Earthbound SNES Authentic with working battery Rare Super Nintendo

January 28th, 2011 | Itoi

The MOTHER series’ creator Shigesato Itoi was once a well-known heavy smoker – on some days he’d smoke as many as 80 cigarettes a day! He finally quit in 2003 – not long after MOTHER 1+2’s release – and starting from the second day he wrote in a personal diary about his experiences giving up smoking. Being such a heavy smoker and a good writer, the stuff he had wrote about the subject while going through it is supposedly really poignant and something other people in the situation can relate to.

Anyway, he wrote in it every day for nearly two months, and after that he gradually forgot about it over time. The topic of quitting smoking has come up a lot lately, and he was reminded of his diary. It was originally just a personal thing he did for himself, but he felt it’d be helpful or insightful for other people wanting to quit, so he decided to put it into electronic book form. It’s all in Japanese so obviously I wouldn’t recommend buying it, but you can see his page about it here. An app version for iPad/iPod/etc. is available, or people can get it in PDF form too.

24 Comments to Itoi’s Book about Quitting Smoking

OKeijiDragon said on Jan. 28, 2011

80 cigarettes a day?!

bean said on Jan. 28, 2011

GhostSonic said on Jan. 28, 2011

This explains a lot actually.

MG said on Jan. 28, 2011

Assuming he sleeps for an average of 7 hours a day, that’s about 4.7 cigarettes an hour.

TBird said on Jan. 28, 2011

I wonder if he was aware of the removal of cigarettes from Mother 1+2.

TheCruePerson said on Jan. 28, 2011

This reminds me of the Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rockstar by Nikki Sixx. 🙂 Pretty interesting and cool. I would LOVE to give this a read but I don’t know how to read Japanese so…yeeaah. 😛

Fredrik said on Jan. 28, 2011

bean: hahahaha

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 28, 2011

Maybe Itoi quitting smoking had to do with the removal of cigarettes in Mother 1+2! :O
That’d be pretty interesting; “How censorship saved my life”. 😀

Anonymous said on Jan. 28, 2011

How did censorship saved his life?

Mato said on Jan. 28, 2011

Actually, I think he mentioned in some interviews that he quit when he got his dog. The removal of the cigarettes in M1+2 was mostly due to them using the EB0 prototype (complete with the censorship it received) for the game.

kyoo said on Jan. 28, 2011

he was the reason I quit smoking 😀 he’s my idol

linkdude20002001 said on Jan. 28, 2011

I meant the other way around. As in, they were using the American prototype for Mother 1+2, and then Itoi sees how they removed all the cigarettes and blah-blah-blah…decides to quit. 😀

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 28, 2011

^ That would be hilarious!

boogiebot said on Jan. 28, 2011

Perhaps our good ol’ Tomato could translate it? 😀

I’m kidding, I don’t expect Mato to translate this, and I don’t know he would anyway. I wonder if they’ll actually translate it officially though, and put it on the downloadable market?

It’s less unlikely than you think…

boogiebot said on Jan. 28, 2011

*how he would

Poe said on Jan. 28, 2011

Aw man, I bet that’s an interesting read. 80 cigs a day is absolutely crazy! I wonder what techniques he used to quit.

LakituAl said on Jan. 28, 2011

Many of my (death) idols perished because of cigarettes, so I’m happy to see he quit before it got him! If only the other ones had known that too!

Passerby said on Jan. 28, 2011

Thinking about it, it’s kind of worrisome. Smoking that much every day, he might not have long to live even if he’s living healthily now.

Of course, Japan has the highest smoking rate in the world and the highest life expectancy, so maybe he’ll be alright.

blahblah said on Jan. 29, 2011

(Enter Your Text Here)

chaobreeder20 said on Jan. 29, 2011

For someone to smoke 80 cigarettes a day may have meant he was depressed.

Ryan said on Jan. 31, 2011

I just started reading this. It’s very pointed, he seems to focus on the little things that changed as a result of his quitting. He becomes very sensitive to car exhaust, for one. He also had some difficulty maintaining his sleep schedule. It’s an interesting look at a challenge in life that I imagine (or hope) less and less people going forward will have to endure. It doesn’t sound pleasant, and it’s always good to have another reason not to smoke.

Anon said on Oct. 3, 2011

80 ciggarettes is 2 packs and a lil extra a day… that isn’t a big deal. I don’t know why some of you children are “shocked” but that is how much A LOT of smokers smoke daily.

Anonymous said on Oct. 21, 2011

80 cigarettes is actually 4 packs a day. As a smoker, no, as a rational human being, I can you; very few people smoke that much. Most don’t live past 50.

TomServo said on Nov. 17, 2011

80!? Thats like half of the day smoking!