again! Note the itty-bitty cross on top!
The chateau’s stained glass window…
…is now a cross again, or at least it will be once I fix some stuff
For that last one, I don’t have a screenshot from the original Famicom version to compare to, so I don’t know how it’s supposed to look. It looks like I need to make a map tile change though. If anyone has a screenshot or can get a screenshot of the inside of the church in the original Famicom version, please send it my way or post it here!
Also, I basically just copied 90% of the graphics banks from the Famicom ROM into the GBA ROM, meaning most of the graphics are automatically uncensored without me having to go in and check every little thing – but I get the feeling I’m forgetting some other stuff that was censored out. If you can think of any stuff that was censored out of the NES prototype game or the GBA version, let me know and I’ll take a look at it 😀
Other Related Posts:
65 Comments to Uncensoring MOTHER 1+2
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.