January 30th, 2011 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1

A few years back I had started a neat little personal project to try to recreate EarthBound Zero using the EarthBound ROM. It stalled mostly due to the various map editors corrupting my data like crazy, but recently some folks on the PK Hack board have been looking into picking up the project themselves. You can see more info here.

Anyway, the most impressive stuff I’ve seen so far is the map work. For example, here’s an alpha version of Snowman, the town where you get Ana (and where everyone gives you a cold, doh):

click for larger version

Here’s the original EarthBound Zero map for comparison.

Food_Eater did that map, and I gotta say, that’s some really awesome work! Editing EarthBound maps is pure hell, so this is really impressive work. If the PK Hack guys do decided to go through with this project, it’s going to take a REALLY long time and take a whole ton of work and organization. But man, it’d definitely be awesome to see it come to fruition someday 😀

Incidentally, if you want to see my really early work (just a few weeks’ worth) and try out a patch of what I got up and running, see my old post here.

20 Comments to Snowman in EarthBound Form

Halloween said on Jan. 30, 2011

Awesome!
I wonder why they changed the layout a little bit, but no complaints if this is advancing!

Qiezei said on Jan. 30, 2011

This looked pretty cool back when I first saw it. Too bad it didn’t get far.

Starstormer said on Jan. 30, 2011

Looks really profesional. I might have added a little more detail to the ground like grass, shading, ect. so it doesn’t look just plain white. So it would look kinda like the ground in winters in EarthBound.

Jason said on Jan. 30, 2011

I like how north west of the hospital you can access the mountain ledge.

Onion said on Jan. 30, 2011

So pretty….

LakituAl said on Jan. 30, 2011

Wah~! They even added the cross to the church! >w<

Mato said on Jan. 30, 2011

Halloween: the tile system works differently in EB and EB0, plus maps in EB generally have to be much smaller due to technical constraints.

Starstormer: It sounds like Food_Eater is going to add that stuff, that’s why I mentioned it was just an alpha version 😛

I remember seeing the original ebc post of this. I wonder if this project will ever be completed.
The map looks like Nintendo could’ve done it. I hope the other areas of EB0 look as good as this if this project is ever done.

G.Wicks said on Jan. 31, 2011

Oh man, that looks wonderful. If this project ever came to fruition and was done lovingly, carefully, and as accurate as possible (technical constraints are understandable) I would probably play this over and over and over. EB0 has such a great storyline. People who didn’t grow up with NES and can’t tolerate the graphics would finally be able to experience Itoi’s heartfelt genius represented by this story.

I really hope somebody finishes this! If it were a community project I’m sure it would be appreciated on a canonical level, and perhaps even translated into other languages.

tapioca said on Jan. 31, 2011

omg i hope they finish some day. ;o

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 31, 2011

This is awesome!

Zinco said on Jan. 31, 2011

God, Earthbound Zero is weird. Looking at the original map reminds me of that in a way I’m not sure I can describe.

TheZunar123 said on Jan. 31, 2011

@tapioca: I’m with you!

[…] Link Permalink […]

TeamMountainGaming said on Jan. 31, 2011

looks amazing! made it my desktop wallpaper 🙂

Captain Bozo said on Feb. 2, 2011

I actually did this a while back for a hack I was going to do for a fanfic that I abandoned. It never got finished, but here it is.

TheJorsh said on Feb. 2, 2011

ooh, nice.
I’d forgotten all about this.

windwaker1994 said on Feb. 4, 2011

this looks amazing! i really hope this gets finished. every other attempt at remaking EarthBound Zero fails and dies after only a short time but this one seems to be getting along nicely. i don’t even care if it’s not done all that well, i’ll still play it. anything would be an improvement on the original. going from the new map to looking at the old map comparison made my eyes hurt. i mean, i love the original, but the graphics are so dull in comparison to EarthBound’s and i’m so glad that EB0 is being given the chance to match EarthBound’s graphics.

~FireEmblem~ said on Feb. 25, 2011

windwaker1994: You basically said everything I wanted to say. The old maps really do make my eyes hurt, but at the same time, I want to play Mother 1. Having better graphics would make it a lot more inviting.

eruditebound said on Oct. 12, 2012

The only thing I care about is the theme since it’s my faviorite theme