Mother: Cognitive Dissonance 2.0 Released
January 29th, 2011 | MOTHER 1+2
Not everything in a translation project is exciting or especially interesting, but I figure it’s better to show progress than show nothing 😛 For the last couple days I’ve been working on a lot of the simpler hacking that needs to be done – in particular I’ve finished up the file load/select/create stuff.
The original Japanese screen has very small windows, which wasn’t enough for all the English text to fit in. In fact, for EarthBound Zero they had to completely rip some stuff out. I decided it’d be better to just expand everything out to get as much room as possible.
On the file select screen:
Copying a file:
Deleting a file:
What took the most time was figuring out how to change all the cursor locations. I was also thinking of changing the text speed option here to have the easy/normal mode selection, but I realized it’d be a lot more trouble than it’s worth – I’d have to remove the text speed option from the battle menus, plus it’d completely take out an option that existed in the original. My plan now is to stick a gift box in Ninten’s room, and inside it will be the Easy Ring. I’m sure that’ll be tough, but it seems doable.
Anyway, as I’ve been going along, I’ve been fully decompressing all these windows and blanking them out. This will help make it super easy for people to translate the game into their own languages without having to redo all this annoying work themselves. I’m also planning on adding international letters to the font like we did with MOTHER 3, so with any luck we’ll see translations of this into other languages too!
Next, I’ll probably tackle more of the various early screens, like the naming screens and the intro text.
Other Related Posts:
61 Comments to M1+2 Translation Update (Jan. 29)
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic