Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

January 8th, 2011 | Auctions, EarthBound

For the really serious EarthBound collectors out there, two copies of EarthBound are up for sale on eBay that might interest you:

First is another copy of EarthBound graded by the VGA that’s selling for $2000:

I’ve seen a lot of VGA copies of EarthBound in the past – I can’t really tell if this is the same one as previous ones or if this is a new one that’s popped up. I think the earlier ones tended to have higher prices, at least.

Next is what appears to be a brand new copy of EarthBound selling for $900:

In the past year or two, we’ve seen some brand new copies of EarthBound sell for $1000 or even $6000. If you’re willing to plunk down that much money for a copy, definitely be sure to do your homework and ask the sellers lots of questions first. You can also find a lot of details like how the game was packaged, what came in a complete set, etc. over on Game Swag here.

Contrary to popular belief, EarthBound carts aren’t really that rare – there are tons of them out there for sale. They just fetch high prices because of the growing interest of the game since its release. New copies are definitely rare though. So if you’re rich/crazy/awesome enough, this is a good chance to get one!

17 Comments to EarthBound Gettin’ Pricey

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 9, 2011

Yea, I saw these today on eBay.
Speaking of eBay, did you get my message about da EB0 protoype I saw on eBay? If so is legit?

Mato said on Jan. 9, 2011

Yeah, I got it, sorry I didn’t reply. It was definitely not one of the original prototypes, it was a reproduction. Pretty much if it looks like an actual game, it’s not the real deal. Right now, the only know prototypes to exist are these ones:

Also see here: http://earthboundcentral.com/merchandise/

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 9, 2011

The guys trying to sell it for only $100, which made me really suspicious. A different reproduction cart. was only selling for $0.99. Is it possible to flag the sale or something for false advertising?

Bigjake52 said on Jan. 9, 2011

Yeah it is and you need an ebay acount to do that,
also I seen on verson with out the zero patch, so that makes it smell kind of funny if you know what I mean

Aangie said on Jan. 9, 2011

I actually got a copy of EarthBound for Christmas this year. It’s in almost brand-new condition (no rips or tears or even wear on the labeling) and it works perfectly. Only thing I was curious about is that is clunks around when you shake it. But, anyways, my mom said it was about 300$.

Brink said on Jan. 9, 2011

I got an EarthBound cartridge alone with the dust cover and it was around $50-$60. I got it and an FC Twin to play it on for $50. Looking back, it was well worth the money.

I’m thinking that maybe someday I could sell it. IF Nintendo brings it here somehow, I will probably sell it for some good cash and buy the new one.

kyoo said on Jan. 9, 2011

holy moses! that’s all i have to say about that.

Qiezei said on Jan. 9, 2011

New rule: if the games aren’t rare, they shouldn’t command such a high-ass price. They’re not rare in any sense (unless it’s new, of course) and it still costs almost $100 to get even a beaten-up cartridge. Ironically enough, no one seems to be buying them unless they’re under $80, and I don’t blame them, even if it’s as awesome as this game.

chaobreeder20 said on Jan. 9, 2011

So if what your saying is true,i could’ve bought a copy 10 years ago for around $30.00

Dlakii said on Jan. 10, 2011

Well, I clearly did not pick a good year in which to finally seek out a legitimate copy of the game. 😛

EBP said on Jan. 11, 2011

I found a copy on eBay locally, $104.95 AUD, cart only and Express postage…feelsgoodman

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 11, 2011

Ok, sorry that this is unrelated, but can someone please flag this eBay auction (can’t get an eBay account and do it myself):http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthbound-Mother-Nintendo-NES-/270689934220?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f06609b8c
It’s an Mother 1 Repro., claiming to be a proto. copy.
There’s already 8 bids on it and I don’t want someone to get ripped off.

EBchamp said on Jan. 11, 2011

@iwata kicks you know what – it does list that it is a reproduction cart of Earthbound for the NES, which it is. There are sites that can create reproduction copies of Mother 1/Earthbound 0 for the NES (my brother actually bought one) and it is just the English translated prototype ROM that they placed on an actual NES cart. I don’t think they say that it is a prototype in the auction so it should be legit. Thanks for checking that out though and helping out the fans.

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 11, 2011

@EBchamp
Last time I looked at this, the tittle had ‘rare prototype’ on it, so the guy must have changed it. He was also asking for $100 O.O . Sorry for producing unrelated comments.

As for the topic at hand:
I wonder how many EarthBound mint-condition copies there are these days…

astrangeoneEB said on Jan. 12, 2011

Holy hell. Yeah, glad I grabbed my copy at $175 (USD), but seriously disturbed.

I chose the wrong time to go hunting for Earthbound on ebay, no?

Matteomax said on Oct. 5, 2011

Jeez, I even saw a 1984 arcade machine for a cheaper price! It’s $399.00!

Kaabii said on Apr. 28, 2013